Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ruud to announce retirement Monday.

• 14-05-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭

According to some Dutch news outlets, Ruud van Nistelrooy will be announcing his retirement from football tomorrow, aged 36.

Story

He's one of my favourite players ever. Loved watching him at United, then Madrid, and when he signed for my team it was a dream come true. I wish him well in the future. I met him once and he was very nice to me and the other fans who bumped into him on his way to training, signed all our autographs and took pictures. I'm not sure if he will be still involved in the game but I would hope so!

This is one of my favourite moments as a football fan. Off the bench for his debut and 11 minutes later he scored 2 goals in 90 seconds to give us a 3-1 win.

Goodbye, Ruud! Enjoy your retirement.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

150 goals in 219 apps for United says it all about him, a great finisher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Absolute goal machine. Think not one of his Man Utd goals were from outside the box. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

One of the best strikers of his generation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Loved him at United, great poacher, think he scored 30+ from in front of the 6 yard box!

What a class act aswell, hope he goes into punditry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Glad the OP included some videos.
    It'd be Ruud not to.. :o

*gets coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

When he scored than penalty against Arsenal, the sound of him screaming in celebration...Love It!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

What a legend.

Enjoy your retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Samich wrote: »
    Absolute goal machine. Think not one of his Man Utd goals were from outside the box. Correct me if I'm wrong.

He scored one where he got the ball inside his own half and took off up the pitch, think he buried it from about 20yards or so. Was it against Arsenal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

killwill wrote: »

He scored one where he got the ball inside his own half and took off up the pitch, think he buried it from about 20yards or so. Was it against Arsenal?
    Fulham?

Inside box though but savage dribble, elbowed someone slightly aswell iirc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I only remember one Ruud goal from outside the box, against Charlton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Fulham?

Inside box though but savage dribble, elbowed someone slightly aswell iirc!

Vaguely remember the elbow!!! Off to Youtube it now!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Great player and finisher. He used to be a joy to watch, I don't think he missed too many opportunities in front of goal for United. Probably the best striker of his generation IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

cournioni wrote: »
    Great player and finisher. He used to be a joy to watch, I don't think he missed too many opportunities in front of goal for United. Probably the best striker of his generation IMO.

himself brazilian ronaldo and batistuta, best finishers ive ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Loved the "Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddd" chant when he scored the goal. Superb finisher and one of the best striker of last decade. We were robbed by Madrid when we sold him for just over 10 Million.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Here's the Fulham goal, I remember it well, class goal

This is my favourite Van Nistelrooy moment :D

But no in all seriousness, one of the best finishers of this generation, a fantastic player. It would be a real close toss up between him, Bergkamp and Shearer to partner Henry in a Premier League era dream team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I remember that penalty against arsenal! Jesus what tossers! Ruud was a hero even if you didnt support any of his teams, its got to be said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ruud van Nistelrooy has announced his decision to hang up his boots this summer after opting not to renew his contract with Malaga.

Legend of a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It was a sad day when he left Utd. I know there was the argument that he didnt suit the Utd style of play when he left and there were issues between himself and Ronaldo but still one of my favourite Utd players of all time.

An absolute goal machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

adox wrote: »
    It was a sad day when he left Utd. I know there was the argument that he didnt suit the Utd style of play when he left and there were issues between himself and Ronaldo but still one of my favourite Utd players of all time.

Yeh remember that.

He was very frustrated with the service he was getting from Ronaldo, as he depended a lot on good service. I don't blame him, Ronaldo wasn't great in his early years at Old Trafford, could dribble past people and had buckets of pace, but couldn't cross to save his life and was trying all sorts of tricks and stepovers and half the time wouldn't come off, and the rest of the time he'd try for a spectacular goal which 9 times out of 10 would balloon into the crowd. Thankfully he matured at Old Trafford, probably due to Fergie's influence and hair dryer treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Still find that the fact that him and Kluivert are the exact same age is one of the craziest facts ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

True United Legend. Thanks for the memories Ruud, enjoy reitrement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Couldn't stand him as a player but his goalscoring record can't be denied! All the best for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Is becoming a full time presenter on RTE News.

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    Is becoming a full time presenter on RTE News.

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Cracking finisher and owes alot to Beckham,Beckham made more goals for him in his time at Utd.......

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Source?

scaled.php?server=845&filename=73085138258162893400138.jpg&res=landing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

MrStuffins wrote: »
    scaled.php?server=845&filename=73085138258162893400138.jpg&res=landing

"My career went downhill once I left Manchester United but once I signed for RTE news, it was a definite step in the right direction!" :D

Well nice to see a footballer with a ready made career to walk into anyways, even if it will be a big drop in salary. So many of them end up on the scrapheap.

Big difference in climate between Malaga and Montrose too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

He did eventually get one from outsode the box, against Charlton. Think it was about his hundredth United goal though.

Great great finisher, as good as there was in the Premier League era. In the top 6 alongside Henry, Shearer, Bergkamp, Rooney and Fowler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Scored 1 from outside the box with Hamburg. 35 yard freekick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cE8vgpF7HSI#t=161s

That makes 2 goals from outside the box in his career!

Yeh that's why he left United, Ronaldo wasn't setting up enough tap ins for him.

Beckham was a big help.

Great striker not in the same league as fat Ronaldo or even thin Ronaldo though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Loved the guy
    Loved his song!

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Great striker not in the same league as fat Ronaldo

True. Although how many are?
    or even thin Ronaldo though.

Completely different kind of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

adox wrote: »

The issue between him and Ronaldo was unfortunate as keeping RVN would have been even more devastation with Rooney and Ronaldo in the team as him. Saha had a huge influence the season after Ruud left but was a level below Ruud, without any personal issues him and Ronaldo could have worked together for at least 3 or 4 years imo and made United an unstoppable beast (even more so than they turned out to be) because even when Tevez was there a lot of chances that went amiss and the team was missing a target man of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Legend!!!!!

Ruuddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!

Advertisement