Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will in bank deposit box?

• 13-05-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

We think mothers will may be in safe deposit bank , we assume that bank will only release to executor , we don't know who executor is as father cannot confirm as it was over thirty years ago will was made- would bank open envelope to confirm if there is will inside and who executor is ? We want to avoid legal expense if possible

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Bring the death cert to the bank and ask them for the will. they may insist that a solicitor requests it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Technically they could only respond to a solicitor who has been engaged by the executor so I think the solution is probably to bring the death cert. to the bank, explain the situation and ask them to make a photcopy of the will and hand it to a member of the family.

As the customer (the OP's mother) is dead, there's no breach of confidence and given that the family need to at least know who is named as executor, I couldn't see them having any problem with this approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

coylemj wrote: »
    Technically they could only respond to a solicitor who has been engaged by the executor so I think the solution is probably to bring the death cert. to the bank, explain the situation and ask them to make a photcopy of the will and hand it to a member of the family.

As the customer (the OP's mother) is dead, there's no breach of confidence and given that the family need to at least know who is named as executor, I couldn't see them having any problem with this approach.

Yes I only need to know there is a will ( pretty confident of that ) and who the executor is I don't want to involve legal at this stage as it is straightforward - you die I die transfers both die kids equal shares etc and would hope if one of the children is executor that we can do probate , it seems that the will may have been taken out around time when buying house and we were quite young ( 1980) is it possible that the solicitor may be the executor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rilly99 wrote: »
    is it possible that the solicitor may be the executor

Yes, if the solicitor who drew up the will decided to include that provision. An aunt of mine died a few years ago and the will stated that the solicitor who drew up the will be used to do the probate but he wasn't nominated as executor, I was.

I was told that that provision had no legal effect so I ignored it, did personal probate and saved a packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

coylemj wrote: »
    rilly99 wrote: »
    is it possible that the solicitor may be the executor

Yes, if the solicitor who drew up the will decided to include that provision. An aunt of mine died a few years ago and the will stated that the solicitor who drew up the will be used to do the probate but he wasn't nominated as executor, I was.

I was told that that provision had no legal effect so I ignored it, did personal probate and saved a packet.
    So it wait and see for me then :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement