Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CATS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Have had enough of cats on my back wall tormenting the dogs, so I've decided to put planters on the back wall so they can't sit there and the dogs can't see them. It's about 15' up, so something with as close to zero maintenance as possible, spikey and evergreen would be great. Any ideas? Is there dwarf gorse?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Planters are going to dry out very fast even if the weather seems dampish, and 15 feet up will be difficult to water though I suppose you could put up a drip watering line.

I suspect the cats would be more inclined to say ah! beds! thank you that's very comfy!

Any chance you could put up something along the top of the walls - need only be a few inches high, but that would not be comfortable for them to lie on, not glass or sharp, just awkward, like a ridge of something down the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

looksee wrote: »
    Planters are going to dry out very fast even if the weather seems dampish, and 15 feet up will be difficult to water though I suppose you could put up a drip watering line.
    Good point. How do cacti do in Irish weather?
    I suspect the cats would be more inclined to say ah! beds! thank you that's very comfy!
    That's why I was hoping for something spiky, to both screen them from sight and discourage them from getting comfy.
    Any chance you could put up something along the top of the walls - need only be a few inches high, but that would not be comfortable for them to lie on, not glass or sharp, just awkward, like a ridge of something down the centre.
    I've thought of putting up a screen, but am worried about drilling into a solid concrete wall while on a ladder. The people behind me have roofed over their garden meaning that my garden wall is the back wall of their house, so I was hoping to just put the planters on their roof. More thought is needed, methinks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

kylith wrote: »

That's why I was hoping for something spiky, to both screen them from sight and discourage them from getting comfy.

I've thought of putting up a screen, but am worried about drilling into a solid concrete wall while on a ladder. The people behind me have roofed over their garden meaning that my garden wall is the back wall of their house, so I was hoping to just put the planters on their roof. More thought is needed, methinks.

As far as Im aware,your neighbours "cannot" use a garden boundary wall for their own roof.That breaks planning laws and regulations

There could very well be legal issues there about using the garden boundary wall to place a roof on it.

For drilling into a wall,an SDS drill and a good masonary drill bit and some light pressure is all thats needed to drill safely into a wall,even on a ladder.Let the drill and drill bit do the work.Use 7mm "brown" rawl plugs and stainless steel screws for securing the item to the wall.

Use a step ladder for getting up to the wall,or a normal single ladder

Get a 2nd person to "foot" the single ladder too,if you are worried about stability.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

kylith wrote: »

You would need to drill to fix planters, you cannot just put them up and hope they will stay there.

Get a good water pistol. Any time you hear the dogs going crazy, give the cats a blast of water. Of course if your neighbours are having a barbie next door this could create aggravation :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Get one of these:

http://www.deteracat.co.uk/scarecrow_water_jet_pack.htm

You will get the pleasure of seeing a wet cat & you won't end up in Court. You also won't be harming the wildlife, plants etc. You can even have fun by letting kids into the garden without warning them :D

Also you can put it next to the front door at election time !

Advertisement