Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Chemistry...Before/After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

David1994 wrote: »
    Nope honours... :P I think there is a question like heat of reaction between HCL and NaOH. I could very wrong now but I just remember one where you use polystyrene cups and stuff like that.

Ooooooooooh yeah, completely forgot about that one :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Benzoic acid is very unlikely come up. It was up last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Benzoic acid is very unlikely come up. It was up last year!

And the year before :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

What could be likely to come up? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

Well, 4 days left till d-day. I decided to take the chemistry exam last December and have opened my book for the first time today. Hopefully I'll be able to get through it all and get a nice B out of it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

eia340600 wrote: »
    Well, 4 days left till d-day. I decided to take the chemistry exam last December and have opened my book for the first time today. Hopefully I'll be able to get through it all and get a nice B out of it..

You're trying to do the Chemistry course in 4 days?

Good luck. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

You're trying to do the Chemistry course in 4 days?

Good luck. :p

Trying being the operative word! I need 160 between this and physics. I'm hoping for some kind of miracle in the Chem exam that will let me bring my book in with me. Maybe some sudden blindness in the invigilator???

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

eia340600 wrote: »
    Trying being the operative word! I need 160 between this and physics. I'm hoping for some kind of miracle in the Chem exam that will let me bring my book in with me. Maybe some sudden blindness in the invigilator???

a good start would be to get off this.. :D

definitely study organic and atomic theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

a good start would be to get off this.. :D

definitely study organic and atomic theory.

^^ This!!

Also, if you know the experiments well enough that's three questions sorted. That along with organic and atomic theory should get you by well enough, as long as you know a couple of other key definitions and stuff from other areas.

Let us know how you get on. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

And look over rates of reactions and chemical equilibrium, they could be a full question by themselves :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

"To study some oxidation-reduction reactions" one of the mandatory experiments

Does this ever come up anywhere? I haven't seen it anywhere, am I missing something?

"To study some oxidation-reduction reactions" one of the mandatory experiments

Does this ever come up anywhere? I haven't seen it anywhere, am I missing something?

The ones with sodium thiosulfate, iodine solution, potassium permanganate, bleach (sodium hypochlorite).. don't think they're on OL :)

No I mean the ones with the halogens, like adding chlorine to pottasium bromide where you get an orange colour due to the Br2, all those, have any of you seen any of that ever being asked?

No I mean the ones with the halogens, like adding chlorine to pottasium bromide where you get an orange colour due to the Br2, all those, have any of you seen any of that ever being asked?

Oh.. nope, I've never seen anything like that.. why do you ask?

They were asked in a mock back in like 2003 or so but they would be difficult to get a 50marker on them unless they have some ox red. Eqns to balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

They could come up in a section B question on redox too.

ChemHickey wrote: »
    They were asked in a mock back in like 2003 or so but they would be difficult to get a 50marker on them unless they have some ox red. Eqns to balance.

Well I wouldn't be too worried if it was only in a mock :)

Either way, it's making an appearance on our paper..

Either way, it's making an appearance on our paper..
    Hopefully. they're simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ashalingable

can someone post a link of the chemistry syllabus? my teacher wasn't too good to say the least and i want to make sure im not leaving anything out! :)

• Advertisement

can someone post a link of the chemistry syllabus? my teacher wasn't too good to say the least and i want to make sure im not leaving anything out! :)

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/uploadedfiles/PDF/lc_chemistry_sy.pdf

To investigate Le Chatelier's principle using 3 named experiments.

Anyone ever see this come up anywhere? Also a mandatory experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

well I'm pretty sure we can't even do two of them, because of banning :/ So I don't think they'd ask us a full question on it. Maybe part of the equilibrium question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Well a a question on it came up in like 2003 or 2004 :P But it was only part of a equilibrium question. We never even did that experiment :P Well we never did a lot tbh...(Crap teacher) Have had to do most of the chemistry work on my own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

I've had a quick look at the final experiment in the water chapter, the one on free chlorine in water, is there any point in looking at studying it thoroughly? I mean it hasn't come up like. Neeeeed the A1!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Is anyone else leaving out the chapters on organic families and reactions? Have 3 days to start revising for this and I never studied organic (except the fuels and heats of rxn chapter) in the first place! So won't have time to!
    That organic comes up as 2 Qs so should be grand!
    Also my teacher never did an option with us but I'm going to study industrial/ atmospheric chemistry out of rapid revision. I started today and its the easiest section in the whole course. Having done geography and biology covers half of it!

I hope there's a big focus on atomic theory. I also love nuclear chemistry water and acids/bases. Hopefully the rates, equilibrium and fuels Qs aren't too tricky!! I should be ok for Q1 and Q3 too once I start revising!!

ei.sderob wrote: »
    I've had a quick look at the final experiment in the water chapter, the one on free chlorine in water, is there any point in looking at studying it thoroughly? I mean it hasn't come up like. Neeeeed the A1!!!

Do. It could come up as Exp Q3 as a half question, or he could try and stretch it out to get 50marks on it but it's unlikely. A half question definetly is possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

What do people think of the Organic Reactions question. That's the one with addition/substitution etc., reaction mechanisms and evidence..

It can be a difficult one but last year it was quite a difficult one so I'm optimistic that they'll be kind this year. :rolleyes:

If you need an A1 I think you should study everything. I wish people couldn't just get them by narrowing down the course and guessing what will come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

If you need an A1 I think you should study everything. I wish people couldn't just get them by narrowing down the course and guessing what will come up.

But predictions are always right! Take English from this yea.. oh wait.. I know, take English from a few years ago when Bolan.. oh right.

don't you just love predictions?

Advertisement