Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joey Barton....sane or insane?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

When Keane lashed out he was vilified and reprimanded as well, what he did in Saipan that time was ridiculous.

The point I'm making is in terms of making the most of skills and developing true potential in pure footballing ability, Keane did that, Barton didn't. That's where there is a huge difference and no comparison between the two.

Agree on the footballing ability part.
    But Keane came at other players and referees in the way Barton has done.
    Condemn Barton as a thug.
    Then please accept Keane as a thug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Boards.ie Fantasy Football 2011 / 2012
    Recidivists can change? Time will tell. http://images.sportinglife.com/11/08/330/Barton1_2640838.jpg Barton: Joins QPR on four-year deal JOEY BARTON MAKES QPR SWITCH QPR have completed the sign ...
    8 months, 3 weeks ago in Soccer by Spread 10,582 Replies454,487 Views2 Thanks

Great news!:) QPR forced to wait as Barton admits he needs time to think over move Daily Mail - 45 minutes ago Obviously the dosh situation was/is not to his liking. He should shoot back up the M1, ...
    8 months, 3 weeks ago in Soccer by Spread 10,582 Replies454,487 Views
    [COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]
    Although he had a year left ........ they just said he can go. That's how keen they are to get shot of this lunatic. Of course. I've seen these tossers over the years and very few of them can be straightened out .......[/COLOR]
    8 months, 3 weeks ago in Soccer by Spread 10,582 Replies454,487 Views

[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]"]Hopefully he'll fail the medical - mental condition. The last thing we need is a fruitcake getting sent off. Newcastle would love to unload him at the right price. Warner is a shrewdy and will have co ...[/COLOR][/COLOR]

In case there was any misconception about my not knowing that Barton was a loose cannon. But I still think Tevez should have been carded. Didn't know that he had an accident in a fire .......... so that's why he looks dog rough.
    I await the manufactured indignation :D from the usual suspects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Spread wrote: »
    But I still think Tevez should have been carded. Didn't know that he had an accident in a fire .......... so that's why he looks dog rough.

Maybe you should tell us the players you find attractive then?

Ah! The PC gestapo. Can someone not make a critical comment about how a person looks. A little bit of honest straight talking is frowned upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ah! The PC gestapo. Can someone not make a critical comment about how a person looks. A little bit of honest straight talking is frowned upon.

WTF has it got to do with football?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Honestly he's nothing but a complete and utter scumbag.
    Even leaving out his past exploits.

His team are on the brink of survival, he elbows the opposition which was a crazy thing to do despite provocation (havent seen the tevez "punch" yet).

When he gets sent off, he flying knee kicks someone else, tried to headbutt another player and then tries to have a go at Balottelli (i for one thing Balottelli would kick him up and down the field fairly easily).

I for one think the police should charge him, fcuk the FA with their 10 game ban or whatever.
    He should be locked up and he should not be allowed to play football in any country again.

Now moving onto more football matters for a moment.
    Getting yourself sent off for being a fcuking moron in a critically important game is just madness.
    I've played a lot of soccer and it annoys the fcuk out of me.

If you are chasing a game or indeed are a goal up in a game you need to win to be sure of survival or whatever and getting yourself sent off is among the most stupid, ignorant and selfish things a player can do.

Back to the rant about Barton being a scumbag.

Frankly he looks inbred, he's jekyll and hyde, he's "intellectual" on twitter but the statements he came out with after the game are just moronic.
    If after these events he was remorseful, you could argue a case of the red mist during the game but he sees nothing wrong with trying to Bruce Lee a fellow player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

His team are on the brink of survival, he elbows the opposition which was a crazy thing to do despite provocation (havent seen the tevez "punch" yet).

When he gets sent off, he flying knee kicks someone else, tried to headbutt another player and then tries to have a go at Balottelli (i for one thing Balottelli would kick him up and down the field fairly easily).

I for one think the police should charge him, fcuk the FA with their 10 game ban or whatever.
    He should be locked up and he should not be allowed to play football in any country again.

Getting yourself sent off for being a fcuking moron in a critically important game is just madness.

If you are chasing a game or indeed are a goal up in a game you need to win to be sure of survival or whatever and getting yourself sent off is among the most stupid, ignorant and selfish things a player can do.

Frankly he looks inbred, he's jekyll and hyde, he's "intellectual" on twitter but the statements he came out with after the game are just moronic.
    If after these events he was remorseful, you could argue a case of the red mist during the game but he sees nothing wrong with trying to Bruce Lee a fellow player.

Untwist your knickers there good lad.

5 game ban more than enough

Joey Barton....Thug, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Barton is like a coiled spring when he goes on the field. You get the impression he fights very hard to control himself the whole game and the slightest thing could set him off such as someone pulling on his jersey.

Lest anyone forget he's had a string of violent incidents and assaults to his name.

If he headbutted or elbowed someone on the street, he'd be up in court for it and possibly receive prison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Spot on. I followed him on twitter, I've no idea on how people think he's smart. He comes across an an idiot. He speaks his mind all right, but that means not thinking before he speaks. Not a sign of intelligence. On paxman he was very dull, the stereotypical cliched footballer from media class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Got it? Good!
    That's not a pun, it's an oxymoron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

'd like to see him do RTE punditry with Dunphy if I'm honest!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Spot on. I followed him on twitter, I've no idea on how people think he's smart. He comes across an an idiot. He speaks his mind all right, but that means not thinking before he speaks. Not a sign of intelligence. On paxman he was very dull, the stereotypical cliched footballer from media class

Agreed, the times he does think before he types it fools people into thinking there's more than a wet sponge between his ears. But post City game the real Barton came out, he dug himself into a bigger hole if that was possible.

He should not be allowed play for a very long time and he should be the subject of an assault case.

He does this stuff all the time and gets a 3 game ban, how is that going to change his behaviour.

I guarantee before his football career is over he will seriously injure someone whether it's in a blatantly obvious out to get you type tackle or something off the ball.. then he'll take to twitter with some moronic statement.

Agreed, the times he does think before he types it fools people into thinking there's more than a wet sponge between his ears. But post City game the real Barton came out, he dug himself into a bigger hole if that was possible.

He should not be allowed play for a very long time and he should be the subject of an assault case.

He does this stuff all the time and gets a 3 game ban, how is that going to change his behaviour.

I guarantee before his football career is over he will seriously injure someone whether it's in a blatantly obvious out to get you type tackle or something off the ball.. then he'll take to twitter with some moronic statement.

Do you mean like Roy Keane?

When he got Haaland he said got you this time.

Defensible action in Ireland.

Had Barton done that he'd be an animal.

Do you mean like Roy Keane?

When he got Haaland he said got you this time.

Defensible action in Ireland.

Had Barton done that he'd be an animal.

No Roy was a pratt for doing it. However Roy obviously held malice for the tackle on him by Haaland which resulted in a lay off for Roy.

What did Aguero do to Barton? Absolutely nothing, just take a look at the venom on Bartons face when he tried to bruce lee him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No Roy was a pratt for doing it. However Roy obviously held malice for the tackle on him by Haaland which resulted in a lay off for Roy.

What did Aguero do to Barton? Absolutely nothing, just take a look at the venom on Bartons face when he tried to bruce lee him.

It was Keane who tackled Haaland! Keane injured himself doing it. Haaland just gave Keane stick for trying to do him, while he was down injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

inmyday wrote: »
    10 is way too much. I hope he doesnt get that many games, joke if he does.
    As Rooney (elbow to mcCarthy last season), keane on haaland(was only 3 to begin with, but 5 extra games after his book came out), didnt get as much as barton. Plenty more examples of course.
    And all he did was lose the head, sly elbow, knee in the arse (as terry did against barca a few weeks ago), and nearly a head butt.
    5games is enough.

I wonder are they making an example of him, as it was such a big game, and watched by millions all over the world. I wonder would he get 10 games if he did it against wigan on a saturday afternoon in november that wasnt live on tv???

As bizarrely as that is put, it's actually spot on.
    The global coverage, mirrored around the world definitely puts pressure on an increased ban.

Not saying that it shouldn't be the same punishment should he have done the same thing at Wigan on the aforementioned time, as the poster says, but certainly wouldn't be as big news.

Corholio wrote: »

It was Keane who tackled Haaland! Keane injured himself doing it. Haaland just gave Keane stick for trying to do him, while he was down injured.

Sorry you are correct, but the end result is the same, Keane blamed Haaland and the poking fun at him led to an angry Roy.

I've seen plenty of lads, get kicked and run after someone and "aim for the ball" and hammer someone.

However having someone stew for half the season and then playing them after you "injured" and then mocked them is not going to end well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Ehhh, you realise he gets the standard three match ban anyway and that's without factoring in kneeing a player and attempting to headbutt one after being sent off? Ten isn't enough.

I'm sorry I can't stop laughing at that second paragraph!

Laugh away, just my opinion. Barton is all over the media and I wonder would he be if it happened against wigan.

Ten is way too much. We have a seen violent actions by players on the football pitch. Keane and rooney never got that amount, and they were way worse.

Pepe did get 10, now he really did deserve it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKt4IBxD5oo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

plasmaguy wrote: »

If he headbutted or elbowed someone on the street, he'd be up in court for it and possibly receive prison.

And what would happen to the Keane? He should be in prison for haaland tackle/kick/attempt to injure. Or maybe his elbow to mcateer's head? Stamp on vitor baia? etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Ehhh, you realise he gets the standard three match ban anyway and that's without factoring in kneeing a player and attempting to headbutt one after being sent off? Ten isn't enough.

I'm sorry I can't stop laughing at that second paragraph!

Isnt it 4 because its his 2nd straight red of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

And what would happen to the Keane? He should be in prison for haaland tackle/kick/attempt to injure. Or maybe his elbow to mcateer's head? Stamp on vitor baia? etc...

Ah sure they'd put Carroll on a register after what he did to Terry the other week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Ten is way too much. We have a seen violent actions by players on the football pitch. Keane and rooney never got that amount, and they were way worse.

Straight red for an elbow + kick + headbutt and you think ten games is too much??? Suarez got eight and he didn't do any of those. Ten is him getting off lightly. Just because someone did something worse before, doesn't mean he should be let away with it. Things like this shouldn't be dealt with lightly. He should get a huge ban for it since fining a top player won't mean a thing to him. A ban will. It'll make him think twice in future.

Add in the fact that Barton then admitted to trying to get a City player sent off too and that's another thing he should be banned for. The guy deserves to be punished and ten games is the least he should get.

Remember another philosophical hero ........... Cantona. OOH AHH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Saurez done worse, he's a racist , absolutely no place for it in football.

Barton is Barton a clown a very entertaining one at that. He deserves the ban but man footballs gone soft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

its a pussy's game now alright, with players getting a few million a month falling over with a nudge to the chest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6ZhHIGMbg&feature=related

players who dive and do oscar stuff should get an automatic 3 game ban.

should be easy to implement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

its a pussy's game now alright, with players getting a few million a month falling over with a nudge to the chest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6ZhHIGMbg&feature=related

players who dive and do oscar stuff should get an automatic 3 game ban.

should be easy to implement.

I'd agree but as long as that idiot blatter is in charge theres no hope of a proper crackdown on diving.

The likes of platini won't tackle it as his head is in Europes elite teams hole from licking it. He'd have to upset his buddies in Spain and continental Europe where it's all been influenced from.

I often watch premiership years on sky or some of the classic matches on Espn and I'm telling you every year it's getting worse. The physicality of the game is nearly non existend , nearly a non contact sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Laugh away, just my opinion. Barton is all over the media and I wonder would he be if it happened against wigan.

Pepe did get 10, now he really did deserve it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKt4IBxD5oo

Can you remember a reaction to a red card that was worse than Barton's in English football?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Can you remember a reaction to a red card that was worse than Barton's in English football?

In Brazil, a player once punched the referee and knocked him out.
    Joey would've been proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Di Canio is the obvious one in the Premier League, I suppose.

I've been going to games for 25 years and don't remember seeing a reaction like Barton's on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Di Canio is the obvious one in the Premier League, I suppose.

I've been going to games for 25 years and don't remember seeing a reaction like Barton's on Sunday.
    Erm....

Cantona_18.jpg

Plenty.

Keane's challenge on Haaland provoked a lot of opinion.

Posters on here are blaming Haaland for that!

Rooney being sent off against Portugal by stamping on Ronaldo at the World Cup.

And the English media blamed Ronaldo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

IPAM wrote: »
    Isnt it 4 because its his 2nd straight red of the season?

You're dead right! He'll miss a fair portion of next season, QPR need to invest in a new midfielder!

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Erm....

Cantona_18.jpg

In fairness that fan was a scumbag, and a petty criminal, and one of those loudmouth pr*cks who are the scourge of football everywhere.

In fairness that fan was a scumbag, and a petty criminal, and one of those loudmouth pr*cks who are the scourge of football everywhere.
    That's not the point though. Did Cantona know all of this (apart from the loud mouth bit) when he launched his attack on him? He could hardly use the fact that the guy was a petty criminal to justify his actions.

That's not the point though.

Possibly not, but every footballer everywhere was probably thinking "well done Eric" when he done that. Cantona is and was a legend. Ever see the interview on French TV chat show where he fcked two journos out of it.

Barton on the other hand is just an uncultured chav who brings little to the game except negativity.

Big difference between the two. Cantona was a genius, no-one can claim that about Barton.

Well you can sort of claim Barton is a genius, how many chav thugs get paid thousands a week to pretend to be a pro footballer?

Possibly not, but every footballer everywhere was probably thinking "well done Eric" when he done that. Cantona is and was a legend. Ever see the interview on French TV chat show where he fcked two journos out of it.

Barton on the other hand is just an uncultured chav who brings little to the game except negativity.

Big difference between the two. Cantona was a genius, no-one can claim that about Barton.

So the key difference is perhaps what club the player plays for.

Cantona, Keane and Rooney - all their actions can de defended by blaming someone else.

Barton was attacked first by Tevez and still he is fully at fault.

This is something I have seen from Utd fans before.

So if Barton was a better player and done a bit of acting in a couple of low-budget films, he'd be alright in your book?

I was fuming at Barton when he got himself sent off, 'cause I thought he'd cost us the match. Then, after seeing the replays of the initial incident with Tevez, I sort of understood why he was so angry. I've seen worse than that go unpunished plenty of times and I'm pretty certain if it was any player other than Barton, this incident would've been no different.

I don't disagree that he deserves a punishment and a fairly lengthy ban, but there's a pile of people on here that'd want to get off their high horses.

• Advertisement

So if Barton was a better player and done a bit of acting in a couple of low-budget films, he'd be alright in your book?

I was fuming at Barton when he got himself sent off, 'cause I thought he'd cost us the match. Then, after seeing the replays of the initial incident with Tevez, I sort of understood why he was so angry. I've seen worse than that go unpunished plenty of times and I'm pretty certain if it was any player other than Barton, this incident would've been no different.

I don't disagree that he deserves a punishment and a fairly lengthy ban, but there's a pile of people on here that'd want to get off their high horses.

Frankly I don't care what the FA or whoever has the powers, do with Barton.

If Cantona was lost to the EPL, and he was considering moving to Italy, Moretti, the Inter owner was a big fan, he would have been a big loss to the EPL.

I don't think anyone could say the same about Barton, he brings nothing positive to the game, only negatives.

At least Cantona had a positive side to him including during his community service.

Frankly I don't care what the FA or whoever has the powers, do with Barton.

If Cantona was lost to the EPL, and he was considering moving to Italy, Moretti, the Inter owner was a big fan, he would have been a big loss to the EPL.

I don't think anyone could say the same about Barton, he brings nothing positive to the game, only negatives.

At least Cantona had a positive side to him including during his community service.

Cantona was in England because he had been cast out of France.

He was an outcast in his home nation.

Cantona was in England because he had been cast out of France.

He was an outcast in his home nation.

Ah look, if I was to recommend one book about Cantona, it would be this one

http://www.ericcantona.com/2009/09/09/cantona-the-rebel-who-would-be-king/

Just finished reading it myself. Great read and essential if you want to understand Cantona.

He was cast out in France because he threw a ball at a referee. He never got on with the FFF and they gave him twice the suspension he was expecting to teach him a lesson. He went up to each of them at the meeting and called them idiots to each of their faces, which they were. He then announced he was retiring.

Platini and Houlier knew he was crucial to the French national side, which he was, so they got him set up in England, Howard Wilkinson was friendly with Houlier.

Cantona was a rebel in France, but always on the side of the small guy against the big guy. He played with Tapie's Marsaille and realised Tapie was a dodgy character even though everyone else adored Tapie in France, before his fall from grace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ah look, if I was to recommend one book about Cantona, it would be this one

http://www.ericcantona.com/2009/09/09/cantona-the-rebel-who-would-be-king/

Just finished reading it myself. Great read and essential if you want to understand Cantona.

He was cast out in France because he threw a ball at a referee. He never got on with the FFF and they gave him twice the suspension he was expecting to teach him a lesson. He went up to each of them at the meeting and called them idiots to each of their faces, which they were. He then announced he was retiring.

Platini and Houlier knew he was crucial to the French national side, which he was, so they got him set up in England, Howard Wilkinson was friendly with Houlier.

Cantona was a rebel in France, but always on the side of the small guy against the big guy. He played with Tapie's Marsaille and realised Tapie was a dodgy character even though everyone else adored Tapie in France, before his fall from grace.

He's hardly a philosopher who needs to be understood, despite his best attempts. Nor is he the hero for the little people that you paint him as.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He's hardly a philosopher who needs to be understood, despite his best attempts. Nor is he the hero for the little people that you paint him as.

You didn't even read the book and suddenly you're an expert on Cantona?

For the record, Cantona gave very few interviews to the media in England while playing.

So most people know nothing about him, his history or motives or the fact he had principles and was willing to stand up for them.

His wages at Man Utd for first few years weren't great and he lived in a semi detached house in a working class area for much of his Leeds and Man Utd career.

A flash footballer he certainly wasn't

If I didn't know half of the posters' affiliation .......... I would have thought that ye are jealous shower just because Barton is/was not on your team!

Love> Jealousy> Hate> Obsessive shooting at Barton after first putting black hat to his head.

This is the route that such behaviour takes. At least that is what my psychoanalyst told me on the couch yesterday. :D

C'mon lads down to the pub you RRRRRRs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Jasus its all happening today , reading on twitter there is to be an announcement from QPR bout Joey B very soon , everyone trying to bury the news under the England squad announcement

Simon Peach ‏ @SimonPeach
    I can reveal that #QPR will be making a statement on captain @Joey7Barton very soon... #keepempeeled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I hope they sack him. That'll put a nice ironic touch on all his comments about "we" staying up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I hope they sack him. That'll put a nice ironic touch on all his comments about "we" staying up.

Just investigating him , deserves the boot !

And here is the victim

Wednesday May 16 2012

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez appears to have no intention of apologising to Sir Alex Ferguson after holding a banner mocking the Manchester United manager.

Tevez displayed a sign bearing the words 'RIP Fergie' during the open-top bus parade through Manchester to celebrate City's Barclays Premier League title win on Monday.

Back in his native Argentina, Tevez told www.ole.com.ar: "It seems like Ferguson is the president of England. Every time he speaks badly about a player or says terrible things about me, nobody says that he has to apologise. [But] when someone comes out with a joke or banter, you have to say sorry - but I don't say sorry."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

And here is the victim

Wednesday May 16 2012

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez appears to have no intention of apologising to Sir Alex Ferguson after holding a banner mocking the Manchester United manager.

Tevez displayed a sign bearing the words 'RIP Fergie' during the open-top bus parade through Manchester to celebrate City's Barclays Premier League title win on Monday.

Back in his native Argentina, Tevez told www.ole.com.ar: "It seems like Ferguson is the president of England. Every time he speaks badly about a player or says terrible things about me, nobody says that he has to apologise. [But] when someone comes out with a joke or banter, you have to say sorry - but I don't say sorry."

What has that got to do with Barton's red card?....are you saying Tevez deserved what happened?

He makes a good point though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement