Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Options

Options
  • 13-05-2012 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

We are totally new to this and would like some advice. My husband and I would like to emigrate to Oz. I am a Fund Accounting Manager (I have a business studies degree but not an accounting qualification) and my husband is a shuttering carpenter in the concrete business, not a traditional carpenter. He has worked for himself for many years. He would also be an experieced crane driver. Both of us are in the 40-44 age range. I only scored 60 on the points check (you need 65). I chose that I was proficient in English (7 out of 9). I don't know how difficult it is to get an overall 8 in this test? That would give me the points we need. If you don't have the required 65 points what are the options available to us please?

Thanks in advance, Denise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

as far as i know the IELTS english exam is pretty straight forward for someone whose first language is english, so you should achieve maximum points considering that you are fairly well educated aswell:D.

you could also go for state sponsorship which would give you that other 5 points;).

one other thing if you are going to apply make sure you get your application lodged before 1st of july as the rules are changing after that date and it will be that little bit harder to get the visa, at least by lodging early you will be assessed under the older rules. i may be wrong on the date it might be the 31st of july but iam sure one of the other more knowledgeable posters will clarfiy it shortly.

who is going to be the main applicant? your husband will have to get his skills assessed and being a carpenter (same as me) he will be in catagery 3 which means that if he is the main applicant it could take upto 18mths to get the visa. however your qualification might be more sought after and this could place you in catagery 2 which would mean you would have your visa in less than 12mths or if you are really sought after then you could land in cat1 which would mean 3-6mths.just something to keep in mind when filling out the form.

Advertisement