Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UV Ink tattoos...

Options
  • 13-05-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

...anyone have any? My cousin has recently opened a tattoo shop and he was telling me about some glow in the dark UV ink he has. I haven't seen any of them yet, but he has a glow in the dark UV tattoo of a light sabre on one of his fingers, which apparently looks really good.

I am getting a new tattoo in the summer, just some Latin text on my arm, but I am considering getting it highlighted with luminous UV ink. Has anyone seen anything like that or have any thoughts on how it might look?

MrP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I haven't heard of glow in the dark ink, UV ink (blacklight) yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

chin_grin wrote: »
    I haven't heard of glow in the dark ink, UV ink (blacklight) yes.
    Actually, you are quite correct, it is UV ink. Thinking about it, glow in the dark would probably be harmful...:eek:

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Daniel4589

I have some purple shading that is purple and visible by day and also glows purple under a UV light, Tried using a bit of yellow UV clear ink on a star I have and it pretty much grew out of the skin with healing, Was cool looking when first put in the skin, Maybe it was cos of being on the hand it didn't work out properly, But there is plenty of google images to show it can work very well, I plan to get more UV ink tattoo's soon, As I've still to test out the blue clear ink I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Apparently at one point they did try making glow in the dark tattoos by taking glow in the dark paint and boiling off some of the solvents:eek:, suffices to say it was not a wise thing to put in your body. Technically they probably could do it the same way they now do UV inks with no fear of health problems but as yet I've not heard of anyone doing so, perhaps due to the greater limitation in terms of pigments when it comes to glow in the dark Vs. UV reactive.

I've 3 text tattoos in white UV ink, the one on my upper arm I can read no problem even without UV light, but other people don't seem to be able to do so, so perhaps the fact that I already know what it says is why I can make out the letters.
    The other two are on my sides and even I can't read them without a UV light as I can't see most of the letters.

Highlighting should be fine as long as the UV ink is around the non-UV and not in the exact same skin, otherwise you'll just need to keep in mind that the other ink may cause the UV ink to be dimmer under UV than it would be in skin that has no other ink. In short the non-UV ink may absorb both some of the incoming UV and the light the UV ink emits in response. If you're ok with that great, hopefully it turns out like you plan, just want to make sure you're aware of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive a UV one aswell.Completely healed its invisible.Under black light it glows.

Its a nightmare to work with as you need to work under the blacklight--not too good for the old eyes after a long session.

I chose a safe ink with safety sheets because as Reku rightly says the first of these inks were boiled down highlighter markers<<<dodgy as anything and highly carcinogenic unlike the safer inks nowadays.

Do your homework before getting one and make sure you check the inks are EU approved.

Moms Nuclear Fallout :D are despite the name probably the safest out there.Cheapo Ebay chinese specials are a big no no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ive a UV one aswell.Completely healed its invisible.Under black light it glows.

Its a nightmare to work with as you need to work under the blacklight--not too good for the old eyes after a long session.

I chose a safe ink with safety sheets because as Reku rightly says the first of these inks were boiled down highlighter markers<<<dodgy as anything and highly carcinogenic unlike the safer inks nowadays.

Do your homework before getting one and make sure you check the inks are EU approved.

Moms Nuclear Fallout :D are despite the name probably the safest out there.Cheapo Ebay chinese specials are a big no no.

Where did you get your's done?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Hellrazer wrote: »

Interesting, when Remi was doing mine the first time I brought a blacklight along (I swear I didn't have one just lying about, sitting in my room... *shifty eyes*:p) but we found it utterly useless as the blood obscured the ink too much. Initially they were concerned that they might need to do the tattoo in the backroom and turn off the light in there, using just the blacklight for illumination, but with this problem it meant he was as well off just doing it out in the main area under normal light.
    Even after the tattoo is finished I found it took a day or two before the blood stopped blocking significant parts of the tattoos under UV.

At least the good news for anyone worried by this is that once the blood has faded even a small UV torch will illuminate the ink adequately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Cheers for the replies!

I will check with my cousin what kind of ink he is using. He is not a complete idiot, so hopefully he is using safe ink.

Hopefully the highlights will work, I don't think it is something be has actually done yet himself...

MrP

Advertisement