Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Wed 7th may I'm getting too old for this lark.... 10k run during lunch time in work today...nice handy run, felt good, kept splits around 5mins/km , Achilles felt a little tender after run at weekend but wasn't too bad, did the 10k in 48.40mins...4.53mins per km... doms that night were ridiculous, way worse than after the GLR, hips were in bits, knees in bits, Achilles in agony calves and thighs also very sore- foam roller was torture!!! anyone with any miracle cures? maybe time to start taking glucosamine again! anyway enough winging

session: 10k run in 48.40mins

http://www.strava.com/activities/138501347

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I wouldn't roll out DOMS. The muscle tissue is damaged enough as is. Bath, Epsom salts, light massage, arnica or polar ice, ibuprofen, light stretching...

Thurs 8th may- Nenagh Race Series (Race 5)
    Parked the car at Birdhill and went for around a 10k warm up with the lovely Rachel Clancy. It was a horrible night, misty and windy , got to the start in loads of time.....this was only my 2nd race with the group due to being on hols for the previous 2 weeks...group was split into 3 again with around 16 in the first group taking a 4min lead on the 2nd group- I went in the 2nd group and we had only 8 in our group and we only had a 2min lead on the scratch racers(they also had around 16 in their group) our group went off hard and got into a lovely leap frog rythym, we were cruising at 42kph+, I was a bit too eager at times when I took the lead, the lads had to tell me slow down a few times, also my group etiquette was a little lacking but I am learning and it was only my third time ever cycling in a group :o. Anyway we were going strong and I did not think we would be caught before Nenagh Roundabout but with a group of scratch A1 and A2 racers doing 47+kph to catch you the inevitable happened around 5km from nenagh roundabout... once they caught us the pace increased dramatically, they say in a peleton you only have to work around 50% - I would love to know who "they" are as I was at my max at this stage but I have to admit I was loving it, I looked at my speedo and we were doing 50kph for around 5k until we hit the roundabout, I was nearly dropped coming off the roundabout last time so I stayed near the front of the pack this time, the minute we came around the roundabout for the home stretch we hit a vicious headwind and driving rain, the pace slowed a bit but not too much. it was tough work coming back in the headwind but we were still pushing 38kph and at times over 40kph, I was nearly dropped a few times due to bursts of pace and I had to burst a lung a few times to catch a back wheel but thankfully I managed every time. within a few km's of the finish the pace dropped a lot and the tension started to mount, everyone was waiting for someone to make a break, a few people attempted to break but each time they were swallowed up pretty soon. we were coming to birdhill roundabout at this stage and I felt ok so I said what the hell.. I might as well go for the line and see what happens..I shot off hard and took the lead going around the roundabout but alas I shot off way too early (the novice in me), once I got around the roundabout and headed up the hill to the finish line my legs just packed up and went home :o:o with 500m to go, the whole group tore past me and I pedaled slowly to the line at 20kph. Anyway I loved the race and was only dropped in the sprint finish at the end so i'm delighted with that, these races are great training and I would highly recommend them to anyone, my strava did not pick up satellite until around 7k into the race but on checking out a few lads strava's that were in my group we averaged 41kph for the 36k race...

http://www.strava.com/activities/138945189

Session: Nenagh race series : 36k at 41kph (10k warm up)

Friday 9th May- Unfortunately missed a session
    Saturday 10th May- Had a very busy day today but didn't want to miss another session so got up early to go for cycle but unfortunately looked out the window and there was a gale blowing and it was lashing so hopped on the turbo for a hard hour of Sufferfest- Downward Spiral... good tough sprint session and I was hanging after it, was gonna do few km's running after it but rain was still pelting down.

session: Sufferfest- Downward Spiral

Sunday 11th may- Had the bro and his wife over Sat night for drinks- had too many drinks and suffered majorly Sunday- to make matters worse we also had the Sons 12th birthday- hungover with 16 12yr old boys wrecking the house for 2hrs- not a good combination- needless to say- another missed session!

Monday 12th May- A nice 10k night run around the industrial estate- just wanted to keep pace around 4.50mins/km - did the first 5k in 24.21mins with splits of 4.50/4.55/4.50/5.04/4.37, did 2nd 5k a little faster in 23.39 but I think satellite lost feed for a few mins as 1 of the kms came in at 4.18 but no way was I going that fast, next 5 splits were 4.18/5.03/4.46/5.07/4.24 a little all over the place but I'm still getting back into the swing of things with my running.

session:10k run in 47.57mins 4.47mins/km 10.3km ran in total

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I'm loving the Nenagh League myself I have to say. There is something strangely satisfying about pushing to the max like that and finding out what you're capeable of. Love cycling in the bunch at those speeds. See u tomorrow at the TT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Trig1 wrote: »
    Thurs 8th may- Nenagh Race Series (Race 5)
    Parked the car at Birdhill and went for around a 10k warm up with the lovely Rachel Clancy. It was a horrible night, misty and windy , got to the start in loads of time.....this was only my 2nd race with the group due to being on hols for the previous 2 weeks...group was split into 3 again with around 16 in the first group taking a 4min lead on the 2nd group- I went in the 2nd group and we had only 8 in our group and we only had a 2min lead on the scratch racers(they also had around 16 in their group) our group went off hard and got into a lovely leap frog rythym, we were cruising at 42kph+, I was a bit too eager at times when I took the lead, the lads had to tell me slow down a few times, also my group etiquette was a little lacking but I am learning and it was only my third time ever cycling in a group :o. Anyway we were going strong and I did not think we would be caught before Nenagh Roundabout but with a group of scratch A1 and A2 racers doing 47+kph to catch you the inevitable happened around 5km from nenagh roundabout... once they caught us the pace increased dramatically, they say in a peleton you only have to work around 50% - I would love to know who "they" are as I was at my max at this stage but I have to admit I was loving it, I looked at my speedo and we were doing 50kph for around 5k until we hit the roundabout, I was nearly dropped coming off the roundabout last time so I stayed near the front of the pack this time, the minute we came around the roundabout for the home stretch we hit a vicious headwind and driving rain, the pace slowed a bit but not too much. it was tough work coming back in the headwind but we were still pushing 38kph and at times over 40kph, I was nearly dropped a few times due to bursts of pace and I had to burst a lung a few times to catch a back wheel but thankfully I managed every time. within a few km's of the finish the pace dropped a lot and the tension started to mount, everyone was waiting for someone to make a break, a few people attempted to break but each time they were swallowed up pretty soon. we were coming to birdhill roundabout at this stage and I felt ok so I said what the hell.. I might as well go for the line and see what happens..I shot off hard and took the lead going around the roundabout but alas I shot off way too early (the novice in me), once I got around the roundabout and headed up the hill to the finish line my legs just packed up and went home :o:o with 500m to go, the whole group tore past me and I pedaled slowly to the line at 20kph. Anyway I loved the race and was only dropped in the sprint finish at the end so i'm delighted with that, these races are great training and I would highly recommend them to anyone, my strava did not pick up satellite until around 7k into the race but on checking out a few lads strava's that were in my group we averaged 41kph for the 36k race...
    Fair play Trig, it takes a bit of time to get used to riding in a pace line, wont be too long before you are told to start with the scratch group.

Also "they" are not really wrong:rolleyes:; the estimate energy savings drafting approximate 1% per mph.

• Advertisement

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I'm loving the Nenagh League myself I have to say. There is something strangely satisfying about pushing to the max like that and finding out what you're capeable of. Love cycling in the bunch at those speeds. See u tomorrow at the TT?

See you later, looks like it might be nice out for a change

Brief update....not going into much detail but needless to say not had a good run of things on the Bike...some decent racing training being done though...

Tues 13th May...Limerick cc summer series- Went in 2nd group-Racing well until chain came off, got chain back on and caught scratch group until chain came off again- ended up cycling around 15k home on my own, also did 10k warm up..

http://www.strava.com/activities/140734117

Session: around 47k cycling in total

Wed 14th May.... Nenagh TT series- Said I'd do the 30k tt tonight as 2 others were doing it including Huff n Puff, Took wrong turn (or never took the turn I was supposed to take)- did an extra km maybe, anyway- good hard session with a killer hill- 31k tt in 56mins... did 15k warm up

session: around 46k cycling in total

Thurs 15th may.... Nenagh Summer cycle series... 12k warm up- went in 2nd group again and was flying it and feeling good until...surprise surprise- my rear spoke broke and Bike buckled badly after 16k, another pi$$ed off 12k cycle home..

session: 40k cycle in total

http://www.strava.com/activities/141540849

Friday 16th may.... 13k run at 4.48mins/km

Saturday 17th May/Sunday 18th May- Hurt back doing garden so no training

Mon 19th may- Doc said it was ok to swim so did 50mins O.W. swimmimng at worlds end- around 2500m in total

Tues 20th May- Limerick Summer cycle series- arrived down for start of race - around 40 cyclists in total- 3 groups so decided to go off in middle group again- low and behold- just as the first group was starting I noticed my front wheel was flat- I had 4mins to change the tube before 2nd group went off , with the help of a guy from west clare cc. I managed to get the wheel changed and a small bit of air (checked to be 40psi after the race) just after the 2nd group headed off- I went off hard and tried to catch them for the first few km's but could not.. at birdhill the scratch group caught me so I stuck in with them, I was shattered and hanging on for dear life in with the scratch group.. I tried to share the work up front but a combination of trying to catch the 2nd group and having little air in front tyre was killing me. I was still hanging in though... fell off the back twice during race but support car helped me back on :D . Managed to stay with them for the whole race- absolutely wrecked after it. Average speed for the 36k race was 42kph. 16k warm up and 9k cycle home..

session: 61k cycle in total

http://www.strava.com/activities/143642651

Wed 21st May- Cycle with Keeper Cycling club

went 3.6k until my front tube and tyre exploded :eek: , rang the wife to bring another wheel ...enjoyable light cycle..
    56k in total at 30kph

http://www.strava.com/activities/144084375

Thurs 22nd May Nenagh Summer series race:

15k warm up- only 2 groups- went in 2nd group- flying it for 10k until chain came off again :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: got it back on and it just kept falling off- group were well out of sight, managed to fix it- cycled for a few km in the lashing rain- turned when I saw group coming back towards me, jumped back in with them on way home and had good last few km's... needless to say I got home and bought new front chainring--- disastrous 2 weeks racing

session: 52k cycled

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^^ Bless your heart. :(

Fri 23rd May... interval sprints.... around 2k warm up then 5 x 500m hill sprints then 1k cool down- around 7k in total... good session , first sprint session of the year..

http://www.strava.com/activities/144675407

session: 2k w.u 5X500m hill repeats 1k cool down

Sat 24th May- recovery day
    Sun 25th May- Nice 8k tempo run during lunch time in work- 4.44mins/km average- just under 38mins

session- 8k run

Mon 26th may- Long O.W. swim at worlds end - around 3k in total- did straight swim downriver for 25mins- swam furthest I've ever swam downriver- beyond regatta start- probably half way between regatta start and wires. took a breather and then swam back- doing some interval work on way back with 100 strokes hard 100 strokes easy (technique)- good session- 1hr in water in total and was pretty cold after it- around 3k done in total.

session: 3k o.w. swim

Tues 27th May- 49k tt- was gonna miss the evening cycle race today so decided to do a hard tt on my 48.4k route, plan was to go flat out for first 20k , take a breather then do a hard steady HIM pace for the remaining 28k... so set off hard- maybe a little too hard- did the first 10k in 15mins35secs at speed of 38.5kph, did the 20k in 32.16mins - 37.2kph for the 20k. took a bit of a breather as planned and then worked at a hard pace for the rest of the session..
    next 10k in 17.15mins - 34.8kph
    next 10k in 17.22mins- 34.5kph
    bit of a glitch happened somewhere with the app as I have this route done many times before and I know it is exactly 48.4k door to door but today it said I did 49.4k ??? anyway
    next 9.4k in 17.39mins - 32kph (faded a little here but this was drag home)
    Did the full route in 1hr24mins- 35kph

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/derekbowen/riu29c2kuvheoblv

session: 48.4k tt with 20k flat out- 20k in 32.16mins full session in 1hr24mins- 35kph

• Advertisement

Wed 28th May.... planned handy 13k run today but actual was a 5k run- calf went, then long 5k walk home....pretty annoyed...oh well

session: 5k run

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Its about 1500m down to the wires.

Some pretty fast cycling going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hope the calf is okay!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Wed 28th May.... planned handy 13k run today but actual was a 5k run- calf went, then long 5k walk home....pretty annoyed...oh well

session: 5k run

uh-oh. long term or short term injury? is hotw still okay?

mossym wrote: »
    uh-oh. long term or short term injury? is hotw still okay?

stopped straight away when I started feeling it go so hopefully not too much damage... Kilrush next weekend so we will see how that goes

fingers crossed for you. are you doing killaloe?

Thurs 29th May-
    Knew I could still cycle with the calf and didn't have much of a window due to work so planned to give my 21.6k hilly tt route a go... record for this was just under 39mins set some time last year, knew cycling was going well so gave it a lash.. felt great and was able to push hard and maintain a high speed on the uphill sections (which I've never been able to do before) got to the turnaround point and knew by my time I was going really well- hit a bit of a headwind on the way home but was still under the time for this section- got back into Newport and had to come to a complete stop as I got stuck behind a tractor on the main street- did a bit of traffic dodging and after a few car horns beeping at me I got going again- pushed the drag section home to record a time of 38.10mins- around 40secs taken off my p.b.- delighted with that time - sub 38mins is definitely for the taking- did the route at speed of 34kph- might not sound much but with a lot of hills and drags and 350metres of climbing in 21.6kms its a pretty tough course...

To race or not to race....
    Well after that tt I spent the Friday preparing the Kids and house for our weekend away (without the Kids)....
    spent the weekend drinking(on the lash) in Dingle- did a bit of indoor rock climbing and calf went again... working days now so no training again today..plan is Swim tomorrow- Cycle Thursday, cycle Friday, cycle Saturday- race a hard swim and a hard bike in Kilrush on Sunday and jog around the run course and hope the calf doesn't go...if it feels anyway like going I'm just gonna walk the course- not gonna risk Kilkee!!!

mossym wrote: »
    fingers crossed for you. are you doing killaloe?

Hoping to do Killaloe too!

nice effort at the weekend trig, that run wasn't a walk :)

Training has being going bad at the moment and motivation is at an all time low, this combined with a bad race at the weekend has really made me have a long hard look at what i'm up to!!

Have only done 2 training sessions in over a week leading up to Up the creek sprint tri..

5/jun/2014 did just a simple 20k tt cycle = felt ok for this, did the 20.4k route in 35.1kph

6/jun/2014 still afraid to run so planned a hard long bike, unfortunately got up that morn to torrential rain and howling wind so hopped on the turbo for Sufferfest - local hero warm up then 3X 6min tt pyramids with 2mins rest between each, 4 mins rest then 5X 3min at threshold with loads of climbing. few mis rest then a bucket load of sprinting- hard session and I was wrecked after it.

So was heading into Kilrush with a good level of bike fitness but no swim and run fitness whatsoever, and stupidly eating and drinking too much and weighing 90+ kg's... was not expecting much....oh and had a few too many drinks the night before the race (what a muppet!!!)

A very brief race report.....

headed down at a reasonable time due to race at 1.30pm, met up with the bro in Shannon and headed down with him (me pretty hungover)... set up transition fine, and off we went..

Swim: Was swimming up to start when hooter went, didn't lose much ground as I was just about at start anyway...swim went (what I thought was) good.. felt comfortable (maybe too comfortable) had a quick look at my watch with what I thought was 100m to go and watch was reading 11.30mins- was delighted with that and pushed hard for last bit but it never seemed to end, eventually when I was pulled out of water the watch read 15mins flat - was a little pi$$ed with that as I thought it was faster but I was only hoping for 15mins anyway so couldn't be too disappointed. Timing mat for swim must have been at entrance to transition (100m away) as my chip time for swim was 15.57mins

swim: 15.57mins 67/180

T1 No issues

Cycle: Cycle was very tough- an undulating course with a strong headwind thrown in, loads of hills , felt good and strong on the bike, was passed by 1 person only but passed him back out and dropped him, Bike felt ok but still knew I was carrying too much weight and I was suffering on the uphills- but passed out loads until there was no one in sight- I reckon I was close to top 15 after bike leg...also had a savage dismount at speed- got a big cheer for it at the dismount line:D still disappointed with bike split as the bro even beat me by 30secs

cycle: 39:27mins 9th/180

Run: This was gonna be unknown for me as I hadn't ran in nearly 10 days due to calf issues, wore calf supports and thankfully they did the trick, unfortunately I was wrecked at this stage and 3 guys who I ALWAYS beat passed me out in succession throughout the race, morale was low and I just wanted to get race over with.. finished run soaked to the skin in torrential rain,

Run: 22.37mins 80/180

Overall: 33rd/180 1hr20mins52secs

Very disappointed with race and felt "FAT".. a lot of training to be done before Kilkee in 3 weeks time....any positives.... 3 mates of mine had grins from ear to ear as they got a scalp on the day (me) I was delighted for them but I will be back with a vengeance in Kilkee.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!
    Me looking fat and in pain...
    10427227_537003923095631_8503254795088658201_n.jpg

• Advertisement

disappointed with 33rd in a race the go tri boys were out in force, and you're coming off an injury? what sort of reverse sandbagging is this?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done Trig
    + 1 on what mossym says

Monday 9th June

Swim/Bike brick session today... 2 x 750m open water swims at worlds end ...took 3 mins break between each, not sure of exact distance but reckon they were probably a little more than 750m... first 750m did hard and finished in 14.30mins, 2nd session did easier with a few hard 100 strokes thrown in- finished in just over 15mins. Onto the bike after swim for a quick 20k on the worlds end tri cycle course, road very bad for first and last km so speed down at average of 32kph but good session nonetheless

session: 2x750m swim and 20k bike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sounds like Kilrush will drive on the rest of your season. Hopefully your calf injury is sorted and you can get back running consistently.

soooooooo...killaloe? :)

or you going to keep the powder dry for Kilkee?

ok so ....big update....

Tues 10th June

44k cycle followed by 5k run, 44k cycle at 33.3kph

http://www.strava.com/activities/151840121

5k run at 4.48mins/km

session: 44k bike 5k run

Wed 11th June

Nenagh tri club Dromineer tri training

Full sprint tri tonight- swim 15.50mins including transition- dissapointed with that, cycle 30.45mins- flew the bike, run 22.45mins..... finished the full tri in 1hr10mins45secs.. delighted with that time and 5th overall on the night. good session

session nenagh training tri- 750m swim 19k bike 5k run

Thurs 12th June

Nenagh Summer series race: 17k warm up for race, 36.5k race- savage hard race finishing in a 1k uphill sprint, great tri training and finished in the lead bunch again, delighted with performance tonight!

http://www.strava.com/activities/152776136

10k cool down cycle..

session- 64k cycle incl Nenagh summer series

Fri 13th June

In UL activity centre for day- wall climbing, high ropes, kayaking and canoeing- good cross training day...

ok thats brought me up to Boruman tri...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Me looking fat and in pain...
    10427227_537003923095631_8503254795088658201_n.jpg

If you were hanging on to Ger Daly you were doing well! :)

good week of training done for this so was looking forward to it...
    beautiful day, got there early to setup in transition- met mossym and chatted with him for awhile, 1 scalp I was hoping to beat today, also met Boru tri guy who I usually beat but he beat me by 3 mins last week in kilrush so I was hoping to beat him too today...anyway we walked to the start of the swim through the town. got into the canal and we were off...
    Swim Didnt feel comfortable in the swim, felt out of breath and thought I was going too hard so lightened off a bit and concentrated on technique, ran aground at one stage and had to stand up and dive off again, eventually got to the end of the swim and was helped out of the water, I was fearing the worst when I looked down at the watch- I was shocked to see 12.53mins on the watch :eek::eek::eek: I just did my first ever sub 13min swim- ( we did have a flow with us but I'll take that) I was delighted and this really spurred me on, it was another few secs before I got to run over the timing mat and into transition thus the 13.21mins time for swim....

swim 13.21 mins 47th/130

Cycle Ok so- I knew I would do well here, main aim was to get past Mossym and boru guy as soon as I could, cycled really hard and passed loads on my way out, caught and passed Mossym after around 9k, thought to myself that would be the last I would see of him today (how wrong was I :o) took ages to get to the turnaround, this course was definitely longer than 20k, coming to turnaround I saw boru guy a bit ahead so I tried to push harder to catch him, eventually caught him with around 5k to go and tried to put as much time into him as possible, felt I did a savage bike and I would have been on for my first sub 70min sprint tri if the bike was not 23k instead of 20k,, coming into transition I heard the wife screaming at me "come on your coming 8th" wow i thought, I wonder could I hold this in the run :rolleyes: found out from the results I had the 3rd fastest bike of the day, only beaten by Dave R1 and huff n puff, delighted with that..

cycle 37.33 mins for 23k- 3rd/130

Coming into transition I saw boru guy was right behind me Damn!! I thought I put more time into him, thankfully there was no sign of Mossym, ok run hard i was thinking to myself but my legs felt heavy after the bike and this extra weight I'm carrying is rediculous, slowly but surely I started getting passed by a few people, kept looking behind me as I knew Boru guy was there and he was nearly upon me at this stage too, around 2k gone the inevitable happened- boru guy passed me but to my surprise passing him out at the same time was a very fast mossym bombing through..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10453427_10201036579595167_5174942613989501402_n.jpg

All I could do was laugh at this stage, ok my 2 rivals have passed me, now it was just a matter of trying to hold my position and finish as high up in the field as possible, really suffered in the last 2k and was unfortunately passed by a few more- need to get my running legs back!!!! eventually I got to the finish line and crossed it in 1hr15mins16secs, the 2 lads were waiting for me and we had a good chat afterwards, strolled back to transition with MossyM and had a god chat with him, he shocked me today- he was really flying it- congrats again to him- 13th overall in his first season :eek:
    My run really let me down again 22.52mins for the run and passed by 11 people.

Run: 22.52mins 52/130
    Overall 1hr15mins16secs 19th/130 4th in agegroup

Happy overall with result, delighted with swim and cycle, annoyed with run but it will come :)

onwards and upwards... had a few drinks that night watching the English Match the up early next morn for Rearcross 100k cycle, expected this to be a handy 30kph cycle, did not expect an A4 type race for the whole 100k but I relished it... it was in 2 different 50k loops with a quick food stop half way.
    over 100 cyclists headed off and pace was good and high straight away unlike most sportives, we were cruising at 35kph with a group of around 8 of us sharing all the work at the front, first 40k went by fast with group getting smaller and smaller, last 10k of both 50k's was a climb for around 6k then downhill into finish, at end of first loop a group of 4 broke away up the hill, I tried hard to catch them but they were to far gone, finished just behind them in the sprint for home, quick sandwich and cuppa and waited for alot of the group to come back together and then we went off again, av speed for first 50k was 34kph which included the big climb- nice for a sportive!! next 50k and the pace started off harder still, I stayed at the front again and it was the same 8 guys pushing the pace, on a long downhill techhnical section 1 guy broke away and got up the road, myself and 2 others broke to try catch him, we were flying now, looking at my speedo and we were doing 70kph flying around corners- felt great, we eventually caught up with him and 4 of us started working together, looked back and another group of 4 had caught up, few guys from kilmallock cycling club, 1 from west clare cc, 1 from paparee cc and 2 from jj kenneallys cc?? and myself, we starting working together and rolling over nicely keeping the speed at 43kph+ , really enjoyed this but once we got to hills there was only 3 of us doing all the work, me 1 kilmallock guy and raparee guy, got to the uphill section with 10k to go and I expected the lads who were not working to try make a break from here...My legs were also dead from the race yesterday and the first 90k, I sat in for 1 or 2 km's, pace was around 22kph now and no one seemed to be able to go any harder, I knew from going up this hill earlier that i was able to push around 26kph so I said to myself I might as well drop a few of these guys that are not working, I pushed hard brought speed up to 27kph for as long as I could, looked around again and now we were down to 4, thankfully it was the 4 that were doing all the work in the first place, myself, 2 kilmallock cc guys and Raparee guy, so 4k to go and few of us tried a few breaks to come home first but were reeled in each time, with around 500m to go I went for it as hard as I could, lads were still on my tail but with no real line at the finish I reckon I just about came in first :D:D:D , savage race for a sportive and we were all chuffed with it afterwards.. all 8 of the cc lads in the break came up to me saying I was too powerful, pushing a 53 11 gearing for most of the cycle, most of them saying i should give up the tri's and start A4 racing, I was delighted with this and felt like I had a bit of a big head :cool: anyway a great weekends training had

session: Rearcross 100k cycle

nice report trig. i particularly like the "nice race for a sportive bit" :)

fair play on holding that speed on the Sunday, i wouldn't have had that in the legs. you;re flying on the bike, never raced it but can't imagine A4 being an issue for you, not that you'd be there long

that pic is class, talk about capturing a moment in time perfectly

• Advertisement

Mon 16th June: Swim/Bike 1.8k open water swim followed by 40k bike- felt good

Tues 17th June: Bike/Run.. Limerick cc race followed by short run: My first one of these races a few weeks ago I was hanging on for dear life with the 2nd group off, tonight I felt good and strong and I was pushing at the front of the 2nd group for the whole spin, once the scratch group caught us I kept pushing with them, trying to make a few breaks myself and also reeling in a few breaks, I was actually racing this time instead of hanging on, once we got to the birdhill roundabout I clicked into a lighter gear to contest the sprint finish uphill but unfortunately pushed too hard whilst changing gear and the chain slipped.. no matter- I was delighted with my race , and did the Limerick cc circuit in a new p.b. time of 49.27mins for the 34.9km course...42.4kmph average.

http://www.strava.com/activities/154761327/segments/3571708903

cycled back to car and got on the running shoes- legs were very tired but I crawled around just 3.2kms at 4.53mins/km

Wed 18th June Swim/Bike
    timed another 1800m open water swim to coincide with a group going cycling from Keeper cc, planned to be finished the swim and on the tt bike 5mins after the group headed off on their cycle, swim went fine, onto the tt bike and just saw the group heading off on their cycle, I stopped for a few mins to let them get a bit of distance on me before I chased them down, what I didn't expect was a lady arriving asking "have they left already" and "are you cycling the same route??" so I did the nice thing and cycled with her for a few km's, we were going around 23kph so after around 10mins I explained to her that I was in training for a big race :o:) and I am going to try catch the group that headed off, so I went off hard on the tt bike, had a headwind for most of the route out to Nenagh roundabout, caught a few stragglers along the way but didn't catch the faster lads until well after the roundabout, was wrecked by the time I caught them, they then explained to me that they were cycling to the top of the birdhill to motorway hill and to the top of chapel hill- I was in pieces after doing the 2 of these (I actually fell off the bike going up chapel hill:o) good session though. 57km cycled in total at 31.3kph (includes around 6-7kms at 23kph)

http://www.strava.com/activities/155194148

Thurs 19th June: short cycle/longish run

Just a short cycle on hilly tt route today to warm the legs up for 10k run. went off hard on the bike, feeling good until I got to the turnaround, once I got to the turnaround I realized I had a headwind and legs just said - we have enough done this week and packed it in!! cycled slowly home to do the tt route in a miserable 30.6kph (I did get 1 "king of the mountain" on 1 section though) http://www.strava.com/activities/155417149
    Might have done a bit too much hard work this week because the legs felt like lead again when going on the run, planned 10k but when I was running past the house after 9kms I found myself just running in home...you can see from my splits how badly I suffered in the last few km's, did the 9km's at 5.00mins/km average
    http://www.strava.com/activities/155434720

Anyway- another brick session done.

Fri 20th June- just a nice session on the road bike today over a couple of easy hills, a route I haven't gone before but enjoyed it- Newport-Birdhill-Killaloe-Portroe-killaloe-birdhill and home- a nice leisurely 28.7kmph for the 58km spin although I did climb 537metres and got a 3rd overall on strava ballina to birdhill sprint.. might take a break from cycling tomorrow :) nearly 400km's cycled since last Saturday!

http://www.strava.com/activities/155846902/segments/3597857885

Advertisement