Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Battle Lines Are Drawn:Bayern Munich VS Chelsea (UEFA Champions League Final )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

LOL at all the chelsea haters that gave them no chance tonite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I cant stop watching SSN - brilliant stuff! and the whole game starts again in a min!

monkey9 wrote: »
    A special level of loser?? Is there some timeframe that i should be abiding by?? By all means, go ahead and celebrate your victory! But i'm posting on a subject that i would post on whether it was my team or not. If Steven Gerrard got himself sent off in the semi final selfishly the way Terry did, i would only want Carragher lift that trophy!!

The CUP DOUBLE parade??? Is this the bit where you accuse me of being bitter?? Fair play to Chelsea. You's deserve the trophy!! I'm not saying otherwise.

There are bad losers!! But Jesus Christ, there are bad winners!! Certain Chelsea fans seem to be looking for an arguement that just isn't there!!

Oh....and there's no such thing as 1pm in the morning!!

Seriously whats the point of dissing Terry? We won the cup, JT HAS been a part of that and of Chelseas success so why not just leave it out and let us enjoy? Your like the neighbour who rings the cops cos the noise is too loud!

Chelsea - champions of Europe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

There was a bit of talk about how consistent Chelsea have been in the cl. Just saw this on the bbc website:
    This was the 100th Champions League match for Chelsea since Roman Abramovich assumed ownership of the club in June 2003. Since then, no other team has played more than 91 Champions League matches and only one team has won more points than Chelsea's 180 (Barcelona with 190 points from 91 matches).

We earned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Drogba is a legend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Seriously whats the point of dissing Terry? We won the cup, JT HAS been a part of that and of Chelseas success so why not just leave it out and let us enjoy? Your like the neighbour who rings the cops cos the noise is too loud!

Honestly, i'm im no way taking away from your night!! It's an amazing feeling and one i hope to feel again!! I'm not having a go at Chelsea here. Far from it. I admit, i really don't like the club and certain elements attached to it, but you's completely and utterly deserved to win the European Cup tonight over the course of the season.

I'm just making the point that seeing John Terry lift that trophy, decked out in the Chelsea kit as if he played a part, was f*cking ridiculous!!! He's no Roy Keane. And i knew full well he would do that!!!

But i say it again, well done Chelsea!!! They completely and utterly deserved it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

St.Spodo wrote: »
    In '99, Keane wore his suit to the final and ducked the limelight, saying the moment wasn't for him. In all honesty, Terry is a classless príck, and Lampard should have lifted it himself.

Keane didn't wear his kit in 1999 because he was told he wasn't allowed on the pitch, nor was he allowed to lift the trophy, whereas Uefa had already confirmed with Terry that he could lift the trophy. Keane didn't get his hands on the trophy until about half an hour after it was presented to United.

I thought it was nice Terry was togged out... showed that it meant a lot to wear the jersey along with the rest of his team mates. Not sure Keane would show that kind of emotion...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

sorry for this , might be slightly off topic, but who seen essien get jocked by kalou / drogba?? :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Congratulations to Chelsea on the win.

I honestly can't believe their last 3 games in this competition. In any normal circumstance they would have lost by 2/3 goals in all of them. Name on the trophy since that 1st game against Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Keane didn't wear his kit in 1999 because he was told he wasn't allowed on the pitch, nor was he allowed to lift the trophy, whereas Uefa had already confirmed with Terry that he could lift the trophy. Keane didn't get his hands on the trophy until about half an hour after it was presented to United.

I thought it was nice Terry was togged out... showed that it meant a lot to wear the jersey along with the rest of his team mates. Not sure Keane would show that kind of emotion...

What the fcuk are you on about? ....look at the performance of the two men in the semi finals....one dragged his team back from the dead...the other did his very best to drag his own team out

keith16 wrote: »
    What the fcuk are you on about? ....look at the performance of the two men in the semi finals....one dragged his team back from the dead...the other did his very best to drag his own team out

What the **** are you on about? Keane was told he wouldn't be allowed on the pitch or collect the trophy, hence his suit. Terry was told he could collect the trophy, hence the jersey, to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb in photos and to serve as a reminder in years to come that he missed out on the biggest game in Chelsea's history.

You seem to have other issues with Terry though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd say Terry is fuming that Bosingwa is blocking him in every photo of the trophy lift. Sweet sweet irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

i think its laughable all the john terry hate, my ****ing god, if you were chelsea through and through you deserve to celebrate...**** all this roy keane ****, fact is chelsea won and terry enjoyed it as much as anyone else, ****in delighted for em...congrats lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Chelsea were supposed to win the Champions League this year. I've been thinking about it...

They lose to Bayer Leverkusen, and have to beat Valencia to progress from the group stage, despite very poor league form, they perform on the night and do it.

They are well beaten in Naples by a dangerous Napoli side. At Stamford Bridge Napoli squander chance after chance early on, Chelsea score, then score again. They progress against the odds.

Despite having no league form to go off, they play well in both legs vs Benfica and deservedly progress to earn the noble honor of losing to Barca in the semi... Or so everyone thought.

It remains a mystery how the ball stayed out of Chelsea's net that night at the Bridge. Bizzare. Drogba pounces on the counter. It doesn't matter, Barca will win 3-0 at the Nou Camp, right? Wrong. Barca go 1-0 up and are slaughtering Chelsea, then their captain gets sent off for a moment of mind-boggling stupidity. 2-0 down now, down to 10 men, out of nowhere Ramires scores a gorgeous chip and they get the away goal lead. Barca get a penalty and the best player in the world has a chance to end it, he hits the cross bar... Chelsea hang on, and to prove the rediculousness of their situation, a hoofed clearance sets Fernando Torres, the poster-boy of Facebook abuse, through on goal and he seals the win.

The final. Bayern lay seige to the Chelsea box, chances are being blown sky high and scuffed wide by players who outplayed Real Madrid in the Bernabeu. Bayern score, they have to see out 4 mins have played 86 without giving Chelsea a sniff. Corner. Goal. How? Drogba scores from an angle you really shouldnt be able to score a header from. Penalty. Bayern have the chance in extra time to win the Champions League final. The man they give the responsibility to is Arjen Robben, who scored a penallty against Real... But also missed a penalty and then an open goal against Dortmund to surrender the league title. He misses. Chelsea win on penalties.

If I typed that at the start of the season, people would be suggesting I take to to the Fiction writing forum. What a ridiculous journey the Chelsea players went on. It's actually like a Disney film.

They were destined to win it. Sincere congratulations to them and their fans. A great football story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Wel done Chesea.

I'm actually very happy for Drogba. He is a great guy off the pitch, and a great player on his day. A very fitting way to end his Chelsea career if he leaves now.

BlueBaron wrote: »
    i think its laughable all the john terry hate, my ****ing god, if you were chelsea through and through you deserve to celebrate...**** all this roy keane ****, fact is chelsea won and terry enjoyed it as much as anyone else, ****in delighted for em...congrats lads

Well, we're not all Chelsea through and through and hence we can say what a joke it was that Terry was parading about in his regalia!! It was embarrassing to look at.

It takes nothing away from what Chelsea achieved tonight! They are Champions of Europe and deservedly so,but Terry was a joke! Maybe it should have it's own thread or something be cause it's obviously going to start a ****storm when Chelsea fans should celebrate!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The outrage towards Terry is hilarious. He's club captain, Chelsea through and through, and has just won the Champions League. Once in a lifetime opportunity to lift that trophy so he was dead right to take it. Great player on the park and now has all the top club honors, no wonder he was delighted.

Well done Chelsea, very happy for them and their great players. Fuck the haters.

Ahahaha!! Says the anti Liverpool lad!!!! Yeah, f*ck the haters alright!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea, 1st team frkm London to win the UCL :pac:

Carefree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you know, if it another player, a universally liked player, who was missing the game but lifting the trophy, i reckon people on here would think it was great that he was kitted out in the teams strip to show solidarity with the club and those who performed on the night

it seems to me people only have an issue coz it was terry

gavredking wrote: »

Carefree

Means nothing!!!! Arsenal have qualified for fifteen seasons in a row!! That's a real trophy!!! :cool:

monkey9 wrote: »

Carefree

Means nothing!!!! Arsenal have qualified for fifteen seasons in a row!! That's a real trophy!!! :cool:

Meh we won it thats the main thing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Helix wrote: »
    you know, if it another player, a universally liked player, who was missing the game but lifting the trophy, i reckon people on here would think it was great that he was kitted out in the teams strip to show solidarity with the club and those who performed on the night

it seems to me people only have an issue coz it was terry

Its funny you mention that because Ivanovic did just that, yet peoples hate of John Terry seems to have blinded them to that,
    he was the guy sitting on top of the goal in full kit wrapped in a Serbian flag waving to the crowd....so it was a fairly low key display from him, not surprised no-one saw him and only noticed JT:rolleyes:

Just keep watching the replays over and over, wont get tired of this:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Thought the ref was brilliant tonight to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Ashley Cole had an absolute blinder of a match, some crucial blocks, and didn't stop running all night. Scored a Peach of a Peno too in the shootout

Drogbas header was like a lazer guided missile, and it was just written in the stars for him to score the winning peno.

Looked like cech got a touch on schweinsteiger's peno onto the post. Well done Chelsea, and if Di Matteo doesn't get the job after that, he must've shagged abramovich's missus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

If I have to listen/read this 'written in the stars' line one more time I'm going to freak. Makes me immediately think of Gary Nevilles annoying nasal accent and his orgasmic 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwws' and in fairness lads nobody should be subjected to that.

I can by now live with Bayern not having won the Champions League but come on have some decency...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

sofireland wrote: »
    Ashley Cole had an absolute blinder of a match, some crucial blocks, and didn't stop running all night. Scored a Peach of a Peno too in the shootout

Drogbas header was like a lazer guided missile, and it was just written in the stars for him to score the winning peno.

Looked like cech got a touch on schweinsteiger's peno onto the post. Well done Chelsea, and if Di Matteo doesn't get the job after that, he must've shagged abramovich's missus

I know they gave it to Drogba but, for me, Ashely Cole was head and shoulders Man of the Match (on the chelsea side at least).

Nigel Martyn mentioned on Twitter that nobody is acknowledging the fact that Cech made 3 crucial penno saves - Robben, Ollic and Schweinsteiger. He defo got a vital touch on Schweinsteigers pen. For all the criticism of the run up he took for the pen, he still placed it perfectly and it was an immense save.

There were some immense performances all night. Ryan Bertrand did brilliant out of position left midfield - what a show of faith by RdM putting him in. A 75% fit Gary Cahill did excellently, Cech made some crucial saves, Drogba led the line, Mata relieved pressure at vital times, to be fair i thought Torres was excellent when he came on, he made 3 or 4 vital tackles in defence and 1 break in particular where he beat 3 players and ate up a vital minute or so on the clock. Uni-brow Boswinga did very well. he has his critics but he put on a solid performance. Sideshow Bob had his usual sticky moments but did well overall and great penno. Mikel and Lampard worked ever so hard they looked out on their feet.

If there was ever one certainty with the penno shoot out it was that Lamps would drill it hard down the middle. Even Nueur knew it but when a ball is a hit at you from 12 yards at that pace good luck getting a hand on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It annoys me more that Roman Abramovic has finally got what he wanted most by firing a crap load of managers and buying players managers didn't want.
    Although it looks like the AVB sacking might have been an inspiring one in the short term.

Enjoy it Chelsea.

Boskowski wrote: »
    If I have to listen/read this 'written in the stars' line one more time I'm going to freak. Makes me immediately think of Gary Nevilles annoying nasal accent and his orgasmic 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwws' and in fairness lads nobody should be subjected to that.

I can by now live with Bayern not having won the Champions League but come on have some decency...

As Chelsea walked out into the Allianz Arena a giant red mosaic was revealed at one end that covered the entire expanse of the massed ranks of Bayern Munich's support.
    The message - with a Champions League trophy as its centrepiece - read: "Unser Stadt. Unser Stadion. Unser Pokal." Our City. Our Stadium. Our Cup.
    Hours later, at a cost of around one billion pounds, Munich was Chelsea and owner Roman Abramovich's city. The Allianz Arena was their stadium and - most significantly of all - the Champions League was their cup at long last.

Bayern had 35 shots to Chelsea's nine, but they were wasteful with only 23% on target compared to Chelsea's 33%.
    Arjen Robben was the game's leading shooter with 15 shots, but he, too, was inaccurate with only six on target.
    Didier Drogba had five shots and two chances, scoring from one of them.
    Four out of the top five passers in the game were from Bayern Munich, with Toni Kroos the leader with 111.
    Bayern passed the ball 790 times compared to 633 for Chelsea.

Petr Cech went the right way on six Bayern penalties and saved three of them.
    Chelsea blocked more shots than in any other game in the Champions League this season.
    Only Frank Lampard, John Obi Mikel and Juan Mata made more passes than goalkeeper Petr Cech.
    Juan Mata covered the most ground on the pitch with 16,123 metres.
    Didier Drogba has now scored nine goals in nine cup finals.

Robben and Philipp Lahm were the most frequent passers behind Kroos, showing how much Bayern played down the right-hand side.
    Half of Bayern's eight crosses from the left were successful, whereas none of 15 reached their target from the right.
    Seven of Robben's shots were from outside the area, showing that Chelsea defended the 18-yard line well.
    Bastian Schweinsteiger covered the most ground of any Bayern player with 15,464 metres.

Just ask yourself - how did Chelsea win?!:D

• Advertisement

What the **** are you on about? Keane was told he wouldn't be allowed on the pitch or collect the trophy, hence his suit. Terry was told he could collect the trophy, hence the jersey, to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb in photos and to serve as a reminder in years to come that he missed out on the biggest game in Chelsea's history.

You seem to have other issues with Terry though.

JT had some bloody nerve pulling on the kit like that. Keep in mind that he did his level best to blow his own teams chances of winning it. Chelsea won it in spite of him.

Was it a tactical error taking Muller off?
    He would have taken a peno, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

well done chelsea..in spite of terry..he may love the club but is a horrible pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

JT had some bloody nerve pulling on the kit like that. Keep in mind that he did his level best to blow his own teams chances of winning it. Chelsea won it in spite of him.

come on man!! Cantonas kung-fu kick ruled him out from Jan to May with United chasing the double. He still went on to be United Captain. Zidane headbutting Matterazi ruled him out of the penno shoot-out, who is to say that didn't cost France.

What Terry did in the semi was stupid, petulant and retarded. In perspective, what he did was give a girly knee in the back. Straightforward red, suspension and cost himself a place in final, should chelsea reach it, which they did. He paid the price for this by missing out on playing in one of the biggest nights of his career.

Point is, Cantona, Zidane, Terry.....all 3 were/are vital to the success of their teams and anybody saying things like "he has some nerve" has obviously never played football at any level. Even in sunday league games in Ireland, if you were a mug and got suspended for a local derby or cup final, if your team wins you celebrate just as much, if not more, than the rest of the lads. It's part of being in a group and putting in all the effort in training and on the pitch. It's also partly relief that the boys won in spite of your actions!!

It's pure begrudgery being witnessed here. Like the next man, i think Terry can be some plum at times off the field, but can't argue with all the years of service he has put in for that club on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Fair play to Chelsea, have to say the likes of Terry, Lampard, Cole, Drogba, Cech, Essien deserve a winners medal for their performances they've put in down the years in the CL.

An immense amount of luck was involved throughout the competition, a lot more luck than what the usual winner receives but if any club deserved that it was Chelsea after everything that happened to them in the past.

Just watched that again - even better second time around - my god the chances Bayern had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

A win is a win but Chelsea were woeful. That's probably the worst performance from a finalist I've seen.

Delighted for Drogba tho, some msn for the big occasion.

come on man!! Cantonas kung-fu kick ruled him out from Jan to May with United chasing the double. He still went on to be United Captain. Zidane headbutting Matterazi ruled him out of the penno shoot-out, who is to say that didn't cost France.

What Terry did in the semi was stupid, petulant and retarded. In perspective, what he did was give a girly knee in the back. Straightforward red, suspension and cost himself a place in final, should chelsea reach it, which they did. He paid the price for this by missing out on playing in one of the biggest nights of his career.

Point is, Cantona, Zidane, Terry.....all 3 were/are vital to the success of their teams and anybody saying things like "he has some nerve" has obviously never played football at any level. Even in sunday league games in Ireland, if you were a mug and got suspended for a local derby or cup final, if your team wins you celebrate just as much, if not more, than the rest of the lads. It's part of being in a group and putting in all the effort in training and on the pitch. It's also partly relief that the boys won in spite of your actions!!

It's pure begrudgery being witnessed here. Like the next man, i think Terry can be some plum at times off the field, but can't argue with all the years of service he has put in for that club on the pitch.

I agree but I was responding to a poster who mentioned something along the lines of Roy Keane not having the emotion to do something similar in 99. WTF?!

Keane and Scholes were suited and booted in 99 and humbly held the trophy after the podium and lap of honour.

Then you have last nite where JT practically demanded to be the center of attention during the celebrations. He is as classless as they come.

I agree but I was responding to a poster who mentioned something along the lines of Roy Keane not having the emotion to do something similar in 99. WTF?!

Keane and Scholes were suited and booted in 99 and humbly held the trophy after the podium and lap of honour.

Then you have last nite where JT practically demanded to be the center of attention during the celebrations. He is as classless as they come.

Did you miss the part where Keane I said Keane was told he wasn't allowed on to to the pitch or to lift the trophy, so being kitted out would've been pointless. And yes, I do think Keane would've been a bit more reserved, that's just his personality.

There no way Lampard would've lifted the trophy all by himself with Terry being present. He would've insisted anyway they lift it together.

Terry is and always will be a Chelsea hero. If the team including management didnt think so, he wouldnt be allowed up there.

I doubt theres a chelsea supporter anywhere who would begrudge him especially as he has had to live with the pain of missing that peno all these years.

The only nosayers are the non chelsea supporters -surprise, surprise!

• Advertisement

Lads, Spurs fans, Pool Fans, if you feel like I was a dick last night I apologise. It was all banter and wasnt meant to wind up or antgonise any of ye.

Delighted we won and I celebrated long into tonigt around Cork. lots of well wishers and TBF, there was no bad words from any fans, except a few that said we were lucky and I can agree with that alright.

:pac:

Did you miss the part where Keane I said Keane was told he wasn't allowed on to to the pitch or to lift the trophy, so being kitted out would've been pointless. And yes, I do think Keane would've been a bit more reserved, that's just his personality.

There no way Lampard would've lifted the trophy all by himself with Terry being present. He would've insisted anyway they lift it together.

And if Terry had any ounce of human decency he would have stood aside and let the captain of the day lift it.

Congratulations to Chelski in any case.

Lads, Spurs fans, Pool Fans, if you feel like I was a dick last night I apologise. It was all banter and wasnt meant to wind up or antgonise any of ye.

Delighted we won and I celebrated long into tonigt around Cork. lots of well wishers and TBF, there was no bad words from any fans, except a few that said we were lucky and I can agree with that alright.

:pac:

Ah man, your team won the European Cup!!!!!! Act how you like!!! PM everybody and say f*ck you!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

The G8 reaction.

g8.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Just ask yourself - how did Chelsea win?!:D

I have a feeling a few of the Chelsea players and perhaps Abramovich himself sold their souls to the devil in return for winning the cup.:)
    I dont think I've ever seen a team ride their luck so much .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

article-2147073-132F21BE000005DC-233_468x360.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I've said it for a while now: Arjen Robben is a fantastic player, but he bottles it on the biggest stage. World cup final twice 1 on 1 with casillas and he ****s it up. went missing in 2010 champs league final, missed a penalty and open goal in the league decider in dortmund, went missing last night...

Congrats chelsea, i still am dumbfounded as to how they did it. Glad for them in a way but i'm more gutted for bayern in front of their own fans. This will haunt forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

spiralism wrote: »
    I've said it for a while now: Arjen Robben is a fantastic player, but he bottles it on the biggest stage. World cup final twice 1 on 1 with casillas and he ****s it up. went missing in 2010 champs league final, missed a penalty and open goal in the league decider in dortmund, went missing last night...

Always said Robben was one of my favourite Chelsea old boys.... Now he's number one!

I don't know how Robben is their no 1 pen taker. He is a brilliant brilliant player on is day but he doesn't have the mental fortitude for pens. V Real taking and scoring the one in normal time but then not taking one of the 5 does not make sense for your top pen taker. Ronaldo, Lampard etc would all take one of the five even if they'd missed in normal time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

spiralism wrote: »
    gutted for bayern in front of their own fans. This will haunt forever.

Ah not forever, just until it happens again.

Advertisement