Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stability Treaty - Will Mayo Vote Yes?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

wont voting yes legalise the household and water charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

Yes if it means I have a Job. I have paid them in every other country where I have worked.. Hell of a lot higher in UK where the bill was £1600 a year. In Ireland I only pay 250 bin charge + 100 house tax and at the moment nothing for water.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Jesus. Where does this stuff even come from? Have you read the proposed constitutional amendment? It's only a paragraph. Have you read the treaty it allows us to ratify? It's only 14 pages.

The right to vote on these issues carries a concomitant responsibility to understand what you're voting on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The charges will be legal regardless of how you vote in the referendum, where do you even begin to find this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    Iceland ... WAS NEVER IN THE EURO!!. And anyone who is suggesting that what they did will solve our problems is crazy. Are you saying that when their currency crashed there was not austerity? Because they haven't a clue. I dealt with Icelandic customers and for a for months it was impossible to trade because their banking system collapsed,, when it came back they could not afford to pay for imports. Even today Iceland is still in deep austerity ... There are not easy solutions.

Could you send that second video to Noonan + Kenny? (The Victoria Grant one)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Tell us have you taken the time to study the documents setting up the IMF, the BIS, the ECB or the World Bank? If you had you'd realize that these are normal clauses necessary for those organizations to function. Without these clauses being there it would be possible for every nutter in the place to frustrate the operations of the organization by bring petty and vexatious legal actions against them. Furthermore it would be very difficult to staff such organizations, if every action they take would be subject to legal actions.

Taking article 32 out of context has been a strategy of the NO campaign for some time now - don't be fooled by it. If there were any real grounds to this claim don't you think the main stream press would have been on it weeks ago.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I was at the polling station in Ardnaree twice this morning, empty both times! I was the only voter in the place when going to cast my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I was there twice today too and I was the only one in it. I was there at 8.30 and 1.30. The clerk said she had never seen such a poor turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Voting continues in EI Fiscal Treaty Referedum - turnout across Mayo by 5pm this evening averages 20% Thursday, 31 May 2012 16:19
    Polling stations across the country are preparing for an influx of voters this evening, as voting continues on the EU Fiscal Treaty referendum.

Since 7 am this morning, over 240 polling stations have been open for business across Co Mayo, and will remain open until 10pm tonight.
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny cast his vote at St Patrick’s National School in Castlebar this morning.
    By lunchtime today, turnout was averaging at 10% or slightly over across Mayo -
    This evening – the average across Co Mayo is about 20%.

In Castlebar, turnout up to 5 pm this evening was about 20%, while Ballina was slightly over that – nearer 21%.
    In Westport, turnout so far is at 21% also,
    Foxford – 21% also, and in Swinford, turnout is also averaging 21%.
    In Claremorris, turnout up to 5pm was about 19%, about the same in Ballyhaunis, and considerably lower in Ballinrobe at 16%.
    The highest turnout so far today is in Murrisk, outside Westport, at 25.3%.

Elsewhere, turnout in Crossmolina is about 18%,
    20% in Bohola,
    19% in Ballycroy, and 17% in Ballindine.

Once the polling stations close at 10 tonight, ballot boxes will be brought to the Mayo count centre at the TF Royal Theatre in Castlebar.

County Registrar Fintan Murphy says counting of votes begins at 9am tomorrow morning, with a result from Mayo expected by mid-afternoon…..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

finisklin wrote: »
    Once the polling stations close at 10 tonight, ballot boxes will be brought to the Mayo count centre at the TF Royal Theatre in Castlebar.

Makes sense I suppose - we're having the referendum because the country's in receivership and the count centre is too . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

70% yes vote in Castlebar. 50-50 in Westport. Majority No in Pollathomas.

Looks like the county went with Enda.

Rural Galway seems to have been majority yes. They didn't go along with Eamonn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

67% overall for Mayo with a poor turnout - 40%.

Thought there would have been a bigger no vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

finisklin wrote: »
    67% overall for Mayo with a poor turnout - 40%.

Thought there would have been a bigger no vote.

A lot of people who support SF are unemployed - low paid.. Who at the end of the day don't bother voting anyway. You go to some of the council estates in Mayo and many living their have never seen the inside of a polling booth. Goes to show how some as totally disengaged with democracy.

Advertisement