Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Chocolate Biscuit Cake

• 13-05-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi,

Any recommendations for a place to buy one in the dublin area. i have been onto one place and it seems quiet expensive for a 10inch round cake.

Any suggestions (bar baking one myself! :) ) and prices would be great

thanks.
    C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

How much was the one you saw? 10 inch round of CBC is pretty big, using good quality chocolate it would be expensive enough to buy, compared to a 10 inch sponge etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Are you SURE you don't want to make it yourself? It's ridiculously easy and you'll save a fortune. Plus you can choose the chocolate yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

Hey,

thanks for replies

quoted €90 for the cake.. thought it was expensive but appreciate the ingredients can be costly for it..

i have never really baked before so might be a bit risky! esp seen as others have to eat it too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Not a lot of baking in fact more a fridging recipe two of which follw to show how easy it is.

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=chocolate-biscuit-cake

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090212112016AAGztrI

There's no "baking" involved in chocolate biscuit cake :)

Just melting and mixing. Very easy.

Here's an easy enough looking recipe, I have a lovely recipe at home I'll dig out.

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=chocolate-biscuit-cake

• Advertisement

Ok well that was a sugarpaste covered/decorated one was it, not just a slab of CBC undecorated? If decorating time and costly sugarpaste are involved that would explain the price, I assumed you meant just CBC alone.

CBC is called refrigerator cake in the US, there's no baking at all involved.

baking! shows how much i know! :)

from reading around key thing seems to be chocolate and alot of people suggesting lidl choc.. or dont mind spending on better choc

if ye could dig out receipe sure i might give it a shot.. it would mean more aswell!

how long could it sit in fridge for? would it last from wed - sat?

thanks again

It lasts up to about 4 weeks in the fridge, a few days would be grand for it. Aldi and Lidl chocolate is great quality, 50-75% chocolate, usually I do half milk choc half 70% choc. Odlums recipe is good, if you really don't want to make it get a quote from a bakery for an undecorated one, you clearly were quoted for an iced one, a plain CBC would probably be at least half that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

90 euro?? That is pretty expensive, even with decorations. Please, PM me, where did you get that quote? I am just curious...

Possum66 wrote: »
    90 euro?? That is pretty expensive, even with decorations. Please, PM me, where did you get that quote? I am just curious...

That's not expensive for a decorated cake tbh, especially in Dublin, 10 inch CBC would serve about 60-80 portions depending on if it was round or square, would use about 2kgs of sugarpaste to cover it which is about €25 for a 5kg box, a LOT of good quality chocolate, butter is expensive too, €3-4 for a board, an hour to make, 1-3 hours to decorate at €8-10 an hour (ie min. wage, and that's for a simply decorated cake), insurance, ESB, tax, supplies costs, rent...

• Advertisement

Acoshla wrote: »
    That's not expensive for a decorated cake tbh, especially in Dublin, 10 inch CBC would serve about 60-80 portions depending on if it was round or square, would use about 2kgs of sugarpaste to cover it which is about €25 for a 5kg box, a LOT of good quality chocolate, butter is expensive too, €3-4 for a board, an hour to make, 1-3 hours to decorate at €8-10 an hour (ie min. wage, and that's for a simply decorated cake), insurance, ESB, tax, supplies costs, rent...

Hm... you are right, I forgot to consider all these expenses. I sell my stuff at a country market, and we would not dare to charge so much for a cake, even for an elaborately decorated one. No customer of ours would pay this much for a CBC, which they consider to be a "cheap" cake.

But I keep in mind your list the next time I have a private order :-)

Acoshla wrote: »

its 10 inch round, told i would probably get 35-40 pieces..
    there is a 8inch option too, but would that look to small to put candles on for a birthday?

8 inch is a pretty standard cake size really, people eat less CBC than baked cake because it's so dense so you get more portions out of it, it's cut in small slices like wedding cake rather than wedges like dessert cake so it goes further.

Depends on how many candles :-) I am sure you can come up with a nice way to put on the candles so they don't look crowded...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 grainneh

Hi there

I recently got a fab one from Morning Fresh Bakery in Baldoyle Industrial Estate, can honestly say it was the best one I ever tasted. Came covered in a gorgeous chocolate ganache with iced message on top. 28 quid, think it was 8 inch, got at about 20 generous portions, would imagine you'd get another few out of it if needs be. Not the cheapest cake you can buy, but goes a long way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

How can thetipperarykitchen justify nearly 5.00 Euro in shop for a slice of chocolate biscuit cake? Crazy! Rip-off Ireland is alive and well. It is by far cheaper to make your own home-made full sized biscuit cake with quality ingredients instead of paying out that price per slice.

I mean you can buy Boland's and Jacob's biscuits digestive and Rich Tea for a euro a pack in most shops, to start with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This thread is quite old, so I'm going to lock it. Please start new threads instead of bumping dead ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement