Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Battle Lines Are Drawn:Bayern Munich VS Chelsea (UEFA Champions League Final )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Easily the least deserving team to ever win this trophy. They won't care too much though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

i've never seen a team getting such a slating after winning a CL title, poor chelsea can't win even when they win (even if the game was technically a draw :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Chelsea have got their Champions League win under their belts now. I would wager we will win it sooner than they will in the future.
    Sadly we'll all be cold in the ground when that happens :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

donfers wrote: »
    i've never seen a team getting such a slating after winning a CL title, poor chelsea can't win even when they win (even if the game was technically a draw :))

They won't give a toss tbf. Were unlucky on occasions over the years!

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Easily the least deserving team to ever win this trophy. They won't care too much though

it's a fair assessment mate but they'll call you bitter for it as they carry on waving their plastic flags ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Well that's pretty sickening, even worse that Drogba got the winner.

This makes me happy. Very, very happy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Do Arsenal enter the CL qualifying stages because of this or who fills that void if not?

They have to play a qualifying round now!

Geez, can't get over the bitterness in here.

Fair play Chelsea, enjoy the win. Can't beat winning the big one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

This makes me happy. Very, very happy. :D

Nice to know Will....I like to do my bit to help out the last less fortunate.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Bayern had chance after chance to win it - I've never seen such bad shooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

El Spearo wrote: »
    I really like the man, and he has done good work....BUT

that wasnt a wow performance...
    nor was the barce game...

luck isnt made by matteo...

and dont get me wrong...i do respect everything that happened...and well done chelsea, but this is some pretty thick plaster over the cracks to me...
    They did what they had to do to win, and they won. 'Wow performances' aren't what win trophies, victories are. I'd rather win an ugly 1-0 than lose an enthralling 5-4

If he doesn't get the full-time job it will be a crime; surely even Abramovic knows this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

CSF wrote: »

it's a fair assessment mate but they'll call you bitter for it as they carry on waving their plastic flags ;)
    And to be fair, they're entitled to. Ain't the fans fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Nice to know Will....I like to do my bit to help out the last less fortunate.;)

Less fortunate?

FA Cup winners and European Champions. If that's being less fortunate, then by God I hope it continues :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Wonder if Geoff shrives will remind terry of the court case and bayern players that they didn't win ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What is it about the plastic flags that annoy people so much? I have never understood it!

Bayern had chance after chance to win it - I've never seen such bad shooting

would you admit you were lucky and they played you off the park? or is the result everything and if park the bus gets the result then why not park the bus?

maybe some chelsea fans are disappointed that they didn't win it in style

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Daemos wrote: »
    They did what they had to do to win, and they won. 'Wow performances' aren't what win trophies, victories are. I'd rather win an ugly 1-0 than lose an enthralling 5-4

If he doesn't get the full-time job it will be a crime; surely even Abramovic knows this

yeah fair point...

what im really trying to get across seems to be impossible :P

im basically saying well done, but understand why there is apparent bitterness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

would you admit you were lucky and they played you off the park? or is the result everything and if park the bus gets the result then why not park the bus?

yes it is Ted, they knocked out Barcelona, came from an impossible position to beat Napoli, were the first team to beat Benfica away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I watched the match on RTÉ but it seems that Gary was at it again tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Im far from a Chelsea fan but some of the hate is a bit sad.

Well done Chelsea. Hope you lot enjoy your night.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    What is it about the plastic flags that annoy people so much? I have never understood it!

It's an environmental thing.

Do you know how long it takes for plastic to de-compose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Chelsea have done EXACTLY what they needed to do in every stage of the knockouts. They have neutralised some of europe's most potent attacking threats. They have had the drive to pull out goals when needed and emerge victorious from a succession of unlikely positions. They have shown strength and resolution under immense pressure. And yeah, they've had lucky escapes. But how anyone can believe Chelsea don't deserve the title after watching their games is truly baffling. They have been incredible. be proud, Chelsea fans, ignore the hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

rarnes1 wrote: »

Should be a 12c tax on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Jesus Christ who gives a **** they won, statistics means **** all results mean everything! Well done Chelsea football can be played many different ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

It's something some jealous people think they can use to belittle Chelsea. Hard to do though when they've just won the champions league.

Completely. The Barca games and this one we were completely outclassed and played a woeful brand of football far removed from what Roman wants.

But it was enthralling and if highly paid strikers had taken their chances it would have been very different. But jessuss Cech only made one save of note, the rest were so far wide it was unreal.

When Chelsea did attack we showed we did have something to worry them but we just didnt do it enough

We didnt park the bus tonight , we just couldnt get out

Anyway I'm very very happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

monkey9 wrote: »
    They have to play a qualifying round now!

No they dont. All 4 English teams are straight in to the group stages.

• Advertisement

Aquila wrote: »
    _60355754_60355750.jpg
    Enjoy folks!

I'd say Terry will be happy with Bosingwa !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Terry should have kneed him out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

jesus christ what is so hard to understand here????

If Chelsea play Stevenage in a cup tie they go out, play good expansive football and demolish the opposition.

If they play Barcelona or Bayern and do that, they will get demolished.

They did exactly what they had to do for the games in question. When they needed to play good quality attacking football (Napoli at home) they did it. You cant just blindly go out and try play nice attractive football no matter what the cost. This is something Trapattoni knows very well and he gets similar criticism (in spite of results).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Chelsea knocked out a decent Napoli team after pretty much being hammered three one in Naples.

They got a decent draw in the next round against Benfica, but Benfica are no mugs

Semi finals? Barca!! Barcelona lads. Nou Camp second leg. Barca go two up. Chelsea knock them out.

The play Bayern Munich in the final! In Munich's own stadium! And they beat them on penalties!!!

Don't give me this bullsh!t that they are the least deserving winners of this trophy. They bloody deserve it. Munich p!ssed all over Chelsea tonight, but that's just tough sh!t if they couldn't put the ball in the net enough times to win the trophy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Before worrying about plastic flags, we need to protest against the makers of shaving blades. They give like 2 extra blades but there is room for 5 on the holder they give! Think of all that wasted plastic :(

• Advertisement

Bosingwa will come home early some day to catch JT balls deep in his missus! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

They didn't play them off the park though. They had a huge amount of half-chances but only one clear-cut chance with the penalty that they subsequently missed. Everyone knew they would get chances but tactically Chelsea did everything right. Even after the first 3 or so corners Chelsea were happy to keep putting the ball out for a corner, something you don't see a team doing often; they usually try get a bit more out of it and put it out for a throw. Bayern offered nothing from corners and were, bar a spell of 15 or so minutes in the first half, limited to taking shots from outside the box. The goal they scored was only a half chance and it was just a cross into the box because they couldn't play it through Chelsea's defence.

Chelsea were lucky in the sense that they had one chance and took it. Due to how they played the game it looked like they were played off the park but in reality they werent, if they were they would have lost in normal time. In the CL final the result is everything, Chelsea were always going to park the bus because Bayern are a superior team. It's like when teams come up against Barcelona and try to play like Barcelona; they lose because Barcelona are the best at being Barcelona. Park the bus like Chelsea did this year or like Inter did under Mourinho and you have a good chance. Defending like that takes certain qualities too though, any manager with a brain will have his team play to their strengths and thats what RDM did tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

What's your definition of 'played off the park'? Better still, what's the point of it if you don't take your chances? I'll take being played off the park and winning every game 1-0 for the rest of my lifetime thank you very much, that's because the game is about winning....not passing, possession or shots on target. Playing a defensive, a counter attacking game is every bit as valid a tactic as a free flowing, attacking game.

This idea that only the pretty teams should win is fairly idiotic.

Completely. The Barca games and this one we were completely outclassed and played a woeful brand of football far removed from what Roman wants.

But it was enthralling and if highly paid strikers had taken their chances it would have been very different. But jessuss Cech only made one save of note, the rest were so far wide it was unreal.

When Chelsea did attack we showed we did have something to worry them but we just didnt do it enough

We didnt park the bus tonight , we just couldnt get out

Anyway I'm very very happy!

and so you should be

Us fans of other clubs can analyse and complain and whinge and take the mick but at the end of the day youz are champions and that answers everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think it will go down to penalities with Chelesa winning

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is plain to see that Chelsea did not deserve to win the CL

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Congrats Chelsea. You get what you deserve in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

monkey9 wrote: »
    Don't give me this bullsh!t that they are the least deserving winners of this trophy.

Yup, they beat 2 out of the 3 top teams in the competition. The only team they didn't beat along the way was Madrid but Madrid didn't go far enough to play Chelsea so wcyd. You can only beat who is in front of you!

Bayern get the moral trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Either did Bayern so , sure they only scored as many as Chelsea and miseed more penos. They needed penos to knock out Madrid too.

Maybe is the "right" team doesnt win the competition they should just declare it void for a season?:rolleyes:

Bayern got Basel in the 2nd round and actually managed to lose a leg to them ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

jive wrote: »
    They didn't play them off the park though. They had a huge amount of half-chances but only one clear-cut chance with the penalty that they subsequently missed. Everyone knew they would get chances but tactically Chelsea did everything right. Even after the first 3 or so corners Chelsea were happy to keep putting the ball out for a corner, something you don't see a team doing often; they usually try get a bit more out of it and put it out for a throw. Bayern offered nothing from corners and were, bar a spell of 15 or so minutes in the first half, limited to taking shots from outside the box. The goal they scored was only a half chance and it was just a cross into the box because they couldn't play it through Chelsea's defence.

Chelsea were lucky in the sense that they had one chance and took it. Due to how they played the game it looked like they were played off the park but in reality they werent, if they were they would have lost in normal time. In the CL final the result is everything, Chelsea were always going to park the bus because Bayern are a superior team. It's like when teams come up against Barcelona and try to play like Barcelona; they lose because Barcelona are the best at being Barcelona. Park the bus like Chelsea did this year or like Inter did under Mourinho and you have a good chance. Defending like that takes certain qualities too though, any manager with a brain will have his team play to their strengths and thats what RDM did tonight.

A great post but the bolded bit is still wrong. It's clinical, not lucky. Chelsea knew they would have **** all chances and would need to be efficient with what they got. They did that. Bayern, like Barca before them, were exceptionally wasteful and Chelsea, yet again were clinical where they needed to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Not a Chelsea fan at all but congratulations to them. Played the game they needed to win and did so. Would never begrudge them the victory.

That being said the fact that bayern couldn't hit a barn door helped them massively. Very wasteful in front of goal.

As others have said its better a tight game then an expensive goal-fest if you get the result your looking for and Chelsea done that tonight.

Well done and enjoy the night Chelsea fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Some people trying to belittle Chelsea's Champions League win because they didn't go out and outclass Bayern are the definition of bitters. The type of kid who gets in a strop because it's their brother/sister's birthday and they are getting presents while spoiled child gets nothing.

Imagine if it was your team in Chelsea's place. You would be crying your eyes out with joy. Get a grip.

Jesusss my daughter was right - there was a streaker!

• Advertisement
Advertisement