Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joey Barton....sane or insane?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Can you remember a reaction to a red card that was worse than Barton's in English football?

Plenty.

Keane's challenge on Haaland provoked a lot of opinion.

Posters on here are blaming Haaland for that!

Rooney being sent off against Portugal by stamping on Ronaldo at the World Cup.

And the English media blamed Ronaldo!
    He stamped on carvalho, ronaldo was condemned for winking at carvalho afterwards.

I also wish people would stop lumping fans together, just because one united fan is talking through his hole doesn't mean they all do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Spread wrote: »
    And here is the victim

Wednesday May 16 2012

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez appears to have no intention of apologising to Sir Alex Ferguson after holding a banner mocking the Manchester United manager.

Tevez displayed a sign bearing the words 'RIP Fergie' during the open-top bus parade through Manchester to celebrate City's Barclays Premier League title win on Monday.

Back in his native Argentina, Tevez told www.ole.com.ar: "It seems like Ferguson is the president of England. Every time he speaks badly about a player or says terrible things about me, nobody says that he has to apologise. [But] when someone comes out with a joke or banter, you have to say sorry - but I don't say sorry."

The victim is actually Aguero, the above is irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Not quite sure it's irrelevant. It shows that the guy has a chip on the shoulder and has problems with authority. A few weeks away at an FCA Summer Camp would bring him down to earth. Not too far to go for a fella of his physical stature :D He will not be there next season. You can only have one boss in a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Spread wrote: »
    Not quite sure it's irrelevant. It shows that the guy has a chip on the shoulder and has problems with authority. A few weeks away at an FCA Summer Camp would bring him down to earth. Not too far to go for a fella of his physical stature :D He will not be there next season. You can only have one boss in a team.

And the same for Balotelli.
    No way he'll be a City player as well.
    Plus Tevez threw in an inane comment about the Falklands.
    Saying that he it was great that three Argentines were on the team winning the English league to put one in the face of los ingles.
    He must have a brain the size of a pea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He must have a brain the size of a pea...

... and the bank balance the size of an elephant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I still haven't seen clearly what he was sent off for, looked liked nothing. And if he was guilty then surely Tevez should have seen red also?

What he did afterwards was stupid, but irrelevant as he was already off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

LOL...... I've seen threads descend into circuses in the past and I think we're fast reaching that point here now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

In fairness, what he (Barton) did afterwards was relevant. If that's the case he could've punched the head off the referee or Mancini or a young City fan on the way off the pitch:)

He acted out, got a red, acted out again after getting the red, admitted on twitter that he'd carried on in the above manner to get a City player off with him........... I just don't see what's so difficult for some to see here??

Ye can dislike Tevez and Balo as much as ye like but that still doesn't excuse Bartons carry on during that match!!

He's an ungrateful pup. If he doesn't like collecting his wages for playing football ........... he can always try his hand at being a gaucho. What is it with these diminutive Argentinians? Is a shoulder chip genetic? Or is being in the victim mode inherited? I'm sure something went wrong at the potty training stage.
    Any psychiatrist on boards? .......... before the tread gets locked.

Joey Barton: QPR midfielder will not contest long ban

Queens Park Rangers midfielder Joey Barton will not appeal against his 12-match ban for violent conduct.
    QPR have also confirmed they have begun a "full internal investigation", expected to last two weeks, into the 29-year-old's behaviour.
    He was sent off for fouling Manchester City's Carlos Tevez and found guilty on two charges of violent conduct, against Sergio Aguero and Vincent Kompany.
    It is the fourth longest ban the Football Association has ever awarded.
    The sending-off occurred on the last day of the season in the match which saw City clinch the title with two injury time goals against 10-man Rangers.
    A club statement said: "The QPR midfielder will not appeal against the independent regulatory commission's decision made on Wednesday and he and his team are now working in full cooperation with the club to assist in the internal investigation."
    The FA also published the full report by the commission on Friday.
    Joey Barton factfile
    Born: 2 September 1982
    Made his Man City debut against Bolton Wanderers on 5 April 2003
    Joined Newcastle on 14 June 2007 for a fee of £5.8m
    On 26 August 2011 Barton moved to Queens Park Rangers, signing a four-year deal following a free transfer
    The report says Barton's ban was divided into a four-match ban for the dismissal for elbowing Tevez, a five-match punishment for kicking out at Aguero, and a three-match punishment for attempting to headbutt Kompany.
    It adds Tevez appeared to strike out at Barton initially, and referee Mike Dean, via video link, told the regulatory commission that it was a red-card offence which had gone unnoticed.
    "The commission accept that Mr Barton was aggrieved by the action of Mr Tevez. This does not however excuse the subsequent action by Mr Barton in relation to Messrs Kompany or Aguero," the report says.

One rule for Tevez and another rule for Barton. So, Tevez should have been sent off .......... Barton would not have reacted and QPR would have gone on to win the game thereby giving the title to United. Or if Clint Hill's goal was called ......... QPR would not have finished up fighting for their lives on the final day. Too many bad decisions by refs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Surely Tevez can be done as the referee didnt see it. If not, the FA should be embarrassed really. If people are being done by intent these days, then Tevez should have a case to answer at least.

Referees are lambs to the slaughter at the highest levels of the game. They are paid well but they do receive unreal flak for mistakes, mistakes that will always happen to a degree but would be significantly reduced if FIFA introduced rules & technology that has been tried and tested in other sports that make it easier for the officials to make the best decision possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Following a full internal investigation, Queens Park Rangers Football Club can confirm Joey Barton has been fined six weeks' wages and will no longer be Club Captain.
    The 29 year-old midfielder will also be absent from the Club's pre-season tour of Asia in July.
    The Club has also reached agreement with Barton that if he seriously breaches the Club's disciplinary procedures again, the Club reserves the right to terminate his contract.
    CEO Philip Beard said: "It was important that we took our time to make sure we came to the correct decision, which I believe we have achieved.

"Joey's behaviour, which led to his red card at Manchester City, and his subsequent actions were completely unacceptable and we have made our feelings on this matter known to him.
    "I am really pleased with the way in which the Club and Joey have worked towards reaching a sensible conclusion and we fully believe he will respond to these sanctions in the correct manner."
    Barton said: "My behaviour was wrong and I accept the punishment that has been imposed upon me as a result.
    "I apologise to the Manager, my team-mates and of course the QPR fans for my actions. I also apologise to the Manchester City players, staff and supporters."
    *The Club and Joey Barton will be making no further comment.
    http://www.qpr.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~2818728,00.html

Sounds about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Who do you reckon will be captain now? Taarabt again?
    Not much point giving it to Hill, Derry or Nelson when they'll likely only be around for 1 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'd love to see Hill get it tbh. An absolutely fantastic professional who gives his all for the team. Although, as you say, it's not really a long-term solution.

Alejandro Faurlin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

A captain's role is not one for the long term though is it ? He has his impact on an immeidate basis there's not much future planning involved. I see no harm in giving it to a player even if they are only going to be around for a season, as long as they are a regular starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

"The Club and Joey Barton will be making no further comment."

lol. i give it a week tops!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Alejandro Faurlin?

Was thinking that but then... he doesn't seem the most vocal. And I'm not certain how great his grasp of English is either. Or does that even matter?
    Either way, can't wait to see him playing again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Rob Green or Anton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Should give it to Faurlin.

Can't wait to see him back, as Squelchy said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

... and the bank balance the size of an elephant

Elephants have bank accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Elephants have bank accounts?

So question for ya: what's the fundamental difference between the actions of Joey and the actions of Fellani other than being shown a card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Fellani was a thug however he didn't try to take Shawcross with him and he didn't refuse to leave the pitch continue his violent behaviour on his eventual way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Doodee wrote: »
    So question for ya: what's the fundamental difference between the actions of Joey and the actions of Fellani other than being shown a card?

Barton continued his violence after he'd already been sanctioned - still I think 12 games was too much for him and 3 too little for Felliani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Fellani was a thug however he didn't try to take Shawcross with him and he didn't refuse to leave the pitch continue his violent behaviour on his eventual way off.

He wasn't shown a card so leaving the pitch isn't quite the same but he did continue violent conduct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Doodee wrote: »
    He wasn't shown a card so leaving the pitch isn't quite the same but he did continue violent conduct.

Ha! Fair point.

A fair bit of Barton's was the cumulative effect of the red cards he'd already had that season so saying 12 games vs 3 isn't quite a valid comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I suppose instead of starting a new topic this has a very apt heading. (For a header.)

His latest escapade, stamping on the Lincoln player's foot, ducking under his arm then going down like Lee Harvey Oswald had a crack at him.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/watch-joey-bartons-needless-stamp-pathetic-dive-almost-defies-belief-2/113636

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Here's his reaction on Twitter. He's no humility at all.

ccb81249f47f31f0729ccb224b62ee86.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

He has at the very least a personality disorder. Nasty character. Never keeps his nose clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pure Cheating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The bloke could start a row in an empty phone box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Lincoln players one was as bad. Barton pushes his face. He comes at barton. Flanagan pushes him away in the chest and he goes rolling around holding his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The Lincoln players one was as bad. Barton pushes his face. He comes at barton. Flanagan pushes him away in the chest and he goes rolling around holding his face.

He was pretty sad, holding his face but he was pushed, not in the face but at least there was intentional contact, Barton treads on a players toe then deliberately runs into the back of his outstretched arm. So neither very edifying to watch, but the premier league footballers was worse. Here's another still of Barton magic from yesterday.

https://twitter.com/MattTurner4L/status/832989046813110273?s=09

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Barton did gouge the Lincoln player's face, they went into the big guy looking for contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The guy is an absolute prat, and actually makes Lee Bowyer look like an angel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Ah Lee ,, I remember the Newcastle game where himself and dyer starting trading punches, and then we had Taylor's oscar winning handball act , fantastic game :)

In fairness to Lee Bowyer, he could needle a bit, but his rap sheet wasn't next or near Barton's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

https://mobile.twitter.com/cole_rawcliffe/status/833002441541033985/video/1

Barton got an Elbow in the face first half off the same guy. Obviously he should have been the bigger man and not reacted. That's the first time he has stepped out of line while at Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Barton got an Elbow in the face first half off the same guy. Obviously he should have been the bigger man and not reacted. That's the first time he has stepped out of line while at Burnley.

YEA He's a tool but **** me that's some hit he took off the big guy. He clearly wanted to get him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

No huge issue if the belt he got off the Lincoln lad happened first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

He's only been back a few games. He was essentially sacked by Rangers a few months ago after a training ground bust up and isn't he still facing a charge in relation to gambling?

It's not like this is an isolated incident in an otherwise clear recent record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

LiamoSail wrote: »
    He's only been back a few games. He was essentially sacked by Rangers a few months ago after a training ground bust up and isn't he still facing a charge in relation to gambling?

It's not like this is an isolated incident in an otherwise clear recent record

He played every game last season for them and was player of the year and there were no issues. As I said he was a clown for reacting but there was some provocation going on throughout the game so its not like what happened happened for no reason.

Advertisement