Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copilot GPS Free

• 14-05-2012 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭

Hi

I see there's a new Aps of Copilot Gps that's free, with it you also get 1 free map, in our case you can select Ireland + uk but you can get other regions or full Europe for €29.99. Also looks like you need to pay for spoken directions, so other gps apps could be cheaper if u like a the add-ons

I only downloaded now so not sure how good or bad is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Downloading :) I now have Waze, Navfree and this (I'm such a GPS freak).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

tomtom may cost money, but it is by far the best

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

kjl wrote: »

+1 . The best by a long shot and I've tested most of them . Plus there are a few free apps to add fav's and pois to TT also .

But hey ! Free is free . Thanks OP .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

My feedback on the Free Copilot version.

I could do the route and start driving, the arrow will move as I drive but the screen will still displaying the initial screen, I needed to click on arrows on screen to see where I was, also if I drive away from initial route it did not change the route to use new road, button left of screen is suppose to show you the next step on your route, turn, cross, etc but in my case also stays with the initial icon.

Not sure if it's something wrong with my app or maybe I need to buy the rest of packages to get the above to work. SO as I said on my initial post, if you need to get the add-ons other apps could be better option.

Anyone else got a chance to test it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Downloaded it, whenever i try and download maps i get the following error:-

"No internet connection detected, Error 808 "

- WIFI is working on the phone.
    - Same issue with 3G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://forum.copilotlive.com/copilotlive/topics/error_808

Try rebooting phone and then try maps again.

biko wrote: »
    http://forum.copilotlive.com/copilotlive/topics/error_808

Try rebooting phone and then try maps again.

Aye, tried it already.

Cheers for the help though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

nava wrote: »
    My feedback on the Free Copilot version.

I could do the route and start driving, the arrow will move as I drive but the screen will still displaying the initial screen, I needed to click on arrows on screen to see where I was, also if I drive away from initial route it did not change the route to use new road, button left of screen is suppose to show you the next step on your route, turn, cross, etc but in my case also stays with the initial icon.

Not sure if it's something wrong with my app or maybe I need to buy the rest of packages to get the above to work. SO as I said on my initial post, if you need to get the add-ons other apps could be better option.

Anyone else got a chance to test it?

I tried it myself yesterday and had the same issue but when I clicked on the arrow in the circle at the top right of screen it followed me exactly as it should.

b6c6f7cf.jpg

Couple of issues I had are that it didnt recalculate automatically, I had to press the button at top of screen, and also there were no voice prompts for directions.

I presume both of these features are included in the €20 upgrade for full turn by turn navigation.

Would prefer NavFree when it comes to the free choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

kjl wrote: »

Prefer Navigon meself. Much slicker IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I use Waze, not only is it free but the live traffic updates based on other user's driving is what clinches it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

sorry to slightly hijack, but can anyone recommend a good free walking map app for european cities? heading to amsterdam next month and want a map to store on the phone so's i'm not using data.

sorry to slightly hijack, but can anyone recommend a good free walking map app for european cities? heading to amsterdam next month and want a map to store on the phone so's i'm not using data.

Copilot should do the job for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Copilot should do the job for you.

But the dutch map ain't free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Offmaps2. You get a free map to start off with (maybe more, I can't remember) and then you pay for additional maps or download as many as you like for a fixed price (about a fiver IIRC). Once a map is downloaded it works just like the official Maps app, but doesn't use any data. It's a real Godsend abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

nava wrote: »
    Hi

I see there's a new Aps of Copilot Gps that's free, with it you also get 1 free map, in our case you can select Ireland + uk but you can get other regions or full Europe for €29.99. Also looks like you need to pay for spoken directions, so other gps apps could be cheaper if u like a the add-ons

I only downloaded now so not sure how good or bad is.
    I downloaded GPS SATNAV for 1.99 euros. Then buy the Irish map for 2.99 euros. It German app & I think its very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

wasper wrote: »
    I downloaded GPS SATNAV for 1.99 euros. Then buy the Irish map for 2.99 euros. It German app & I think its very good.

Are you using data with that app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

dodzy wrote: »
    Prefer Navigon meself. Much slicker IMO.

+2 - find Navigon fantastic

johnayo wrote: »
    Are you using data with that app?
    I don't understand the question. what data are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

wasper wrote: »
    I don't understand the question. what data are you talking about?

The question is valid. Navigon, tomtom and some other satnav packs are self sufficient. i.e. They do not need any Internet / data connection to function = no extortionate roaming charges when abroad*

If you chose to use google maps for example, or other apps out there which download maps on the fly, then you could face a hefty bill when you get back.

*only using abroad as an example. Same applies to your home country.

dodzy wrote: »
    The question is valid. Navigon, tomtom and some other satnav packs are self sufficient. i.e. They do not need any Internet / data connection to function = no extortionate roaming charges when abroad*

If you chose to use google maps for example, or other apps out there which download maps on the fly, then you could face a hefty bill when you get back.

*only using abroad as an example. Same applies to your home country.
    Thanks for the clarification, I got it now. Yes you will need data by the 3G or the 4G. But I am going to NZ in Xmas & the vodafone guy said that when you arrive there, buy the local mobile broadband. It will be much cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement