Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congrats, Trig!!! 9 minutes is significant - well done you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Trig1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the Aero Helmet!! :D love it (and I got it spotlessly clean)

Ah yes! Glad you like it, in fairness it is nice and comfy and blue which is the main thing :) Tell me - how the hell did you get it spotlessly clean?? I find the sticky residue from the helmet stickers almost impossible to remove completely. Luckily in Kilkee they gave us top quality stickers, just another classy little touch:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Tell me - how the hell did you get it spotlessly clean?? I find the sticky residue from the helmet stickers almost impossible to remove completely. Luckily in Kilkee they gave us top quality stickers, just another classy little touch:cool:

Wet wipes are great for that! I have a few packets these days in my van for wiping oil off me after messing with the bike, cleaning bike helmets (I even use them to give the bike a quick clean sometimes!)

Explaining to people why you have that many packets of wet wipes when you've no kids is the difficult part - especially if you tell them you use it to clean your helmet...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Wet wipes are great for that! I have a few packets these days in my van for wiping oil off me after messing with the bike, cleaning bike helmets (I even use them to give the bike a quick clean sometimes!)

Explaining to people why you have that many packets of wet wipes when you've no kids is the difficult part - especially if you tell them you use it to clean your helmet...

Haha...fricken hilarious :D:D

Wet wipes - ie baby wipes, J&J type? I use them myself for cleaning my bike frames, after every single ride :) Never found them good for getting out that stubborn residue though.

Oh and don't you worry...I get funny looks at home with my baby oil, baby wipes and my talc powder...these people know I've no children! I'd actually prefer them to ask "WTF" instead of drawing their own conclusions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Ah yes! Glad you like it, in fairness it is nice and comfy and blue which is the main thing :) Tell me - how the hell did you get it spotlessly clean?? I find the sticky residue from the helmet stickers almost impossible to remove completely. Luckily in Kilkee they gave us top quality stickers, just another classy little touch:cool:

Just hot water, wash up liquid and green scrubber pad (like wire wool but not) and a lot of elbow grease :cool:

• Advertisement

9/7/2013
    44k cycle in the sun today- took the first 10k way too hard at 36.5kph..was actually shattered after that so did the next 2 10k's lighter at 31.3kph and 32.7kph....had nothing left in legs for last 14k - sun had really zapped all the energy out of me...did the 4th 10k at 27.2kph and last 4k at 19kph...full spin in 1hr30mins 29.6kph..shattered after it

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/eviielhdrv2c4pap

session: 44k bike 1hr30mins 29.6kph

10/7/2013
    out to twomilegate(killaloe) swimming with kids for day followed by bbq and beers with the Bro and his wife- thus no training done

11/7/2013
    Heat still unbearable- no motivation to do anything- headed out to killaloe again with kids- managed a 15min swim on my own- thats all ...a measly 15min swim ~ 750m

12/7/2013
    still roasting out today but was determined to get something done so went for run at lunchtime in work...very slow sweaty 8k run in 43mins!!!

session 8k run 43mins...

mid-season review....
    So after doing my main "A" race of the year- Kilkee and acheiving my main goal what has the rest of the season got in store for me...pretty hectic actually...

Sunday 21 july..Newport 10k...did this run 2 years ago as my first competitive race in years and its what led me into doing tri's... ran it in 53minutes 2 years ago...its a tough hilly course and if the heat holds up I wont be setting any p.b.'s but would like to do it in sub 43mins

Saturday 27th July....little bo peep Oly distance NS triathlon...
    not aiming for anything in particular here- just doing it to give me a feel for Kenmare and so I will know my way around for "the lost sheep" in sept.

Saturday 24th Aug...Worlds End Tri Castleconnell.... my last sprint tri of the season and my local tri- came 19th here last year so hoping for a top 15 this year, also targetting this (hopefully) as my first sub 70min sprint tri

Saturday 31st Aug Brian Boru Olympic Tri... Was aiming to give this a good lash but with "the lost sheep" after changing dates to 7th sept It only gives me a week between races so will use this race as my last long training session before the lost sheep

Saturday 7th Sept...the lost sheep Middle distace NS Tri... My first step into middle distance tri and my 2nd "A" race of the year...not sure what to aim for here as dont know the course but was told it is hilly...would like to break or get as close to 5hrs as possible....

Well thats my season..hopefully it goes as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Saturday 24th Aug...Worlds End Tri Castleconnell.... my last sprint tri of the season and my local tri- came 19th here last year so hoping for a top 15 this year, also targetting this (hopefully) as my first sub 70min sprint tri

Great.... Another one who's dust I'll be eating
    :rolleyes:
    Lol... Best of luck!! ;)

13/7/2013
    25.1k cycle to work- didn't actually feel fast but nearly beat my p.b. on this route without trying much- nice weather I suppose(not much of a tailwind)...

session: 25.1k cycle to work 44.20mins 34kph

13/7/2013
    25.8k cycle home from work- still roasting out.. felt good for first 10k but started to wilt after that and was crawling by the time I hit home...

session: 25.8k cycle 51.30mins...30kph

14/7/2013- took a rest day as I had a long brick session planned Monday

15/7/2013- ok today was first of my long brick sessions leading up to my half Ironman distance race in Sept...have around 8 weeks so will be increasing the distance weekly....this weeks plan was a 60k cycle at just under HIM pace followed by a 10k run at HIM pace....went well, 60k cycle was by no means flat out..just steady state at around 32kph avg...did around 62k in total in 1hr56mins... transition took around 3mins then headed off for 10k run..first 2kms were too fast but settled into a nice slow rythym after that of around 4.45mins/km (would like to do ths pace for the HIM)...did the 10k in just under 47mins...the whole session took 2hrs45mins for 62k cycle/ transition and 10.5k run... happy enough with that...(sports tracker link down at moment so no data for workout yet)

session : 62k cycle 10.5k run 2hrs45mins

16/7/2013- dont know if i did too much yesterday or if i caught some bug but was unwell all day today so no training..

17/7/2013- Felt better today...obviously some 24hr bug...didnt have much of a window to get much done today (the wife allowed me 1hr before i went to work) so allowed myself 70mins and decided to do a 40k tt..very hot out there so knew I wouldnt be breaking any p.b.s but did decent enough splits for the 2 20k's-- at 34.40mins and 35mins...did the 40k in 69.40mins..34.4kph--ok i suppose considering the heat...

session 40k bike 70mins

• Advertisement

18/7/2013
    Just a light 6k run at 3am around Industrial estate in work with a mate...very dark and eerie....just under 30mins

session 6k run 30mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

after taking timimng chip and race belt off i ran over line with them again and gotthis lovely pic....aim for next year....lose more weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A big difference between this picture and the year before - well done you have done great on the weight front.

You should have told the brother to f-off over those pints the filthy drafter :D

19/7/2013- Had visitors all day so another missed session
    20/7/2013- Out in Killaloe all day swimming with kids- did manage a long swim...around 1750m in 33mins

session 1750m swim 33mins

21/7/2013- newport 10k had plans on doing sub 43mins for this but with the heat out there on the day (28degrees) and the race being ran at 2pm I decided to use it just as a training run and try do around 45mins...only around 100 competitors and 2 mates running, 1 that I would like to stay with as long as possible (he's a 40min man) and another I would try to beat (43min man but also carrying an injury)...anyway started off with the first km on an downhill slope and I went off hard (stupidly too hard)...clocked 3.55mins for my first km....my mate came up alongside me (40min man) and told me slow down that i was doing sub 40min pace..tried to listen to him and did the 2nd km around 4.30 but this was uphill, next km again I let myself go as this was another downhill and clocked 4.07mins for this one..still feeling good at this stage and was running alongside my mate (40min man)...went through km4 in around 4.35- big hill...went through the 5km mark in 21.40...was stilll on course for sub 43mins but here is where the skates came off...I started really feeling the heat and was gasping for water (thankfully there was loads of water stations and people out with hoses) grabbed as much water as i could-pouring it over my head to keep me cool...my mate started drifting away from me slowly and my legs started to feel very very heavy...was struggling now to keep 4.45min pace ...km 8 actually clocked 4.57mins/km...surprisingly though my mate was still only just ahead of me...feeling the heat too!! just before the last km my other mate flew past me (guy i was trying to beat)- this spurred me to dig deep for the last km but unfortunately the tank was empty, I was drained and running on empty- the heat had knocked everything out of me...I push for home for the last km yielded a 4.48min km- crossed the line in 46.37mins(very dissapointing and slower than my 10k in HOTW few weeks ago)- blaming it all on the heat :D...I suppose to put it into some sort of perspective...my mate (40min man) only did 45mins10secs... the other mate beat me by 20secs.... I went off way to hard and died miserably in the last 3k...my 2nd 5k was just under 25mins......went over to killaloe that evening for a loosening swim..did just 750m in 14mins

sessions 46.37mins 10k ..... 750m swim

22/7/2013- Had serious DOMS after race sunday(worse than after Kilkee)...thighs and Hamstrings were in bits so took another day off yesterday..
    23/7/2013- after taking a day off yesterday I decided to try do hard tt cycle into work this morn and have a go at beating my p.b....p.b. for this cycle was set last year on 11th oct 44.05mins....so set off hard this morn and felt good- actually got soaked to the skin during the cycle..also got caught at a few traffic lights but drove hard the whole way and was shocked when i got into work and stopped the watch at 42.41mins- smashed my previous pb by 1min20secs :D

session :25.1k cycle to work 42.41mins 35.3kph

23/7/2013
    cycle home from work...25.8km in 49.30mins..felt fine..caught in traffic

session: 25.8k cycle 49.30mins

24/7/2013
    Afternoon: nice light 6k jog at lunchtime ...29mins
    Evening: 2X800m ow swim at worlds end...on buoy'ed course...went hard for first 800m and took 14.57mins, went nice and easy for 2nd 800m and did it in 16.02mins...was shocked that there was only 1min in difference..must try concentrate more on technique and less on aggression for race at weekend... taking today and tomorrow off to wind down for "little bo peep" olympic distance triathlon in kenmare on Saturday...wish me luck :D..

sessions 6k run 1600m o.w.swim

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

How did it go?

The Build up...Well I raced Little bo peep triathlon in Kenmare on Saturday 27th July..headed down to kenmare to register on Friday evening but before I left home I went down to my local bike shop to get some gels for the race..was disappointed to find out the local bike shop was closed as the owner was on hols..didn't bother me too much as I knew there would probably be a stall I could buy gels at during registration...so packed everything up and left home at 5pm on Friday...I was staying in brother in laws in CastleIsland Friday night so planned drive to kenmare..register..then back to castleisland for night...After driving for around 2 and 1/2 hours and taking in the fantastic scenery of Molls Gap i eventually arrived at registration closing in on 8pm..Registered for race..got a lovely race top and then looked around for a few gels but there was no stall :confused: ...spoke to 1 or 2 guys from Kenmare tri club and they said that they should have some kinetica gels for me in the morn if I went too registration in the morning...i was geting a bit nervous now but there was nothing else i could do so I headed back to Castleisland (another 1hr drive) and went straight to bed..up next morn for 7am and felt great and was raring to go...Drove the 1hr drive to kenmare again through the beautiful breath-taking scenery of Molls Gap..arrived at registration and found the Kenmare tri guy and he said sorry he had no gels, they were only recovery drinks he had from kinetica :eek:, I panicked here a little as I had never done an olympic race without gels but there was nothing i could do now so it would be a learning experience...I set up in transition slightly worried about how I would get through the run after a difficult bike with no gels but i tried not to think too much about it..my aim was to enjoy this race no matter what...I had 1 750ml bottle of water with an aldi energize tablet in it :D and that was it...so everything set..wetsuit on ..pre race meeting done..big lecture on drafting which was nice to see...
    swim...So into the water we went and lined uo behind a few kayaks when a guy longside me left out a roar.."get that f**king thing away from me" I looked into the water and the biggest Jellyfish I had ever seen was right longside me:eek:, the guy in the kayak got rid of it with his paddle.. thank God..hooter went and off we went...I really loved the swim, really felt good and strong and felt my technique was good, I concentrated alot on technique and less on trying to kill myself, kept hopping from feet to feet and passing out people looking for faster feet, ther was jellyfish everywhere and I dont mean small ones but huge brown one with long tentacles,, I swam face first into one and it panicked me a bit, i was waiting for my face to start stinging but thankfully it didn't, i was nere so relieved in my life to be wearing a wetsuit..loved the swim and powered the last few 100 metres, hopped out the the water and looked at my watch and was thrilled to see a swim p.b. of 25.58mins not a bad time at all for a 1500m swim if i may say so myself :) and I actually finished in the top half of the field for a change...there was 211 racers in total but only 193 finishers so...
    swim 25.58mins 92/211 overall 23/40 in age group
    T1..exited to water to realize the rain was bucketing down..I mean torrential ...the bike was now going to be treacherous as it was up in killarney mountains and on the coast road with loads of twists and turns..
    Had a really good T1..no problems except wet shoes..did my usual..ran in the cycling shoes, hop on bike, clip in and off i went...
    t1..1.14mins 65/211 overall and 17th in agegroup
    Bike..
    Once I hopped on the bike I clipped in straight away and passed out 3 or 4 people trying to get their feet into their shoes :D, there was loads ahead of me up the road so loads to pass out...this was a long drag uphill but i was flying it and really enjoying myself and passing loads..hill started climbing slightly but speed was still good..ensured i was taking a good long dring every 15mins seeing as i had no gels..I looked back at 1 stage and there was a guy closing on me...he was not drafting off me but there was a train of 6 behind him..I sat up straight away and started shouting at the drafters, he apologised and said there was nothing he could do...it wasn't his fault...I went back down on the tt bars and pushed again for a few mins and the he passed me out on his own laughing saying all the drafters had fallen away..he got around 15m ahead of me and i tried to hold it there..the climb started getting severe now and I was in the lightest gear plugging away for a few km..still keeping him in sights (the rain was still pelting down) got to the top of the climb at around 17k gone and once i started decending I started passing loads again, it was hard to see with the rain but i threw caution to the wind and flew downhill, was passing loads again for awhile but never shook that 1 guy that passed me earlier..he had a road bike with tri bars on and I had the tt bike..again to re-iterate ...we never drafted once..on the uphill sections he would fly passed me up the road a good 20-30metres ahead and on the downhill sections I would fly passed him and try drop him..after awhile there was no other bikes to overtake so I knew i was going well..At the 30k point there was only 7k left to home and it was all downhill so i pushed hard here to drop the guy on the road bike ...looked around after a few minutes and he was a good 100m behind me but some monster on a big tt bike pushing a very big gear was just overtaking me..I dropped back the required distance and tried hard to stay with him but we was a savage..he was the only guy that passed me during the cycle...delighted with how the cycle went and felt i gave it my all...
    Cycle..37k in 1hr6mins12secs 38/211 overall 12/40 in agegroup ...fastest cycle of the day was 1hr flat (very hilly course) so i was very happy with my time..
    t2..nearly fell off my bike at the dismount line as it came very fast, only got 1 foot out of the shoe so ran into transition with 1 shoe on and 1 shoe off..I was shocked to see how little bikes there were in transition..I knew now i was going well,, was probably 30 bikes in all there and this was a national series race :D..got on the runners(wet runners) and off I went.
    t2..54secs 60/211 overall 19/40 in agegroup
    Run....Why can there not be a swim/cycle duathlon :D.. felt fine during first km of the run, I was passed by 1 or 2 but I also passed 1 or 2 so I knew I was holding my position and definitely top 40...after 1k we crossed the road and headed up a back path...unfortunatley here is where my race finished...there was a big hill in front of us and I tried running up it but my lungs and legs were screaming, i ran out of steam massively and was walking before I knew it..I was shattered and really needed a gel or 3 to get me going again...got to the top of the hill and started running again but my legs were dead, I shuffled to the 5k turnaround point, nearly walked at each water station and crawled up each hill...once we turned around it was the same again , i was counting the km's down, I could run or leave myself go going down each downhill but at each climb I could only walk...I was being passed out by a steady stream of people the whole time, both men and women, I gave up counting once I counted 40 people passing me out...once i got back on the road for the last 1.5km flat I looked at my watch and saw that if I got off my arse and tried to move that I may break 2.23hrs for an olympic race...not a bad day out...I pushed the last km as hard as I could and passed a few people out again..crossed the line in 2hrs22mins09secs...a huge p.b. for an olympic distance race even if the cycle was short..looking at my time for the run I reckon the run course was short too,,I felt like i was at 50min/10k pace but my time was 47.46mins... looking at my overall times coming off the bike into the run it looks like i was disappointingly passed out by nearly 50 people in the run..
    Run 47.46mins...123/211 overall and 30/40 in agegroup

overall..2hrs22.07mins 80/211 overall 22/40 in agegroup..
    So after a fantastic p.b. in the swim and a good solid bike i had a dismal run..i'm hoping this was down to having no gels and maybe pushing too hard in the bike...still I'm happy with my time...2hrs22mins for an olympic distance race...not a bad days work...3 weeks off now and then 3 weekends in a row of racing..worlds end sprint...then Brian Boru Olympic then The Lost sheep Half Ironman distance :D, I know this is a long report but i hope you enjoy the read...any feedback on what may have happened during the run would be greatly appreciated..I'm hoping it was just the gels??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Congrats Trig a great days racing.
    I think you got fixated on the lack of Gels, you have dont longer in training with none, but because its a race we feel its a must to get around.

well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I've been having a bit of trouble with my running off the bike too. In training I'm running fast, even off the bike but once it gets to a race I seem to struggle. Last race I pulled it back a bit on the bike, usually push hard on the bike and overtake a good few. Took it bit easier on bike, not a huge amount though and really payed off on the run. Felt much fresher and even on a tough run course I felt good. I reckon I was around 2/3 mins slower on the bike but probably about 4/5 mins faster on the run. Think it's about finding the balance between a fast bike that you can run off and a fast bike that ruins your run.

• Advertisement

30/july/2013... Kids were away for a long weekend in Dublin (bliss) so we had to collect them in Roscrea on tuesday..used this as an excuse to get a cycle in... threw the bike into the back of the car and headed to Roscrea with the missus to collect the kids and said I'd cycle back to newport the long way...ie..Roscrea..Nenagh..Birdhill..Finnegans Roundabout.. and back into Newport..it was only when I was in the car heading to Roscrea that I realized how windy it was and that I was going to have an unmerciful headwind for the entire cycle bar the last 10k to newport..It was probably the hardest and most draining cycles I have ever done, my shoulder and neck were in bits after it??? not sure why:confused::confused:..the cycle was only 75k(felt like 150k) in total with 65k battling a vicious headwind.was surprised that i still managed to average 28.5kph for the full spin..

session : 75k cycle in 2hrs40mins 28.5kph

31/july/2013
    Another tough draining session today..plan was to increase my run distance for "The Lost Sheep" in 5 weeks so aimed to get 15k run done today..it was Flogging rain all morn so headed out with a rain jacket on..the minute I was off running the sun came out and baked me, i was sweating buckets after 2k..I planned to do this run nice and light but by 8k gone i was crawling at 5.30min/km pace and couldn't go any faster..the rain jacket was stuck to me, I needed to loose a few pounds anyway so left the jacket on for the rest of the run :o..it never rained once and the sun stayed out for the whole run...only managed 14k before i had to give up..a very slow disappointing time for 14k..1hr14mins 5.18mins/km pace.I would like to keep under 5min pace for the lost sheep..bit more training needed me thinks...

session 14k run 1hr14mins 5.18mins/km

1/Aug/2013
    Brick session- Went out to Killaloe today to do a swim/cycle brick session..plan was 1.9k swim followed by the tough 42k Brian boru tri cycle course (2 big hills) so went off for the swim and really enjoyed the first 17 mins of the swim as I was swimming Right to Left past the u.l. activity centre (with the wind)..turned around and it was a different story..waves breaking into my face, tough but manageable..took 36mins in total..slow transition onto bike and off i went on the cycle course..another horrible rainy day of battling wind, rain and hills.. pushed hard on the hills but took the rest of the cycle fairly easy, could not go hard on the downhill sections due to the wet roads so just tried to enjoy getting soaked to the skin on the downhills and push hard on the uphills..cycle took a slow 1hr35mins in total at 26.5kph...

sessions 1.9k swim 42k bike 36mins and 1hr35mins

2/Aug/2013
    Midnight run in work tonight...was a bit annoyed with my slow ass pace on the 14k run the other day so planned a fast(ish) 10k at work tonight...spent around 10mins stretching beforehand and trying to get my sports app to sync..eventually got it to sync and set off quick (another very humid night).. after 3mins3secs the sports app starts yapping saying "first km done in 3mins 3secs" I knew that was miles off so I wouldn't get a proper reading for a 10k..2nd km was 4.22mins which felt a bit more realistic..died a death after these with next 3kms at 4.48, 4.34 and 4.40 and km 6 at 4.58...I couldnt keep the legs going..I decided to just do 8k as I was wrecked, tried pushing the last km and did it in 4.30 ..I'm hoping its the humidity or something..my running seems to be off the boil since Kenmare last weekend... did the 8k in 37.37mins and that was as fast as I could go..4.42mins/km ?? hoping I'm not burned out..might have done a bit too much this week..may take a day off tomorrow

session 8k run 37.37mins 4.42mins/km

3/8/2013- took day off today, working nights and shattered
    4/8/2013- got up early today to go for a quick cycle before work this evening...all my cycles from now on will be on hilly courses due to "the lost sheep" in 5 weeks...so just 61k today ..Newport to Rearcross towards Upperchurch- turned at the 30k and back home again...averaged around 28kph for first 30.5k and 36kph for 2nd 30.5k...took 1hr54mins in total at 32kph average...

session 61k cycle 32kph 1hr54mins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Have you considered recovery as a strategy or is it a case of ad hoc days off preceding heavy days? You won't be driving hard up the 2 climbs for lost sheep. How about capping your training hills at a climbing effort and cadence you want to sustain on the day? Also try to finish your sessions comfortably, even if it means your average speed dropping by 2kmh over the last 10 mins ;)

Thanks for the advice Mike...need all I can get over the next few weeks training..have been concentrating over last few sessions on controlling my pace and finishing sessions comfortably.....

5/Aug/2013- Took another rest day today and used it as a quality family day as i had a long session planned tomorrow and alot of work and training to be done over next few weeks...went to Fota with the kids and had a good laugh for the day...

6/Aug/2013- Today was to be the longest brick session (actually the longest training session) I have ever done...plan was a long 80k bike followed by a 15k run, trying to control the bike at 30kph and the run at 5mins/km although the bike would be tough as the route chosen was a very hilly route taking in the full Brian Boru Olympic bike course(2 loops of the hill) so route was Newport..Birdhill on back road..Killaloe..twomilegate..Tuamgraney (via Brian boru hill) this was tough but clicked into the lightest gear and kept cadence high for the uphills, freewheeled down the downhill, back to to twomilegate again and back up the hill again..felt a bit easier 2nd time round..back to tuamgraney and back to killaloe..birdhill..and Newport ...was very tired after this...especially with over 857m of climbing in the 80k...had a 750ml of aldi energise tab drink which I took a drink from every 10k..got back to the house..cycle took me 2hrs45mins at 29kph..quick traisition ...on with the running shoes, quick pint of water and out the door...chose a course which was tough(uphill) for the first 5k but light(downhill) for the next 5k and pretty flat for the last 5k...really struggled for the first 5k...first km was fairly flat but it then started to climb until 5.4km gone- climbing 250m in 4k...splits for first 5k were 4.45mins/km, 4.55, 5.02, 5.14, 5.27... just when i was really struggling I got to the top of the hill and was relieved that i now had 5k of downhill/flat ..speed increased here slightly as i left myself go with the hills 4.57, 4.42, 4.42, 4.49 , 5.11(slight uphill) km 11 was ok too at 4.57...I was now over 3hrs30mins into my session and was really starting to feel tired but knowing i only had 4k to go i kept plodding along...ran past the house and ran in quickly to pour a few glasses of water over my head and drink another glass of water..last 4k were...5.22, 5.36, 5.35 and picked up the pace a bit for the last km in 4.55......run took 1hr16mins29secs in total at avg pace of 5.05mins/km and full session took just over 4hrs...legs were very sore afterwards but was delighted to get such a long session done and it gives me confidence facing " the lost sheep" in a few weeks

cycle: http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/d3emnrluspcmvu44

Run: http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/rhpasp0qg3uagip9

Session: Brick 80k cycle 15k run 4hrs2mins

7/aug/2013..
    Morn.... went for a nice swim this morn just to loosen the body out after the session yesterday..went out to worlds end and just swam downriver for 20mins..brought me to the regatta start (around 1k down) turned straight around and swam back again..swim back only took 18mins as it was with the flow...around 2k swim in total in 38mins

Evening... The local bike shop has started organising group cycles from Daly's cross to nenagh on a wednesday evening..my mate was planning heading over so I said I'd go for a light cycle, Cyled from the house..met up with himself and cycled over to Daly's cross, there was only around 9 of us in total (all shapes and sizes) so off they went, i just hung around for a few minutes to give me a few lads to catch..so i headed off anyway and caught up with a lad that was dropped almost immediately..chatted with him for a sec and asked did he want to sit on my wheel and I'll bring him back to the group but he said no..so off i went and met a few more lads that were dropped..tried bringing a few back to the leaders but everytime i looked over my shoulder they were gone. caught up with the main group(4 lads) after around 20mins with my mate in it, chatted for a few minutes, they told me there was 1 guy gone up the road so i said I'd catch up to him..caught him within a few minutes and he told me keep going and he'll try stay with me...I looked behind after a few mins and i was on my own...:o anyway I kept going to nenagh roundabout and said once I meet up with the group coming towards me I'd turn around again and join them...Problem was..there was no sign of them:eek:..went on for another few km until I met a few of the slower guys and my mate too..they said they turned at "the five alleys" and a group of the 3 strongest cyclists had pushed off hard together for the return cycle..I was feeling really good and enjoying the cycle so i said I'd push hard and see could i catch them...i was actually flying it now on the way home with most of my km's at 38-42kph, Did a 20k stint in 32.42mins 36.7kph but still there was no sign of the 3..As we came into birdhill i caught my first glimpse of them off in the distance but though i was running out of road now before daly's cross, anyway pushed hard again and started reeling them in fast..caught up with them and went past them at speed with around 1km to go but 1 guy (the fast guy) caught my wheel and drafted off me for the last km and went past me in the last 100m- fair play to him ( he was an old geezer too :eek:) anyway..waited around 10mins for my mate but there was no sign of him so cycled back towards him,, met up with him eventually and cycled slowly home with him, he was wrecked as it was the longest cycle he had ever done...

session :66k in total at 30kph 2hrs12mins (with a flatout 20kish in middle), also 2k swim in morn

8/aug/2013 Just a 40k flat cycle today at 32kph in 1hr15mins followed by a quick 2k run off in 9mins

session 40k cycle/ 2k run

9/aug/2013 planned a 12k run tonight in work but groin/hip and knee were all aching and sore so just did a 10k instead in 49mins, 4.55mins/km

session 10k run 49mins

10/Aug/2013
    25.1k cycle to work...felt good, 44.58mins 33.5kph

session: 25.1k cycle 44.58mins 33.5kph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

hi just came across ur log there, good read! i do shift work including nights and would be interested to know how u fit it in? im struggling to keep a routine (its really impossible cause my shifts change every week) and in trying to force myself out the door before a night shift, after a 13hr shift, etc. any tips?

Hi Roseybear...sounds like you do a similar shift to me..I do 5cycle...ie..12.15hr days and nights I do 4X12hr nights then few days off then 3X12hr days then 1 day off then 3X12hr nights then 3 days off then 4x12hr days then 1week off...I have around 50minutes for my break so that is usually enough time to fit in an 8k run and shower every 2nd shift..I also live 25km from work so I cycle to and from work every other shift..this is 2X25k cycles in 14hrs, the days i'm off I try do my long sessions and try get at least 1-2 swims per week(if possible)..it is possible but takes a bit of determination..the one thing I do lack because of my shift is a structured weekly training plan but I get by I suppose ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Hi Roseybear...sounds like you do a similar shift to me..I do 5cycle...ie..12.15hr days and nights I do 4X12hr nights then few days off then 3X12hr days then 1 day off then 3X12hr nights then 3 days off then 4x12hr days then 1week off...I have around 50minutes for my break so that is usually enough time to fit in an 8k run and shower every 2nd shift..I also live 25km from work so I cycle to and from work every other shift..this is 2X25k cycles in 14hrs, the days i'm off I try do my long sessions and try get at least 1-2 swims per week(if possible)..it is possible but takes a bit of determination..the one thing I do lack because of my shift is a structured weekly training plan but I get by I suppose ;)

So basically mtfu? :/ I have sessions made up for the week and just slot them in to what days suits me.. starting in a new place with the same shifts shortly that's 5km frm my house.. theres my recovery runs sorted anyways. On nights atm and really struggle t gt out, can face the runs and gym sessions ok but the bike and swim usually nvr happen when on nights. And thry r thr ones thst need the work.. im off to find some balls

11/Aug/2013- slow cycle home from work--very tired 25.8km in 1hr

12/Aug/2013- Had a practise run through of World-End sprint tri today...Had a nice swim but unsure of the distance as the buoys were not out, think i may have done around 800m, anyway swim took 15.41mins.. had wife and kids around keeping an eye on bike so got out of water, took wetsuit off fast, put on cycling shoes and then paused watch for a minute as I wanted to bring the sports-tracker with me and a cycling top..so anyway did all that, hopped on the bike and hit start again straight away..Bike was actually not that good..just didn't feel it, struggled the whole way round and was not happy with it, also had bit of headwind...course was a little short at 19.68KM..did it in 35.56mins at 32.9kph..cycled to the playground where the wife was waiting with my runners... left the bike and put runners on quickly...had the sports tracker on again so would hopefully get an accurate 5k reading..first km had a few drags and came in at 4.27mins/km, next km I thought the sports tracker skipped a beat or lost its connection because it gave me a 4.02mins/km. I actually started feeling really good here and felt i was running strong..next 2 kms were also strong at 4.12mins and 4.11mins, with last km to go I tried to push hard to go sub 21mins and did the last km in 4.01mins and actually finished exactly at the finish line...did the 5k in 20.54mins which i was happy with...did the tri in 1hr12mins24secs...hopefully I can knock around 3mins off that on race day and go sub 70mins....

session: Worlds End Tri practise..1hr12mins24secs

• Advertisement

13/8/2013...I was very disappointed with my 20k split in my practise tri yesterday so i had planned to do a 40k tt on my flatish tt route...haven't hit a p.b. for this route since my first 40k on my new tt bike back on 7th Aug 2012 so i thought it was about time i gave it a lash...today i had a different strategy though...usually I head out hard- flat out for first 10k whick is usually my fastest split and every subsequent split is slower- FADE AWAY :o.... today my plan was to control the 4 10k's and try hit the same split for each one and if possible do the last 10k fastest...so anyway I started off hard as usual but not total flat out...there was a slight head wind but nothing worth mentioning..route was Newport...Finnegans Roundabout...Birdhill...around the roundabout..back to Finnegans Roundabout and back to newport..48.5k in total but this was to be 40k race and 8.5k wind down....
    Hit the first 10k in 16.14mins- 37kph bang on...felt fine
    Hit the 2nd 10k in 16.12mins- another 37kph bang on and 32.29mins for 20k- still feeling fine
    Hit the 3rd 10k in 16.47mins -35.75kph- few drags in this 10k so was happy with that...30k in 49.17mins
    Hit the 4th 10k in 16.03mins- 37.4kph- delighted that this was my fastest split and the last km of this 40k was actually my fastest km..felt great afterwards and felt like i could keep going...did the 40k in 65.20mins 36.75kph beating my p.b. from over a year ago by 20secs...alot happier today with the way I approached this 40k and feel like i'm hopefully starting to peak at the right time for the 3 races coming up in few weeks

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/auvsoc1f7nuo762i

session : 40k tt p.b. 65.20mins 36.7kph , full cycle 48.5k in 1hr22mins 35.2kph

Advertisement