Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Oz - Ringwood VIC

Options
  • 13-05-2012 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, moving to Australia and my job would be in Knoxfield. Just wondering if anybody has any information about a town called Ringwood and if there is many Irish there. I am also trying to find out if 60,000 aus dollars would be manageable to live on, thats before tax, I am married with 3 children. My wife can also work but as it stands I would be only one working at the start. All replies welcome Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

don't know anything about ringwood, but i would say the irish have pretty much penetrated all of oz at this stage.
    60k sounds a bit meger, but then again could be great money for what you are doing.
    i would imagine it is the same everywhere and you live within your budget, if you are making 200k then you live on a 200k budget if you are making 60k then you live on a 60k budget.

iam heading out shortly, wife and 3 kids also. iam going to go out by myself first and try and get stuff sorted like job, house , car etc wife and kids will follow in a few mths time if things go well for me out there and she gets finished up over here, if things aren't working out for me i may well be home before they move out, but that is a biggggg iffffff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Plenty of families are living on $60K, the national average is about $71K.

But depends on what visa you are on, if it's PR then you would be eligible for family credits and benefits. Just cut your cloth to suit.

If its a 457 then you are going to get basically nothing plus with an Irish passport you only get the bargain basement recipricol agreement (no Medicare).

Also where you live depends on how much you rent and transport costs.

Many things to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ringwood is one of the Larger suburbs in the Eastern suburbs. The East being by majority vote a nicer place to live than the west.

Its North Of Knoxfield (Which by the way is really a Police station and a Shopping Centre)

There are a lot of good and bad suburbs around Knoxfield for example Boronia is best avoided but its in no way like Ballymun or anything.

60,000 is liveable depends on the age of your kids and the schooling requirements.

Plus your VISA is a factor in cases of Family tax rebate and childcare costs if not in School.

Depends what you want to know really?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

As others have said there's lots to consider.
    Any particular reason to live in Ringwood? There'd be plenty of accom within a stones throw of Knox.
    Don't know details of Irish, I assume there's a few but to be honest there aren't really particular areas of Melbourne that Irish now settle in. I have heard of some going to Point Cook but thats the other side of the city. There is an Irish pub in Knox but its in the middle of the shopping mall.
    On 60k with 3 kids, you will need to budget and encourage your wife to get a job. Minimum wage is $15.50 giving an annual salary of just over $30,500 to give you an idea.
    Bring as much money as possible, set up costs can be expensive. Rentals will not be furnished. The costs of living are not cheap. Petrol is $1.45 for unleaded. Milk is 1$ a litre for homebrand. You could go onto the www.Coles.com.au website and tally the price of your weekly shop. ALDI has arrived and is cheaper but obviously less range.
    Check on www.domain.com.au or www.realestate.com.au for rental prices.
    You might want to check it out here yourself first before getting the entire family to up sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

60K a year means you'll take home around $900-950 a week. I was on that (although I'm casual) and although you'll be fine at the start you'll need the missus to get a job if you want to have a good standard of living.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Yeh 60k is nice money for somebody who is single and has no responsibilities (I'm on close to that, and am saving a small fortune) but with a family you will need 2 incomes to live comfortably I think.

I've small experience with Ringwood. I run track and field races out there at Proclamation Park, usually around 3-4 times during the season. My one thought of the place is that it's miles away from the centre of the city. About 45 minutes on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

I live close to Ringwood, pretty good area for families lots of facilities etc. You should be able to rent 3/4 bed house for around $350-450 p.w. One thing you will miss is a "local" though. It doesn't really exist out in the burbs, any pubs that are here are to be avoided!!

$60k isn'y alot to be honest. I earn a wee bit more than that and i spend the majority of it. That being said i spend it on trips etc so i am sure you could get by with careful budgeting!

Admit it jockey bet you love a good over 28 night at daisys?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Believe it or not I haven't actually being there. My housemates have tried to get me to go there but i've heard the rumours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cantona1966

Hi to all that answered, thanks for the information. Still no offer on the job yet fingers crossed it will be good news. One reply was why Ringwood, we had a family friend move over 2 months ago and she moved there just thought it would be company for my wife because it's such a big move. It would be a 457 visa so are you not covered under Medicare. 2 schoolgoing children in primary school and 1 infant. Really want to make a go of it if I get the job, by replies so far it's about 60/40 in favour. Thanks again

• Advertisement

The basic Medicare cover means you'll be looked after for free in a public hospital A&E or as inpatient (be aware of waiting lists)
    Details here:
    http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp

Anything else like visit to GP cost about 65-85$ depending. Medicines on script average about $20, most you will pay on presentation of your passport is $35.40 unless it's a private item.

So as long as everyone is in good health, no particular medical conditions, it should be fine. But as always with children be prepared for unforeseen costs.

Good luck with it all.

Thanx Copperspale, one last thing if you dont mind, do you know anybody who works for Ventura Bus or do you know anything about them yourself, this would be who my employment would be with just trying to get some info. I.E shifts and what wages would be possible with o/t and penalties ect. Thanx again

I know little of Ventura. Looking at this flyer:
    http://www.venturabus.com.au/resources/Ventura_Recruitment_Brochure.pdf
    That would indicate 60k is top of the scale. To be honest I would phone them to get exact details. They state 38 hours is minimum week.
    Looking at payscale I got this:

http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Bus_Driver,_Transit_and_Intercity/Hourly_Rate
    To give you an idea of standard hourly rates.

Thanx Copperspale, one last thing if you dont mind, do you know anybody who works for Ventura Bus or do you know anything about them yourself, this would be who my employment would be with just trying to get some info. I.E shifts and what wages would be possible with o/t and penalties ect. Thanx again

Cantona I recall when they started advertising and I had one jitter about the whole thing.

At the end of your 457 what are the chances of you
    A ] Being sponsored again
    Or
    B ] Being able to move from that position on to a permanent visa.

Sorry but your going to battle for the first few years I would hate to see you battle for 4 years and not have the option of staying?

Hi Zambia, At the end of 4 years if you are happy with them and vice verca, then they will pay for your permanent residency. They are also sorting out and paying for the 457 too.

Thats not a bad deal then.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jizzyboner

Hi cantona

Did you get an offer from Ventura yet?

I just got an email today with an offer subject to Visa approval, for their depot in Oakleigh. At the interview the lady did say that the Irish drivers would be based at one of two depots. Not sure what Oakleigh is like but it's about 14km south east of Melbourne on the map.

Hope you had good news also.

Pat

Hi Zambia, At the end of 4 years if you are happy with them and vice verca, then they will pay for your permanent residency. They are also sorting out and paying for the 457 too.

Advertisement