Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CU - how long before I can borrow?

Options
  • 13-05-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

how long do i have to b saving in the cu b4 i can get a loan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

how long do i have to b saving in the cu b4 i can get a loan

All depends on ur savings.If ur only there a couple of months they will give u a loan that doesn't exceed ur savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 unfinished monkey business

Hi im just wondering if i have shares of 1500e and get a loan of 4000e,does this mean that the shares are no longer mine,or is it still possible to take the shares out as they are my savings after all..i have just heard somebody say that the shares wouldnt be yours..??

Hi im just wondering if i have shares of 1500e and get a loan of 4000e,does this mean that the shares are no longer mine,or is it still possible to take the shares out as they are my savings after all..i have just heard somebody say that the shares wouldnt be yours..??

You wouldn't be allowed to take ur shares out.They would remain in ur account until ur load is paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I just joined a Credit Union recently.

I was told that you have to be a member for three months before you can apply for a loan, and you also have to have made at least ten payments into your account.

Also, for first time borrowers, your loan cannot exceed your savings. E.g. if you have €500 saved, you can borrow €500, but you have to leave your savings there as collateral. So you wouldn't be able to take out the €500 you had deposited.

With subsequent loans, you'll have built up a credit rating with them, and so will be able to borrow more.

I'm not sure if the policies are specific to each Credit Union, or if they apply across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I am not a member of a credit union but only a bank ... is there an advantage to being with a credit union instead of a bank or is it pretty much the same thing? :confused:

• Advertisement

kingtut wrote: »
    I am not a member of a credit union but only a bank ... is there an advantage to being with a credit union instead of a bank or is it pretty much the same thing? :confused:

As far as I can see, there's no advantage to joining a Credit Union unless your credit rating with the bank is shot, and you need a loan in the not-so-distant future. ;)

Otherwise, you'll get much better interest rates in a bank.

As far as I can see, there's no advantage to joining a Credit Union unless your credit rating with the bank is shot, and you need a loan in the not-so-distant future. ;)

Otherwise, you'll get much better interest rates in a bank.

Cheers :)

Hoping to buy a house in the not too distant future (and I'll need a loan) so I'll stick with the bank in that case, plus I know the bank manager pretty well.

Cheers :)

Hoping to buy a house in the not too distant future (and I'll need a loan) so I'll stick with the bank in that case, plus I know the bank manager pretty well.

Well then you're sorted, right? ;)

Well then you're sorted, right? ;)

I will be when I give him an insentive to give me a huge loan *cough* brown envelope *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

I will be when I give him an insentive to give me a huge loan *cough* brown envelope *cough*

May be a waste of money given that for the most banks nowadays the manager has little say on who gets approved or not.

Strict criteria are applied by head office from what I gather.

• Advertisement

I was told that you have to be a member for three months before you can apply for a loan, and you also have to have made at least ten payments into your account.

Also, for first time borrowers, your loan cannot exceed your savings. E.g. if you have €500 saved, you can borrow €500, but you have to leave your savings there as collateral. So you wouldn't be able to take out the €500 you had deposited.

With subsequent loans, you'll have built up a credit rating with them, and so will be able to borrow more.

I'm not sure if the policies are specific to each Credit Union, or if they apply

across the board.

I've been a member of 3 credit unions and I've heard them all say the same things regarding 1st time borrowers and the 3 month rule.I've had savings of €1000 after 6 weeks and was given a loan of €1000.Once ur not asking for more than ur savings they will give u a loan before the 3 months

Advertisement