Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Politicians salaries.

• 13-05-2012 9:18pm
    Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭

Given the austerity that the rest of the country will have to endure in the next 10 years it would only be reasonable for MP's to have their salaries slashed to around €27k a year. I see no reason why they should earn more, to be honest I think it should be like in the old days where politicians did not get paid at all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

MP's are in the UK and the last time I checked,they don't use the €

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

50 k for a TD
    80 k for a minister
    100 k for the Taoiseach
    That's more than enough for them and cut out all expenses.

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Invader_Zimmy

50 k for a TD
    80 k for a minister
    100 k for the Taoiseach
    That's more than enough for them and cut out all expenses.

max €40k is good enough for a Taoiseach. Ireland is poor, get with the program. The country cannot afford lavish expenses and high salaries for politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

id love to see some sort of monitoring system in place to see exactly what hours are put in compared to the average joe... but i do agree i think they are well overpaid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

A British MP gets paid 65,738 pounds per year according to the following webpage:

http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/members-faq-page2/

The Salary of a TD is 92,672 euro per year, according to wikipedia. This does not include expenses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teachta_D%C3%A1la#Salaries_and_expenses

It may interest some people that MPs in Britain were not actually paid at all until about 100 years ago. People did not go into politics because it paid well, it was all about connections, power and of course, some did have good intentions. In the United States, the same can be said for the Office of the President because many of the men who held that office did not even draw their salaries.

I don't generally go into for begrudgery of Irish politicians because I have little interest in what is essentially a circus but it seems to me that the Dail is a ticket to a handy job and a secure future.

• Advertisement

RichardAnd wrote: »
    A British MP gets paid 65,738 pounds per year according to the following webpage:

The Salary of a TD is 92,672 euro per year, according to wikipedia. This does not include expenses.

It may interest some people that MPs in Britain were not actually paid at all until about 100 years ago. People did not go into politics because it paid well, it was all about connections, power and of course, some did have good intentions. In the United States, the same can be said for the Office of the President because many of the men who held that office did not even draw their salaries.

I don't generally go into for begrudgery of Irish politicians because I have little interest in what is essentially a circus but it seems to me that the Dail is a ticket to a handy job and a secure future.

amazing..... but lets cut the money for those who need it most....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

RichardAnd wrote: »

be carefull when comparing td's with mp's......it is not unusual for mp's to get 100 grand expenses..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

It's not like for like.

AFAIK, MPs have more backroom staff leaving a lesser workload on the MP. The expenses for MPs are astounding too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Cutting the salary to 0 would mean only people with another source of income (ie. rich people) could become TD's, which I think would be bad. Also, they probably deserve some wage premium given a) It's not a very secure job (what with an election every few years, and b) [As much as people hate politicians] it is a very tough and demanding job. From what I can tell, being a TD pretty much takes over your life. You can't just go home at 5 and forget about it, you're pretty much at the beck and call of constituents.

Maybe what they're getting is a bit much, but at the same time, there's a logic behind not paying them a pittance.

BOHtox wrote: »
    It's not like for like.

AFAIK, MPs have more backroom staff leaving a lesser workload on the MP. The expenses for MPs are astounding too.

i remember a few years ago.....one mp was claiming 64 grand for postage stamps..........

you could never lick that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Personally I'd go

€75k for a TD
    €100k for a Minister, Taoiseach or President.

The big problem is however their insane expenses such as travel, overnights, constituency office allowances and expenses, Oireachtas Committee payments, pensions etc etc etc etc.

If you were to tackle the perks properly you might go some way to cutting the bill substantially.

bijapos wrote: »
    Personally I'd go

€75k for a TD
    €100k for a Minister, Taoiseach or President.

The big problem is however their insane expenses such as travel, overnights, constituency office allowances and expenses, Oireachtas Committee payments, pensions etc etc etc etc.

If you were to tackle the perks properly you might go some way to cutting the bill substantially.

agreed.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Pay then an hourly rate for time in the Dail.
    Have all expenses vouched and have reciepts.
    All non Dail TD work should be recorded and handed in at the end of the week/month.
    Kissing babies and opening shops is not TD work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

stoneill wrote: »
    Pay then an hourly rate for time in the Dail.
    Have all expenses vouched and have reciepts.
    All non Dail TD work should be recorded and handed in at the end of the week/month.
    Kissing babies and opening shops is not TD work.

The problem with that then is the TD's would never see their constituents, except maybe during their constituency hours. They'd never get to interact with them, which means a massive disconnect between voters and politicians; it's pretty hard to trust someone you've never met. The only time you'd see them is during canvassing, and politicians during full on election mode aren't the same as politicians the rest of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I can see where you're coming from in terms of the whole parish pump politics thing. But at the same time, I think it's good for people to be actually able to meet the people they're electing and see what they're like in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The 2012 budget for the Oireachtas is €116 million. That includes not only the salaries of all members (excluding ministerial allowances paid by departments), but those of the staff, maintenance and operations. For what it does it's much better value than some other public services I could mention.

€116 million is not a lot out of an expenditure of €51 billion. I'm all for efficiencies, and I do thing there's room for a cut, but the savings would likely not add up to more than €3/3.5 million even if you were to cut all TDs by 20% of base salary. Senators don't get paid very well at all so I wouldn't particularly be in favour of cutting that salary.

ninty9er wrote: »
    The 2012 budget for the Oireachtas is €116 million. That includes not only the salaries of all members (excluding ministerial allowances paid by departments), but those of the staff, maintenance and operations. For what it does it's much better value than some other public services I could mention.

€116 million is not a lot out of an expenditure of €51 billion. I'm all for efficiencies, and I do thing there's room for a cut, but the savings would likely not add up to more than €3/3.5 million even if you were to cut all TDs by 20% of base salary. Senators don't get paid very well at all so I wouldn't particularly be in favour of cutting that salary.

is there a vested interest here...????

is there a vested interest here...????

I'm a member of a political part if that's what you mean. I'm not elected to any public office, though I am an elected officer.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm a member of a political part if that's what you mean. I'm not elected to any public office, though I am an elected officer.

i just asked to find out, what is your view regarding the best way to make cuts...........there are too many outsiders making suggestions without knowing the facts......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

Half the number of TDs in the Dail for starters. 166 is far too many for a population of our size. We are one of the most over-represented electorate in the world. Then slash their wages by 50%. No more expenses either except for exceptional circumstances. If Enda wants to go gallivanting around Europe he can take Ryanair, and pay out of his own pocket. Next abolish the Seanad. This expensive debating club is nothing but an Old Boys Club for unelected government cronies to collect another wage packet. Half the number of county and town councillors. Most of them are gombeens anyway and usually related to other politicians. A lot of councils around the country resemble family businesses with fathers, sons and daughters all riding the gravy train together. Way too much local government in Ireland. Can't wait till the Fiscal Stability Treaty is rejected so the IMF return with a slash and burn policy, chucking half of these wasters out on their asses. We might make some savings there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Given the austerity that the rest of the country will have to endure in the next 10 years it would only be reasonable for MP's to have their salaries slashed to around €27k a year. I see no reason why they should earn more, to be honest I think it should be like in the old days where politicians did not get paid at all.

In the not too distant past TD's were getting paid very basic salaries, unfortunately anyone who knows what it takes to service a constituency knows it takes a substantial income, the travel alone around a constituency in rural Ireland would drain most of the suggested fogure of €27000. It was thought that the low salary was part of what led to the culture of accepting payments from shadier individuals and the reasoning then became to pay a salary that was in line with the hours and expenses being incurred. Personally I think salaries could be cut by another 10% but after that you are again laying the ground for dodgy payments. People who say cut the salaries or pay them nothing need to study a politicians life for a while and see if they would still hold the same view.And for the record, I am a member of a politicial party but not elected, but have seen the strain of the life and the strain financially to serve constiuents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 imfrieda

I really have no idea about politician salaries but would love to know how much they earn :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

And for the record, I am a member of a politicial party but not elected, but have seen the strain of the life and the strain financially to serve constiuents.

Nobody is forced to become a politician. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. But of course most politicians choose to join the game for the lavish wages and paid expenses. Our TDs are among the best paid in the world, with Enda Kenny earning more than Obama or David Cameron. It explains why so many sons follow their fathers into the profession, and why Ireland is plagued with so many political dynasties.

Ever wonder why you were not elected? Maybe run on the promise of not collecting any expenses and accepting the average industrial wage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Half the number of TDs in the Dail for starters. 166 is far too many for a population of our size. We are one of the most over-represented electorate in the world. .

Why only half the number. Any one outside of the cabinet is just picking up a cheque for nothing. Get rid of the whip system if we're paying anyone who's not a minister. The dail is just an undemocratic rubber stamping tool.

Nobody is forced to become a politician. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. But of course most politicians choose to join the game for the lavish wages and paid expenses. Our TDs are among the best paid in the world, with Enda Kenny earning more than Obama or David Cameron. It explains why so many sons follow their fathers into the profession, and why Ireland is plagued with so many political dynasties.

Ever wonder why you were not elected? Maybe run on the promise of not collecting any expenses and accepting the average industrial wage...

First of all, what research are you using to back up the statement that politicians enter for the lavish wages and paid expenses, seeing as they ahve only began in the last 15 years? What was their raison d'etre before that when there were no lavish wages or expenses. Most politicians I know do it for much different purposes.As for Obama and Cameron, both have houses ( Cameron has two ) provided by the state, Obama has a fleet of Limos, Air Force One and numerous other large expenses picked up by the Federal government. By your way of thinking Obama should be funding Air Force One out of his own pocket, paying rent on the White House and buying his bomb proof limos out of his salary.Sons follow fathers into lots of professions, its because its what they grow up with, its not exclusively limited to politicians. Perhaps making some study of politics rather than just shouting tried and tested reactionary stuff and it might begin to make some sense.As for me never being elected, it might have more to do with never having ran for office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Half the number of TDs in the Dail for starters. 166 is far too many for a population of our size. We are one of the most over-represented electorate in the world. Then slash their wages by 50%. No more expenses either except for exceptional circumstances. If Enda wants to go gallivanting around Europe he can take Ryanair, and pay out of his own pocket. Next abolish the Seanad. This expensive debating club is nothing but an Old Boys Club for unelected government cronies to collect another wage packet. Half the number of county and town councillors. Most of them are gombeens anyway and usually related to other politicians. A lot of councils around the country resemble family businesses with fathers, sons and daughters all riding the gravy train together. Way too much local government in Ireland. Can't wait till the Fiscal Stability Treaty is rejected so the IMF return with a slash and burn policy, chucking half of these wasters out on their asses. We might make some savings there.
    I think this is the key really.
    We have far too many elected representatives in this country (T.D's, Senators, City and Local Councilors), and far to many local (and often ineffective )governments. While there does appear to be a move and a tonne of promises to reduce these numbers, nothing has happened.
    Reducing these numbers would reduce the "support costs" dramatically and, in my opinion lead to a more effective, accountable governance at local and national level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

For me I think TD's should be paid twice the average industrial wage, a minister twice average industrail wage +10K, Tainiste twice average industrial wage + 15K and Taoiseach twice average industrial wage +20K and all expenses need to be vouched.

I cant see why they are not vouched, most people who work in Jobs that they need to travel or anything like that have to produce receipts. I know when I travel I am have to buy my own plane tickets and pay for the hotel but then claim back the cash and I have to produce the receipts and ticket stubs to show I did actually travel, also there is a list of hotels that I can book with I am allowed a daily allowance for meals which I can claim with no receipts, anything over that and I have to have a receipt.

As for the argument about paying them less will lead to corruption, well then we need to bring in stricter laws that says if they are caught then they will face a trial and will go to prison and if they are guilty they will be paying the costs not the taxpayer.

Why should politicians be any different?

One last thing, I feel that TD's should be restricted to the number of terms they serve, 3 terms is 15 years in the Dail and that is enough. This way we get fresh blood in there every few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

why do whips get an allowance (this is a party issue let them pay)

all expenses should vouched no if's or but's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I really doubt many people get involved in politics for the lavish salaries etc. as a poster above suggests.

Very few people are going to decide one rainy Monday morning, after a heavy weekend on the beer and a tough commute, to jack in the day job a become a politician cos it pays better.

Politics is a tough job, to even get near a seat in the Dail you have to work day and night 365 days a year, listening to every one who needs to talk to you.
    And to keep it you have to work even harder.
    There is no clocking off at 5pm and going home to the family to watch BGT.

Those that are involved are often involved from youth, on school and university student councils, or as election and constituency workers for their local representatives, others are the children of representatives and have been involved since childhood in some shape of form.

• Advertisement

I really doubt many people get involved in politic for the lavish salaries etc. as a poster above suggests.

Very few people are going to decide one rainy Monday morning, after a heavy weekend on the beer and a tough commute, to jack in the day job a become a politician cos it pays better.

Politics is a tough job, to even get near a seat in the Dail you have to work day and night 365 days a year, listening to every one who needs to talk to you.
    And to keep it you have to work even harder.
    There is no clocking off at 5pm and going home to the family to watch BGT.

Those that are involved are often involved from your, on school and university councils, or as election and constituency workers for their local representatives, others are the children of representatives and have been involved since childhood in some shape of form.

no they do it purely for the love of their country:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Good points. Also, when I hear ANY politician talking about the bailout, they talk about 'paying our teachers/nurses/gardas' salaries', never a mention of their own!

liammur wrote: »
    Good points. Also, when I hear ANY politician talking about the bailout, they talk about 'paying our teachers/nurses/gardas' salaries', never a mention of their own!

what are they going to say 'lets make sure we get the bailout so WE can get paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the politicians should be on jobsbridge allowances.... let them see what it's like to be paid less than minimum wage for a 40hr week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

no they do it purely for the love of their country:rolleyes:

Well that's a very informative and articulate answer.

People get into politics for lots of reasons, some for the good of their country, but it usually starts for the good of their local area, as most politicians start out local.

Others because they are the type of people who are drawn to political discourse, debating, current affairs, etc.

Other who come from political families and follow in their parents footsteps, as people in other jobs and trades do.

But I certainty think it is ridiculous to believe that 'most politicians choose to join the game for the lavish wages and paid expenses'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A man/woman in their thirties making a success of their career and on a decent salary, but with huge personal outgoings due to college loans, mortgage, cars and the expense of raising their 3 children.

Has some really good ideas for the governance of the country and is considering a move into politics. Although fully aware that he/she is potentially losing the 20 years of their life (say from 40 to 60) where they will maximise their career earnings, they really feel they can make a difference.

And the bright sparks on boards.ie think mimimum wage or job seekers allowance should be their renumeration. God help us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Floppybits wrote: »
    I cant see why they are not vouched, most people who work in Jobs that they need to travel or anything like that have to produce receipts. I know when I travel I am have to buy my own plane tickets and pay for the hotel but then claim back the cash and I have to produce the receipts and ticket stubs to show I did actually travel, also there is a list of hotels that I can book with I am allowed a daily allowance for meals which I can claim with no receipts, anything over that and I have to have a receipt.
    As you've discovered with your daily allowance for meals, the non-vouched thing makes a lot of sense. Why do you want teams of administrators checking through receipts. It makes perfect sense to have standard non-vouched rates for particular meals and overnights.

The vouching issue a red herring. The real issue is why TDs are entitled to so many expenses anyway. Why do Dublin-based TDs pick up €12k per annum for just showing up for work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I've no problem with paying talented politicians who are performing well, but I'd love to see more accountability and proof of performance before high salaries.

How about:
    - TDs elected for the first time start on a low salary.
    - Before the next election video presentations by all TDs are put up publically online where they get to explain how they made Ireland better during their time in office, and reveal and justify their expenses. This should give the public enough information to judge whether a politican performed well enough to be re-elected.
    - If a TD had an impressive first term and is re-elected, they now move to a significantly higher salary level and only now qualify for any TD pension etc.
    - All expenses for everyone are vouched, or certain people are vouched and the hard evidence from them is used to set limits for others in the next term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

A man/woman in their thirties making a success of their career and on a decent salary, but with huge personal outgoings due to college loans, mortgage, cars and the expense of raising their 3 children.

Has some really good ideas for the governance of the country and is considering a move into politics. Although fully aware that he/she is potentially losing the 20 years of their life (say from 40 to 60) where they will maximise their career earnings, they really feel they can make a difference.

And the bright sparks on boards.ie think mimimum wage or job seekers allowance should be their renumeration. God help us.

Yes, some posts are undoubtedly silly. However, we cannot justify their high wages and salaries. Bertie Ahern's salary went up by almost 300% over the course of his tenure as Taoiseach.

alb wrote: »
    I've no problem with paying talented politicians who are performing well, but I'd love to see more accountability and proof of performance before high salaries.

How about:
    - TDs elected for the first time start on a low salary.
    - Before the next election video presentations by all TDs are put up publically online where they get to explain how they made Ireland better during their time in office, and reveal and justify their expenses. This should give the public enough information to judge whether a politican performed well enough to be re-elected.
    - If a TD had an impressive first term and is re-elected, they now move to a significantly higher salary level and only now qualify for any TD pension etc.
    - All expenses for everyone are vouched, or certain people are vouched and the hard evidence from them is used to set limits for others in the next term.

You get the opportunity to sack them every five years, thats the ultimate accountability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

the politicians should be on jobsbridge allowances.... let them see what it's like to be paid less than minimum wage for a 40hr week

Though that's clearly not feasible, it would be interesting to see. Young people in this country are often subject to legislation enacted by old men and women who will never be affected by it in the civil service and in the dail. It's a fine thing to talk of working on welfare when one is removed from the possibility of ever having to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

max €40k is good enough for a Taoiseach. Ireland is poor, get with the program. The country cannot afford lavish expenses and high salaries for politicians.

Thanks for the adivce but I am with the programme. My figures were somewhat realistic, yours were a bit wide of the mark.

i dont think the overall feeling is put them on minimum wage but that they are excessively paid and this needs to be reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

If a man or woman loves their country enough and wants to genuinely work for the good of their country than they should be very happy with the average industrial wage.
    Instead we got a load of greedy self serving TDs who jumped on the gravey train.
    Patroits they are not.

Alternatively pay them what they were earning prior to election an see how much more that 'efficiency' costs us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

Thread stinks of the usual Irish attitude of
    "Hey, that guy over there is paid more than me... Get him"

The Taoiseachs salary was 285k at the end of 2009 http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/taoiseach-to-take-euro28500-pay-cut-107545.html
    its 200k now. Instead of people honestly evaluating this with a little of sense, something like it was way too high but the fact that it has come down nearly 30% in less than 3 years is positive progress. Lets accept that and try and push for a further reduction, there are people just beating the drum giving out that it isn't as low as it should be (average industrial wage...seriously). Change doesn't happen instantly, anyone calling for instant change is naive.
    Again for anyone who would be interested in a bit of perspective, here is a comparison of world leaders salaries http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/the-taoiseach%E2%80%99s-new-salary-and-how-it-compares-with-overseas-counterparts/. This doesn't include any extras like Camp David or 10 Downing Street and the like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Look at the size of Ireland population 5 million and maybe less now due to emigration compared this to UK or USA, UK is around 70 million and USA around 500 million.

No wonder countries like India and China is doing so well just look at the leaders salaries which is equivalent to the minimum wage in Irealnd therefore why is the Taoiseachs getting so much when there are much larger countries like China and India are getting equivalent to minimum wage, also the Taoiseachs salary is double to what the leader is salary in Spain. Grrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Maura74 wrote: »
    Look at the size of Ireland population 5 million and maybe less now due to emigration compared this to UK or USA, UK is around 70 million and USA around 500 million.

No wonder countries like India and China is doing so well just look at the leaders salaries which is equivalent to the minimum wage in Irealnd therefore why is the Taoiseachs getting so much when there are much larger countries like China and India are getting equivalent to minimum wage, also the Taoiseachs salary is double to what the leader is salary in Spain. Grrrrrrr

Seriously your bringing in China as a comparision of where we want to get to?
    The city of Shenzhen, next to Hong Kong, guarantees the highest minimum wage of 1,320 yuan ($207; £130) a month.

Beijing offers the best hourly rate of 13 yuan ($2).
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15456509

The chinese government are unelected and I doubt there is one of them that could explain how they live their extravagant lifestyle on their official wages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

No wonder countries like India and China is doing so well
    Yeah, good call.
    Which economic strategy should we go for: institutionalized corporate slavery or 3rd world poverty?
    Either would surely be an improvement over this silly first world democratic socialism.

(Yes, sarcasm. No, I'm not explaining to anyone who doesn't understand)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

I have taken the figures quoted in the link provided. If India and china is too sensitive for you then why is the Taoiseachs salary double to what Spain Leader salary and Spain populations is 47 million compared to Ireland 5 million.

Ireland is paying too much to their TD and local officials and that is a fact. Austerity should start from the top and go downwards TD's should lead by example........:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I have taken the figures quoted in the link provided. If India and china is too sensitive for you then why is the Taoiseachs salary double to what Spain Leader salary and Spain populations is 47 million compared to Ireland 5 million.
    Because salary for a particular level of job isn't related to the population of the country, more to do with cost of living.
    Ireland is paying too much to their TD and local officials and that is a fact. Austerity should start from the top and go downwards TD's should lead by example........:(:(
    I agree, its only right and proper that the Taoiseach takes a bigger percentage paycut than lower level staff and also gets hit with the increased taxes.

Apparently Enda agrees with us too. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement