Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating in Rental Property

Options
  • 13-05-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Our heating is included in our rent and is centrally controlled. Over the winter it came on at a certain time every morning and evening which was fine, but now it appears that it has been stopped for the summer. Some days recently it has been really cold. Furthermore I can't keep the windows closed all the time as there is damp around all the windows (possibly due to the lack of heating).
    While it's handy not to have to pay for heating and it has been adequate, I was under the impression that tenants should have access to heating if they need it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I am presuming that you live in a house that is converted into houses, if thats the case then unfortunatly that is the way most greedy little LL's work it

the central heating is the same as you would get in a house with the control panel set to certain times and most landlords have the heating on from oct-apr then its off from either april or may until the end of september

However there is a law stating the following

Heating, cooking and food storage.
    7. (1) The house shall contain—

( a ) an appliance or appliances capable of providing adequate space heating and facilities for the installation of cooking equipment with provision, where necessary, for the safe and effective removal of fumes and other products of combustion to the external air, and
    ( b ) facilities for the hygienic storage of food.
    (2) In sub-article (1) "appliance" includes an open fireplace.

this is taken from :

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1993/en/si/0147.html#zzsi147y1993a8

so from this I presume that you have to have access to heat your place at your own expense if required and from what I can see through google this law was brought in to specifically target flats/bedsits in the old Georgian houses that are dotted around this country especially in dublin and cork

give the threshold a quick ring to clarify this or email them, then once it is confirmed by the "legal" body here, you can go to the landlord with the proper info and request that you have access to heat all year round and if it is not provided then I presume you can report the landlord to the prtb

failing all that give notice and move to somewhere where the landlord actually gives a sh*t about their tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Have you raised the issue with your LL ?

We also have shared heating, included in the rent, and our LL went out of his way to show me where the control unit was and urged me to stick on extra heating times during cold spells.

Advertisement