Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question : called as witness in court, when is it safe to book holidays ?

• 13-05-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, and please excuse my total ignorance, but I am wondering would anyone be able to tell me the answer to the following question / situation :

I've been called as a witness in a case in the dublin circuit criminal court for a date in June. Now I've never been involved in court or the law or anything before so I'm not sure how long the case will last, or if I need to be there for the whole trial or what happens or if the trial is adjourned or "put back" or whatever happens. To cover the day I've been called for and the day after I've booked 2 days off work in the hope that that might be enough.

Seperate to that I want to book some holidays (3 weeks off for a big family holiday) but my problem is I'm not sure now when I can be absolutely sure the court won't require me to be there. I checked on the courts service website, and it looks like the courts don't sit in August or September - Is this correct ? Can anyone confirm if thats right ? What i'm trying to find out is : if I book holidays for 3 weeks in august / september, can I be absolutely 100% sure that the case I'm a witness in won't be on then.

The summons I got said I'd be in contempt of court if I disobeyd the summons so I'm really concerned.

I'd really appreciate any information. Thanks.

Comments

the courts close for the month of August apart from a few district courts dealing with immediate things.

safe enough for you to book for then. if you can hold off until the first day of the court case, you should get a better idea of what day you will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 abcd12345

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Most circuit court criminal trial will go ahead in the day set for them, it's a rare one that goes over two days. If you are a witness for the prosecution contact the state solicitor of you want a better idea in the particular case.

The above post is correct all court officially closed for August except emergancy business. The circuit court and higher courts also closed for September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

I wouldn't worry using up your holidays.

Simply produce the witness summons to your employers and inform them that the Circuit Court has required your attendance on X date for a trial and you are not sure how long it will go on for.

It might be a bit of a pain for your employer, but it's something outside both your control, you are obliged to comply with the witness summons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

If you are called by the DPP you may be entitled to expences including lost wages see page 18 attached. http://www.dppireland.ie/filestore/documents/Attending_Court_ENG1.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement