Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Wifi Hub

Options
  • 14-05-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

Has or does anyone use these?

I have registered for them with my Eircom account number but cannot connect to them. Is there a different log in for every single hot spot or am I doing something wrong with my log in details?

Thanks for any information

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to eircom forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I put it in the other section as I thought id get a faster/better response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

jeffk wrote: »
    Has or does anyone use these?

I have registered for them with my Eircom account number but cannot connect to them. Is there a different log in for every single hot spot or am I doing something wrong with my log in details?

Thanks for any information

Hi jeffk,

Once registered for WifiHub you should have been sent a username and password by email. Once you have this it should be a case of simply selecting the Hotspot you want to connect to and enter the details. Some common problems experienced are:
    • Incorrect username or password
    • Browser proxy-settings not disabled
    • Account has expired
    I think we can rule out number 3 on that list, so check the settings and login info again just to be sure. You can also view the help and FAQ section here. If you don't find anything to help you there you can call support on 1890 260 260 and they can help you with the browser settings. I would also recommend doing a password reset to rule out any mis-type in the details. Let me know how it goes for you.

Regards

James

Hello James,

Thanks for a clear and detailed response.

I changed the original password issued as it was case sensitive and would be messy on to enter on the phone.

When I find a spot and then enter my login details, after a while it comes up a network error. The last one I tried was last night in the Blanchardstown town shopping centre down at the UCI and got that network error

I have used a Starbucks Wi-Fi point without hassle, so I’m guessing there isn’t an issue with the phone settings. Would some hotspots have an independent password or block more than one connection?

Hello James,

Thanks for a clear and detailed response.

I changed the original password issued as it was case sensitive and would be messy on to enter on the phone.

When I find a spot and then enter my login details, after a while it comes up a network error. The last one I tried was last night in the Blanchardstown town shopping centre down at the UCI and got that network error

I have used a Starbucks Wi-Fi point without hassle, so I’m guessing there isn’t an issue with the phone settings. Would some hotspots have an independent password or block more than one connection?

No problem jeffk,

Since you have now ruled out the password/username as the issue this points to the browser settings. To answer your question regarding different hotspots using different passwords, this should not be the case. The service is linked to your own unique username and password. I'm not sure what type of Wifi service Starbucks have but this again proves that your own wireless function is working.

The next thing I would ask is what are you using to connect (laptop/Smartphone/iPad/etc). The method of changing the browser proxy settings would differ depending on the hardware/software you use. There is both an Android and Mac app. that would obviously be better if using one of these type devices specifically. There is also a contact email address for WifiHub support at wireless.broadband@eircom.net.

It is possible that the registration has a problem somewhere but try the proxy settings first before sending the email. Again, tech support will assist you with that side of things on 1890 260 260. As WifiHub has it's own dedicated section it would be best to contact them yourself directly. If you want to detail what you use to connect I can see if there's any internal info that may help also.

Thanks again

James

• Advertisement

I am using a Nokia e5 to connect, so unfortunately there is no app option
    • I do a search for Wlan via the phone
    • Eircom comes up in the list as open as there is no lock symbol
    • I try to connect and it opens a web page in the Nokia browser pointing to the Wi-Fi hub login
    • I enter my log in details, including – between the area code and the house number and press log in
    • After a minute or so, it comes up a network error and the page is unavailable
    • I am connected to a Wi-Fi signal but cannot use it properly.

If you have any further help that would be great. If needs be I can email them also, it is not a major issue, but would be great to have an option for a fast connection in so many places if needed.

I am using a Nokia e5 to connect, so unfortunately there is no app option
    • I do a search for Wlan via the phone
    • Eircom comes up in the list as open as there is no lock symbol
    • I try to connect and it opens a web page in the Nokia browser pointing to the Wi-Fi hub login
    • I enter my log in details, including – between the area code and the house number and press log in
    • After a minute or so, it comes up a network error and the page is unavailable
    • I am connected to a Wi-Fi signal but cannot use it properly.

If you have any further help that would be great. If needs be I can email them also, it is not a major issue, but would be great to have an option for a fast connection in so many places if needed.

Hi,

Checked with our tech team and apparently the phone may be the issue. Our apps for the Mac and Android phones doesn't yet extend to other mobile phones as yet. You will be able to use this on a laptop/iPad or a phone that uses the platforms above. Apologies I can't deliver better news right now, but if we get any updates regarding new apps or a different method of connecting I'll post it here for you.

Cheers

James

Not the news I wanted to hear, that’s you and three that only offer free Wi-Fi to the big two phone makers.

Well at least I know now, thanks for all the replies and clear information, I can stop trying to connect to Eircom Wi fi hubs now

Advertisement