Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yeah head pace was 10-14 mins

You are doing 2*20!!

Another way of doing the 20 mins

2 min easy, 2 build, 2 build again, 2 hard, 2 v hard, repeat
    4 min rest
    Repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Ok didn't do them totally flat out.. just followed the instructions on tv screen....blame the sufferlandrians I suppose :-)
    That looks like a good session though.. must try it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hell Hath no Fury is a tough one alright, i have done it a few times. I find the 2x20 a really good work out. What make is the turbo?

Hell Hath no Fury is a tough one alright, i have done it a few times. I find the 2x20 a really good work out. What make is the turbo?

Hi JB, Its an Elite Volare Mag force, cheap introduction turbo but does the job, got it here... reduced from 210 to 135

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=89087

8/2/2013
    Nice 70k cycle this morn just to check out the bike before the 100k cycle (race) on sunday, nice conditions, sun shining for most of it, struggled a little for first hour but sailed through next 80mins, (legs got their second wind I think) anyway it was low enough intensity, prob 6.5 or 7/10, tried keeping cadence high in a light gear...

session 70k bike 2hrs18mins 30.5kph

will post link later..sportstracker seems to be down atm

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/fbvsa8493m138uvb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hi JB, Its an Elite Volare Mag force, cheap introduction turbo but does the job, got it here... reduced from 210 to 135

Think thats the one I bought my auld fella for Christmas :). Nothing wrong with Elite turbos, I use one myself.

BTH wrote: »
    Think thats the one I bought my auld fella for Christmas :). Nothing wrong with Elite turbos, I use one myself.

Hey... you callin me an Auld Fella!!!:D;)

The reason i ask whilst not ideal that turbo should work on virtual power on trainer road. As long as you keep things calibrated the same after each ride it should be consistent enough and help you be a bit more specific in dialing in the effort on turbo sessions and establishing FTP etc. Thats of course if you want to go down that road!!
    Link here for compatible turbo trainers
    http://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

The reason i ask whilst not ideal that turbo should work on virtual power on trainer road. As long as you keep things calibrated the same after each ride it should be consistent enough and help you be a bit more specific in dialing in the effort on turbo sessions and establishing FTP etc. Thats of course if you want to go down that road!!
    Link here for compatible turbo trainers
    http://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power

You'll have to forgive me, I'm not the most clued in guy when it comes to these things (and apologies for hijacking the thread Trig), but my turbo is on that list (number 116). And I have the garmin ANT+ speed and cadence sensor on the bike thats currently fixed to the turbo. What do I need to do (baby step by baby step here :o ) for it to create some form of a power reading for my training? Initially I would have no interest in wasting an hour doing an FTP until I know its going to produce a number/numbers that are in any way consistent and usable. I understand I need to subscribe @ $10 a month, but can I then just use my laptop to display a power number rather than follow their plans? And how does this info get to the computer in real time.

As I said, a noob when it comes to these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

began my first...hell hath no fury (thanks catweazle)

Did you delete it ya fecker - no sign of it anymore. Good to see you got it downloaded at least - no problem to me as I have it anyways on the drive.

Plus side this leaves the way clear for Bennymul to upload the Hard Road ;)

• Advertisement

10/2/2013
    Well today was the 100km cycle...didn't really know what to expect as we were told its a controlled cycle.... met with the bro at 10am in killaloe and headed up to planet tri... start was supposedto be at 11am so just hung around shop for awhile, at 11am the honda50 race was called, we eventually got underway at 11.30.. huge turnout also.. there was easily 200-250 cyclists and some fab bikes on display.. we set off and for the first 2hours it was pretty boring... big peleton going between 23-28kph... made a few nature stops and was still easy enough to catch back up...myself and the bro were joking about heading off on our own.... at around 55k pace started hotting up so we decided to do 1 more nature stop, bro wanted to take off a jacket and tuck it away so we were stopped for around 2mins in total....pushed hard for the next 10k to get back with main peleton, passing out loads of dropped riders on the way, eventually got back in touch with peleton which was probably down to 50 riders now.. all cycling clubs.. pace was increasing still and Ilost contact going over next hill, the 10k trying to catch up killed me. Lost the bro also, wasn't sure whether he was behind me or ahead of me, I reckoned there was probably around 30k left, got over the hill and was only 100m or so down on the front group so really gave it my all to try catch them, 3 more guys joined me in a mini group and we worked together to try get in contact again, one of the 3 being the bro. After 1 or 2 of the stints of swapping the lead and pushing hard I noticed we were down to 3 the bro had dropped off the back, we were still going hard and passing the odd dropped person but the lead group were gone now, got into killaloe sooner than IHad expected, pushed for the line but tank was empty, I reckon there was probably around 30 at the finish ahead of me, 3 of us were the next in after the leading group of around 30 cyclists, probably a minute or 2 down, the bro came in probably another minute down on us.... turns out it was 90k instead of 100k. Averaged 30.3kph for the 90k, pretty good considering first 50k was around 25kph, looking back at the stats I did my last 20k....69k to 89k in 32mins....37.5kph... happy with that..what started off as a slow leisure cycle ended up being a decent workout, just sorry I made my nature call when I did, if I didn't then maybe I could have finished with the lead group..

session 90k group cycle 2hrs 57mins 30.3kph

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/384cv02av4m83nlq

catweazle wrote: »
    Did you delete it ya fecker - no sign of it anymore. Good to see you got it downloaded at least - no problem to me as I have it anyways on the drive.

Plus side this leaves the way clear for Bennymul to upload the Hard Road ;)

Hi Catweazle, I don't think I deleted it, downloaded to my laptop from the dropbox around 3 weeks ago.. I checked after I downloaded it was it still there and it was, if I did do something sorry.... I can try re-up it to dropbox if you want, just send a p.m., sorry again

Hi Catweazle, I don't think I deleted it, downloaded to my laptop from the dropbox around 3 weeks ago.. I checked after I downloaded it was it still there and it was, if I did do something sorry.... I can try re-up it to dropbox if you want, just send a p.m., sorry again

No no - I have it safe and sound on the hard drive - tis no problem!

You'll have to forgive me, I'm not the most clued in guy when it comes to these things (and apologies for hijacking the thread Trig), but my turbo is on that list (number 116). And I have the garmin ANT+ speed and cadence sensor on the bike thats currently fixed to the turbo. What do I need to do (baby step by baby step here :o ) for it to create some form of a power reading for my training? Initially I would have no interest in wasting an hour doing an FTP until I know its going to produce a number/numbers that are in any way consistent and usable. I understand I need to subscribe @ $10 a month, but can I then just use my laptop to display a power number rather than follow their plans? And how does this info get to the computer in real time.

Unsure BTH how it exactly works, perhaps drop Duffyshuffle or Courelidion a pm as they seem to be both regular users. I think there is an option on there now to setup your own specific sessions and it will read the power so no need to do their sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

What you need:

Turbo on the list
    Ant+ Cadence and Speed
    Ant+ Dongle (Garmin or Suunto seem most used)
    ANT+ HR Monitor (Optional)

Then download Trainer Road, sign up (If you don''t like it they will refund you), go to settings and pair Cadence/Speed and HR (if you want) and you are good to go. When you finsh the ride (either at the end of the period or when you press stop) it saves to TR. You can then download it as a file to go into TrainingPeaks, Strava etc if you want to do further analysis.

If you have your own program to do you can just choose a "FreeRide" ride and do your own thing whilst it displays power and HR. Bear in mind that power might not be 100% accurate but it will give a consistent reading that you can compare across rides so if your power figures are improving on TR then your actual power should be improving. You can create custom programmes in the Beta version I believe but I haven't tried that.

Hope that helps.

11/2/2013
    8k run to loosen out legs today, took it off a bit too pacey until I felt my calf start to go again, so put on the breaks and brought the intensity down a bit, calf felt fine then, getting a bit worried about the duathlon at the weekend, hope the calf holds up to it...

session 8k run in 38mins44secs 4.48mins/km

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/epbdq9alqrlg9fsd

12/2/2013
    Plan today was to do my 21.6k hilly tt route which I haven't done since last year... doing a sprint race at weekend so needed to get the legs back used to the sprint...my p.b for this is 38mins57secs....a lot of hills on route... I didn't think IT would beat this today as the legs were still sore after the 90k cycle Sunday and 8k run yesterday...anyway did the tt... bike felt good, legs felt bad... finished in 39.21mins.... 24secs off my pb... happy with that for this time of year... continued on with cycle...decided to just do 40k and call it a day, legs were in bits after the tt, took a few km to get back into it but unfortunately at 36k my chain snapped, took out my mobile to ring my missus to realise I had no credit and I was 5km from home..walked in my cycling shoes for around 30 mins before someone stopped to let me use their mobile...got home eventually after the wife collected me, was freezing my a$$ off until she arrived...l was glad of a hot shower when I got home....

session 21.6k tt on hilly route 39.21 mins, total cycle 36km 1hr16mins, 28.3kph

Crap! Nice of someone to eventually stop though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^^ :(

13/2/2013
    Legs were sore today so decided to just do a long swim this evening....only really 1 intention here... do as long a swim as possible to move up as far as possible on sbr challenge :D so got to the pool for 8.20pm and decided to swim until I was kicked out... just long relaxed swim... went through 750m in 15.40mins...was pretty shocked and surprised with this..2nd fastest ever pool 750m time... decided to relax a bit more as I had a long swim ahead ...went through 1500m in 32.10mins ....16.30mins for that 750m... went through 2250m in 49.30 mins...17.20mins for that 750m..started to feel it now and shoulders gtting sore.... went through 3000m in 66.20 mins 16.50mins for that 750m.... looking back on my logs from june and aug last year that time is over 4 mins faster than any previous 3000m time... anyway kept going looking to aim for a 3.8k time... hit 3500m in 1hr18mins40secs ...kicked out of pool then...anyway ... longest swim ever :) ...previous longest swim was last aug and I did 3300m in 1hr18mins.... 6 months later and not a whole lot of swimming done but still 200m faster than last aug... so swim speed is going in the right direction anyway

session 3500m pool swim in 1hr18mins40secs,

• Advertisement

14/2/2013..brick session
    Did a run..cycle..run session today warm up for duathlon at weekend... 4k run 21.6k cycle 4k run.... did cycle on my hilly route that I did Tuesday but had road bike today as tt bike still in lbs...headed off light on first 4k as I didn't want to pull my calf again..18mins30secs for first 4k avg 4.37mins/km, no probs with transition, straight onto bike-felt fine...took around 44 mins as I had a headwind on way home (usually fastest part of cycle). Didn't push too hard anyway...avg just under 30kph..next transition was fine..no bother. decided to push the last 4k run a bit.. did it in 16.58mins.. just under 4.15mins/km...if I could do 2 of those on Sunday i'd be happy

session 4k run 21.6k bike 4k run 1hr22mins30secs incl transitions

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/aipec76vhupflgfm

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good session Trig, best of luck for Sunday. I expect to be reading a report afterwards on how duathlons should be done, no pressure like :D

15/2/2013
    Not much done today- just a relaxed swim in Nenagh pool while kids were getting their swim lessons- again both ends of pool were tied off and there was no lanes so just swam a sort of square avoiding some kids and old guys for 30mins- used pull buoy for half of it trying to concentrate on hip rotation and placement...then spent next 20mins splashing and holding breath underwater with kids (i won every time :D).. noticed I'm getting a very sore shoulder after each swim session for a day or two- I breathe to the left (I've been told i'm raising my head too far out of water breathing) my right shoulder is the one getting sore, wondering has any1 any idea what it could be?
    anyway probably around 1250m of continuous swimming in 30mins..

session :30min swim 1250m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Did you do the duathlon today trig1? How did it go?

Ok last year at the Limerick duathlon I came 42nd out of 160, it was my first duathlon... this year I'm fitter,stronger and more experienced.... distances were different 4k 14k 4k, compared to 5k 20k 5k last year... so what I aimed for today was to try do 2 sub 17min 4k's and finish in under an hour.... didn't really think about where I would come but top 25 would have been nice...had a good mate racing too who is a really strong runner but weaker than me on bike so we were having our own race within a race... did a nice long warm up as I needed to really warm up the calves before the race as I was still a bit worried about them.....did a 6k cycle on course and 2k run to warm up..was sweating after it but felt good...there was a massive headwind on cycle course so I knew first 7k out would be tough but 7k back would fly. Ok the race...
    4k run
    Positioned myself close enough to the front of the field for the gun...gun went and I was immediately passed by loads..I ws getting really annoyed with myself...wondering how am I still so slow.. put my head down and kept going... was pretty shocked when I hit the first km mark in 3mins50secs.. jesus I was going fast. Hit the 2k turnaround in under 8 mins.happy so far, my mate was already prob a minute ahead but I knew I was going well...next 2k were good and controlled, hit t1 in 15.33mins..delighted with that time...thought it would have placed me higher up field but obviously strong field....
    First 4k... 15.33mins 56th/162
    T1
    No real issues.. 53secs..43/162
    bike...
    First 7k were very tough...strong headwind but tried to keep as close to 30kph as possible...passed my mate out around 5k... passing out loads..once around the turnaround I tore home hitting 60 kph at times...still passing loads, passed by no one which is always good...bike took me 24mins53secs...avg 34kph..good considering headwind and 9th overall,1min45secs behind winner..bike 24.53mins..9/162
    T2
    Once I put my bike back in transition I foolishly ran the wrong way which prob cost around 10secs... t2...1min...82/162
    2nd run
    Still felt good on this run but was conscious about my mate catching me...got through first 2k fine until I turned around and noticed the mate was catching... he was around 300m behind..sh#t... I started pushing hard.. I knew I was at my limit but I gave it everything... he's also from a rowing background and a great athlete so I knew I had a major race on for last 2k....hit the 1 k to go andvlooked behind and he was around 150m behind.. did I have enough in tank? Some was downhill so did that as fast as possible but last 200m to finish was up a killer hill.. I hit the hill and bang.. I couldn't move..my stomach was wretching..I was barely walking up the hill..I was f##ked..managed a slow jog..was waiting for him to pass me out any moment but it didn't happen, he also gave it everything to catch me and blew on the hill too :D ...fell over the line 8 seconds ahead of him...2nd run in16.13mins 50/162...again delighted with that split..running definitely getting faster.. also got over the line in 58.33mins..beat the hour and came 28th overall.... long winded report but really happy with my run splits today and another solid bike split.....
    So overall achieved my targets and 28/162 in 58.33mins
    Next race.. keeper challenge in 3weeks

Nice one Trig, well done. Progressing nicely.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Did you do the duathlon today trig1? How did it go?

Hi solobally.. went well. Really enjoyed it..as you can see from report :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Woo hoo Trig!!! Way to go today!! Your hard work is really paying off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

+1 Trig, great progress and savage result.

• Advertisement

A 15.33 4k and only 56th out of 162 :eek:

Tough field!

Advertisement