Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

e30fitz wrote: »
    Just read through the whole thread interesting stuff are you doing the keeper challenge this year? Im trying it for the first time, looking forward to it.

Hi e30. Keeper is one of my favorite events of year but unfortunately due to injury I cannot race this year.. Enjoy.. Take the bike easy as the run is very tough

Wed 5th Mar 1 hour tt on turbo keeping hr between 135-140, expected this to be easy enough but it was actually really tough workout, perhaps it was due to the early morn session but found it difficult to keep heart rate up and was realy working hard to keep Heart rate above 135, stopped a few times to check was the heart rate strap on properly, really tough workout at average 135-140 hr

session : 1hr tt on turbo Hr < 140

Thurs 6th Mar 1hr turbo - sufferfest downward spiral, interesting hr readings on this...2mins hard 2mins light , 1.45mins hard 1.45mins light, 1.30mins hard 1.30mins light and so on to 15secs hard 15secs light, 5mins rest then same again... heart rate for for few intervals hit mid 150's for hard and around 115 for light..worked up to 164 for last few sessions and recovered to mid 130's for light pieces,, 5 mins light was back to 100's for hr, next interval set and after first 2mins hr was back up at 163+ (90% of max) and only recovering to high 130's for light, by the end of the set the heart was heaving and I was wrecked- hitting 166-167 for hard pieces and only recovering to high 150's:eek: for the light (was only 30 or 15 secs light though)... great session and really good workout for working the hrm.

session : 1hr turbo- sufferfest downward spiral

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Great news on the mother trig. keep the faith on the leg. if it doesn't work out i'll do the run legs for you on a couple of tris this year so you can keep racing, won;t be fast but we'll get it done:)

mossym wrote: »
    Great news on the mother trig. keep the faith on the leg. if it doesn't work out i'll do the run legs for you on a couple of tris this year so you can keep racing, won;t be fast but we'll get it done:)

Cheers Mossy
    Might hold you to that

Fri 7th Mar: spin on the tt bike today...got a new chain but didn't get new cassette!!! :( disaster- chain was slipping everytime I put pressure on the pedals, planned 80k but only did 60k,forst 40k was at av 130 bpm hr - nice and handy, last 20k chain must have got used to cassette as it wasn't slipping as much anymore so decided just to push the stretch from Limerick to Newport (strava segment which I have "king of the Hill" on ) and see if I can beat my p.b., went well on the stretch- pushed hard and hit heart rate of 167 for a lot of it, knocked nearly 1minute off my previous p.b. with an average speed of 38.7kph with chain slipping a few times... total spin was 60k in at 31.7kph

http://www.strava.com/activities/118430727/segments/2625807726

got in off the bike and just went for quick run - managed around 2.7k before leg started getting sore, its something I suppose...

session: 60k cycle, 2.7k run

• Advertisement

Sat 8th mar: 90 min on turbo trainer today at HR 125-130, nice handy session but still sweating buckets, weight going in the right direction thank god!!

session: 90mins turbo

Sun 9th Mar: Wife's birthday today so was gonna be difficult to get a session in as she was having an easy day and I was in charge of he kids and in charge of making her a birthday cake, anyway she said she was going into town for an hour or two so I jumped at the opportunity to get a quick turbo session in and what better session than Sufferfest Revolver.... 7min warm up then 16 X 1min flat out 1 min light, HRM on again and results looked like this...first 5 pieces were ok- Heart rate hitting 140-145 for the pieces and dropping to high 110's for light (I was going flat out at cadence 100+ for every piece), next 5 pieces saw the heart rate creeping up towards 156-157 and the light minutes were recovering to high 125's, legs were sore and lungs were heaving after 10 pieces but persevered for the next 6 with heart rate creeping up for every interval until it hit 167 for the last interval - was only recovering to 135ish during the last 6- great fast session and a great workout for the heart and lungs (and the legs).. hamstrings in bits after this one! stayed on the turbo for another 15mins just to get the hour done... quickly jumped off and showered and back into kitchen to google chocolate cake recipe's- managed to make a pretty decent chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream- a big slice of this later with the wife definitely added more calories than I burnt off during the session :D:D, it was worth it though, she was delighted with the cake and especially deighted with the decorations the children put on it....

1959627_4021547232619_747644079_n.jpg

Mon 10th Mar: Well today was gonna determine whether I can race banner duathlon at the weekend or not, have done limited running since Christmas due to calf injury (longest run has been around 3.5k) so todays ambitious plan was 4k run 22k cycle (on my hilly tt route) and 2k run... so set off at a decent pace (decent for me considering I haven't ran in ages) delighted to get it done without injury and happy enough with km splits of 4.36,4.36,4.37,4.53(uphill).. quick transition and onto the bike- chain came off within seconds (really annoying as I have just got new cassette and new chain) couldn't really push as hard as I wanted to on bike as chain still kept slipping (I think guy in shop put chain on backwards if that's possible {shimano writing is facing in instead of out??}) anyway was still able to do a decent enough speed on the bike on a hilly route- managed 21.6k in 40mins at 32.2kph- also got a "king of Mountain" on a section- giving me avg power on strava at 231watts when I couldn't push hard as chain kept slipping- anyone know if that's any good??..

http://www.strava.com/activities/119422838

so off the bike and back on with the runners for last 2k- did my fastest km here and felt good and was delighted to be running again- 2nd km was up slight gradient back home so was a bit slower- felt the calf twinge a little during this but was still able to keep going and finished the full workout :D:D:D:D:D the splits for the 2k were 4.28 and 4.49... Heart rate for first 4k was high 158 159's by finish of run, settled at 150ish for bike and up again to 160+ for last 2k....

Have entered the sprint race in Banner duathlon next weekend- first race of the year, cannot wait!!! not expecting much from the runs but there will be a showdown against the bro on the bike and i'm gonna kick ass :cool::cool: (I hope:()

Session: duathlon training session 4krun/21.6k bike/2krun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Great to see u back running. Make sure to sort the chain before the race so you can truly kick the brothers ass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^ My sentiments exactly!! :)

• Advertisement

Tues 11th Mar: 100mins tempo on turbo at HR 120-130, nice easy session as legs were tired after 9 days in a row on the bike :eek: .... still good sweaty session (trying to knock a few extra pounds off before hols on 16th Apr

session : 100 mins turbo

Wed 12th Mar: so after 10days on the bike and over 400k clocked up it was time to see how my bike speed was going.. plan was to do my 48.37k tt route at almost threshold (9/10) (as fast as I could basically)- p.b. for this route dates back to first day I took the new tt bike for its first spin- 48.3k in 1hr22.40mins at 35.1kph average, also got the bike back from the shop so needed to check it out... Route was Newport- Finnegans Roundabout-Birdhill roundabout- Finnegans Roundabout-and back to Newport- beautiful day for cycling!! so set off and :mad::mad: instantly my chain came off the bike!!! put it back on and tried to push hard and it slipped again...so took off slowly keeping the power applied but unfortunately not applying 100% pressure- chain kept slipping whenever I stood up/whenever I gave it welly or whenever I went over a bump.. with this in mind I still kept a solid pace for cycle...
    first 10k I clocked 16.03 mins - 37.4kph
    2nd 10k ..............16.41mins - 36kph
    thankfully not much of headwind or tailwind and heart rate was steady between 145-155
    3rd 10k ...............16.33mins - 36.2kph
    4th 10k ...............16.48mins - 35.7kph. Was delighted to do 4 sub 17min 10ks back to back with heart rate still hovering around 150bpm
    Legs really suffered in last 8k back home as it was mostly made up of long drags.. Hamstrings were screaming when I finished but I know if chain wasn't slipping I could have pushed harder
    Did last 8.78k(unsure how it was 400m longer:confused::confused:) in 16mins suffering big time at 33kph with Heart rate around 156.... didn't expect much with the chain slipping constantly but was absolutely shocked when I got home and looked at stats to see that I had actually beaten my previous p.b. set nearly 2 years ago....did the full 48.78kms in 1hr22:27 at 35.6kph compared to 48.37kms in 1hr22.40mins in Aug 2012 at 35.1kph..:cool:
    With more rest in the legs and the bike going well I reckon I could definitely knock a good chunk of time of that....Bike is gone back into the lbs again!!

p.s. Strava gave me an av power of 251watts for the full spin..again not sure if that's any good? average hr for spin was 149

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/derekbowen/gerpuj5hkasam291

session: 48.5k tt p.b. in 1hr22.27mins 35.6kph

Thurs 13th mar: Plan was 1hr swim but was kicked out of pool at 50mins as there was some international water polo game starting so 2300m swam in 50mins- 46 lengths of 50m pool.. body is tired so I think next 2 days I will take off in prep for race on Sunday, got another new chain on bike today- have to try it out again tonight when I get home from work! hopefully its sorted this time

session: 2.3k swim 50mins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I am totally new to this power/watt thingy in cycling, but I think you sort of need to figure what your watt/kg is for comparison purposes. So, how much do you weigh? Seems like some of the riders around here (Fazz, Bambaata) go 4+ watts/kg.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I am totally new to this power/watt thingy in cycling, but I think you sort of need to figure what your watt/kg is for comparison purposes. So, how much do you weigh? Seems like some of the riders around here (Fazz, Bambaata) go 4+ watts/kg.

I weigh too much unfortunately!!! around 87kgs at moment :(

well, how did the race go trig?

Well its been a long time coming but this is my first race report since "the lost sheep" last september due to injury...
    So managed a 4k run 22k cycle and 2k run last week so decided to enter the sprint race today.. plan was to take the first run handy- do around 4.30/km pace, push bike as hard as possible and hang in for last 2.5k... had the bike in bike shop all week, went out on it for 30secs friday and it felt ok so I thought I was ready..
    Pre Race. Race was at 1.30pm on Sunday so got up around 9am got all my stuff together- arrived out at the brothers in shannon around 11am and headed straight down to registration, arrived down to transition and went for a cycle on the bike with the bro as a warm up as I did not want to risk a run warm up... hopped on the bike and started cycling and immediately the chain fell off, put it back on and tried to push a big gear a little and the chain was just constantly slipping, hopped off the bike and felt like throwing it into a ditch. brought it back to transition where "the bike doctor" was setup.. brought the bike over to him and within 2 seconds he knew what was wrong...he said he had never seen teeth on a front chainring as worn as they were on my bike- if I want to race he said I would have to use the small front chain ring the whole way round :mad::mad: I was rightly pi$$ed off now after getting 2 new chains and a new cassette in the last week.... anyway nothing I could do about it now so off I went for a 10k warmup on the bike in the small ring and chain didn't slip once...brought bike into transition, set up my gear, did a few stretches and I was ready to race.

5k Run Started run off hardish due to nerves/butterflies etc.... felt ok so just controlled it a little, was being passed out by loads but didn't mind much, was just happy to be racing and I knew I would pass them out on bike (well I thought I would) run was going ok but heart rate was pretty high, 165 after 2.5k and by the end of the 5k it was closing in on 175 but I started feeling good towards end of the 5k and started reeling in alot of those ahead of me....did the 5k in 21.57mins at 4.23mins/km pace.. it was a good start as far as I was concerned but well down the field- 43rd/91

5k run - 21.57mins 4.23mins/km 43/91

Bike Started off well on bike overtaking around 5 straight away in first 30secs, wanted to start powering then but unfortunately tried putting bike into big ring and chain slipped off again, put chain back into small ring and spun the legs hard, was still constantly passing out loads on road bikes, went through the race in small ring for 75% of race,t was able to go into big ring on downhill sections as long as I didn't push too hard,tried to drive hard once but chain fell off again and it took me a few secs to get it back on, i was still passing everyone though, also it seemed like a headwind for the whole race, leaders were now coming back towards us and it gave me a boost to see the brother leading the pack, soon enough I also hit the turnaround, was hoping for a tailwind on the way back but it was also pretty much a headwind :confused: still kept driving hard and spinning hard and flew passed 1 or 2 big scalps, eventually I could see no one ahead of me- an empty road - and it as like that until I got back to transition- once I got back to transition I had a quick count of the bikes that were there and I counted only 8 bikes :D , even with my small ring I managed to pass out most people.. was delighted with the bike result...
    Winner of bike split was the bro with 40.09 secs, 1 guy in 2nd at 40.28, 1 guy in 3rd at 40.29 then me with 40.30mins, 4th fastest split overall on bike- 2 secs behind 2nd place and 20secs behind the bro-not bad consider chain fell off twice and I had to spin bike for the whole race in small front ring.. oh..the heart rate..I felt really good throughout the bike split but my heart rate was rediculous- my hrm was beeping for nearly all of the bike race- the hrm only beeps when it goes above my max heart rate for my age which is 182- heart rate for most of the bike leg was 183 :eek:

Bike 40.30mins 24.5km 36kph 4th/91

2nd RunKnew I was coming 9th or 10th at this stage so it was just a matter of holding people off for last 2.5km and hope the leg holds out, thankfully the leg felt fine but unfortunately they were like jelly, the heart rate was maxing at 184 and my lungs were screaming for oxygen I was struggling at 5mins/km and unfortunately with guys coming up behind me at sub 4mins per km it was only a matter of time before people started overtaking me, thankfully only 2 overtook me before the line, I was delighted to get to the finish line in 1 piece in a time of 12.43mins at 5.05mins/pm

run 2 12.43mins 5.05mins/km 36th/91

Overall- was hoping to be top 10 but with the bike not going well I had to settle for 12th in a time of 1hr15mins3secs- the bro finished in 3rd, Great to be back racing though and looking forward to the next race already ...

photo.php?fbid=556935124420928&set=a.556930764421364.1073741830.499967903450984&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=556935124420928&set=a.556930764421364.1073741830.499967903450984&type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Sounds like a great race Trig well done, you've been carrying a leg injury for some time and still managed to race hard, top 12 with no run training, v.impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good job there D well done. +1 on post above good that legs held out on the run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done on the race Trig. Would you normally have a low cadence and big gear? Know you like to power through the bike but from reading the race report a lower gear and spinning a bit might be setting you up better for the run, less chance of hurting the calf??

joey100 wrote: »
    Well done on the race Trig. Would you normally have a low cadence and big gear? Know you like to power through the bike but from reading the race report a lower gear and spinning a bit might be setting you up better for the run, less chance of hurting the calf??

Hi Joey, ya I'm a grinder- I like the heavy gears and pushing hard, I definitely hear what you are saying but I actually think my legs were worse off the other day after all the spinning- I was seriously fecked! I also know I definitely left the fastest bike split of the day behind me as I seriously lost buckets of time spinning the uphill sections and not being able to drive at full pelt on the downhill sections, not to mention chain coming off twice... anyway ordered new chainring today so bike should be fine for next race..

• Advertisement

quick update.... injured again since race.:(:o..cannot put any pressure on right foot (left foot has calf issue) outside of sole of my foot killing me- any time I put pressure on it I get serious pain, just about ok to walk around- exact same pain as I had after lost sheep..looks like its being caused somehow by combination of too much pressure on foot on pedals or runners??? fed up of this lark!

quick update due to not much training being done...
    thurs 20th Mar: foot felt ok today so decided to do a quick 5k run to test it out (wrong idea) planned 5 1k loops trying to increase pace every km for 4k then wind down last km, set off at steady pace- stopped after 2mins as foot was sore- should have turned around here but said I would persevere for another minute or 2 to see would pain go away- pain subsided as I warmed up so continued with session- session went well and calf (left leg) held up fine...splits for km's were... 4.55, 4.35, 4.19, 4.09 and 4.30 for last km as I started to wind down- felt good until I got to shower- foot started to get sore again and by end of night I was popping pain killers and hopping around in a lot of pain!!

http://www.strava.com/activities/122479995

session: 5k run 22:24mins

Sun 23rd Mar

after taking another 2 days off I said I would try a long light cycle on sunday, was hoping cycle would be ok as there was less impact on foot..planned a light 100k cycle at 30kph, was going ok for first 10k- nice easy at around 32-33kph- tt bike sorted with a new front chain-ring, unfortunately as cycle continued the foot again was getting worse and worse until I had to pull up at around 20k and cycle home very light..
    37.4k done in total with last 17k really light

http://www.strava.com/activities/123292152

working 4 12hr days this week so just going to rest the foot until Friday and see how it feels then- besides a swim on Wednesday that's probably all the training- thank god I don't have a race until june!

saw the update on strava trig. sorry to see that. could the foot be an issue compensating for the calf? I know myself it's near impossible to do, but at this stage maybe a couple of weeks of nothing, or even swim only would give the body a chance to heal properly?

mossym wrote: »
    saw the update on strava trig. sorry to see that. could the foot be an issue compensating for the calf? I know myself it's near impossible to do, but at this stage maybe a couple of weeks of nothing, or even swim only would give the body a chance to heal properly?

couple of weeks of swim only I think... :(

25th-Mar-2014 Swim tonight- was praying foot would be ok for this- plan was 100/200/300/400/500/400/300/200/100 with the 100/200/300/300/200/100 at race pace and 400/500/400 steady. set off well, good solid 100 at sub 2mins (my race pace :o) 200 at 3.58, good, 300 at 6.00 bang on and felt good- took the 400 handy and was glad for the break, foot was hurting but only when I was pushing off the wall so started pushing off the wall with 1 leg only, 500 went ok also but leg I was pushing off the wall with started cramping badly, next 400 I had to stop a few time as every time I pushed off the wall with the good leg it cramped, got into the 300 and went to push hard again but after 100 I got another unmerciful cramp so decided to call it a day... 2k swam in total...100/200/300/400/500/400/100.. something I suppose but still no running or cycling- foot still too sore. if there is no sign of improvement by Monday I think I'll go for x-ray..

session: 2k swim

if you're still in that level of pain its time to get it looked at

Foot starting to feel a little better... hopefully back training by end of week, going nuts at the moment..withdrawal symptoms

suppose I might as well put this in here for anyone that wants to know a little more about me...

Hoping to get back to some light training today.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057180665

So Foot is starting to feel better so back doing some light training , no running yet for another week or two but swimming and turbo seem to be ok anyway...

Thurs 3rd Apr
    Just a 1hr Solid swim- Just a nice steady pace throughout- went through 750m in just over 16mins, went through 1500m in just over 32.30mins, did 2700m in total in 1hr 13secs, nothing special but nice to get a longish swim done regardless.

session : 1hr swim 2700m

Fri 4th Apr
    A steady 70mins on turbo to test out foot today, kept intensity around 6.5/10 , A sweaty session but good to be doing something!

session: 70min steady turbo

• Advertisement

Sun 6th Apr
    2 hrs steady on turbo at H.R. 130 av watching replay of ITU Auckland from last night, foot ok, still delicate, not risking any running yet

session: 2hrs turbo

Advertisement