Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MOTD Goal Of The Season

• 14-05-2012 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Cisse. Wonderful goal, of the ones nominated though I'd have picked Crouch.

I do think that the system of having one goal for every month though is a poor idea though. The likes of Ruiz's goal should not be up for contention while the likes of Suarez's v Norwich (which would be a top 3 for me with Cisse and Crouch) are not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CSF wrote: »
    Congrats to Cisse. Wonderful goal, of the ones nominated though I'd have picked Crouch.

I do think that the system of having one goal for every month though is a poor idea though. The likes of Ruiz's goal should not be up for contention while the likes of Suarez's v Norwich (which would be a top 3 for me with Cisse and Crouch) are not.

I'd have picked Crouch too as goal of the season. Disagree with you about Ruiz's though, it was class, don't see too many chip's like that so close in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Still love Van Persie's strike vs Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would go with Cisse myself but Crouch wouldn't be far behind.

What was the dramatic music they used for the season wrap-up at the end? Went well with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Which one of Cisse's got it, the second against Chelsea I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

A lot of them seemed to be past Everton?

I'd have given it to Crouch tho. Great goal against the toughest of defenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

anyone else notice the number of goal of the season contenders scored versus Everton? Or was I imagining things? :pac:

edit: damn you kita!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Corholio wrote: »
    I'd have picked Crouch too as goal of the season. Disagree with you about Ruiz's though, it was class, don't see too many chip's like that so close in.

Grand enough, we're all going to have different kinds of goals we prefer more than others. I'm not having a go at the choice of it though as much as how they were picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I would go with Cisse myself but Crouch wouldn't be far behind.

What was the dramatic music they used for the season wrap-up at the end? Went well with it.

Not sure if it was something out of the Dark Knight, something like this I think?

Don't think that's it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

CSF wrote: »

If a goal isn't even the best goal that month, how do you expect it to be goal of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭CSF

darragh16 wrote: »
    Which one of Cisse's got it, the second against Chelsea I presume?

Yup, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Suarez lob against Norwich was my pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Samich wrote: »
    Not sure if it was something out of the Dark Knight, something like this I think?

Don't think that's it though.

Can't remember the track but it was from Inception if that's any help for you.

Was this it? Can't even remember now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Coates vs QPR, anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Samich wrote: »
    Was this it? Can't even remember now :pac:

Ah yeah that's the one. Thought it was The Dark Knight myself.

It went well with the wrap-up. I always like the highlight vids that BBC and Sky do at the end of the season.

Coates vs QPR, anyone?

Wasn't better than the top 3 imo

I find goals that go into the top corner without hitting posts look better than other ones :P

Ah yeah that's the one. Thought it was The Dark Knight myself.

It went well with the wrap-up. I always like the highlight vids that BBC and Sky do at the end of the season.

Yeah they did a savage one for the end of the season for the 2010 season in F1. Can't actually believe this was a year and a half ago :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If a goal isn't even the best goal that month, how do you expect it to be goal of the season?

But is it right that the second best goal of the season potentially doesn't make the shortlist if it happens to be scored in the same month as the best?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

anyone else notice the number of goal of the season contenders scored versus Everton? Or was I imagining things? :pac:

edit: damn you kita!

sensational.....Vs Everton.

............repeat x times

Which ones were against Everton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Cisse's first against Chelsea was a great goal. Takes it on the right, flicks it up and hits it across the far side of the goal. His second one was brilliant, preferred the first one though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

darragh16 wrote: »
    Cisse's first against Chelsea was a great goal. Takes it on the right, flicks it up and hits it across the far side of the goal. His second one was brilliant, preferred the first one though!!

His second goal that day (Imo) was a far better goal and well deserved of Goal of the season and probably of most other seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

But is it right that the second best goal of the season potentially doesn't make the shortlist if it happens to be scored in the same month as the best?

If it didn't get goal of the month then it's hardly going to get goal of the season in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Coates vs QPR, anyone?

Robbed.

Didn't realise that was their system, yes it is stupid. A couple of the goals looked like speculative crosses that found the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Cisse deserved winner, I've never seen a goal like it. Steve Claridge's reaction sums it up, a ridiculous, shocking strike.

I'd put Crouch 2nd and Suarez 3rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Cisse's deserved best.

Crouch, Suarez, Cisse vs Swansea, Coates, RVP vs Everton,Raylor, Campbell and the Ruiz goal that didn't get picked should have all been up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Am I still the only one who thinks the Cisse goal was fluke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Would have went for Ben Arfa's goal. I much prefer solo goals rather than a great strike.

Take Crouch's goal for example. Great goal, but a lad who has been around as long as Crouch was due a goal like that if he swings his leg at a ball enough. HBA ran over 70 yards solo, beat 3/4 players and cooly slotted past the keeper at pace too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

kitakyushu wrote: »

I'd have given it to Crouch tho. Great goal against the toughest of defenses.

Does the defence it was against make any difference when it was a one in a million strike from outside the box?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Am I still the only one who thinks the Cisse goal was fluke?

Yes,I think you might be. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Would have went for Ben Arfa's goal. I much prefer solo goals rather than a great strike.

Take Crouch's goal for example. Great goal, but a lad who has been around as long as Crouch was due a goal like that if he swings his leg at a ball enough. HBA ran over 70 yards solo, beat 3/4 players and cooly slotted past the keeper at pace too.
    If by "beat 3-4 players" you mean Bolton lads running anywhere except at HBA.

It was a good goal, but he literally just put the head down and went straight.

If anything it highlights why Bolton were relegated :P

Suarez vs Norwich, Cisse vs Chelsea, Crouch then Coates vs QPR, were better IMO!

You could find faults with any of the goals i'd put before it as well I suppose.

Suarez, the GK was too far off his line.
    Cissé didn't look like he really meant it. (The form he was in though, its a strong possibility that he did)
    The Crouch and Coates ones are almost flawless though. Great strikes by two big men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes,I think you might be. :)

Still great goal just have my doubts a player can be that good to get that typr curve and beat keeper like that.

But still beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

DDC1990 wrote: »
    If by "beat 3-4 players" you mean Bolton lads running anywhere except at HBA.

It was a good goal, but he literally just put the head down and went straight.

If anything it highlights why Bolton were relegated :P

Suarez vs Norwich, Cisse vs Chelsea, Crouch then Coates vs QPR, were better IMO!

You could find faults with any of the goals i'd put before it as well I suppose.

Suarez, the GK was too far off his line.
    Cissé didn't look like he really meant it. (The form he was in though, its a strong possibility that he did)
    The Crouch and Coates ones are almost flawless though. Great strikes by two big men.
    To be fair there was more than that to it. He nutmugged a Bolton player with backheel in his own half to start the run. Admittedly the Bolton defense was poor but he had a nice little dink on the ball right as he was entering the box to take it away from the defenders. A great goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

NufcNavan wrote: »

Yeah I agree, ben arfa's goal was the best, took more skill than just swinging a leg at the ball and hoping for the best :D

His goal against blackburn in the fa cup was just as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I couldnt believe Coates or Suarez were not in the top ten. All great goals but Coates was unreal for a centre-back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Cisse's goal deserved it imo and I think his other goal in that match was the second best of the season. In fact that first goal leaves you with no doubt that he meant the second one so there is nothing flukey about it. He scored another wonderful goal too against Swansea where he chipped the keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Can't argue with their choice.
    To say it was a fluke is awfully discrediting.
    It was a shot on goal,no deflection and keeper couldn't do anything about it.
    Wonderful strike and wipes the floor with everything else bar Crouch's goal which is a close 2nd.
    I'd probably put Cissés goal above^^^ or Brian Ruiz in 3rd.Both significantly more difficult finishes than Suarez goal against Norwich which I'd put in 5th.

Advertisement