Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

5th/apr/2013
    Just a simple 21.4k tt on my hilly tt route today as a lung opener for race on Sunday...p.b. on this hilly route is 38.57mins set last year during my peak.. aimed to try beat this today..set off hard .feeling really good.. felt really strong going over hills, hit 10k in 17.21 mins and knew I was flying it for this route...newport to murroe and back to newport in clrcle.. the first 10k is up hill and lot of downhill and flat on 2nd 10k so I knew that bar a disaster I would beat my time of 38.57...hit the turnaround point and dissapointingly I turned into a hard headwind..my head kinda dropped a bit here as I knew it would now be a struggle to beat the time especially with the last 2.5k on a long hard drag home... anyway gave it a go, killed myself actually, delighted that the legs felt good throughout...hit my home and stopped straight away and checked the watch- it read...38.57mins :D:mad::( exact same time as my peak last year in perfect conditions... suppose I have to be happy with that..especially seeing as my return 10k was around 2mins slower than usual...so killaloe duathlon Sunday 5k run 18k cycle 3k run...a walk in the park hopefully...aiming for top 20 hopefully

session 21.4k hilly tt route 38.57mins

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/9nll8ch0pfprruu0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best of luck on the duathlon. :)

Did not go as well as I hoped today, wasn't even going to do a report but what the hell.... here goes, it'll be short , I hope, got down to registration with the brother on a cold morning, the brother was flying it and hoping for top 5, my running has been going well over last week so I was hoping for a top 20 finish, I was shocked at the amount that turned up.... 131 in total, anyway... the race...
    Run 1 5km
    I was aiming for a sub 21 min run here as my running was going well... headed off and was delighted to see the bro lead the race out.. on the other hand I was being passed by half the field ......my legs just were not working.. didn't really know what was wrong,lungs felt fine but I just couldn't move fast enough, passed km1 mark in 4.27mins... very dissapointed with that ,kept plugging away, passed 1 or 2 but loads ahead of me, passed km 2 in just under 8.50mins... more of the same for the next 3km, lungs felt good, body felt strong but could barely get under 4.30mins/km.. was glad to get the run over with and get onto the bike(mental note..need to start doing some speed work)
    Run... 22.29mins 52/131...dissapointed

Bike 18km
    Felt great straight away on bike, was so far down the field I had loads to pass out:o, kept picking off people in the distance and reeling them in, kept count also while passing people out... around 30 people in total.. felt good and strong going into a slight headwind.. got a boost when I saw the leaders coming back towards me with my brother in 4th... pushed the whole way, got a bit annoyed when I looked behind me to see some f$$ker drafting off me, threw a few f$$ks into him and pushed hard to drop him, successfully:p
    Got back to transition with the legs in bits but enjoyed bike immensely...
    bike 29.27mins 14/131

Run 2.. 3k
    Still felt good but the legs were in a world of pain now... still not able to get legs motoring but was going a little faster than first 5k.. was only passed out by around 3 or 4 but still not as fast as I would have liked,, going at just over 4.20min pace.... wrecked by the end of race but recovered fast... felt strong and fit throughout but really need to concentrate on some speed work during my runs....brother finshed in 4th.. fair play to him he is flying it this year, he even beat me on bike by 30secs (I usually have the upper hand in this at least but not today)

run 2 13.06mins 49/131

Knew after my runs that there was no way I was gonna finish top 20....
    Came 27th overall out of 131.... not really happy with that but its another race under my belt and I felt good throughout...

boru duathlon 1:06:55 mins 27/131

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Was that TT on friday wise before Sundays race, sounds like your legs were dead? You will get to know yourself better over the next year - i seem to do best when I do f-all for a few days before a race

Certainly that first 5k average of 4.30 is very disappointing considering you have been doing 8 and 10k runs faster on a regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

catweazle wrote: »
    Was that TT on friday wise before Sundays race, sounds like your legs were dead? You will get to know yourself better over the next year - i seem to do best when I do f-all for a few days before a race

Certainly that first 5k average of 4.30 is very disappointing considering you have been doing 8 and 10k runs faster on a regular basis
    +1 on this, a nice TT 2 days before a race is fine if only a training race but if looking to do something not so good. I would have done it Thursday at the latest, give the body time to recover.

did you get a good warmup before, as it seems it took you some time to get going, I wonder if you need to chage this around so you are ready at the start line,

confgrats do,

• Advertisement

BennyMul wrote: »
    +1 on this, a nice TT 2 days before a race is fine if only a training race but if looking to do something not so good. I would have done it Thursday at the latest, give the body time to recover.

did you get a good warmup before, as it seems it took you some time to get going, I wonder if you need to chage this around so you are ready at the start line,

confgrats do,

Never thought of that and thinking about it I reckon ye are right, a bit silly of me pushing so hard on a tt 2 days before race- hopefully it was that! did a good 10min warm up before race and was sweating after it but race was delayed a bit and didn't get going until probably 30mins after the warm up- was freezing at this stage...I'll just chalk this one down to experience ;)

9/apr/2013
    Just a light 30min jog today to loosen legs out after weekend- legs still pretty sore,

session: 6.2k run 31mins

10/apr/2013
    Went down to pool tonight planning to do a hard fast set as I have nenagh triathlon next weekend so plan was 5x200 at just under race pace then 5x 100 then 5x50 all just under race pace.. got to the pool after my 12hr shift so was pretty tired heading in and was caught for time so just did 100m warm up and straight into first set of 5x200... now I am a slow swimmier and these times are probably rubbish to most of ye but I was pretty pleased with them.... took around 3mins rest between each one as my heart felt like it was gonna pop out of my çhest.. 3.48, 3.53, 3.57, 4.01, 3.57.... was absolutely wrecked after the set of 5... hardest work I've ever done in pool, started the 100's after 5 mins but was wrecked, did 3 in 1.56, 1.58 and 2.02 then decided I had enough.. was glad to get that much done. ...about time I did some sort of speed work in the water...I'll be very happy if I can keep that pace next weekend, antime under 15mins and I'll be delighted.

session 1400m swim, 5x200m, 3x100m

11/apr/2013
    Did my first Interval running session today of the season :D, very happy with it, went out with my mate at lunch time in work...did around a 3k warm up ~ 15mins then came to "the hill" well its not much of a hill but it is around a 2min long sharp incline so perfect for hillsprints- plan was to do 5 sprints to the top of hill and jog back to bottom then jog back to work..first sprint and we were both fe*ked after it..he beat me by around 2secs..never started watch on first sprint -was the fastest one so for arguments sake we'll say he did 1.40mins and I did 1.42mins..jog back down and straight into next one- he killed me on this one-he did 1.40 and i did 1.45- really feeling it in the lungs- trying to suck in as much oxygen as possible once we stopped- he's a good strong sprinter but still needs to work on fitness and we both need to lose more weight :P, 3rd sprint and he was ahead of me again but he ran out of steam half way through and I passed him out and kept going to do a 1.44min run- we were both really suffering now and if we were out alone would probably have called it a day but thats the joys of having a partner to run with- we pushed each other into doing the final 2.. 4th one and I did 1.45, he did 1.55, heavens opened on us during 4th one- nicely refreshing, jogged back down again and straight into the last one- pushed this as hard as we could- we were both spent by the end.. 1.44 again for me and 1.55 for him- very happy with the consistency throughout.. 1.42,1.45,1.44,1.45,1.44 we were both chuffed and delighted to get the session done and jogged back to work happy in the pissing rain (alot of people thinking were nuts but we didn't care) session took 42mins in total

session 42min run incl 5x 1.45min hill sprints

12/apr/2013

Didn't have much time to train today and had a long cycle planned tomorrow so just had another shot at my hilly route tt.... have done 38.57mins for this route 3 times but nothing faster until today :D , felt good heading off but was immediately facing a headwind so didn't think I'd have any shot at beating my p.b,, just ept it solid for the first 10k, pushing the hills hard and eeping head down into the headwind...did first 10k in 18.42mins- bit slow but o considering headwind- turned around and was motoring home, wasn't until around 16 into the cycle that I realised I actually had a chance of beating my p.b. so really pushed hard for the last 6k,,, did the 2nd 10k in 17.14mins, pushed the last 1.44m drag to finish with a time of 38.40mins on stopwatch (38.47mins by time I stopped the sports-tracker), p.b. by 17secs, very happy with that, around 600ft of climbing in this route

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/4fvep61vs0sod4va

session 21.5k hilly tt route 38.40mins

13/apr/2013

We were heading to CastleIsland in Kerry today for the niece's 1st birthday so I had a great idea of cycling down, wife was ok with this so got up early in the morn, checked the weather- looked like I'd have a bit of a headwind and some drizzle but nothing too bad, chatted to the bro in law about the route and only hill really was between abbeyfeale and castleisland (didnt realize it was 20k of a hill :() so googlemaps was telling me route was around 100km so to give myself plenty of time I left home at just after 10am as the birthday party was on at 2pm..said to myself i'd aim for avg of 30kph for full route so i'd take just under 3.30hrs... anyway off I went, felt really nice and comfortable for first 20k- my route would be newport into limerick city..out through Raheen onto patrickswell..then adare...newcastlewest...abbeyfeale and then castleisland...so was tipping away nicely and first 20k took 36.02mins....avg 33.9kph...bit too fast but actually had a tailwind for this...went through the hour mark at just under 33kph... 2nd 20k still felt fine and took 37.34mins...avg 32kph,,, went through 60k in 1hr52mins so was still going at avg 32kph for the first 60k.. still felt fine at this stage and got to 80k in 2hrs32mins with and avg of 31.4kph for the 80k... had only just over 20k left so was hoping to take 3.15hrs in total- what I didnt plan for was the 2 massive hills that were to come on the next 27km with a headwind blowing right into m face... 80k - 100k took me a massive 53mins- 22.5kph and the last 7.5k took me 20mins including having to get off the bike and having to push it up a hill-- would have gladly abandoned the bike at the side of the road and hopped into the wifes car if she passed me there and then... once I got to the house I was relieved and recovered very quickly- did the first 80k at 31.5kph so was happy with that, and last 27k at 22kph so not really happy with that but 2 big hills and a headwind in last 27k- looking at sports tracker looks like there was around 2200ft of climbing during the cycle so good long session... total cycle took 3hrs45mins and avg of 28.6kph for 108km- longest cycle ever so glad to get it done

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/405ja32nhbc0oier

session 108km cycle, 3hrs45mins

15/apr/2013
    took yesterday off to give legs a rest after cycle.. today just did a quick 1hr session on turbo with few 1mins sprints thrown in and 1 3min flat out tt. good sweatty session

session 1hr turbo

• Advertisement

16/apr/2013
    Hell hath no fury.... had planned a run today but wife and kids sick so had to leave work early, got kids to bed and went to jump on treadmill but alas I think my threadmill is gone to threadmill heaven....so hopped on turbo instead and stuck on "hell hath no fury"... 5 min warm up... stage 1...6mins steady...went fine then straight into 20 mins race with a lot of climbing and sprinting involved...really tough but felt great after, 6mins rest then 3rd stage... another 20min race with more climbing and sprinting.. again felt really strong, pool of sweat as usual, then last stage 3.30min tt... wrecked afterwards... Did 10min cooldown... won race by 1 second...:D surprise surprise, 2 more sessions before Nenagh at weekend, run intervals tomorrow and swim intervals tomorrow night, will then take 2 full days off on thurs and Friday so I can be in peak condition for Saturday

session... 80 min turbo, hell hath no fury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

What wave are you in Saturday? I was a bit over ambitious with my swim time and ended up in Wave 3, would much prefer to be in Wave 1 or 2 so as not to be last out of the pool :o

Haven't seen waves yet, where can they be seen, think I entered 15mins for my swim so could be in wave 3 too

Trig1 wrote: »
    Haven't seen waves yet, where can they be seen, think I entered 15mins for my swim so could be in wave 3 too

Got an email from the club yesterday, was in my junk mail so maybe your's went there too. I put down 16 mins but another clubmate put down 15 and is in my wave too another one who put down 13 is in there as well!

Wave 4 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good luck on Sat Trig, hope it goes to plan.

Good read on the duathlon report and as you say take the positives from it.

Planned Interval run today and interval session this evening in pool but unfortunately sick as a dog all day so no training done.. with only 2 days left before Nenagh I'm wondering is tomorrow too late to do an interval run or will I just rest until Saturday so I am fresh on the day, any thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Trig1 wrote: »
    Planned Interval run today and interval session this evening in pool but unfortunately sick as a dog all day so no training done.. with only 2 days left before Nenagh I'm wondering is tomorrow too late to do an interval run or will I just rest until Saturday so I am fresh on the day, any thoughts anyone?

By all means train tomorrow if you're well enough to do so, but easy swim easy bike or easy run. Just to keep the legs awake, a hard session now won't achieve anything.

Still sick as a dog all day along with 2 of the kids, hoping i'm ok for Saturday, no training done since Tuesday! Will just have to wait and see

19th/Apr/2013
    Still sick today but had to bring the young lad to swimming(in the pool I was to do the tri in the following morn) so took my gear with me and said i'd go in for a swim to see how I felt,, did a lot of lengths of nice long relaxed strokes- felt ok so did a couple of 100's and could not break 2mins for them- comming in on 2.02 and 2.03, did 1 50m in 1.00 so decided enough of the speedwork- I was knackered after those so just a few more lengths of technique work- probably 1000m in total and was wrecked after it, really did not know what to do about Nenagh tri the next morn..

session 1000m swim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Was the race worth it? Listen to your body! Good result from the brother 65 on that course is nice work

Last year the North tipp sprint was my first ever sprint tri- did it in 1hr20mins15secs... swim 16.21 bike 36.34 run 23.44.. today I really did not know if i was going to race or not until I woke up the morning of the race- still a bit under the weather with stomack cramps and had to use the facilities 7 times before the race but decided I would race regardless- plan was just to try beat last years times for each discipline..came 81st last year out of 230 but last year the race was not a National series race, this year it was a National series so i knew competition would be alot harder-(last year the bro did 1hr8mins and came 7th) so.....as I was saying...Morning of the race I was still under the weather - stomach was doing somersaults but met up with the bro, registered, set up my bike and stuff in transition, listened to race briefing then over to the hotel for another pitstop:o, I was in wave 4 so I had another hour and half before my wave, (could be worse, the bro was in wave 8)... sat in the car for an hour waiting for the race- stomach was still cramping and the nerves and butterflys were not helping- anyway at 10.30am I went over and got togged just in time for wave4's swim briefing...the last of wave 3 were just finishing so into the pool for a warm up and chat with people in lane-- we were all around same- aiming for sub 15mins- so i ended up slotting into 2nd in my lane between 2 women....

swim....
    The hooter went and off we went..the girl ahead of me said she was also aiming for sub 15mins and she would be going off steady but she shot off and I lost her feet straight away.. felt awkward and out of breath after 2 lengths, another 2 lengths and the girl in front was out of sight and the girl behind was tapping my feet so i let her past at the end of next length along with the guy behind her..went on his feet and from here my race changed ..for the better :D... I didnt realize how much extra work i was doing in front of the group once the first girl dropped me- once i slotted in drafting off the 2 in front I got my mojo back, got my 2nd wind and started to enjoy myself, we were moving well and sharing the work, I moved up once or twice tapping feet in front and leading the group again (besides the girl who went off and did a 12.32 swim)once she got out I saw 12.30 on the clock and knew we were on for a good time...got out of the water bang on 13.40mins- delighted with that and a big p.b. for a pool 750m swim, by the time I crossed the timing mat i was at 13.51mins.... thrilled with that!!
    swim 13.51mins 107/250 beat last year by 2mins30secs

(heading for a lunchtime run in work now, will update rest of race after run)

(ok back from run so where was I)
    t1..
    no major issues here..had cycling shoes on ground so on with belt,glasses,helmet and shoes run and good mount and clipped in straight away passing out around 2-3 in process... 1min20secs for T1..

Cycle..
    Cycle started off well, had a bit of crosswind but passed out 3-4 in the first km, passed out another few people in the first 5km but then all of a sudden I had no one in my sights, I could see nearly a km or 2 down the road and there was no one there, i was leading wave 4 at this stage but I was very dissappointed that i had no one else to catch, had no one really to pace off (i thrive on picking someone in the distance and pushing hard to catch them, then picking someone else), I still felt i was going strong and when i looked behind i could see no one also but I couldn't help feeling I was loosing time due to not having anyone to catch, felt i was going faster on the back 10k with the speedo reading 40k+ most of the time but I was dissapointed when i saw the results with a 34.24min 20k, I was even more dissappointed when i found out the brother did 31.58- i'm usually a bit faster than him on the bike but he did have all the elites in wave 8 to pace off :mad::rolleyes:...

Cycle....34.24mins 47th/250 beat last year by 2.10mins

t2...
    A long t2 run around the swimming pool with the bike, rack bike, off with the shoes (which i left on whilst running due to gravel) and on with the runners and off I went...looks like my time from t2 was combined with my run time as i got no t2 time.

Run...
    I was still leading my wave at this stage and felt good starting off the run, after around 6-700m I looked behind me and there was still no one in sight so i knew i had a good lead (in my wave of 30ish :o not overall) hit the first km mark at around 4.18mins so was ok with that, 2nd km was around 4.15mins and still felt good, next km I hit the hill and started suffering, stomach was also starting to come at me, this km took around 5mins, next km was downhill and i got a breather on this, looked behind me and also saw 2 guys closing fast, did this km in around 4.30... I knew from last year that this run was a bit longer than 5k and the last km was the longest so I tried to push hard on this km but unfortunatley the legs were gone at this stage and the guys that were closing on me passed me out with around 600m to go, once i got within 100m my watch was pushing towards 1hr14mins so i pushed hard to get in under that...finished in 1hr13mins57secs with the last km taking just under 5mins, my run again let me down but considering i wasn't well comming into the race i'm happy with the overall result...my run time was down as 24.22 but that also included my t2 time, i know from timing the run that i did just under 23mins- considering the bro is an 18.30 5k runner and the run took him 20.37 I'm not too dissappointed with 23mins

Run +t2 24.22mins, run +t2 last yr was 25.45 1min23 faster than that
    Overall 1hr13mins57secs 66/250 6mins18secs faster than last year

When I heard the overall results I was very dissapointed, i thought I had come on in triathlon over the winter training amd that I had expected to do alot better than 66th in my first race of the season...after a day of thinking about it i'm actually happy with the result...the bro came 7th last year with 1hr8mins and was expecting another top 10 this year..he knocked 3mins off his time with a 1hr5min race and only came 16th..after that i knew it was a really tough field...i was delighted with my swim- big improvement there, my bike was poor but I know why and i know thats something i can work on, my run i thought was poor but its a long hard 5k and sub 23mins for me on that course is ok.. my p.b. for a sprint tri is 1hr11mins20- this race was only 2.37mins off that so i'll take that for this time of the season:D

21/apr/2013
    Just a light lunchtime run in work to loosen the legs out after yesterdays race..8k run in 41.27mins

session 8k run, 41.27mins

Was the race worth it? Listen to your body! Good result from the brother 65 on that course is nice work

Ya Mike I paid the entry fee so I said to myself I'd use it as a training session at the least, for the swim alone the race was worth it :D I did sub 14mins in a pool for 750m(with no wetsuit)- chuffed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done Trig, theres a huge difference in level racing a NS event and your regular events particularly the first one of the year when everyone is raring to go.

22/apr/2013
    cycle to work tonight on tt bike, pushed hard for full spin but had a vicious headwind the whole way, good workout though and really felt it in the legs by the time i finished, 25k cycle to work in 52.41mins at a slow 28.4kph

session 25k cycle to work 52.41mins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done on your race! Improvement is improvement....you should feel very good about your progress. :)

Well done at the sprint Trig1 I saw you just before the end but thought it wasnt the best time to introduce myself :D I was the marshall all on my own after you turned into the school before you went onto the track. You seemed to be fairly trucking at that point. Sub 23 mins run off the bike on that course is impressive!

• Advertisement

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Well done at the sprint Trig1 I saw you just before the end but thought it wasnt the best time to introduce myself :D I was the marshall all on my own after you turned into the school before you went onto the track. You seemed to be fairly trucking at that point. Sub 23 mins run off the bike on that course is impressive!

I actually thought that was you (I saw from your blog you were not racing) and i remember i got a big smile off you :D, thanks- ya i was fairly wrecked at that stage..

Advertisement