Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kicked out of park for playing Ultimate Fisbee

• 13-05-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

So for the last 3 years myself and a group of friends have always played Ultimate Frisbee in Herbert Park during summer times months (April to August/September). Last week (i was not present) the park warden told my friends they would have to leave the park as there was no sports allowed to be played in the park. Now we are stuck with no place to play....

I found the following Bye-Laws document online and I was wondering could you legal peeps take a look at section 4.15 GAMES AND ATHLETICS and let me know what you think:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/DublinCityParks/Documents/ParksBye-Laws2D.pdf

I think its mad that in a public park with massive greens areas that we would not be allowed throw a Frisbee around. Is this something to do with Public Liability?

If I felt I had enough ground to stand on I would be happy to speak with each of my local Councillors.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

It's fairly straight forward - get in contact with your local council and get somewhere set aside for it as its states in the bye-laws. There may be a fee for insurance etc.

Yes I would suspect it's down to a piece of plastic being hurled around the place at speed and the risk of it colliding with someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Gosh, whatever next, no running in the playground in case one of the kids might fall over.

Playground would be insured and supervised, of course. Ultimate Frisbee is a bit different to a the game of Frisbee you see between a big busted French girl and two impossibly thin guys called Pierre and Jean - Paul in those 80's tricalore French instruction tapes though :)

I do however echo your sentiment that things are getting a bit out of hand in some respects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Gosh, whatever next, no running in the playground in case one of the kids might fall over.

afraid that's already the case in most schools especially the ones which replaced the grass with tar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I think the policy is more to do with the authorities not wanting smelly hippies in their park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I think the policy is more to do with the authorities not wanting smelly hippies in their park.

I would sincerely hope that you were not referring to my friends and I as smelly hippies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Carry on playing and tell the warden to go eff his mother next time he hassles you.

Let's see the big brave warden head off to Ballymun and get the local kids to stop riding their stolen dirt bikes around the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I do however echo your sentiment that things are getting a bit out of hand in some respects.

jesus that is the understatement of the year - this country seems hell bent on litigating itself to a standstill.
    The modern Irish excuse why something can't be done is '' Insurance reasons '' or '' Liability issues ''.

I'm not sure it's really that bad. People seem to think Ireland is litigation happy but no one ever brings up any figures to prove it. On the other hand I've heard a few people, who's opinions I would say carry some weight, say Ireland wouldn't have the same number of cases per capita as England.

The problem is that people don't take things as having 'just happened'. This is especially true in regard to children. It really depends on where you draw the line. I can't really think of any activities that I have a problem doing once I've paid my dues some of which go toward insurance.

Not sure I'd want to be out for a nice walk and have a Frisbee to the face either to be honest. I'm not saying this is true of the OP but there are an increasing number of people out there who simply have no regard for anyone else. That unfortunately feeds into things needing to be insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I blame the judges. Irish parents bring cases to court because their little Johnny has falling over and scrapped his knee. Judges then award thousands in compensation instead of telling the parents to take a hike and give little Johnny a lollipop for his sore knee.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I'm not sure it's really that bad. People seem to think Ireland is litigation happy but no one ever brings up any figures to prove it. On the other hand I've heard a few people, who's opinions I would say carry some weight, say Ireland wouldn't have the same number of cases per capita as England.

I have seen the figures. I can't remember them, but we're not as bad as England. Unless your name is Johnny Ronan - who's taking the Irish people on for 5 billion. Apparently, it's our fault that his mad business schemes collapsed.

And England is much worse for people taking claims against insurance. And from people I know working in insurance - dealing with the UK, the level of insurance fraud is staggering. Ambulance chasers pay people to walk up and down the street with "have you been in an accident sandwich boards".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I blame the judges. Irish parents bring cases to court because their little Johnny has falling over and scrapped his knee. Judges then award thousands in compensation instead of telling the parents to take a hike and give little Johnny a lollipop for his sore knee.

In fact thousands of little jhonnys scrape their knee each year with little more than a lollipop for their troubles. Taking a case to court is more than saying my son or myself fell, there is a need for a medicial report showing that a real injury has happened, there is need for a report from an Eng saying the reason that the injury happened is not little Jhonnys fault but the fault of the silly man who decided not to fix the slide that caused little Jhonny to get a 3 inch cut up his leg.

There are numerous cases in all courts that are thrown out every day by judges as they have no basis. I would also say that the majority of cases are never decided by a judge but by PIAB or an Insurance company agreeing to pay compensation without going to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Well the byelaw mentions games or athletics or football

Is frisbee throwing a game?
    Is it athletics?

The byelaw does not mention sports as the warden is alleged to have said

Interestingly, a horse is defined as a donkey and an ass...
    But not a ginnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Live around Herbert Park and have frequented it over the past 2 years or so. I've seen kids playing football, groups throwing rugby balls around, softball, hurling - you name it, the games are played in all of the fields in the park. I myself run there twice a week, at a minimum.

That warden must really have a desire to engage in confrontation.

Or he'd had a complaint.

Advertisement