Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When things go wrong in theatre?

• 13-05-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

I rememeber seeing a thread on the association of musical societies website about how things went wrong with certain performances. Recently I did a play I directed and acted in 'The Rising of The Moon' by Lady Gregory. When I went off stage with a fully lit lantern of paraphlin oil in it. I stood down hard on the step and it slid from under me with a bang and everyone in the audience heard it. I was told that i saved the lantern and if that broke things would have gone up in flames. It was a sore enough fall. I was really embarrassed and annoyed about it. Anyone have something similiar happen to them or see what went wrong in their theatre club?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Things regularly don't go to plan in theatre.

When I was directing "Wanted: One Body!" some years ago, one of the table legs broke during the performance as did a grandfather clock face. Fortunately the actors were strong improvisors and were able to handle it.

I saw a version of "The Plough And The Stars" where a door came off the hinges at one point and at another, one of the actresses' toe got crush from a pram. Again they handled it very professionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I was in Guys&Dolls a few years ago and one of the actors missed his cue. Didn't arrive on stage til about 40 seconds after he was supposed to. There were 6 of us onstage and we just improvised until he made it. Very fun.

Was at an Opera Ireland preview 2 years ago in the Gaiety and, when something went not exactly to plan on stage, the Director yelled from the balcony that they had to start the whole scene again. Curtain went down, performers went off and then the whole scene was redone. Insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

That poor actress and her toe! That was insane for a director to do that!

Advertisement