Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Chemistry...Before/After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Why did the white bear dissolve in water?  

Because it was polar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

How're you finding it? Can't decide between Pharm or Chem and Process Eng in UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

ei.sderob wrote: »
    How're you finding it? Can't decide between Pharm or Chem and Process Eng in UCC.
    It's a great course but there's a big difference between the three courses you mentioned.

Pharmacy: First and foremost a professional healthcare degree. Probably the most versatile of the three as it allows you to practice as a pharmacist and allows you to work in almost all areas of pharmaceutical industry from regulation to production to analysis to clinical studies/research.

Chemistry: A much broader course with no particular focus on pharmaceuticals. What a chemistry degree will allow you to do depends on what exact subjects you pick in the course.

Process engineer: Just as the name would suggest your specialty will be designing processes. You provide solutions to problems in production. Say "Design a method to rapidly and economically convert compound A to compound B while maintaining high yield and purity." and you'd be expected to design the process necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

I'm probably leaning more towards Process Eng at this stage. Great job prospects and it consists of the majority of my favourite subjects. Need to find out what the hours are like first though. How much time do you spend in the lab in Pharmacy during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

ei.sderob wrote: »
    I'm probably leaning more towards Process Eng at this stage. Great job prospects and it consists of the majority of my favourite subjects. Need to find out what the hours are like first though. How much time do you spend in the lab in Pharmacy during the week?
    About 6-9 hours a week taking in to account clinical skills labs e.t.c.

To give you an idea of how it goes in TCD (All labs are three hours long)

1st year term one:
    Pharmaceutical chemistry (Organic synthesis) - One week on, one week off.
    Molecular/cellular biology - Every week
    Physical Pharmacy - One week on, one week off (Usually alternate to the first lab but in some cases in the same week)

1st year term two:
    Pharmaceutical analysis - One week on, one week off.
    Pharmaceutics (E.g. "Prepare a 0.02% suppository containing drug X") - Every week
    Clinical skills - One week on, one week off.

Over the remaining years, labs become a lot more varied. There are biochemistry labs, microbiology labs, pharmacognosy labs where you extract medicinal compounds from plants, analysis labs, clinical skills labs, formulation labs, sterile products labs, pharmacology labs and a whole lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

reznov wrote: »
    Why did the white bear dissolve in water?  

Because it was polar

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nayrneleh

ash2012 wrote: »
    yeah but i will have to change form class and and wont have extra study periods :/

I really wouldn't recommend it.
    It's an interesting course but it's a tough one and you really need the two years for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nayrneleh

I cannot put into words how much I am dreading this exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

nayrneleh wrote: »
    I cannot put into words how much I am dreading this exam.

put it into an equation then

• Registered Users Posts: 6 stmacsmagician

Lads WTF? If you want to be fags arguing some pointless shít being keyboard warriors please do so in your own time.

In the name of Zeus himself I command thee to leave. You've hijacked this thread to bits.

Back to chem, what experiment do you guys think is coming up for Q. 3 the organic? Fair few have not come up in recent years?

our chem teacher is fairly certain that the volatile liquid experiment will come up as question 3! that means more than likely that the rates of reaction could come up as a 7/8 which would be perfect!:) any ideas what will come up as question 1? im hoping for iron tablets, but doubt it!:/

• Advertisement

our chem teacher is fairly certain that the volatile liquid experiment will come up as question 3! that means more than likely that the rates of reaction could come up as a 7/8 which would be perfect!:) any ideas what will come up as question 1? im hoping for iron tablets, but doubt it!:/

Going on how successful the "tips" for the other papers have been, I would just try to learn everything, focussing on the Organics and Volumetrics experiments, since 2 of them always come up!

Next would be Fuels and heats of reactions.

A good starting point I guess, best to learn everything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

What are you lads doing thinking about chemistry? We've loads of time, yis are making me feel bad :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SmurfOxide

ash2012 wrote: »
    hey :) i'm just finishing 5th year and was wondering is it too late to pick up chemistry?? is it hard and would i have enough time to achieve a high grade ? thanks

Oh god DO NOT DO IT!!! I hate the subject with a burning passion and am most definitely going to fail the blasted thing next week. Unless you are a natural genius OR are gonna work non stop, no exceptions, don't take it up. I think you either get it or you don't, and if like me you don't you will be snookered. If I were you I would just focus on what you're at now, unless you are thinking that line for college, but if not just forget about it. I know two people that enjoy it? Yeah and they don't have a life..(I'm only joking by the way, actually good friends with one of them). just evaluate how smart you actually are (not what you want to be) and also how much time you can give it. good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

So what do I study in order to get a D1? All Organic, Equilibrium, Titrations, Atomic Theory... what else?

lol I enjoy chemistry and I do have a life. People who fail at chemistry failed to understand the principles behind it.

Fundamentals are ESSENTIAL in the study of chemistry. It takes around a year to get on an A level.

Even with all that, Coeur, a D1 will be difficult to pull off if they throw a spanner into the works. But yes! LEARN all the organic xperiments and titrations. Guaranteed marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

SmurfOxide wrote: »
    Oh god DO NOT DO IT!!! I hate the subject with a burning passion and am most definitely going to fail the blasted thing next week. Unless you are a natural genius OR are gonna work non stop, no exceptions, don't take it up. I think you either get it or you don't, and if like me you don't you will be snookered. If I were you I would just focus on what you're at now, unless you are thinking that line for college, but if not just forget about it. I know two people that enjoy it? Yeah and they don't have a life.. just evaluate how smart you actually are (not what you want to be) and also how much time you can give it. good luck!

Hey hey hey.. that's just like your opinion man! :cool:

It is a tough enough subject relatively speaking. But if you but in the work it will become second nature to you and its a lovely short course in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

SmurfOxide wrote: »
    Oh god DO NOT DO IT!!! I hate the subject with a burning passion and am most definitely going to fail the blasted thing next week. Unless you are a natural genius OR are gonna work non stop, no exceptions, don't take it up. I think you either get it or you don't, and if like me you don't you will be snookered. If I were you I would just focus on what you're at now, unless you are thinking that line for college, but if not just forget about it. I know two people that enjoy it? Yeah and they don't have a life..(I'm only joking by the way, actually good friends with one of them). just evaluate how smart you actually are (not what you want to be) and also how much time you can give it. good luck!

You are entitled to your opinion but I disagree. I don't think Chemistry is that difficult, once you have an interest in it and are willing to keep up with it as you go. As my teacher keeps saying, ''if you keep up with the work [which isn't a whole lot, really] you'll do really well, if you don't you'll have a lot to catch up on''. If you pay attention in class it's no harder than most other subjects. That and the fact the paper is usually really easy. They always ask the same or similar questions on each topic every year.

Also, if you are planning to do a science subject in college, it's a good one because apparently Chemistry is one of the harder ones to pick up if you don't have a Leaving Cert background in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

How is everyone sorted for this exam? I am ****ting it as I was expecting to get at least a B2 in Biology but after the exam will probably get a C2 :( Probably need to get a B in chemistry now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

David1994 wrote: »
    How is everyone sorted for this exam? I am ****ting it as I was expecting to get at least a B2 in Biology but after the exam will probably get a C2 :( Probably need to get a B in chemistry now :(

Pretty good actually... I love chemistry, and studied my ass off for it.. so happy we have another 5 whole days to study for it :)

• Advertisement

Ok could anyone give me a defined definition of le chateliers principle?
    I gave one in the mocks from my revision book but didnt get full marks for it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Ok could anyone give me a defined definition of le chateliers principle?
    I gave one in the mocks from my revision book but didnt get full marks for it :P

When a system at equilibrium is subjected to a stress, the system will readjust itself so as to minimise the effects of the stress. (system = reversible reaction in this context)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

So which experiments would ye think are likely to come up, apart from a titration and organic one?

Mista wrote: »
    So which experiments would ye think are likely to come up, apart from a titration and organic one?

Benzoic acid maybe... , volatile liquid,reaction between HCL and NaOH.
    I know there are probably more likely ones but cannot think of them at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Benzoic acid maybe... , volatile liquid,reaction between HCL and NaOH.
    I know there are probably more likely ones but cannot think of them at the moment :)

Are you talking about OL? the HCL/NaOH titration isn't on the HL course.

finality wrote: »

Nope honours... :P I think there is a question like heat of reaction between HCL and NaOH. I could very wrong now but I just remember one where you use polystyrene cups and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

ETHANAL AND WINKLER!! I would cry with happiness if they came up, along with Volatile liquid or something :pac: If you can do good in the experiments, your laughin for the rest of the test. A normal equilibrium question with definitions, Haber-Bosch etc would be lovely aswell.

finality wrote: »

It is, under Fuels and Heats of reaction. Look over it!

Pepperr wrote: »
    It is, under Fuels and Heats of reaction. Look over it!

I knew it thank you for clarifying! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

It's the heat of neutralisation of HCl and NaOH that's on, not the titration.

Advertisement