Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day Skipper and Charters

• 13-05-2012 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the limit is for charter on the RYA day skipper? I've heard tell of 30'. I've also had personal experience of some companies letting people out with Comp Crews... Ahem...

Does it very much depend on where you are etc?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are you talking about in Ireland or abroad? I think it very much depends on where you are, although I also think they're getting keener on paperwork all the time.

We chartered in Croatia twice, last time about 5 or 6 years ago, and were told that they were the stickiest for papers, so arrived armed with all sorts of qualifications. Neither time did they so much as ask to see any of it.

Having said that, I'd hate to have damaged the boat and be trying to process an insurance claim without it....

I've never heard of a length limit depending on what level of cert you have.

The minimum acceptable is the International Certificate of Competency (ICC) which is somewhere between Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper. It's a half day assessment, practical, and I'm not sure if there's a theory test involved as well. That's internationally acceptable for bareboat charters.

HTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On further digging (googling), it would appear that your Day Skipper cert entitles you to an ICC.

http://www.irishsailingassociation.com/Portals/0/TrainingSection/ICC/Guide%20to%20the%20ICC.pdf

Didn't think that was the case....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Sorry I should have said ICC - it's a Radio qual and something else minor.

ICC is 30ft?

Advertisement