Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constructing guineapig hutch and run?

• 14-05-2012 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have two female guineapigs, at the mo they are in a wooden box inside the house and are brought to a secure, make shift run during the day.

We had gp's years ago and they had a home built quarters and run which worked very well.

Now I have pigs again I need to make something for them or draw up something and get a carpenter to do it.

I have learnt a few lessons from the first time round but I am not sure how to get my self going?

I don't know basic carpenter terminology.

I used chicken wire for the sides/roof of the run last time but I need something stronger this time. We have much stronger rigid chicken wire with much smaller holes but I don't know the name of this stuff?

I have a wooden box that can serve as the quarters which will be raised an inch or two off the ground to avoid the damp. I don't think we have the old lid anymore which would have worked well as it was wood with copper I think and tar on top.

Any comments please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

its actually easy enough to do this...as you said draw up a plan...use your mesh that you have (make sure its strong enough that they cant chew through it or squeeze out) half inch ply wood will do for the floor and roof...and get a length of 2x2 timber for the "walls", if you have any building works goin on around you go and ask the builders for any spare felt(for the roof) and any spare timber..

Advertisement