Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All except me failed physics for the mocks?

• 13-05-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

What would you think of a teacher that gives his class no notes, never does exam questions, nor even gets his class of 9 to have a hardback? That's right, mine is that. I'm the only one who did well in my mocks for physics; I got a B1 from studying the entire course myself. Everyone else got below 40%. One girl got 17%. Why is he allowed to even teach, and what could be done? :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

tumblr_m3mveoBacW1r6p48c.gif

Stop crying and start studying

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Exact same as my class. 1 guy got 78 and I was second highest with 38. Nothing to do with the teacher though. Just a ridiculously laid back class

And you should only worry about yourself. If they wont do the work its their own fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

earwax_man wrote: »
    What would you think of a teacher that gives his class no notes, never does exam questions, nor even gets his class of 9 to have a hardback? That's right, mine is that. I'm the only one who did well in my mocks for physics; I got a B1 from studying the entire course myself. Everyone else got below 40%. One girl got 17%. Why is he allowed to even teach, and what could be done? :confused:

I was never actually taught physics. My teacher taught us light at the start of 5th and then he just disappeared. Hence, we've had two hdips over the last 2 years, a chemistry teacher, a maths teacher and some clown who didn't even know what physics actually is. If you think you're bad, my situation is probably worse.

Nevertheless, I, and a few other classmates, got on with it and studied by ourselves. In fairness, with all the resources that can be found online it's not that hard to teach by yourself. Myself, I got 89% in the mocks (f*cking units) through hard work. I did leave out heat because I struggle with that section a bit :o But still, I don't you should expect everything to be spoonfed to you.

But yeah, there are hundreds of teachers out there just like ours and frankly, I don't think there's much you can do about it apart from report them to the principal. I myself at the start of 6th year just told my teacher I wasn't going to participate in class so I could study, and that worked out fine! So stop yer moaning and get the head down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Exact same as my class. 1 guy got 78 and I was second highest with 38. Nothing to do with the teacher though. Just a ridiculously laid back class

And you should only worry about yourself. If they wont do the work its their own fault

This is good!! Pretty sure LC examiners use bell curve grading, so the worse your classmates do the higher your result will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

skanger wrote: »
    tumblr_m3mveoBacW1r6p48c.gif

Stop crying and start studying

Who are you to say I'm not? I've made an entire hardback full of notes in one month. I get As in the tests I give myself. :mad:

I'm just annoyed that he's allowed to get away with it. I couldn't care less about anyone in my year; it's just the principle of it all. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

This is good!! Pretty sure LC examiners use bell curve grading, so the worse your classmates do the higher your result will be!

Not true. OP please do not take this advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Not true. OP please do not take this advice.

You're telling him that 'worrying about yourself only' is not a good advice? Why not? After all, what is his interest in having others do badly?

OP, you've done well to learn it yourself, keep up the work. If you really feel strongly about it complain to the principal. Otherwise just keep doing your own work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Should have minimised my quote. There will be no bell curve pattern within the class. So I am suggesting the OP ignore the advice which tells them that the worse his class does the better he will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ClaireBearBoat

Well done on your mocks result :)

I have a good teacher but a lot of people in my class failed too (maybe over half of my class of 25), the mock we got was hard enough (One girl got 9% :eek: ). I got a B1 which was the highest in my class. A lot of people find physics difficult so congrats on getting a good grade by yourself.

I would discuss it with some of your classmates and if you all feel the same way maybe try and bring it to the principal's attention.

Good Luck :p

Advertisement