Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

catweazle wrote: »
    A 15.33 4k and only 56th out of 162 :eek:

Tough field!

I was thinking the same, and then saw the results. Very strong field at the top end. Good work Trig

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

A 15.33 4k and only 56th out of 162 :eek:

Tough field!

Closer to 3.6k actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Congrats Trig, great result and report. Glad to read you enjoyed it and as the guys and gals have said it's good to see the progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Nwm2 wrote: »
    Closer to 3.6k actually.

Well..burst my bubble wont you ;)... ya unfortunately found out today from a guy with a garmin on.. that the run was just over 3.6k and not 4k...should have put 2 and 2 together myself really...a 15.33 4k and 56th ???? also didn't really believe I had a sub 16.30 4k in me...not to mind 15.33... think I was just fooling myself....oh well- i'm still not a fast runner but I'll get there...(hopefully :D)...anyway

19/2/2013- night run
    took a day off yesterday after race so back running tonight at lunchtime in work...not feeling the best and probably should not have ran (slight feeling i'm coming down with something) anyway managed a slow 8k at around 5.15min/km pace..42mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Trig1 wrote: »
    Well..burst my bubble wont you ;)... ya unfortunately found out today from a guy with a garmin on.. that the run was just over 3.6k and not 4k...should have put 2 and 2 together myself really...a 15.33 4k and 56th ???? also didn't really believe I had a sub 16.30 4k in me...not to mind 15.33... think I was just fooling myself....oh well- i'm still not a fast runner but I'll get there...(hopefully :D)...anyway

I totally disagree with you here, that 33.43 8k you did recently in training would lend me to think a sub 20 minute 5k is easily within your grasp particularly with your love of suffering. I don't think you do a weekly interval run do you, introducing some super fast sets of 800m and 1k runs would see you right

• Advertisement

I totally disagree with you here, that 33.43 8k you did recently in training would lend me to think a sub 20 minute 5k is easily within your grasp particularly with your love of suffering. I don't think you do a weekly interval run do you, introducing some super fast sets of 800m and 1k runs would see you right

thanks Catweazle and yes your right..I dont really do any speed work running as i'm afraid of injury but i need to start doing some soon, might try doing some next week, if the knee, calf and hip feel ok :D:D i'm such a crock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

thanks Catweazle and yes your right..I dont really do any speed work running as i'm afraid of injury but i need to start doing some soon, might try doing some next week, if the knee, calf and hip feel ok :D:D i'm such a crock
    Word from the injured corner... 10% rule :o:(:cool::)

20/2/2013 very slow cycle
    Plan today was to do the keeper hill cycle, set off from home knowing the first 20k would be all uphill so knew it would be slow and tough going, also had a headwind to deal with... so worked my way through the first 15k until I got to the killer hill, tried to cycle to the top but gearing on mu bike is too hard 23-11, fell off towards the top and pushed the bike up the last 50m, thighs were like jelly, back on the bike and another couple of km's before I got to the downhill section, then I hear a big bang from the front wheel, tyre was fine but a spoke snapped and the wheel totally buckled, not having a good run of luck with bike at moment, was still able to cycle but brakes were also rubbing of wheel badly, ended up crawling the next 20k home for fear that wheel would buckle more....so ended up being very slow cycle..39.6k total in 1hr47mins....22.1kph

session :keeper hill cycle 39.7km in 1hr47mins 22.1kph

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/62rcs8oqbu8ppbg4

evening swim
    I've been swimming in U.L. pool for over a year now and bar a few 50m sprints I hace never done a full interval session, never thought I had the speed or technique, always did long distance swims or just technique, tonight was to be my first speed session, so copying most of shotguns session from yesterday I had planned a simple 2k swim, 10x100m off 2mins20secs ( I am slow) 3 mins rest then 10x100m off 2mins20secs with pull buoy... delighted to get all done and wasn't too bad, pretty wrecked after it but felt good..
    1st set.. 1.55, 1.57, 1.59, 1.59, 2.01, 2.00, 1.58, 1.58, 1.59, 1.57 (50m pool)
    2nd set with pull buoy 1.54, 1.55, 1.54, 1.56, 1.59, 1.58, 1.57, 1.56, 1.59, 1.58

session 2k swim. 2x (10x100)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hey
    If you want to join me for some running intervals around the ind est. your more than welcome.

nice training today.

BennyMul wrote: »
    Hey
    If you want to join me for some running intervals around the ind est. your more than welcome.

nice training today.

Cheers Benny, would love to, only problem is I work 12hr days and nights, do my running on days at 6pm and on nights I run at 11pm, don't think those times would suit you...

• Advertisement

21/2/2013
    Went up keeper today, didn't do the full run but did 80% of it, ran from the car park up to the last turn off at the really steep shale part (prob 2k from summit)..delighted with run, my big problem training for this last year was I kept having to stop and walk as it was too steep, managed to keep running the whole way today- might have been very slow running (1 km came in at 6.40mins/km) but it was running nonetheless- delighted to get as far as I did and flew back down the hill..took me 42mins to get to the turnaround point and 30 mins to get back down..very happy- even if I could do this pace on day of race I shoud do well..

session 13.6km hill run 1hr12mins avg speed..5.18mins/km

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/66rogfjh7aas80ki

22/2/2013
    Legs very sore today after run yesterday so plan today was......to do my first 400m tt in the pool...pysched myself up for it all day in work..only had around half hour to get something done as I wanted to get home to put the kids to bed after work...so finished work at 8pm...visualising the 400m all day and really up for it..got to U.L. pool and...low and behold ..the pool was closed :confused:
    swim Ireland had a competition all weekend... typical me...anyway I had my running gear with me too so decided to pop into gym for few minutes to get something done, even though I now only had 25mins...so quick change...into the gym and onto a machine I havent been on in nearly 2 years...the Ergo...just di a 5000m piece...nice and handy..still sweat a good bit..5000m rate 20 spm, splits 1.57.7mins/500m avg..did the 5k in 19mins30secs... just wound down for another few mins and off to the shower- quick work out, 25mins in total but I suppose it was something..

session 5k erg, rate 20, splits 1.57.7, 19mins30secs

23/2/2013
    Just a nice controlled 8k run at lunchtime in work..beautiful day for it......

session..8k run 40.03mins 5min/km

24/2/2013
    Working another 12 hour shift today so only another run at lunch time, plan was same route as usual...my "8k" route... my phone gps - sports tracker app, does not work in the industrial estate for some reason, cannot get sattelite signal so from the run i,'ve done over last few months and the times I've done them in I have thought that this route is just under 8k...my fastest time for this route few weeks ago was 33.43mins with a mate.. went with him again today for a very high tempo run...2 laps of estate... took off at good steady pace... coming towards end of first lap he was struggling so he took a short cut and told me to try catch him before finish...took around 3/4 of km shortcut so would be tall order... started upping the tempo big time over next few km and caught him and passed him out with around 500m to go... finished the run and stopped the watch at ...30.46mins...considering we did not start off flat out I have doubts that it is in fact a full 8k run...probably just under 7.5k.. regardless..it was a really good tempo run and I felt great, knee slightly sore but nothing major.
    session 7.4k run 30.46mins. Avg 4.10mins/km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Trig, check out gmaps pedometer for checking distances. I use it for mapping out cycling routes or run routes before I head out so I can get an idea of distances. Handy to use as well and should give you an accurate enough distance for that run.

25/2/2013 50k tt
    Did a hard 50k today on tt bike, beautiful conditions so I said I'd give it a lash and see how I got on...went really hard straight off... hit 10k in 15.44mins... 38.1kph. Think that's a 10k p.b.... 20k in 32.24mins...37kph for 20k... .hit 30k in 50.06mins...still feeling good and strong, bit sore between legs but still good. Total avg speed for 30k was 35.96kph..... bit of a headwind for that 10k. Started to feel the pinch in the 4th 10k... hit 40k in 67.43 mins... no p.b. there but still fastest spin in awhile...35.4kph for the 40k really suffered in the final 10k as last few km were on the long slow drag back to the house and my legs were fried.. passed my house... 48.4km in 83.44mins... kept going for the 50k and hit it in 87.29mins... slow last 10k.. 19.46mins ...miserable 30.35kph for that 10k and 34.3kph for the 50k.... not bad overall for a feb 50k tt and very happy with the fisrt 20k.......felt good afterwards.. that is until I went to make a wee. :(:eek: omg it really stung...must have been putting way too much pressure on that part of my anatomy during the cycle.. this happen to any of you guys before?

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/f8mirq92e9naskgm

session 50k tt on tt bike in 87.29mins..34.3kph

26/2/2013- keeper cycle
    Some day soon hopefully I might get over keeper hill without incident..did the cycle again today- changed the gearing on the bike so actually got over hill today without stopping- changed to a 25-11, got a puncture on back wheel though at the summit which took me nearly 15 mins to change as it was the rear wheel..anyway good tough cycle besides that...took around 1hr19mins to get to the finish of the race cycle route (not including puncture) will be hoping for closer to 1hr10 on race day, 1hr30 in total to get back to bike shop- ignore the last km on sports tracker app- was in car and forgot to turn it off...

session....38k keeper cycle...1hr30mins, 25kph

http://http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/6sb3u7vku8ro6so1

25/2/2013 50k tt
    Did a hard 50k today on tt bike, beautiful conditions so I said I'd give it a lash and see how I got on...went really hard straight off... hit 10k in 15.44mins... 38.1kph. Think that's a 10k p.b.... 20k in 32.24mins...37kph for 20k... .hit 30k in 50.06mins...still feeling good and strong, bit sore between legs but still good. Total avg speed for 30k was 35.96kph..... bit of a headwind for that 10k. Started to feel the pinch in the 4th 10k... hit 40k in 67.43 mins... no p.b. there but still fastest spin in awhile...35.4kph for the 40k really suffered in the final 10k as last few km were on the long slow drag back to the house and my legs were fried.. passed my house... 48.4km in 83.44mins... kept going for the 50k and hit it in 87.29mins... slow last 10k.. 19.46mins ...miserable 30.35kph for that 10k and 34.3kph for the 50k.... not bad overall for a feb 50k tt and very happy with the fisrt 20k.......felt good afterwards.. that is until I went to make a wee. :(:eek: omg it really stung...must have been putting way too much pressure on that part of my anatomy during the cycle.. this happen to any of you guys before?

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/f8mirq92e9naskgm

session 50k tt on tt bike in 87.29mins..34.3kph

Hey, I would look at your position on the bike (as it does not appear to happen on the roadie) It is possible that either the saddle to too high or bars too low and this is putting excess pressure on the "parts"

possilby look at tilting the saddle slightly down at the front so its not level. this may help open the hips and not have as much pressure.
    Or buy one of them new fangled saddles with the center cut out so there is no contact at all.

27/2/2013
    Just a handy chatty 8K run tonight at lunchtime in work with a mate..did a longer route than usual to ensure to get the full 8k done....

session 8k run..40 mins 5mins/km

28/2/2013
    Another 8k run at lunchtime in work tonight, legs were pretty sore- alwats seems to happen if i run 2 days in a row so again---telling myself not to run 2 days in a row anymore...hip/knee and worryingly groin is starting to get sore again... hasn't been at me since last year...no running for few days now...swim tomorrow hopefully, cycle hopefully sat and sunday..

session 8k run 39mins

• Advertisement

1/3/2013
    Swim in pool with kids this evening, their swim times have changed now so 1 is at 4pm and the other is at 4.30pm.. means I have full hour in pool but i also have 1 of them for the hour, so in between holding breath under water and throwing kids around I got as many 25m,50m and 100m sprints done as possible, no times but just as much work as possible, prob around 1500m of good swimming in total...

2/3/2013
    went with a group of around 10 up keeper today for a cycle, some with hybrids, people of all levels, myself and another guy pulled away pretty soon chatting.. once we got to 10k mark he wanted to wait for a mate, saw 1 guy pretty close behind so waited for him, wasn't his mate but a mate of mine, I headed off again with him whilst other guy waited for his mate...chatted with him for anther few km's until we got to the dreaded hill..pushed up that, glad to get up without falling off, mate wasn't too far behind so stayed with him for another few km's until we got to decent road..told him i was gonna burn off a bit now on the tri bars and see how much time I can gain on another mate who is a savage runner but slow on bike (my race within a race next week)...finished the cycle (to the equestrian centre) over 3 and 1/2 mins ahead of mate I left after hill and 8 mins ahead of rest of group in 1hr14mins..reckon I'll knock another 5mins off time next week but he should be around 15mins faster than me over the full run...will be close.. leisurely cycle back to town chatting again..42k in total

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/dpm7joa9a45lg7ad

Ankle extremely sore after cycle for some reason...could barely walk on it yesterday, still tender today so took yesterday off and same today..hopefully it'll be fine for weekend

Did you cycle the course with a tri bike?! How was it? Wet? Muddy? I'm going to do a run tester tomorrow night with some short easy hills. If I get through it I may come out to this on Saturday. I'm well out of shape though... ! Met Kev O'C on Sat night. He was sickened over a 1 min drubbing by NUIG. Said to stop messing with this tri crap and get back in the boat, you too!

Did you cycle the course with a tri bike?! How was it? Wet? Muddy? I'm going to do a run tester tomorrow night with some short easy hills. If I get through it I may come out to this on Saturday. I'm well out of shape though... ! Met Kev O'C on Sat night. He was sickened over a 1 min drubbing by NUIG. Said to stop messing with this tri crap and get back in the boat, you too!

Hey Mike. No way would I do it on the tri bike, i'd wreck it, did it on my road bike, not wet or muddy at all but pretty hairy..... loads of stones all over roads, if its not swept properly before Saturday there will be a lot of punctures.. not too bad other than that

5/3/2013

Well- have a nasty bit of manflu since sunday so have got not much done up to yesterday...Wife warned me not to do any training and relax on couch...she went off to town for few hours so I really felt like i had to get something done as I have The Keeper hill challenge at weekend...on with the gear and out I went for a short jog..didnt actually feel to bad on the run and was surprised when i finished that I managed 14k at 4.48mins/km..one of my fastest runs yet and felt really comfortable...nice bit of climbing too...taking today off too as I'm still not right..really trying to mind myself for the weekend as i want a good performance.

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/95tfqvcsprg4haf1

session 14k run..4.48mins/km 1:07:16hrs

Might be handing onto your wheel on the cycle! ... if I do the long one

Might be handing onto your wheel on the cycle! ... if I do the long one

That's if I get to do it myself, another day of no training and not feeling good today, sure we can always help each other through the cycle and I can watch you burn away in the run

Well only 1 session done all week due to illness and I'm afraid thats it before keeper challenge...all the base work there over the last 2 months so should be fine (if i dont get injured)...will just do a really short bike (5k) and small run (1k) to wake the legs tomorrow and then its http://wp.keeperchallenge.com/ saturday morn...38k bike and 19k hill run...looking forward to it already

8/3/2013

Final preps today before race tomorrow, 5k cycle to check on bike followed by 1k run to check on the body, all ok..... swim in afternoon with kids, whilst they were getting lesson I just did nice relaxed swim with pull buoy concentrating on rotating hips... felt good, threw in couple of 25m pieces at fast pace, nothing major.. prob 1250m in 30mins... roll on tomorrow morn... hope weather is good... next post will be race report... aimng for top 15 hopefully and as close to 3hrs as possible... did 3hrs12mins last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck tomorrow Trig!

• Advertisement

good luck today Trig

Advertisement