Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First centerfire rifle.

Options
  • 14-05-2012 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Looking into getting my first centerfire in the upcoming months..

Always assumed that after 223 if you wanted 22-250/243 and upwards you needed deer permits/be in a range yet my local RFD informed me if I wrote a letter to my super along with my application the 243 wouldn't be used for deer merely vermin it would be approved not a bother.

Anyone ever heard of this?. I wouldn't dare question the RFD he's one of the best and highly respected in the country..

It being my 3rd I would much prefer to pick up something that would be legal to shoot deer in the coming years once I get set up. being realistic im putting by 2-4k for the set up so being my final cabinet choice a Deer calibre is the kitty IMO.

Many lads using the 243 for foxing?.

'hdz

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

He might be right, or he may be wrong. Thing to remember here is he is an RFD and NOT the Super. Meaning his thoughts are his own, and free to share, but the decision lies with the Super.

With all applications for a firearm you need to show one thing above all else. Good reason. It's a term i hate, and a "loophole" i dislike, but it's what we have. There are only two reasons for having a "high" powered rifle. Deer stalking or target work. So as it stands, and rom hundreds of threads here over the last 3 years, no-one seems to be getting a license for a firearm without a valid good reason.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but the cases of lads getting whatever they want for any reason they want are few and far between. I mean if your RFD were right then you could apply for a .308 for shooting rabbits. Also i would consider the use for the rifle. I mean do you need a .308 or .270 for foxes? If you want to shoot deer then get a deer legal gun, and the necessary licenses from the NPWS, and the whole matter becomes moot. You now have valid reason for wanting/needing that caliber.

Don't forget that while your deer legal caliber is primarily for deer it can be used for other purposes, such as vermin control/foxing, so it covers both needs.

As for budget. Well €2,000 will give you a serious choice in calibers, and makes. If you increase to the €4,000 mark you mention you could literally build a rifle to your own desires. Stock, action, barrel, caliber, scope, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Ezridax wrote: »
    He might be right, or he may be wrong. Thing to remember here is he is an RFD and NOT the Super. Meaning his thoughts are his own, and free to share, but the decision lies with the Super.

With all applications for a firearm you need to show one thing above all else. Good reason. It's a term i hate, and a "loophole" i dislike, but it's what we have. There are only two reasons for having a "high" powered rifle. Deer stalking or target work. So as it stands, and rom hundreds of threads here over the last 3 years, no-one seems to be getting a license for a firearm without a valid good reason.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but the cases of lads getting whatever they want for any reason they want are few and far between. I mean if your RFD were right then you could apply for a .308 for shooting rabbits. Also i would consider the use for the rifle. I mean do you need a .308 or .270 for foxes? If you want to shoot deer then get a deer legal gun, and the necessary licenses from the NPWS, and the whole matter becomes moot. You now have valid reason for wanting/needing that caliber.

Don't forget that while your deer legal caliber is primarily for deer it can be used for other purposes, such as vermin control/foxing, so it covers both needs.

As for budget. Well €2,000 will give you a serious choice in calibers, and makes. If you increase to the €4,000 mark you mention you could literally build a rifle to your own desires. Stock, action, barrel, caliber, scope, etc.

Cheers for the informative reply ez as always.

So say I go down the route of getting the Deer permits/folio numbers..

Not too hard with a few good friends who would gladly help me out..

The permit expires after the year..

Whats the legal standing there?. I mean I want to go for deer just dont have the set up for one currently..

'hdz

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You have four real options when applying for this rifle.
    • You try it as the RFD says, and just lash it off with a letter saying you want a "high powered" rifle for vermin control. Then see how it goes.
    • You apply to the NPWS for a deer license, and use deer stalking as your good reason for wanting the rifle.
    • You join a range, and this will cover you for any rifle of any caliber (depending on range of course).
    • Lastly you go talk to your FO (firearms officer). You explain to him/her that you would like to go for a rifle that is suitable for both deer, and vermin during the off season. Ask what the Super requires in the line of good reason. IOW does he ask for the deer license, range membership or does he really not care, and any reason is good enough. This will answer it better than anyone, myself included, could be guessing as to the Super's thought process.

If you go the deer license route your license lasts from 1st Spet. each year to 31st August the following year. Deer can only be shot during the designated season meaning you can use the off season for vermin control. Of course you can always do vermin control during the season that's your choice.

Because you have the deer license does not mean you must shoot a minimum amount of deer. So if you apply for the license, get the rifle, but cannot shoot until half way into the season then that's fine. It's your choice as to how often, and how many you shoot. The important thing here is if target shooting is not your bag, then the only other good reason i know off to get a deer legal caliber is deer shooting which requires the license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

The rfd is prob wrong and right, most dealers sell guns to people from all over the country so maybe a few people managed to get 243's licensed for vermin but thats no guarantee that you will, i know i couldn't as i was in my local station two weeks ago asking as i sold my 223 sako and wanted to buy a cheaper rifle just to keep my license, he told me the biggest i could get was a .22-250, so after visiting 4-5 dealers looking for a 22-250 i ended up buying a .204, i was very tempted to get a .22-250 as a vermin gun, then down the road apply for my deer license and once i got that i would have upgraded my rifle for a better dual calibre like a 243 or 25-06, but i couldn't find a nice 22-250 so went for a 204 for the foxes, chat to your local super and find out for definate what you can get licensed for vermin, if he will let you get a 243 you will have plenty of choice to spend your 2-4k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

ormondprop wrote: »
    ......, i was very tempted to get a .22-250 as a vermin gun, then down the road apply for my dve
    er license and once i got that i would have upgraded my rifle for a better dual calibre like a 243 or 25-06, but i couldn't find a nice 22-250 so went for a 204 for the foxes, chat to your local super and find out for definate what you can get licensed for vermin, if he will let you get a 243 you will have plenty of choice to spend your 2-4k

I was thinking the very same thing as above - pick up a 22-250 for foxing and occasional deer stalking..... I was angling down the 'its just a 22' route with the FO. Any how, I was quite rightly persuaded to think about a .243 which after research did so.

First I went to my local FO and asked him if I could get the .243 as I wanted to start some vermin control and may next year go for deer, answer: no problem and did I want to sub one of my 22's or go for a new one. Happy days.

Kept my 22's, traded the misses one and 1 month later took my new .243 home.

Moral- any things possible if you ask first. But my advice is start with the fox route first and hold the deer stalking as a back up. As it was said try to have the licence based foxing etc just in case the deer stalking may be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I know someone obut 15km away from your new place with a 22-250 for fox i'll ask him where his district station is i would imagine it's the same.

Advertisement