Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost to repair timing chain on opel corsa 2007

• 13-05-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi there..
    Have been told the timing chain on my 2007 opel corsa is about to go. Anyone any idea on average this should cost to have repaired??
    Clock is at 64,000km... Its Petrol and manual. Dunno if that makes any diff but just in case...
    Thanks for yer help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I'd get a second opinion if I were you.

The chains can get noisy on them due to worn tensioners if not serviced properly but they rarely fail unless you've been running it with no/very low oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Is it the new model that came out in 2007?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

Been working in opel main dealers for a few years, ive never seen a corsa chain break i have seen them jump timing alright, the chains do wear and get slack and most of the time if caught on time you will get away with just replacing the timing chain itself, a new chain for opel is around €56+vat, where im working now we charge €300 to supply and fit a new chain an oil change would be advised at the same time, If the timing chain tensioner is worn alot more time is required and more parts needed so the cost will go up. But saying that id say 90% of the time we just use a chain on its own, When you get your new chain fitted get the car serviced more regularly and use good quality oil it will prolong the life of the timing chain, above info goes for all 1L and 1.2L chain driven coras from 97 on and chain driven 1.2L and 1.4L astras from 98 on, i think the new A10 and A12 corsa engines have the same chain too but havent seen them give trouble thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Timing chain snapped on my 2001 1.0 Corsa, about 6 weeks after I bought it way back, in 2004 or so.

It only had 31k on the clock too :eek:

Was regurlarly serviced (docs backed this up).

Luckily I'd bought it off a dealer, they took it back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dubchick81

joeperry wrote: »
    Is it the new model that came out in 2007?
    Yea that's the one.. Its the 2008 model but was registered in late 2007
    DaveJac wrote: »
    Been working in opel main dealers for a few years, ive never seen a corsa chain break i have seen them jump timing alright, the chains do wear and get slack and most of the time if caught on time you will get away with just replacing the timing chain itself, a new chain for opel is around €56+vat, where im working now we charge €300 to supply and fit a new chain an oil change would be advised at the same time, If the timing chain tensioner is worn alot more time is required and more parts needed so the cost will go up. But saying that id say 90% of the time we just use a chain on its own, When you get your new chain fitted get the car serviced more regularly and use good quality oil it will prolong the life of the timing chain, above info goes for all 1L and 1.2L chain driven coras from 97 on and chain driven 1.2L and 1.4L astras from 98 on, i think the new A10 and A12 corsa engines have the same chain too but havent seen them give trouble thankfully
    It was an Opel dealer that told me the chain was "on its way out"
    I bought the car from them and was looking to sell it back to them.
    He said the cost would be €600...
    Am gona ring around today to get quotes from a few places around to see if its worth getting done before selling on, or reduce my asking and then sell it on.. Just wanted an average price I should be looking at so I'm not royally ripped.. We all know mechanics and female customers...
    I would have thought being a "trusted" name garage he wouldn't be saying that to get a lower price??? Or am I being seriously niaive.......

Thanks to all for your replies. Much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Dubchick81

Well, Just had my car at a local mechanic and he says there's nothing at all wrong with it! Says its a great little car and they were definitely just tryna it for as little money as possible!!! Have to say am very shocked as its a very well known garage around the area.. Not impressed in the slightest!!
    Lost a sale yesterday coz I'm too honest and told an interested party the timing chain was about to go in it... Grrrrrr... >:(

Advertisement