Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Battle Lines Are Drawn:Bayern Munich VS Chelsea (UEFA Champions League Final )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Me the caveman :pac:

You said it but worded it different

Not at all.

Can Chelsea win? Of course they can. Any team with Mata, Drogba and Torres in it can win any game against anyone ... but it's massively stacked against them, that is all. I don't want to get embroiled into a semantics discussion but my comment was ...
    gosplan wrote:
    I don't see how anyone can rationally predict a Chelsea win here.

It was probably taken up wrong but I was just responding to the couple of posters on the previous page who gave circumstantial reasons why Chelsea might win and reported 'feelings' that Chelsea might sneak it.

I'm not saying they don't have a hope, just that they're massive underdrogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Chelsea win.

Torres to repay every penny.

Spurs fans to be upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

A NUFC supporting friend, despite us being in the middle of exams, has gone out to Munich today.

Lucky so and so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

gosplan wrote: »

football is rarely about the rational; if it was we wouldn't watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

http://www.youtube.com/uefa?feature=inp-lt-ueu

legends game in munich on live now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

As clichéd as it sounds, anything can happen in a cup final. Especially the Champions League final. A one off game with some of those Chelsea players seeing it as their last ever chance and the memory of the final in 08', they'll be absolutely driven.

In a way I'd like Chelsea to do it, but I dislike so many of their players so it's hard to want them to win it.

1-1 normal time, 2-1 Bayern AET.

I don't get this.

Are people in here saying they predict a Chelsea win - or are they just disagreeing with me for the sake of it?

Yes Chelsea can win it. Obviously Chelsea can win it.

All I said was that if you're being rational, you wouldn't say Chelsea are going to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

As clichéd as it sounds, anything can happen in a cup final. Especially the Champions League final. A one off game with some of those Chelsea players seeing it as their last ever chance and the memory of the final

What exactly do you mean by anything can happen in a final, and prove how are they different to any other game? Like it sounds like you're saying that Chelsea have a better chance because it's a final, your going to have to show evidence that favourites perform worse in finals than in any other games to back up your statement. Otherwise this just comes across a speculative noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

lol at trying to apply logic to stupid pre match predictions in a match thread. Just go to a gambling forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

What has Mesut Ozil got to do with this match ?

I think Chelsea will win , hope Bayern do it though .

• Advertisement

Masked Man wrote: »
    lol at trying to apply logic to stupid pre match predictions in a match thread. Just go to a gambling forum.

If it helps people think a little more before posting stuff they really don't have much of a clue about it can only improve the 'stupid match threads'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    If it helps people think a little more before posting stuff they really don't have much of a clue about it can only improve the 'stupid match threads'.

Reading comprehension! I never called the match thread stupid. And it clearly won't, people just post whatever their gut feeling is. It adds to their enjoyment.

Reading comprehension! I never called the match thread stupid. And it clearly won't, people just post whatever their gut feeling is. It adds to their enjoyment.

And not simply going with your gut feeling is lol?? ....rigggghhhhttttttt.

And not simply going with your gut feeling is lol?? ....rigggghhhhttttttt.

haha yeah cause that's what I said.

I never said anything about his prediction, READING COMPREHENSION! Just asked him to prove his throwaway statement that underdogs have a better chance in finals!

I never said anything about his prediction, READING COMPREHENSION! Just asked him to prove his throwaway statement that underdogs have a better chance in finals!

Did I quote your post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Champions League finals are normally cagey tight affairs. But when these teams meet there's generally a lot of goals. How do people see tonight panning out ?

• Advertisement

Aquila wrote: »
    Some of ye are sooo tetchy...

If I took that edge out of my game I wouldn't be half the poster...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea 2-1. Bayerns replacements for Badstuber and Gustavo arent good enough.

Their front 4 is excellent and Kroos and Schweinsteiger will have to be disciplined but with Gustavo out and timyschauk going to CB Mata could find a lot of space between tbe lines.

F**k it, if we dont win it we've proved plenty wrong this year in this competition with some good performances and some luck but you need that to go far.

Spurs fans, ye're probably as nervous as us at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Is this on the radio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Useless stat :

There has been ten finals where one team has had home country advantage. That team won the title 6 times out of ten.

There have been 3 finals where one team has played on their own ground. That team won 2 times out of 3 (Roma lost in 1984 on penos).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

For me that final is perfect, as none of the teams are my favourite. Whoever wins, i am happy with that. Still, imo Bayern did well while Chelsea games did not impress me at all. Both teams have chance to win, but i feel Bayern will be more for it, than Chelsea.
    My bet is 1-1 in first half, then 3-1 in next 45 mins, Chelsea may have one more close to an end.
    Have to admit that being a big fan of Barca could have some impact on who should win in my view, but honestly, as much as i hate how they beaten up Barca, i blame Barca for letting them do that to themselves.
    Expect big fight tonight, big night for Munich, and everyone who is lucky to be there tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I mean Bayern are rightly strong favorites but are by no means unbeatable here. Personally think it's the weakest final since Porto v Monaco. Dortmund tore Munich asunder time after time on the counter last week and whilst Chelsea clearly can't boast quite as ruthless an attacking threat they'll obviously adapt similar tactics which imo gives them a fighting chance tonight. You also wonder how much last weeks humiliation has dented Bayerns confidence.

Well, Dortmund humiliated them, all right, but why not mention Chelsea-Liverpool. They win in the cup, and then loose very important game 4-1.
    As for Dortmund, they were perfect that day, i liked them, but Ribery's goal was great, too. This can happen again, tonight.
    On the other side, Chelsea is out of CL next year if they don't win. May give some extra motivation to them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Ryan Bertrand could be in line for a shock start! If Malouda can't play 90 mins he may well play!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19052012/58/champions-league-bertrand-line-shock-start.html

Expected line ups

46036daa95190a77d76a2cd6ddedd0f9.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I actually hope malouda is injured so bertrand can play on the left, he will do the defensive job but will give us some pace going forward (malouda won't do either effectivley)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I won't be watching but come on Chelsea

wonski wrote: »
    I mean Bayern are rightly strong favorites but are by no means unbeatable here. Personally think it's the weakest final since Porto v Monaco. Dortmund tore Munich asunder time after time on the counter last week and whilst Chelsea clearly can't boast quite as ruthless an attacking threat they'll obviously adapt similar tactics which imo gives them a fighting chance tonight. You also wonder how much last weeks humiliation has dented Bayerns confidence.

Well, Dortmund humiliated them, all right, but why not mention Chelsea-Liverpool. They win in the cup, and then loose very important game 4-1.
    As for Dortmund, they were perfect that day, i liked them, but Ribery's goal was great, too. This can happen again, tonight.
    On the other side, Chelsea is out of CL next year if they don't win. May give some extra motivation to them...

Going by the team Chelsea fielded in the league against Liverpool it was quite clear that this final was their main focus. Don't think that loss affected them psychologically at all. Wheras that was Bayerns fifth straight loss on the bounce against Dortmund and with it the realisation that they're very much the 2nd best team in Germany currently. Impossible to predict whether this will affect them tonight but it can't be seen as ideal preparation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

That team in that pic does not sit right with me.
    Think it was gav that had a team he would like to see line up that I'd much prefer to see line out tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Hopefully Bayern can do it. The Bayern Munich coach was foolish to criticise Drogba during the week. It could come back to haunt him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Not being a fan of either side it'll be nice to watch a final from a netural point of view. I don't know whether to listen to my heart or my head when trying to pick a winner.

On paper, the loss of Terry, Ramires, Meireles and Ivanovic is huge. Ramires especially as he can scythe through teams at will when he wants too.

On the other hand Badstuber, Gustavo, and to a lesser extent Alaba will all be missed by Bayern.

It will for sure be a cagey affair as these finals tend to be. Both teams will look to feel each other out for the first 20 mins. As much as you'd think that Munich's forward line will tear Chelsea apart, a small part of me thinks they can hold them out like in Barelcona.

Its got all the cheesy plot-points of a bad Hollywood underdog movie, overturning Napoli, beating the best team in the world, the redemption of Torres, going into the final with a rag-tag squad.

Im gonna let my heart dictate and go for a 2-1 Chelsea win with it being 1-1 for 80 mins before Torres pops up with the winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Is Alaba not fit either for Bayern? Him and Ribery have been lethal on the left this season imo.

Going to be an interesting game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Is Alaba not fit either for Bayern? Him and Ribery have been lethal on the left this season imo.

Going to be an interesting game!

Pretty sure he is one of the ones suspended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Come on Chelsea! Always go for the English sides in Europe. Think they can do it too although Ramires is a huge loss. Saying that I'd expect Bayern to feel their losses more so than Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Really hope Bayern can do the job fancy Gomez for at least a goal and Robben is surely gauranteed one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Samich wrote: »
    Ryan Bertrand could be in line for a shock start! If Malouda can't play 90 mins he may well play!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19052012/58/champions-league-bertrand-line-shock-start.html

Expected line ups

46036daa95190a77d76a2cd6ddedd0f9.png
    If thats true need HUGE games from Bertrand/Mikel and Jose. Defense wise anyway. No better man than Drogba to be a lone striker in games like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I'd have to fancy Bayern to win this in normal time. Both teams are missing players but Bayern still have that killer front three intact and will cause all kinds of damage tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I really like Bertrand as a player but hope he does not start tonite. Way to risky to be given his first CL game tonite :eek:

As if we needed any more encouragement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

They should bring in the away goal rule for tonite :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Tymo needs to have a huge game in defense. Drogba could have a great night otherwise.

Going to go with 2-0 Bayern in 90.
    Müller and Ribery with the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

:P love how they left in the Neville orgasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bayern to win hopefully. Chelsea don't deserve a spot in next seasons CL and it would be terrible to see them get into it through the back door, would also be horrible to see certain players in the team finish their time there with a CL medal.

Worst thing for the game as a spectacle would be Chelsea to employ a similar gameplan as they did against Barca and for Drogba to pull his usual sh*t. Fortunately I reckon they will fancy their chances tonight, and that could be their downfall. Bayern win and one of Luiz, Mikel or Drogba to see red.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Chelsea will do it, tonight. Not because I care for them, but it is eerily similar to Liverpool in 2005, in how they are beating several teams who are considered better than them.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Bayern to win hopefully. Chelsea don't deserve a spot in next seasons CL and it would be terrible to see them get into it through the back door, would also be horrible certain players in the time finish their time there with a CL medal.

Worst thing for the game as a spectacle would be Chelsea to employ a similar gameplan as they did against Barca and for Drogba to pull his usual sh*t. Fortunately I reckon they will fancy their chances tonight, and that could be their downfall. Bayern win and one of Luiz, Mikel or Drogba to see red.

I can't figure out what you are trying to say in the bit that I've bolded.
    What zeee fooook?!

To be fair, out of all the teams who haven't won the CL in the past 10 years, Chelsea are probably the most deserved of one imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

To be fair, out of all the teams who haven't won the CL in the past 10 years, Chelsea are probably the most deserved of one imo.

Why? Because they spent a load of money they deserve a CL medal? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Why? Because they spent a load of money they deserve a CL medal? :confused:

....becasue they are consistantly in the business end of this competition. Have been hard done by refs and seem to always go out to the eventual champions. I don't think there is any doubt that chelsea are the most consistant team over the last 10 years not to have won it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Panthro wrote: »
    I can't figure out what you are trying to say in the bit that I've bolded.
    What zeee fooook?!

Whoops, lack of sleep while finishing assignments/studying is taking a toll. I probably should have proof read the assignments.:pac:

Advertisement