Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europe's nations should be guided towards the super-state....

• 13-05-2012 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

"Europe's nations should be guided towards the super-state without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation." - Jean Monnet, 'Founding Father' of the EU

I thought it would be apt to post this quote on the run up to the fiscal treaty referendum... sorry if you are all blue-in-the-face with it, this couldn't go without a mention.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I, for one, welcome our usual European overlords ... not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

What's the source for that quote???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Well that's just scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

much better to be aligned to europe than be a rock in the middle of the ocean with no natural resources
    we are NOT the US ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Meh!

I'm Irish and proud!

Stuff the federation! Go Browncoats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

First of all, Jean Monnet died in 1979, so is this really news?

Second of all, can we have a source for this qoute so we can be sure that it's an actual qoute as well as see the context in which it was said and how it relates to actual policy in terms of European integration. Because, that sort of stuff is kinda important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'v no problem with it, But I do have a problem with too much government and I fear the EU will get tangled up in too much bureaucracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

First of all, Jean Monnet died in 1979, so is this really news?

Second of all, can we have a source for this qoute so we can be sure that it's an actual qoute as well as see the context in which it was said and how it relates to actual policy in terms of European integration. Because, that sort of stuff is kinda important.

Monnet did say some crazy stuff over the years but I've never seen this quote referenced anywhere before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

It's an enviable outcome of european union - just a question of how long it will take. We get peace, economic growth, keep our cultural identities and serve as a model for the developing world..not so bad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

"Europe's nations should be guided towards the super-state without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation." - Jean Monnet, 'Founding Father' of the EU

I thought it would be apt to post this quote on the run up to the fiscal treaty referendum... sorry if you are all blue-in-the-face with it, this couldn't go without a mention.

You're posting in the wrong forum. Here's where your OP should be:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

What's the source for that quote???

4th quote from the bottom here

there are many references to that quote online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Leaving quotes aside, is it not obvious that a European state has always been the intention?

And now, if it doesn't happen (or at least the imposition of 100% centrally controlled fiscal policy, a Eurobond, and the closing down of individual country central banks) the Euro will inevitably break up....seems pretty black and white to me. The EU as currently structured simply does not, and will not work....I suspect the architects of the Euro always knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Jean Monnet never actually said that. That quote came from a British conservative MP who was paraphrasing his intentions (And deceitfully creating a federation was not one of them).

If you Google that quote all you find is it posted on other forums, "activist" blogs, the site for UKIP and (Surprise surprise) the Daily Mail. Not a single verifiable source that attributes it to Jean Monnet.

It might have been more successful if they had put the steps in the right order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Jean Monnet never actually said that. That quote came from a British conservative MP who was paraphrasing his intentions (And deceitfully creating a federation was not one of them).

If you Google that quote all you find is it posted on other forums, "activist" blogs, the site for UKIP and (Surprise surprise) the Daily Mail. Not a single verifiable source that attributes it to Jean Monnet.

he may not have said it...but he meant it......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP please use one of the many threads already in existence, or perhaps the Politics or EU forums.
    But there, as here, you should back up your statements with credible sources. Otherwise this just turns into one of those "was Hitler really vegetarian?" threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement