Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CATS

Options
  • 13-05-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

stupid cats digging up my flower beds all over the garden .anyone no the best way to get rid of the fecker please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

corkcity wrote: »
    stupid cats digging up my flower beds all over the garden .anyone no the best way to get rid of the fecker please

Dog

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭corkcity

gun???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

kneemos wrote: »

Dog
    Only if you find a way to keep him away from your patch. Our dog loves freshly tilled soil, and we've had to quarantine him to his own part of the garden. The cats come by and sit on the wall but they don't come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭real stig

Some light netting?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Best way to keep strange cats out of your garden is ..... tadah... to keep a cat yourself. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most cats don't like the smell of citrus. I've often put down pieces of orange/lemon/lime skin in parts of the garden where I need to keep the cat away for a while. Cats get used to visiting their usual haunts so sometimes if you can break the cat's habit of visiting the same place regularly, they'll usually find another spot - hopefully not in your garden.

Try the citrus thing. It works for me but you'll need to top up the citrus fragrance daily.

It'll also help you with your 5 a day and vitamin C intake ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

gun???

:mad::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

cats drive me mad too, climbing walls that i freshly paint, kill there owner for letting them roam might be the answer, till that becomes legal,,this might help, http://www.adverts.ie/1644989

ymurtagh wrote: »
    cats drive me mad too, climbing walls that i freshly paint, kill there owner for letting them roam might be the answer, till that becomes legal,,this might help, http://www.adverts.ie/1644989

Cats roam by nature and cats were on this planet long before you were.

whats your point paddy, its bad owners i dont like and thought i made that clear, i have 5 horses, 2 dogs and a cat, but i look after them, they dont annoy my neighbours, or trasspass on their land or gardens, they dont use other peoples childrens sand pits or mulched areas as cat litters, dont walk across neighbours, roofs, window sills, don't damage conservatorys, so this http://www.adverts.ie/1644989 is a product that stops that, also stops the likely hood of ROAMING foxs and cats that are carrying weil's disease(RECENT DISEASE 100years) spreading the disease on compost heaps, grass piles, ponds, other places that humans can come in contact with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis, more common in ireland than people think, ask doctors how long you will last without hospital treatment

• Advertisement

So a cat is the only animal or living thing that can "possibly" pass a disease and a cat is such a dangerous animal to a human too??

And if a well loved and cared for cat dares to go outside of the garden boundaries (heaven forbid),then the cats owner is a bad person and cat owner??

Eh...NO

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

ymurtagh wrote: »
    whats your point paddy, its bad owners i dont like and thought i made that clear, i have 5 horses, 2 dogs and a cat, but i look after them, they dont annoy my neighbours, or trasspass on their land or gardens, they dont use other peoples childrens sand pits or mulched areas as cat litters, dont walk across neighbours, roofs, window sills, don't damage conservatorys, so this http://www.adverts.ie/1644989 is a product that stops that, also stops the likely hood of ROAMING foxs and cats that are carrying weil's disease(RECENT DISEASE 100years) spreading the disease on compost heaps, grass piles, ponds, other places that humans can come in contact with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis, more common in ireland than people think, ask doctors how long you will last without hospital treatment

Thats interesting, NOT A MENTION of cats in your link to Weils disease.

It is most widely associated with rats and mice actually.

Presumably you use that http://www.adverts.ie/1644989 to keep your animals within your boundarys- rather than keep other animals out???

I can understand using it to keep animals out, in that it uses a frequency that we dont have to hear- so it doesnt bother us in the slightest-
    but it is so upsetting and is used to 'banish cats/ dogs/ foxes' so that they wont want to be anywhere near it.

So they dont go near it and stay away.

Which is grand if they can stay away from it, I would think.

It is designed to keep them out, so I wonder, it cant be very pleasant for any animal to be kept in by it, given that it is designed to be so upsetting that they wont want to be near it??? Yet they cant get away from it??? And we cant hear it so dont know what its like???

Hmmm, makes me wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

paddy147 wrote: »
    Cats roam by nature and cats were on this planet long before you were.
    Would you take the same line if someone wanted to keep rabbits out of their vegetables or foxes out of their henhouse? Cats are pets, and people should be responsible for the actions of their pet cat, just like they are for their pet dogs, horses, sheep, pot-bellied pigs, snakes or ferrets. Someone who doesn't want cats in their garden is perfectly within their rights to seek to exclude them, and people who own cats should be aware that, even if they're not knocking on the door complaining, their pet may be causing nuisance to their neighbours and should take steps to minimise this.

OP, I can't suggest much more than seeing if you can find whose cat it is and returning the poo to them every time it happens. My grandmother tried the citrus trick (poor woman had a terrible fear of cats) and all it does is attract slugs. The bottles of water are no use either.

I feel your pain anyway, I was woken up at 6 this morning because my dogs were trying to eat their way out of the house to get at a neighbour's cat which likes to sit on the back wall. The only thing I can think of to do is to attach fencing panels to the top of my back wall so the cat can't taunt the dogs. Unfortunately this will cut off just about all natural light from reaching my garden. Happy days.

Im sure if animals could talk,they wouldnt have very nice things to say about us humans and society and what we (as a human race) have done to them and how some of us human beings treat them.

Saying that "killing" the owner of a cat,because the cat dares to leave the garden boundary to enter another persons garden,and also saying that the cats owner is a bad owner/bad person,if a cat does leave its garden boundary is an absolutely stupid and pointless comment,with no substance or foundations to it at all.

So hense my reply and post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

kylith wrote: »
    Someone who doesn't want cats in their garden is perfectly within their rights to seek to exclude them, and people who own cats should be aware that, even if they're not knocking on the door complaining, their pet may be causing nuisance to their neighbours and should take steps to minimise this.

OP, I can't suggest much more than seeing if you can find whose cat it is and returning the poo to them every time it happens.

Surely, if you have a problem why would you not speak to the neighbour concerned. At least you would know where you stand, depending on what response you receive.

Or maybe not after reading further on in your post. Oh! happy days.

thanks for the replys everyone

i have spent alot of time and alot of money making the garden perfect
    this cat always comes in at night time and digs of everything including expensive beding plants and flowers.then the cat ****s all over the soil .i know its a pet cat because its got a red collar on .big estate so doubt ill track down the owner.if he does it again he will meet my ak-47 air riffle or scalding hot water .sounds cruel but something has to be done very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

a plague of mice on you then

planetX wrote: »
    a plague of mice on you then

thanks

i only have 50 mice left in my freezer so could do with some extra

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

coleus canina??

grown in pots and moved around the garden as required.

make that 46 mice left:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

if he does it again he will meet my ak-47 air riffle or scalding hot water .sounds cruel but something has to be done very soon.

This cat has obviously gotten the better of you mentally and that must be hard for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

This cat has obviously gotten the better of you mentally and that must be hard for you.

Think OP had problem before cat arrived.

i assure u it has gotten to me ,all the sleepless nights ,he even taunts me by sitting on the back wall during the day cheeky ratbag.my day will come and so will his

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

i assure u it has gotten to me ,all the sleepless nights ,he even taunts me by sitting on the back wall during the day cheeky ratbag.my day will come and so will his

You do realise that cats do not have the mental faculties to taunt people? The cat is just doing what comes naturally to it. Why don't you put your energy into preventing him from accessing your flower beds?

As another poster has said above - get yourself a Tom cat and he will defend the garden with his life. Cats make great pets too and more-or-less look after themselves.

Is he "Topcat" by any chance??:D

Yep,your day will come allright....with a knock on the door from the CSPCA and then prossecution in court for cruelty to animals.

http://cspca.ie/

dont get me wrong i love animals .i keep alot of reptiles and fish but dont leave them ****ing in peoples gardens .time for action here is the plan .im going out now to buy large mice/rat traps and bury them slightly below the soil .when he digs in there hopefully a good few catch him

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Do that and you might get yourself into serious trouble.

So you will purposely set out to mame/kill an animal,because the cat is getting the better of you (or so you claim in your narrow little mind)?

Would you do the same to a neighbour or a child,if they pi55ed you off,by entering your garden and damaging it with a football or while playing hide and seek???

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Heres the thing I have found with my own cat and others who come into gardens...

Other cats dont come into the garden since my cat came along. Once an area of the garden is planted properly, by that I mean no big gaps left between the plants of exposed earth/ bark or whatever- she never goes near it again..

Good ground cover of plants is what you need I think.

It would be a better idea to net off the area until the newly planted plants are established.

I started doing my boyfriends garden last year, using bark mulch, and the local cat used to go in certain areas there too but since the plants have grown it hasnt gone back to those places since...

At the end of the day cats prefer bare soft soil or bark- thats what you need to avoid and your beds will look far nicer for it too.

• Advertisement

just to clarify, how this works, http://www.adverts.ie/1644989, It contains a motion sensor which detects movement in the protected area of of your garden. When activated it triggers a 10 second burst, inaudible to humans, which startles the animal pest and causes it to move away from the sound. So it doesnt annoy animal that come into your garden, sorry for late reply havin't been on here in a few days

Advertisement