Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Battle Lines Are Drawn:Bayern Munich VS Chelsea (UEFA Champions League Final )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

It is plain to see that Chelsea did not deserve to win the CL

Just because they were affiliated with Rangers, you are bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Jesusss my daughter was right - there was a streaker!

Don't tell me it was john terry again hogging the limelight:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

monkey9 wrote: »
    Chelsea knocked out a decent Napoli team after pretty much being hammered three one in Naples.

They got a decent draw in the next round against Benfica, but Benfica are no mugs

Semi finals? Barca!! Barcelona lads. Nou Camp second leg. Barca go two up. Chelsea knock them out.

The play Bayern Munich in the final! In Munich's own stadium! And they beat them on penalties!!!

Don't give me this bullsh!t that they are the least deserving winners of this trophy. They bloody deserve it. Munich p!ssed all over Chelsea tonight, but that's just tough sh!t if they couldn't put the ball in the net enough times to win the trophy!

This.

Welcome to the club Chelsea fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

No they dont. All 4 English teams are straight in to the group stages.

I heard some journalist say that Arsenal would go into the qualifying stage. But fair enough!! I admit, i have no idea and never do about all this stuff where if some team wins a cup what therefore happens to the teams who finish in a certain position in the league. It's like long division!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

whats German for epic fail?

Munich...

winning with 5 mins to go, all over Chelsea for most of the game, missing a peno in extra time, squandering a 2 goal lead in the shoot out.

cant have any sympathy for a team to screw up like that.

only if JT was not such a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

had to turn it off near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Essien wrote: »
    A great post but the bolded bit is still wrong. It's clinical, not lucky. Chelsea knew they would have **** all chances and would need to be efficient with what they got. They did that. Bayern, like Barca before them, were exceptionally wasteful and Chelsea, yet again were clinical where they needed to be.

It's still true though cause that giant Neuer could make all kinds of saves no matter how clinical you are. It is clinical but I still believe you need the rub of the green. Barca were wasteful at the Bridge IMO, scored twice at Nou Camp but didn't really get a chance to be wasteful after that. I don't even think Bayern were particularly wasteful tonight they were just limited to half chances and struggled creatively to generate anything more than that. Even the goal was just a half chance.

Having said all that, Drogba's was SOME header hahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

No they dont. All 4 English teams are straight in to the group stages.

I heard some journalist say that Arsenal would go into the qualifying stage. But fair enough!! I admit, i have no idea and never do about all this stuff where if some team wins a cup what therefore happens to the teams who finish in a certain position in the league. It's like long division!!

Just got clarification. Arsenal are fine. Anderlecht now go from 3rd qualyfing round to group stages, Basel move up to 3rd qualifying round and Linfield up into 2nd qualifying round. All rather complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Chelsea fully deserve to win because we are capable of changing tactics to suit the opposition,

Lets not forget, its pretty much the SAME team tonight who set a Premier record for the most goals scored and the first team in english history to score 7 goals or more in 4 games in a season

And thats a team that was called old then!

SO all you bitters, Chelsea are an amazing team and proved it AGAIN tonight

Not a fan of George Hamilton but I had to laugh at Dunphy when he started to accuse him of making slanderous remarks over the air regarding Di Matteos future. Of course its not like old Eamo to be reckless, or off the cuff with his remarks about things during his lifetime working in the media is it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Not a fan of George Hamilton but I had to laugh at Dunphy when he started to accuse him of making slanderous remarks over the air regarding Di Matteos future. Of course its not like old Eamo to be reckless, or off the cuff with his remarks about things during his lifetime working in the media is it :rolleyes:

Ha yeah he really hung poor auld George out to dry. Not sure why he got so indignant about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

oh dear. Its obvious we've done something successful when so many pour jealous bile at us.

Yes, we were lucky this year. Like we were unlucky on many times since that "ghost goal" at Anfield. I feel sorry for the Bayern team and fans. I thought it was a wonderful gesture by Chelsea to give them a guard of honour at full time.

Tonight ( and Napoli, and Barca) just balanced the bad luck out. I'll take lucky any day.

CAREFREE . Just blissful peace now. We have done it! The monkey is gone. our shoulders are free. I can see the sky. and guess what...

ITS BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!

So proud.

LOVE CHELSEA .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Bayern lost it moreso than chelsea winning it.

For all their superiority they were awful with their finishing. Whatever about clear cut chances but even some half chances you have to make the goalie make a save. Blasting it into sky or scuffing it wide is never going to win anything.
    Robben id be happy to see the back off. Every time I see him he's all flashy and full of trickery but he does actually create **** all and is way too selfish. Was most visible in the league v Dortmund and also v Real and of course tonight.
    Also an option up front is required since Gomez is actually not that good a footballer and lives of his instinct but can run very cold at times too.
    Also while obviously not really visible tonight - a real quality centre back is needed. Boateng is still young and will still learn but can be a liability at times, badstuber very similar. Van buyten is 34 and also as seen one suspension makes you play a midfielder in that position. That's not good enough for a European top side.

2nd in the league, 2nd in the cup and 2nd in the champions league. A great season and yet an awful one.

:(

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    oh dear. Its obvious we've done something successful when so many pour jealous bile at us.

Yes, we were lucky this year. Like we were unlucky on many times since that "ghost goal" at Anfield. I feel sorry for the Bayern team and fans. I thought it was a wonderful gesture by Chelsea to give them a guard of honour at full time.

Tonight ( and Napoli, and Barca) just balanced the bad luck out. I'll take lucky any day.

CAREFREE . Just blissful peace now. We have done it! The monkey is gone. our shoulders are free. I can see the sky. and guess what...

ITS BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!

So proud.

LOVE CHELSEA .:D

For what its worth i thought Chelsea were excellent tonight and fully deserving of their win and i wouldn't begrudge them their success one bit. Another team would have given up after Bayerns late goal but credit where due Chelsea stuck at them. Very impressed with Luiz and Cahill especially the former. Collossal at the back.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Robben id be happy to see the back off. Every time I see him he's all flashy and full of trickery but he does actually create **** all and is way too selfish.

He's a bird brain Bill!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Tipp Gunner...

Be honest !!

you're just happy about the poor Spuds losing the CL spot!!! :D

as am I.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Blue is the colour, football is the gameWe're all together and winning is our aimSo cheer us on through the sun and rainCos Chelsea, Chelsea is our name.

Sorry Spurs, should have made sure of 3rd spot.

Robben id be happy to see the back off. Every time I see him he's all flashy and full of trickery but he does actually create **** all and is way too selfish.

He's a bird brain Bill!! :D
    Let me guess. John giles?

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    Tipp Gunner...

Be honest !!

you're just happy about the poor Spuds losing the CL spot!!! :D

as am I.

No in fairness i watched it completely neutral as the result had no bearing on Arsenal but i thought Chelsea played excellent at the back and credit to them they got their result for their endeavor.

I will admit tho i chuckled a bit when i realised that the 'top dogs in North London' wont be taking their place amongst the elite next season :)

Let me guess. John giles?

Close....Good old Eamo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bayern lost it moreso than chelsea winning it.

For all their superiority they were awful with their finishing. Whatever about clear cut chances but even some half chances you have to make the goalie make a save. Blasting it into sky or scuffing it wide is never going to win anything.
    Robben id be happy to see the back off. Every time I see him he's all flashy and full of trickery but he does actually create **** all and is way too selfish. Was most visible in the league v Dortmund and also v Real and of course tonight.
    Also an option up front is required since Gomez is actually not that good a footballer and lives of his instinct but can run very cold at times too.
    Also while obviously not really visible tonight - a real quality centre back is needed. Boateng is still young and will still learn but can be a liability at times, badstuber very similar. Van buyten is 34 and also as seen one suspension makes you play a midfielder in that position. That's not good enough for a European top side.

2nd in the league, 2nd in the cup and 2nd in the champions league. A great season and yet an awful one.

:(

Big spending spree coming I think! At least our team is sh*te now so they wont be taking our players like they have in the past with DVB and Olic :pac:

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Ha yeah he really hung poor auld George out to dry. Not sure why he got so indignant about it.

Dunphy never discusses affairs that dont concern him....just ask Rod Liddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

319810_10150790184261886_191178311885_9550263_214341740_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

In '99, Keane wore his suit to the final and ducked the limelight, saying the moment wasn't for him. In all honesty, Terry is a classless príck, and Lampard should have lifted it himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Aquila wrote: »
    bayern56.jpg

Like Zola (25) the number (11) should never be worn by any other Chelsea player in the Future.

Drogba your a CHELSEA LEGEND

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

St.Spodo wrote: »
    In '99, Keane wore his suit to the final and ducked the limelight, saying the moment wasn't for him. In all honesty, Terry is a classless príck, and Lampard should have lifted it himself.

All the hate towards Terry for wearing his Chelsea kit, yet none for Ivanovic.

People are bitter and should really get over themselves.

Oatesy23 wrote:
    Big spending spree coming I think! At least our team is sh*te now so they wont be taking our players like they have in the past with DVB and Olic :pac:
    Yea reckon so. They tried for Pizarro I guess they gonna move in on Berba in the summer. And at the back? I'd love to get Hummels but that might not be possible. I'm pissęd off with robben since the dortmund game (league). Can't blame Ribery for decking him. Unfortunately they just gave him a new contract. Will have to settle for someone like Berba and someone like Hummels and see what can be done next year. Sound like a Liverpool fan now. :(

St.Spodo wrote: »
    In fairness now I really don't like the character JT but he is a great player and captain and the suspension in the final does not mean he didn't deserve the medal. Think you're overdoing it.

Was thinking about it earlier and just seeing it again. The group of players lifting the trophy looked fairly small, was it the full squad of 25? Theres usually he other squad players etc too. Is it just that it was up a ****load of steps rather than a podium on the pitch and only the matchday squad plus the likes of Terry and Ivanovic went up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Just watching the ITV highlights and interviews, and I don't think you can dislike Di Matteo. He comes across as a positive and affable chap.

• Advertisement

All the hate towards Terry for wearing his Chelsea kit, yet none for Ivanovic.

People are bitter and should really get over themselves.

I didn't even see Ivanovich!!!! And that says it all. John Terry is parading around that pitch in his Chelsea kit like he's played a part!!

Roy Keane is a proper captain! He missed the final for the team! Terry missed the final because of his own bullsh!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The outrage towards Terry is hilarious. He's club captain, Chelsea through and through, and has just won the Champions League. Once in a lifetime opportunity to lift that trophy so he was dead right to take it. Great player on the park and now has all the top club honors, no wonder he was delighted.

Well done Chelsea, very happy for them and their great players. Fuck the haters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

What an amazing few weeks for the beautiful game of football. 2012 will go down in history. Epic drama with Man City in the title race, epic drama with Chelsea winning the Champions League on pennos. Had so many ups and downs this season, Fabrice Muamba, Stilian Petrov, Gary Speed, yet the game reminds us time and again why we love it. Great few weeks and hopefully the Euros build on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I didn't even see Ivanovich!!!!

He was the guy sitting on the goal with a Serbian flag wrapped around him. Kinda hard to miss.

I didn't even see Ivanovich!!!! And that says it all. John Terry is parading around that pitch in his Chelsea kit like he's played a part!!

Roy Keane is a proper captain! He missed the final for the team! Terry missed the final because of his own bullsh!t

Ivanovic was sitting up on the crossbar with a flag around him waving. In his full Chelsea kit.

Jez its a bit sad when all the ABC's have to moan about is JT wearing his Chelsea Kit for ***k sake get a grip.
    As for Roy keane proper captain??? Japan World Cup 2002

Masked Man wrote: »
    He was the guy sitting on the goal with a Serbian flag wrapped around him. Kinda hard to miss.

Ivanovic was sitting up on the crossbar with a flag around him waving. In his full Chelsea kit.

LOL!! Genuinely didn't see him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

In fairness now I really don't like the character JT but he is a great player and captain and the suspension in the final does not mean he didn't deserve the medal. Think you're overdoing it.

I think he deserves his medal, I just think he'd have came out of it looking a lot better had he let the players who won the cup lift it first and he certainly shouldn't have worn his kit. Neither should Ivanovic, btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Roy Keane tonight on ITV basically admitted his mistake was always thinking "we'll get back here another year" - i.e. he'd be back in the Champions League Final as a player. 1999 against Juventus was an absolute heroic performance and the manner of his suspension for the final kinda added to the heroism. I think if he had his time over he may have celebrated more on the pitch that year. JT was just an eejit in his semi - but that doesnt take away from what this means to him and Chelsea. He is Mr Chelsea, he's put his body on the line for that club thousands of times.....and the fact he's a tit off-field at times should not detract from him celebrating this big time. Good luck to him.

On a side note, the people we love to slag (Cashley, Didier) were magnificent tonight. Ashley Cole in particular was immense.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The outrage towards Terry is hilarious. He's club captain, Chelsea through and through, and has just won the Champions League. Once in a lifetime opportunity to lift that trophy so he was dead right to take it. Great player on the park and now has all the top club honors, no wonder he was delighted.

Well done Chelsea, very happy for them and their great players. Fuck the haters.

You're wrong. He's only had 350+ appearances for the club and played for them for his entire professional career. He had no part in getting them into the Champions League nor did he play any role in getting them through the groups and knockout stages. I don't know what he was even doing in the stadium tbh. He should have been sat at home thinking about what he did in Barcelona. I for one, am outraged. Roy Keane wouldn't have done it. Paul Scholes said he didn't win in 1999 but only REALLY won in 2008. Terry has no class, let me reiterate that I am outraged. I might even be offended, I haven't decided yet.

mobby wrote: »
    Jez its a bit sad when all the ABC's have to moan about is JT wearing his Chelsea Kit for ***k sake get a grip.
    As for Roy keane proper captain??? Japan World Cup 2002

Wow!! Is ABC a term now???

I've already said, fair play to Chelsea. I'm not commentating on Chelsea winning the Champions League. I'm referring to the fact that it was a little bit uncomfortable seeing John Terry in a Chelsea kit lift that trophy when he had nothing to do with it.

He lost the head in the semi final when he thought Chelsea were heading out. Compare that performance to Roy Keane in 99!!!

Someone has mentioned Saipan! I was always on McCarthy's side in that one!! But that's not the point!!

Wow!! Is ABC a term now???

I thought it was a song :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

What an amazing few weeks for the beautiful game of football. 2012 will go down in history. Epic drama with Man City in the title race, epic drama with Chelsea winning the Champions League on pennos. Had so many ups and downs this season, Fabrice Muamba, Stilian Petrov, Gary Speed, yet the game reminds us time and again why we love it. Great few weeks and hopefully the Euros build on this.

That game tonight was far from a thing of beauty. The standard of football on show was pretty dire at times, and I can't bring myself to support a side who spends so much money just to serve up yet another backs to the wall performance. 2012 has been far from a vintage year.

I've already said, fair play to Chelsea. I'm not commentating on Chelsea winning the Champions League. I'm referring to the fact that it was a little bit uncomfortable seeing John Terry in a Chelsea kit lift that trophy when he had nothing to do with it

Not sure if srs. How did he have nothing to do with it? One could argue they wouldn't have gone through with 11 men against Barca. One could also argue he had a hand in getting them to the semi's. One could even go as far as to say he played for the in the premiership 2010/2011 season securing their spot in the CL for the 2011/2012 season. One could do that, you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

LOL, it takes a special level of loser to still be going on about Terry and Chelsea in the negative at 1pm in the morning !

See you at the CUP DOUBLE parade! Terrys driving the same bus we parked at Barca ;)

On a side note, the people we love to slag (Cashley, Didier) were magnificent tonight. Ashley Cole in particular was immense.

Funnily enough I think Cole is an unsung hero at times. He's been performing consistently for so long I think he just gets overlooked when it comes to getting credit despite being consistently called one of the best full backs in the game. It's even more surprising because he's English and by fúck to the English blow everything out of proportion when it comes English footballers that actually have talent.

LOL, it takes a special level of loser to still be going on about Terry and Chelsea in the negative at 1pm in the morning !

See you at the CUP DOUBLE parade! Terrys driving the same bus we parked at Barca ;)

Like It :D

A special level of loser?? Is there some timeframe that i should be abiding by?? By all means, go ahead and celebrate your victory! But i'm posting on a subject that i would post on whether it was my team or not. If Steven Gerrard got himself sent off in the semi final selfishly the way Terry did, i would only want Carragher lift that trophy!!

The CUP DOUBLE parade??? Is this the bit where you accuse me of being bitter?? Fair play to Chelsea. You's deserve the trophy!! I'm not saying otherwise.

There are bad losers!! But Jesus Christ, there are bad winners!! Certain Chelsea fans seem to be looking for an arguement that just isn't there!!

Oh....and there's no such thing as 1pm in the morning!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement