Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Trig1 wrote: »
    Sun 10th Nov....Another cycle today with local bike shop...around 8 people out, bit of a mixed group and a little frustrating... organiser of the cycle wanted everyone to stay together but everytime I cycled at a nice tempo (around 27-28kph) people kept falling off the back so kept having to reign it in,

I can just imagine the foam coming down your mouth having to plod along at that pace, they should put you on the restricted gears that the juniors have to use for any future group cycling :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Monday 11th Nov...Long day in work Monday- no opportunity to train and shattered after work so bed early.
    Tuesday 12th Nov...Brought my gear into work today to do a run at lunchtime...unfortunately had a mishap in work involving a cup of just poured boiling water at breakfast time being knocked over onto my runner..scalded my foot- straight into the nurses office and straight on with the burn-eze -- pretty bad burn with a few nice big blisters on the top of my foot and my big toe..ouch!!!:o:o...no running for me today..
    Wednesday 13th Nov...foot was good bit better today- that Burn-eze is magic stuff...still not good enough to go running with the blisters so did evening swim and tried again to stick with that masters group I was with last week...did 100m warm up then straight into a set of 3X200m and 4X100m with them...unfortunately this (for me) ended up being 1X200, 3 second breather then 1X800m :o, could not stay with them whatsoever (there was a woman in her late 50's at least going 2nd in the group)- I'm so slow!!!!, after another short breather they were straight into their next set of 400/300/200/100 , I decided to time this 400m so I would at least get a time for a 400m tt..did the 400m in 8.25mins and was nearly a full 50m behind them when i finished- I was shattered after it, took a minute to recover and then jumped on their tails again for the end on 200/200/100.. again it was a 500m piece for me...they were finished then- short and sweet...i got my kick buoy out and just did another 300m concentrating on technique but I was absolutely wrecked so called it a day..around 2300m in total

session: swim 2300m drills with 400m tt in 8mins25secs

Thursday 14th Nov..
    Still too many blisters to run so hopped on turbo for good Sufferfest session: local Hero... started with 5min warm up then straight into 3x6mins pyramid tt's, 1min at 7/10, 1min at 7.5/10, 2mins at 8/10, 1min at 7.5/10, 1min at 7/10, 2mins rest then same again x3...found this really tough but good workout for the legs, next up was 5x3mins racing at threshold 1st was high cadence throughout 7.5/10, 2nd was half/half High cadence then grinding at low cadence 8/10, 3rd was climb throughout- 3mins at cadence 75 (really hard)9/10, 4th was starting with climb at low cadence then flat high cadence 8/10, 5th was high cadende throughout 7.5/10, another 2mins rest then straight into 5X2mins sprints building at 1min at 7/10 30secs at 8/10 and 30secs flat out at 10/10...these were enjoyable but really hard...was wrecked after it but really good session..finished with 5mins warm down watching a "cycle-ball video:confused:"

Session: Sufferfest-local hero

Friday 15th Nov
    Still had the blisters on the top of my foot and big toe but decided to go for a midnight run in work tonight regardless..just a nice handy light 8k jog with 2x2mins hill sprints thrown in on the 4k route- 1 sprint per 4k..felt good during the sprints,rest of run was just nice and relaxed at around 5.15mins/km

session: 8k run 42mins oh and blisters are now gone!:(:)

Sat 16th Nov
    Sufferfest-hell hath no fury. working nights at moment so was in no mood for getting out on the road on the bike, just hopped on the turbo for 75mins..5 mins warm up then 5.30mins tempo with few bursts to get properly warmed then 2X 20min races with loads of climbing and sprinting involved going from 7/10 to flat out 10/10 with 7mins recovery between sessions, love this workout as it has a bit of everything in it...another 4mins recovery then finished it off with a 3.30min tt,went nearly flat out for this and felt really good, good solid session and sweating buckets after it..

session: sufferfest-hell hath no fury

So..Have a bit of time to myself at the moment so thought I'd have a look at next years calendar and fill out the races I hope to do...will probably have to look at streamlining this a bit as there are alot of races i wanna do next year....

23rd feb....Limerick Duathlon
    date tbd March...Keeper challenge Adv race A race
    16th March .....Banner Duathlon Shannon (hope it doesn't clash with keeper)
    10th May.......North tipp Sprint
    7th June........Tri an mhi Middle distance
    14th June.......Brian Boru 1000th anniv Sprint tri Killaloe
    28th June.......Hell of the west Olympic distance A race
    20th July........X-Terra Killaloe
    9th Aug..........Brian Boru Olympic distance
    23rd Aug........Worlds End Sprint
    30th Aug........The Lost sheep Middle distance A race

So 11 races throughout the season with 3 "A" races to peak for...Maybe I'm biting off more than i can chew?? any thoughts or advice anyone...
    I suppose putting it into more perspective...I did do 12 races this year too...3 duathlon sprints, 1 adv race, 3 tri sprints, 3 olympic distance, 1 middle distance and 1 10k run so should be ok :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Gosh, that does seem like a busy schedule. Too busy? I haven't a clue - I'm sure others on here would know WAY better than me....but if I were looking at it, I'd have to weigh in the travel time and cost, and how much it was taking from me and out of me training for my A races versus the experience, knowledge and enjoyment I was gaining from doing all of those events. :) Best to you on your decision making!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Planning to do the Keeper Challenge myself. We should hook up and cycle the course. I'm planning to run Keeper a couple of times over the winter too so I'll give you a shout

The only thing that looks odd is the half distance 3 weeks before Hell of the West as your summer A goal. With a sprint in between too :confused:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Gosh, that does seem like a busy schedule. Too busy? I haven't a clue - I'm sure others on here would know WAY better than me....but if I were looking at it, I'd have to weigh in the travel time and cost, and how much it was taking from me and out of me training for my A races versus the experience, knowledge and enjoyment I was gaining from doing all of those events. :) Best to you on your decision making!!

yes it does seem like a lot but i will use a few of these as training sessions...problem with majority of the races are that they are on my doorstep and i think it would be a waste not to do them...also the fact that I LOVE racing and love the rush from it :D

Planning to do the Keeper Challenge myself. We should hook up and cycle the course. I'm planning to run Keeper a couple of times over the winter too so I'll give you a shout

The only thing that looks odd is the half distance 3 weeks before Hell of the West as your summer A goal. With a sprint in between too :confused:

Hi Mike, definitely would be interested in hooking up for few keeper cycles and runs...I have a bit of a dilemma with the cycle this year and am gonna do a little experiment in the form of racing the cycle course on my road bike and racing the course on my tt bike and checking out the difference in time!...

the Half distance before Hell of the west is not set in stone yet! the bro is talking about doing a half distance next year (I suppose because I did one this year) he wont do Lost Sheep as its too "tough" :rolleyes: so he is targetting tri an mhi- flat course- i said I'd do it with him but that was when it was in May, now that it is in June we may re-think things!!- is 3 weeks enough recovery time after a middle distance before an A race Olympic distance?
    The sprint in between is nothing- just a training session

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

So..Have a bit of time to myself at the moment so thought I'd have a look at next years calendar and fill out the races I hope to do...will probably have to look at streamlining this a bit as there are alot of races i wanna do next year....

23rd feb....Limerick Duathlon
    date tbd March...Keeper challenge Adv race A race
    16th March .....Banner Duathlon Shannon (hope it doesn't clash with keeper)
    10th May.......North tipp Sprint
    7th June........Tri an mhi Middle distance
    14th June.......Brian Boru 1000th anniv Sprint tri Killaloe
    28th June.......Hell of the west Olympic distance A race
    20th July........X-Terra Killaloe
    9th Aug..........Brian Boru Olympic distance
    23rd Aug........Worlds End Sprint
    30th Aug........The Lost sheep Middle distance A race

So 11 races throughout the season with 3 "A" races to peak for...Maybe I'm biting off more than i can chew?? any thoughts or advice anyone...
    I suppose putting it into more perspective...I did do 12 races this year too...3 duathlon sprints, 1 adv race, 3 tri sprints, 3 olympic distance, 1 middle distance and 1 10k run so should be ok :(

Is the date for worlds end set then? Was missing from the race calendar

Doesn't lok too busy to me as my own is very very similar, few differences

mossym wrote: »
    Is the date for worlds end set then? Was missing from the race calendar

Doesn't lok too busy to me as my own is very very similar, few differences
    It was on the TI website when I checked yesterday so must be set now!

• Advertisement

Sun 17th Nov..
    Just another nice midnight run tonight in work...running going alot better at the moment- think it may have something to do with all the core work i'm doing at the moment (still doing my planks/press ups and chin ups before bed every day/night) but the running is going well..really concentrating on posture and keeping my back straight during running this seems to be having a knock on effect on my hip and groin..these were giving me alot of problems during the season as I was purposely leaning forward whilst running as i was told it would help me go faster :o.. anyway I went back to concentrating on form for the last month running and what do you know...my hip is hurting less and less every run and my groin pain is gone...tonight was the first time I've ran twice in 3 days in months and legs feel fine :D:D... running around the industrial estate at work at midnight in the middle of the road is curiously satisfying, no company except the hoards of rabbits running all around the estate at night..strangely they dont seem to be frightened by me...I keep day dreaming (or night dreaming ;)) whilst I'm running that the rabbits are going to gang up and attack me on one of the really dark stretches during the run...Rabbits...Hairy japanese b**tards..;).so if i'm mysteriously found dead during a night time run and half eaten you heard it here first.. anyway..8k ran in 38.37mins-4.49mins/km....I think I'm over-worked- i need sleep!!!

session : 8k run 4.49mins/km

It was on the TI website when I checked yesterday so must be set now!

really enjoyed it this year so was one of my races for this year, but a week before Lost Sheep which i was also planning on. ouch. have to think about that one.

no shortage of local races to us this year, it's making things harder rather than easier!!

any plans to do the bridhill run in early december?

really enjoyed it this year so was one of my races for this year, but a week before Lost Sheep which i was also planning on. ouch. have to think about that one.

no shortage of local races to us this year, it's making things harder rather than easier!!

any plans to do the bridhill run in early december?

Working that weekend unfortunately, would probably have given the half a shot otherwise..

Tues 19th Nov
    So...When does a HARD turbo session stop becoming a hard turbo session and start becoming self harm!!!!:confused: took the day off yesterday as I was feeling unwell so decided to do a tough session today so heating on ,extra top on and windows closed... Sufferfest Blender..100mins of torture..a lot in this so here goes...Started with 10mins warm up nice and handy 4/10 then straight into 10min race at threshold at mostly 7/10 (10 being flat out 1 being super light)at cadence 100 with some climbing thrown in at 8/10 cadence 80, 2mins recovery then 2mins attacking at 9/10 cadence 110+ (was wrecked at this stage Already :eek: another 2mins recovery then 8mins race at threshold at again mostly 7/10 with some hills thrown in, 2 mins recovery then 4mins road race finale at 8/10- very very tough, 2 mins recovery then surprise another 6mins road race finale at 7/10 then 4mins recovery...that was only the end of session 1 and I was wrecked..after the 4mins recovery went straight into {40secs attacking at 9/10 cadence 100+20secs light}x 6 starting to see stars after this one:o so fell of the bike quickly and opened the window and back on the bike, 2 mins recovery then {30secs attacking at 9/10,cadence 95+ 30secs light}x 6, 2mins recovery then {20secs all out sprint at 10/10,cadence 110+ 40secs light} x 6..4 mins recovery, legs were giving up the ghost after these and here is where the hard session ends and self harm started :o:cool:...next session was ...4mins tt at 7.5-8/10 cadence 100, 1min recovery:eek:, 4mins tt at 7.5-8/10 1min recovery:eek: and finally 4mins tt at 7.5-8/10 and 7mins recovery and that was that...I think I entered another plain of existence on the 2nd 4min tt..Felt I was floating over my body looking down on myself and my legs were looking up asking what have we done to deserve this?????:o:o swam out of the room after the session feeling a little delirious, a little happy and a little bit wanting to sit down and have a cry for myself...was it a good hard session or was it Self harm??? I got to the end anyway! ( I think)

Session :Sufferfest Blender- a whole loada pain 100mins

Wed 20th Nov
    Nice run today 13k run with first 5.5k uphill, next 5.5k on a nice gentle downhill slope and last 2k up a slight incline, just tried keep pace steady going uphill... first five km splits were...5.02, 4.58, 5.04, 5.12, 5.12, got over the top half way through next km and then kept a nice tempo for a couple of km's 4.57, 4.27, 4.23, 4.28, 4.40, 4.36, tried keeping tempo up for last 2k but was struggling a little... last 2k were 4.53 and 4.47... happy with the run and legs again felt good :D full run took 1hr2mins36secs 4.48mins/km
    session... 13k run 1hr2mins36secs

curious about one thing, most stuff i've read suggests that most people don't suggest doing sufferfest more than once a week at the very most as they are too hard a workout for every time. looks like you tackle them a lot more often than that.any fears that they're too hard? I've done one, the climbing one, and it's a tough session. Obviously you're well able for them, which goes against the advice?

curious about one thing, most stuff i've read suggests that most people don't suggest doing sufferfest more than once a week at the very most as they are too hard a workout for every time. looks like you tackle them a lot more often than that.any fears that they're too hard? I've done one, the climbing one, and it's a tough session. Obviously you're well able for them, which goes against the advice?

Hi Mossym
    I've never really thought about them being too hard or doing too many in a week, I love these sessions and from years of rowing I'm well used to doing hard sessions day after day. I have no fear whatsoever that they are too hard. I suppose its the bike that I'm strongest at that's why I do more bike work than anything else, stupid I know but maybe i'll get some sense soon :D

Hi Mossym
    . I have no fear whatsoever that they are too hard. :D

fair play, it's pretty obvious from your log you;re well able for them, was curious as it seems they're a flat out session very time. obviously works for you though so whatever works!!

Thurs 21st Nov 2k swim- just a load of 100m and 200m technical pieces, nothing major

Fri 22nd Nov- Wed 27th Nov Sick all week with Gastric, started feeling better tuesday but then had to wear a 24hr blood pressure monitor as in a recent work medical my blood pressure was high, thankfully all was fine, got the monitor off on Wednesday afternoon but didnt get chance to train as it was my birthday and had to do family stuff for the day followed by romantic meal with the wife that evening...

Thurs 28th Nov
    Had a bit too much wine on Wednesday night for my birthday so decided to break back into training slowly this evening with a pretty tough swim...did a tough pyramid of 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m, 400m, 300m, 200m, 100m went hard for the lot of them and only had 1minute rest between each piece, only really timed the 400m's with first 400m at 8.45mins.. felt I could do better in the 2nd 400m so controlled the first 200m of it and killed myself for the 2nd 200m of it and finished with time of 8.24mins- think thats a 400m p.b. for this season so far, the next 300,200,100 were very tough but got them all done and was wrecked after it

session 2k swim pyramid- 100,200,300,400,400,300,200,100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

happy belated birthday Trig.

• Advertisement

Fri 29th Nov
    Just a 6k run at lunchtime in work- nothing major, around 30mins- body felt good....

session : 6k run 28mins

`happy belated birthday trig.

Sunday 1st dec
    9k run during lunchtime in work...44mins felt tired

session: 9k run

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

New AG? Happy Birthday D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Did someone say birthday??!! :D What kind of cake did you have??

New AG? Happy Birthday D :)

How dare you :P , 2 years still until a new AG

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Did someone say birthday??!! :D What kind of cake did you have??

Dory you would have loved it, Raspberry and white chocolate cake!! yum

Tues 3rd Dec.. Sufferfest-Hell hath no fury- 70mins in total

Thats all! -good session

session- Sufferfest- Hell hath no fury

Wed 4th Dec- evening swim before work...wanted to join the masters group again tonight but unfortunately there was only 3 including me...they know i'm slow so i stayed at the back...i did 300m w/u then 1 set of 400/300/200/100 I was wrecked after the set and struggled to stay with them for the whole lot..they did 7.15mins for the 400m but I cannot take credit for that as when they had hit the wall and turned I jumped onto the back each time- prob 5-10metres short of the wall each time :o... anyway it was a good fast 1000m...after that because there was only 3 and i was SOOO slow they decided to do their own thing so I just did another 700m light to finish off a 2k set....I Will hit 100km's for swimming by the new year hopefully- at around 94k now on the SBR challenge!

session : 2k swim

• Advertisement

Thurs 5th Dec...good tempo 8k midnight run at work...felt good...hopefully my running speed is increasing?? 8k in 37.15mins 4.39mins/km

session: 8k run 37.15mins

Advertisement