Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - High powered i5 ivybridge PC

Options
  • 13-05-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I think I have finally come to a decision after some great advice on here. My needs have changed somewhat and my budget has gone up as a result...

Needs:
    • Media playback and general PC browsing.
    • DVD encoding and possibly BluRay playback/encoding in the future.
    • Software development, web development etc.
    • Flexible system that can easily to turned into a quality gaming PC in the future by adding a dedication GPU (unlikely, but I would like the option to exist).
    • Good resale value by buying parts that can be overclocked, even though...
    • I will NOT be overclocking this system.
    • No gaming will be done under the current spec.
    • This is my first build, so I am happy to pay a bit extra for some parts which are more aesthetically pleasing (the case mainly) - although performance is still the main requirement. I know there is better value to be had out there and I will definitely be looking for that in future builds. I am just interested in getting the best possible system for now and future upgrade-ability for around the £500 mark...
    Setup:
    • I already have Windows 7 64 bit premium, Dell 2407 monitor, speakers, keyboards etc.
    • I have a 500gb external hard drive which will be used for my music/video library. Windows will be installed on the M4 SSD.
    • I am happy that the onboard Intel HD 4000 graphics on the i5 will be sufficient for the needs I outlined above.

My basket:

2ugmivr.jpg

I will be buying from two places as it stands. Motherboard, CPU and PSU from overclockers and the rest from Amazon. The combination of those two offers decent prices compared to the competition and a few different delivery options which suit me.

Any advice before I head to checkout would be appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

OCUK aren't great value, and buying a build from more than one retailer can be troublesome. I'd almost be certain if you specced the build on hardwareversand.de It'd be much cheaper and easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Eboggles wrote: »
    OCUK aren't great value, and buying a build from more than one retailer can be troublesome. I'd almost be certain if you specced the build on hardwareversand.de It'd be much cheaper and easier.
    I priced around all the majors online and they compare fairly well for the motherboard, CPU and PSU. I have over 100 posts on their forum, so I am hoping to swing either free or discounted delivery to Ireland when I talk to them tomorrow (Its free delivery to mainland UK if you have over 100 posts).

Prices of the others parts are good on Amazon as well, for example the Enforcer case is £60 on there. Always had good experiences buying directly from them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

DRose1 wrote: »
    I priced around all the majors online and they compare fairly well for the motherboard, CPU and PSU. I have over 100 posts on their forum, so I am hoping to swing either free or discounted delivery to Ireland when I talk to them tomorrow (Its free delivery to mainland UK if you have over 100 posts).

Prices of the others parts are good on Amazon as well, for example the Enforcer case is £60 on there. Always had good experiences buying directly from them as well.

Free shipping only applies to UK mainland last time I checked.

luyolo wrote: »
    Free shipping only applies to UK mainland last time I checked.
    Yea I think that is the case, but I emailed them this morning to see if there is any leeway.

Even a discounted rate to Ireland would make it worthwhile buying from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Yea I think that is the case, but I emailed them this morning to see if there is any leeway.

Even a discounted rate to Ireland would make it worthwhile buying from there.

It doesn't really make it that worth while ordering it for there as you are paying a lot more for the components. You would save a lot more ordering from HWVS or even dabs.

As I said before the i5 will make very little difference for what you want with the PC. An i3 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 would easily suit what you are doing. Presuming that you aren't doing massive programming on it. Even with that said I use a P4 in college to compile programs and that works fine.

There isn't much point in buying a overclockable system if you aren't going to be overclocking it. Sure it will help resale value but I doubt it would be much of a benefit since you're spending more on it now.

• Advertisement

It doesn't really make it that worth while ordering it for there as you are paying a lot more for the components. You would save a lot more ordering from HWVS or even dabs.

As I said before the i5 will make very little difference for what you want with the PC. An i3 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 would easily suit what you are doing. Presuming that you aren't doing massive programming on it. Even with that said I use a P4 in college to compile programs and that works fine.

There isn't much point in buying a overclockable system if you aren't going to be overclocking it. Sure it will help resale value but I doubt it would be much of a benefit since you're spending more on it now.
    True, but what if a few months down the line I decide to turn the PC into a gaming system by buying a good dedicated GPU... In that scenario surely having the i5 and overclockable components would be beneficial?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

True, but what if a few months down the line I decide to turn the PC into a gaming system by buying a good dedicated GPU... In that scenario surely having the i5 and overclockable components would be beneficial?

Depends how heavily you'll be gaming and at what resolution. An i3 paired with a 6870 is still good enough and can tackle modern games at 1080p on med-high settings. If you do think that you will be turning it into a gaming machine then it certainly helps having a quad overclockable. I'm just saying that if you don't think you will turn it into a gaming machine, there is little point investing so heavily into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

If you don't want to use HWVS then you should consider Komplett.ie. It's were I got a lot of my components from. They give free delivery and two years warranty plus they're in Dublin and on the boards.ie here if you run into trouble.

Advertisement