Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Chemistry...Before/After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

got totally different ans for those. 0.12 m/L and 4.38 g/L

i could be wrong though
    Got that too

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TMCGY

i could be wrong though

I got that too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

^^
    I got your answers too, I didn't divide because it was mol/l and g/l!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I scribbled out but-1-ene accidentally. Got a Kc of 704. Concentration reduces due to iodine forming a complex with starch.

Fantastic paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

This doesn't matter as it is only the conc that was changed

It does matter. If the HCl were in excess the new graph would level off at the same height as the old one. But as it's limiting, it'll level off at half the height of the old one.

• Advertisement

Why is a pipette filler used?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Great paper, pity that shorts and atomic theory were probably the hardest ones on the paper tho. Everyone still did them no doubt. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Feck, forgot to call it but-1-ene, just called it butene :( Does it matter?

For the pipette filler I said for accurecy and so you wouldn't suck up the solution....anyone else?

I'd say they'll accept butene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

Got the last part of Q2 wrong cause forgot about the yield and got 9.8 for Kc value :/
    Hopefully still do well though.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

TMCGY wrote: »
    Why is a pipette filler used?
    dmca93 wrote: »
    For the pipette filler I said for accurecy and so you wouldn't suck up the solution....anyone else?

My friends mam did science in TCD and they used to manually suck the liquid into pipettes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

I got 8, pretty sure that was right.

Same:D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

dmca93 wrote: »

Only accurate way to fill a pipette.. thats all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

i think the ans to the non-volatile liquid one was that we won't be able to measure the exact temp of the gas as the liquid will have a bp above that of water and in our calculations for volatile liquid we assume the temp of hot gas is the same as temp of boiling water? :)

and i also got 58.5 amu for rel atomic mass

What did we all say why PH3 bonding is different to the rest of the molecules?

For the pipette filler I just said "It sucks the liquid into the pipette and ensures accuracy" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I gave like 5 really obvious reasons for using a pipette filler, didn't know what they'd accept :L

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

i could be wrong though

I could be wrong also, I thought a lot of my answers seemed like fairly unreasonable figures.

For the ones I got wrong, I'd say I will still get most of the marks though, so I think my grade is mostly going to depend on how tough the marking scheme is, I'd say I secured the B I needed though!

@inverting the Kc - why? If Kc > 1 then the forward reaction is favoured, if it is less than 1 the reverse reaction is favoured, so if you invert it you are actually getting Kc for the reverse of the equation, this wasn't specified in the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Burette filler I said to prevent contamination and ensure more accurate result?

And the sodium tartrate colour in rates of reaction I said green-pink-green, instead of pink-green-pink :(. I get any marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kyle84

id say u did

• Advertisement

Completely guessed that one but I said it was non-polar covalent and the others were polar covalent due to the difference in electronegativity values

Ah sure you wouldn't want to suck it up anyway, would you?:P Hope they don't dock if it isin't needed!!

For the PH3 I said it wasn't polar and the rest were, it was the only thing I could think of and I justified it with electronegativity values. I don't know if that is right though because they specifically asked about polar bonds at the end of the questions......

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

leaveiton wrote: »
    Completely guessed that one but I said it was non-polar covalent and the others were polar covalent due to the difference in electronegativity values

Thats what I said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TheHazer

I said about them being non-polar due to the electronegativity difference being only .01 you?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Ok so for question 1 the calculations wer you meant to divide by two yes :(?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

leaveiton wrote: »

I said that too!
    For the last part of Q5 did anyone else say that the bcl3 molecules would be non polar due to symmetry?

Whats the substance that used to be added to petrol but now is stopped??

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Geo10 wrote: »
    I said that too!
    For the last part of Q5 did anyone else say that the bcl3 molecules would be non polar due to symmetry?

Yes, the centre of positive and negative charges lie at the same point due to its geometric shape so it's non polar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

TMCGY wrote: »
    Whats the substance that used to be added to petrol but now is stopped??

I said lead?

• Advertisement

I said lead.

Advertisement