Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Tues 8th apr Long light cycle today just ensuring foot is ok... cycle from newport to castleconnel... parteen.. cratloe... over cratloe hill and back by meelick parteen.. out to killaloe then birdhill and home. Felt fine for most of it, legs were tired by the end as it was the longest spin I've done in ages... 100.2k in total in 3hrs40mins.. a handy 27.2kph with over 650metres of climbing, mostly over cratloe hillhttp://www.strava.com/activities/128081016

session..100k cycle 27.2kph

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice route! There is another climb up past cratloe woods entrance that's a good long slog, bringing you back to Meelick. Worth checking out next time

Wed 9th Apr
    Was invited to the Nenagh cc/tri clubs tt last night by solobally8 so went along to see how I was going, foot was still a bit delicate and I could feel the 100k in my legs so wasnt expecting much. arrived a bit early so just went out for a few km's on the bike to check everything over, did just around 6km, got back to the swimming pool and met Solobally8 (for the first time) and Huff n puff and a few others. Did around a 10k warm up with a group of 6 on the way to the start and had a nice chat with Solobally8. once we got to the start there was around 17 in total, 5 doing the long distance 19mile including huff n puff and the rest doing the 14mile including myself and solobally8, I set off around 6th or 7th in my group- felt good but it was a tough drag for a few kms out to the turnaround, felt I was going really well until some guy on a savage tt bike wearing a skin suit flew past me (he ended up getting lost though). I passed out the rest of the bunch and once we hit toomevara and the turnaround I was leading but unfortunately another lad passed me out shortly afterwards, he got around 30yards ahead down the road and then i decided to push as hard as possible to catch him, at this stage we were going into a vicious headwind but we were still hitting around 40kph, I was at my limit but loving it, unfortunately no matter how much i tried to push to catch him he still stayed around 30 yards ahead to the finish line, found out later it was Keith Butler that I was trying to catch so I wasn't too upset :D . Did well and finished 2nd overall (due to the other lad going the wrong way..Did a time of 36.08mins for the 14miles- (22.6km) 37.5kph with a severe headwind for half of it. not a bad nights work. with warm up did around 40k in total

session: Nenagh tt 22.6km 36.08mins 37.5kph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Great to meet you last night. You were flying it. You impressed enough to get away with the pink gear alright :D
    Didn't get the chance to talk to you tonight, I was late to the start. How did it go? Ye seemed to be flying

was very tough.. 40kph average for the 37k route. Went with middle group but when the elite group caught us (after around 10k:eek:) I managed to stay with them for rest of spin. Extremely tough going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Pink gear!!???? :confused::eek:;):D Good for you. :)

Oh, and congrats on the 2nd place!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Nice result Trig,
    not sure on the Lampre gear, a bit to Italian:D

Thurs 10th Apr- nenagh summer race series.
    around 33 cyclists in total for the first night of this race series- a lot of big cyclists so decided to head off in the middle group, first group of 11 went off, then 4 mins later the 2nd group went off and then 90 secs later the elite group went off. pace was hectic from the beginning at over 40kph- after a couple of km our group of 11 was down to 5 already, I was at my limit and struggling- we were doing up and over and when I next had my turn at the front we were going up a long drag towards nenagh after birdhill roundabout- I pushed hard but when the rest went ahead again I missed the back wheel of the 4th cyclist and started falling back- kept pushing hard but gap started growing slowly. the elite group just came on me then and I tucked in with them, pushed hard to stay with them and we picked up the rest of my group on the way, the pace was hectic and once we turned around the nenagh roundabout the race really started- totally different from tri racing, loads of sprinting and re-grouping and sprinting again- my legs were in bits and my lungs were screaming- felt I was gonna puke a few times but I stayed with the front group the whole way until the sprint finish at the end- came around 10th overall in a very tough field but I was spent afterwards- Aaron O brien won it with Simon ryan 2nd then Huff n Puff and his brother and 5th was Ken Kennedy... really good training with average speed of 40+kph for the 36k- forgot to stop my strava for a few mins warm down..

http://www.strava.com/activities/128870575

estimated watts for the full cycle was 325 watts- think that's decent?

cycled around 60k in total with cycle to and cycle from course

session- Nenagh summer race series 36k at 40+kph

Sun 13th Apr
    Morning cycle with Keeper cycling club- 80k at around 29kph- nice handy spin

Mon 14th Apr
    cycle to and from work- 25k each way- 50k in total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

Great report Trig1, my heartrate increased a bit just reading it, imagining I was there. I'd love to give bike racing a go some day.

• Advertisement

You have real talent keeping in with those lads Trig. U have to be happy with yourself.
    The surges are the hardest part to get used to I think in bike racing. With each surge it gets harder and harder to stay on.

Are you going to limerick league tomorrow? I think it will be a long lonely spin for me :)

Solobally8 wrote: »
    You have real talent keeping in with those lads Trig. U have to be happy with yourself.
    The surges are the hardest part to get used to I think in bike racing. With each surge it gets harder and harder to stay on.

Are you going to limerick league tomorrow? I think it will be a long lonely spin for me :)

No road bike at the moment as mine is in the local bike shop. Also packing for hols tomorrow. 10 days in sunny Spain on Wednesday. Cannot wait

Just a quick check in front lovely Palma nova. Not much training being done. Loads of drinking and eating being done!!! 3 beautiful swims in ocean and 3 runs so far. Back Sunday :-)

ok quick update to get me back on track- still afraid to step on weighing scales after 10 days of all inclusive on hols- although to my credit I did get 4 swims and 3 runs in (yes I'm back running :D)

Fri 18th Apr- 30min light morn run along promenade in palma nova
    2k swim in palma nova bay with bro

Sat 19th Apr- 2k swim in palma nova bay with bro

Sun 20th Apr- 8k light mid day run in 25degree heat- 5.42mins/km- very hot

Tues 22nd Apr- 45min run along palma nova promenade and push up "cardiac hill"- around 8k again
    Thurs 24th Apr- 2.5k swim in palma bay with bro

Fri 25th Apr- 2k swim in palma nova bay with bro

Arrived home
    Sunday morn but was wrecked-
    Mon 28th Apr- did first 8k run at lunch time in work yesterday- longest run on home soil since Christmas :eek:- hopefully injuries are gone for now- no sat feed for first 2k but was happy to be tipping away averaging 4.49/km

http://www.strava.com/activities/135263797

So with these few runs under my belt I actually entered a few tris-
    up the creek and boruman in the first 2 weeks of june should set me up nicely for Kilkee last week of june- from there I may look at standard distance Xterra then worlds end and finally "the lost sheep" (entries opening tomorrow morn)

But for the moment I will be concentrating on maintaining my bike speed and increasing my swim and run speed!
    Good to be back !!:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Trig1 wrote: »
    Good to be back !!:D

lets hook up for that run so.....

Welcome back. So jealous of your holiday!

TT tonight?
    Summer league tomorrow night? :D

did you get a lost sheep entry? they went pretty fast

mossym wrote: »
    lets hook up for that run so.....

Could run from work at 2 tomorrow or 6 tomorrow if that suits? although looking at your 10k pace at joey I will probably be holding you back

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Welcome back. So jealous of your holiday!

TT tonight?
    Summer league tomorrow night? :D

Hi Solobally8
    Unfortunately I'm working my 4 12hr days this week but hopefully I will be out for tt and race series next week, oh and p.s. I'm now a member of Nenagh tri and cc clubs

did you get a lost sheep entry? they went pretty fast

Oh I'm in- was at computer at 8am waiting in anticipation!

• Advertisement

Hi Solobally8
    Unfortunately I'm working my 4 12hr days this week but hopefully I will be out for tt and race series next week, oh and p.s. I'm now a member of Nenagh tri and cc clubs

Excellent! I'm sure black and white will suit you almost as much as pink does :cool:

Wed 30th Apr- 2k swim in U.L after work, just a series of 100's and 200's -felt good.

session- 2k swim

Thurs 1st May- 6k lunchtime run at work- nice handy run stretching legs for Great Limerick Run 6mile on Sunday

http://www.strava.com/activities/136225899

session: 6k in 30mins

Thurs 1st May- 6k lunchtime run at work- nice handy run stretching legs for Great Limerick Run 6mile on Sunday

http://www.strava.com/activities/136225899

session: 6k in 30mins
    Are you part of the company team? I got roped into that

Are you part of the company team? I got roped into that

ya was part of work team

Fri 2nd may

Plan today was to do a hard 70k tt on the tt bike, had thoughts of trying to beat the 2hr mark for the 70k (which I haven't done yet)... went off steady and hard, although it was my first time on bike in 2 weeks I felt good... hit 10k in 16.08mins 37.2kph with a slight headwind, hit 20k in 32.52mins with average speed at this stage of 36.5kph... the 2 weeks of drinking and eating were taking their toll on me at this stage so I eased off a bit for the next 10k doing the third 10k in 18.42mins with speed of 32kph, average speed for the 30k was 34.9kph, I knew at this stage I was never gonna do the 70k in 2hrs, so I might as well get a good session done- did another tough 20k in 34.25mins with average speed of again 34.9kph for this 20k... I hit 1hr26mins for the 50k again giving me a speed of 34.9kph for the 50k-- I needed speed of 35kph to hit the 2hrs , my legs were dead at this stage and I had the hardest bit to go so I gave it a go anyway :D:D.
    Half way through my 6th 10k my Sports-tracker started throwing weird stats at me...the satellite link obviously fecked up because no way did I do km 54 at 103kmph or km 55 at 144kmph :eek::eek:....so after already doing 55km's I knew whatever final stats I got they would be wrong....I also died during kms 60-70, apparently I did the 10k from 50-60km in 15.28mins 38.8kph but I did the last 10k in 19.01mins 31.5kph...anyway I did the 70k in 2hrs0mins32secs 34.85kph (should probably knock 1 or 2 mins off that time for the fast km's

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/derekbowen/3t5lpuu316f4cv2l

Session: 73.2km in total in 2hrs8mins

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

that's savage cycling Trig1, you will scorch the HOW course

Pmaldini wrote: »
    that's savage cycling Trig1, you will scorch the HOW course

flat course really, need to be going faster for HOTW, especially seeing as I cannot swim or run :o:o

Sat 3rd May took the day off as I was racing GLR 6mile on Sunday and the legs were sore after the 70k yesterday..

Sun 4th may - GLR 6mile

Haven't done much running since Christmas (could honestly count the amount of runs I've done on 2 hands) and haven't ran over 8km's since Christmas due to various injuries but on talking to the bro and sis during the week I decided to enter the 6mile anyway, planned to use it as a training run, was gonna be optimistic and aimed at trying to do 4.30/km pace for the full run giving me ~45min/10km....

Got to the start and the place was buzzing- never experienced anything like this before and it was fantastic- around 10,000 people lining up for the 10k, buzzer went and we started moving, I started my watch as we went over the line...couldn't move for the first few hundred metres due to the volume of people but any time I saw a gap I sprinted for it, felt really good throughout the race and having such a crowd around me running with me felt great, passed out loads but was also being passed out by many too....splits for the first 5k were a bit of a surprise- expected 1st km to be a lot slower....4.29, 4.21, 4.34, 4.23, 4.37.. did the 5k in 22.13, expected this to set me up nicely for sub 45mins for the 6mile considering the 6mile in 300m less than 10k, still felt good in the next 5k and never really hit a slump, kept consistently hitting ~4.30/km with next 5 km splits at 4.29, 4.29, 4.35, 4.28 and 4.33 but either my strava was wrong or the course was actually 10km long as I ended up doing 45.47mins- really happy with this time but I'm puzzled with my strava as it had the course at 10.4kms- I know I went the long way at a few bends to avoid traffic but I hardly added over 500m to the course :eek:, anyway I was delighted to get the run done and bar a slight Achilles strain in the last 200m I got through it without injury.... came 297 overall and 79th in age group

http://www.strava.com/activities/137275756

Brother did another savage run in 36.30mins 22nd overall and 8th in agegroup

Mon 5th May... Legs were sore today after run, Achilles was very sore so nothing better to do than my first dip of the year in Irish waters...meant to be meeting a few at worlds end for swim this evening but unfortunately (BennyMul, MossyM and Pmaldini);) only 1 other turned up - Shotgun. The water was Baltic, did a few hundred metres warm up before shotgunmcos got in, and had bad brain freeze for first 5mins, Shotgun was taking his time getting in and I was only getting colder so I decided to head upriver myself, went around 500m up(a little bit passed the bend) feet were really cold and I was already 20mins in the water so decided to swim back towards shotgun, Swam another 150m towards him and stopped to look and he was right infront of me, he was cold also and had already done 6k :eek: that morn so we just headed back to the bank, I tried to stay on his toes, envious looking up to see he was doing backstroke and still pulling away:confused:, anyway got back to the bank after 32mins in the water, feet were the only things really cold (took them around 1hour to warm up), good to get back in the water though and will be there again next Monday at 6..

session ~1000m O.W. swim

• Advertisement

Tues 6th may

25K Cycle to work this morn and 25k cycle home from work in torrential rain this evening..like a drowned rat by the time I got home, good hard cycles though

sessions: 50k cycle to and from work

Advertisement