Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Battle Lines Are Drawn:Bayern Munich VS Chelsea (UEFA Champions League Final )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I think Bayern will win 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I reckon, whoever scores the most goals will win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I reckon, whoever scores the most goals will win

Insightful :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Anyone else think that it's funny for the Yids to be supporting a German team instead of a local one???

Football IS a funny game :)
    It means an awful lot more than supporting the local team ffs, if Chelsea win it is very likely the top players for spurs will leave and the revenue generated will not be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Hard to know who will win this one. It's setup for a Bayern win in Munich but that could also work against them given the pressure and expectation. Chelsea are not expected to win so they can go out and give it a bash. Bayern were pap against Dortmund so I don't think Chelsea will fear them and they will know how to exploit them.

Injuries for both sides but I think the biggest miss will be Ramires. He's really a key player for them now motoring box-to-box and they'll miss his work rate big time as they don't really have a replacement for that kind of player. Bayern will miss that Alaba lad big time too though, he's fairly pivotal for the way they go forward. Makeshift Chelsea defence is the only major concern they have.

Drogba will probably start ahead of Torres but Torres has been in good for of late too so is a good option to bring off the bench if push comes to shove. I think it'll be a good match but Bayern might have too much down the left side and will be able to exploit Bosingwa. I reckon Bayern will win 2-0 but it won't surprise me at all if Chelsea win. Could really go either way but based on performances and missing players you'd have to side with Bayern. Hope its a good match and would like to see Torres grab the winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

‎1.The last team (Inter Milan) to knock Barcelona out of the Champions League went on to lift the trophy and win the competition against Bayern Munich in the final.

2.The last time Atletico Madrid won the Europa League, Chelsea won a Double.

3.The last English team (Manchester United) to knock Barcelona out of the Champions League, went on to lift the trophy and win the competition.

4.An English team (Manchester United) has previously won the FA Cup and gone on to win the Champions League, beating Bayern Munich in the final who lost the DFB Pokal during that season.

5.The last time Manchester City won the league title, an English team (Manchester United) won the European Cup.

6.All Champions League finals played in Munich produced a winner of the competition for the first time in their history (Nottingham Forest, Marseille and Dortmund). They all took place in Bayern Munich’s previous home, the Olympiastadion.

7.The last time Manchester United went Trophyless an English Club won the Champions League (Liverpool) and they didn't finish in the top 4 .

8. The Champions League Finale is on 19-05 n Chelsea Football Club was found in 1905

And last but not least:

9. 2000: Quarterfinal
    2004: Semifinal
    2008: Final
    2012: ???

LUMP ON CHELSEA!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its getting closer.

I think for all its worth we're going to line out with :
    Cech
    Bosingwa Cahill Luiz Cole
    Mikel Lamps
    Torres Mata Kalou
    Drogba

OR

Cech
    Bosingwa Cahill Luiz Cole
    Essien Mikel Lamps
    Kalou Drogba Mata

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Pedro Proença to referee Chelsea v Bayern Champions League final

Pedro Proença will take charge of Chelsea's Champions League final against Bayern Munich. Photograph: Jose Coelho/EPA
    Portugal's Pedro Proença will be the referee for Saturday's Champions League final between Bayern Munich and Chelsea at the Allianz Arena, Uefa has confirmed.
    Proença, 41, was in charge of the second leg of the last-16 clash between Internazionale and Marseille this season, and last term he was in charge of Manchester United's semi-final second leg against Schalke.
    He will be assisted in Munich by his compatriots Bertino Miranda and Ricardo Santos. The fourth official will be Carlos Velasco Carballo from Spain.

Might be a good omen with us having a few good Portuges in our team over the years and now some spanish too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Brilliant post Blatter :D

Gav your first line up looks like the one i think Di Matteo will play, although i prefere your second.
    The second line up is much stronger defending wise and we will still have speed and trickery in our counter attacks.........plus the DROGSTER!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Im going to be a nervous wreck and it's going to be tight, but...

I think Bayern have too much for Chelsea even with both squads at full strength and if anything the Chelsea suspensions weigh heavier than the Bayern ones.
    Ivan, Terry & Mereiles gone is huge. Question marks over Cahill and Luiz but i expect them to play. Ramirez is the only one with pace in their squad so that's good too.
    Chelsea have been riding their luck in this competition.

Bayern are going to be struggling without Badstuber as they are thin in the middle but everything else is going to be alright. And defending is not their strength anyway. Overall Bayern have been pretty strong in this competition and it simply has Bayern written all over it this year.

Hopefully not going to the wire, 2:0 Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Tending to a win for Bayern Munich, a narrow one. Home advantage an stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Really starting to feel the nerves now. Been avoiding thinking about it but the closer it gets the more I'm like "**** yeah we're going to win. Drogba is going to destroy their cbs."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Blatter wrote: »

LUMP ON CHELSEA!!

Pedro Proenca:

Bayern Games
    15-Mar-11
    Bayern M. 2:3 Inter

03-Nov-09
    Bayern M. 0:2 Bordeaux
    English Teams
    02-Nov-11
    Villarreal 0:3 Man City

04-May-11
    Man Utd 4:1 Schalke

07-Dec-10
    Man Utd 1:1 Valencia

16-Sep-09
    Liverpool 1:0 Debrecen

20-Aug-09
    Fulham 3:1 Amkar

18-Dec-08
    Tottenham 2:2 Spartak M

29-Nov-07
    Tottenham 3:2 AaB

30-Nov-06
    Eintracht 0:0 Newcastle
    I think I see a pattern.

Masked Man wrote: »

LUMP ON CHELSEA!!

Pedro Proenca:

Bayern Games
    15-Mar-11
    Bayern M. 2:3 Inter

03-Nov-09
    Bayern M. 0:2 Bordeaux
    English Teams
    02-Nov-11
    Villarreal 0:3 Man City

04-May-11
    Man Utd 4:1 Schalke

07-Dec-10
    Man Utd 1:1 Valencia

16-Sep-09
    Liverpool 1:0 Debrecen

20-Aug-09
    Fulham 3:1 Amkar

18-Dec-08
    Tottenham 2:2 Spartak M

29-Nov-07
    Tottenham 3:2 AaB

30-Nov-06
    Eintracht 0:0 Newcastle
    I think I see a pattern.
    I'm not sure I follow?!?

Surely Bayern had a few more home games between 09 and now? And are we drawing conclusions on a CL final based on how Pool once played v Debrecen? Or are we talking finals? I don't recall a Bayern final in 09. You have me :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Boskowski wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow?!?

Surely Bayern had a few more home games between 09 and now? And are we drawing conclusions on a CL final based on how Pool once played v Debrecen? Or are we talking finals? I don't recall a Bayern final in 09. You have me :confused:

Pedro Proenca is the ref. The matches he is quoting are the Bayern matches he has reffed (Bayern have lost) and the Matches with English teams he has reffed (English team has never lost)

• Advertisement

Bayern is going to play like this (sport1.de confirmed)

Neuer
    Lahm-Boateng-Timoschtschuk-Contento
    Kroos-Schweinsteiger
    Robben-Müller-Ribery
    Gomez

I like it. Weak defense even weaker but very strong 6ers right in front of them. Looks strong enough to me.

Heres hoping that Chelsea can show that they are Back for Good and they can Relight My Fire and make it the Greatest Day in My Life (Marriage and birth of children accepted byes!)
    I Pray that we can Reach Out as it Only Takes A Minute to score the winning goal and for us to Shine.
    Cos I''ll Never Forget and It Could Be Magic if we go on and Rule The World and Roman shows a little Patience

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Blue is the Colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Come on Bayern!

91165p.jpg?rnd=601

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

THFC wrote: »
    Come on Bayern!

91165p.jpg?rnd=601

An early Bayern goal to calm the nerves would be nice. I am so nervous about this game, just as nervous as I would be if the mighty Lillywhites were playing. Come on Bayern!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

An English club VS a German one in a major final. Is there a Russian linesman by chance?! :eek:;)

KingdomYid wrote: »
    THFC wrote: »
    Come on Bayern!

91165p.jpg?rnd=601

An early Bayern goal to calm the nerves would be nice. I am so nervous about this game, just as nervous as I would be if the mighty Lillywhites were playing. Come on Bayern!!!!!!!
    Lily whites!!! I like it since my true colors are the same (TeBe Berlin) and there seems a joint cause here. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

With that Bayern Lineup I think a 4-2-3-1 is in order for Chelsea.

Chalobah and Todd Kane haev come along

Just home to watch the preview on SS2!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Like the reference to Essien; for one night only........

For a good few Chelsea players it'll be for tomorrow night only.

C'mon the Chels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Gonna go for a bayern win, always had a soft spot for em. Have an old jersey of theirs with scholl on the back :D

Just hoping for a really good game of ball most of all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

‎1.The last team (Inter Milan) to knock Barcelona out of the Champions League went on to lift the trophy and win the competition against Bayern Munich in the final.

3.The last English team (Manchester United) to knock Barcelona out of the Champions League, went on to lift the trophy and win the competition.

4.An English team (Manchester United) has previously won the FA Cup and gone on to win the Champions League, beating Bayern Munich in the final who lost the DFB Pokal during that season.

5.The last time Manchester City won the league title, an English team (Manchester United) won the European Cup.

6.All Champions League finals played in Munich produced a winner of the competition for the first time in their history (Nottingham Forest, Marseille and Dortmund). They all took place in Bayern Munich’s previous home, the Olympiastadion.

7.The last time Manchester United went Trophyless an English Club won the Champions League (Liverpool) and they didn't finish in the top 4 .

8. The Champions League Finale is on 19-05 n Chelsea Football Club was found in 1905

And last but not least:

LUMP ON CHELSEA!!

In 2010, Leinster won the Heineken Cup, Man Utd finished second in the league, Blackpool won the Championship play-off, Atletico Madrid won the Europa League...........and Bayern Munich lost the Champions League final!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I've a sneaking feeling Chelsea might win this one.

Di Matteo is proving himself to be fairly astute tactically such as in Nou Camp (and Stamford bridge) where they scored on the counter attack and parked the bus on front of goal.

He might try the same again, against Munich. I expect Munich to dominate possession and Chelsea have most players behind the ball for much of the game and hope to sneak something on a counter attack.

WIN!

• Advertisement

But Chelsea have practically no pace with Ramires not being there.

G.K. wrote: »

Kalou is no slouch ;)

Hence the practically...

Kalou is no slouch ;)
    He's got the brain of a slug though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Torres, Kalou, Mata, Sturridge and Malouda are no slouches. Chelsea will miss Ramires big time, but not because of his pace.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I reckon, nigh on hope, Bayern will win. It will, however, by no means be easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

And last but not least:

LUMP ON CHELSEA!!

Statistics mean **** all, 68% of all people know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Bayern Munich 7-1 Chelsea

If that's the score I will be seething, backing over 8.5 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Im hoping for a Chelsea win, pity away goals don't count :D

I think Chelsea should approach this game with the intention of taking it to Bayern, if we just sit back and defend we'll be beaten, If Drogba is on form tonight he'll cause Bayern serious problems.

I also think Bertrand should play out on the left as him and Cole will obviously be solid defensively but will both give good attacking options too.

What ever the outcome of the tonight's game I'm hoping the nerves won't be too much that I can't enjoy it, it's been a pretty crazy season but what a way to finish it.

KTBFFH !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't see how anyone can rationally predict a Chelsea win here.

What about against Napoli or Barca...

gosplan wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone can rationally predict a Chelsea win here.

Care to explain?

What about against Napoli or Barca...

To give Chelsea their dues, they've been brilliant all season at home in the CL. However, now they're away to Bayern who have been equally brilliant at home.

Also IMO they're missing their 3 best players which includes their two best defenders. The only legs they have left in midfield is Mikel ... Cahill and Luiz are now doubts aparrently. Gomez has been amazing at home in the CL.

How can you predict a Chelsea win???

To give Chelsea their dues, they've been brilliant all season at home in the CL. However, now they're away to Bayern who have been equally brilliant at home.

Also IMO they're missing their 3 best players which includes their two best defenders. The only legs they have left in midfield is Mikel ... Cahill and Luiz are now doubts aparrently. Gomez has been amazing at home in the CL.

Well first of all in a two horse race anything can happen, then there's the Barca game at the camp nou where Chelsea played with 10 men and 1 recognised centre half and got a draw. Also SSN reporting the Di Matteo is very hopeful that Luiz & Cahill will both start.

To say any team hasn't got a chance in a final is nonsense IMO whatever the circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Did you see who is missing for Bayern?

Gustavo is a huge loss and will leave a gaping hole in their midfield. They also have to play a central midfielder at centre back, switch Lahm to left back and play Rafinha.

They have, imo, bigger problems than Chelsea who have a better squad to cope with the suspensions.

Saying that Bayern should obviously be favorites with the home advantage but I definitely think Chelsea are being undervalued by the bookies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I mean Bayern are rightly strong favorites but are by no means unbeatable here. Personally think it's the weakest final since Porto v Monaco. Dortmund tore Munich asunder time after time on the counter last week and whilst Chelsea clearly can't boast quite as ruthless an attacking threat they'll obviously adapt similar tactics which imo gives them a fighting chance tonight. You also wonder how much last weeks humiliation has dented Bayerns confidence.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    To say any team hasn't got a chance in a final is nonsense IMO whatever the circumstances

Who said that?

Who said that?

Me the caveman :pac:

You said it but worded it different

Did you see who is missing for Bayern?

Gustavo is a huge loss and will leave a gaping hole in their midfield. They also have to play a central midfielder at centre back, switch Lahm to left back and play Rafinha.

They have, imo, bigger problems than Chelsea who have a better squad to cope with the suspensions.

Saying that Bayern should obviously be favorites with the home advantage but I definitely think Chelsea are being undervalued by the bookies.

Agreed, Blatter.

just on that point, it's looking as though they'll play Contento and keep Lahm on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Can't speak for the other Chelsea fan regulars to the forum but I've been getting some amount of "best of luck" texts from my mates, from United to Liverpool to Arsenal to Villa fans. A few are even traveling to watch the game with me later, I have to say I'm delighted, we need every ounce of luck we can get today.
    Bring on the Bayern!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement