Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

first, that sucks on the ribs. LS will be a long day, i;d at least be getting them checked before i decided to race. not worth serious damage for one day out.

on the wheels, were they full carbon wheels or did they have a aluminium braking strip? if they were fully carbon, i.e. the braking surface was carbon you may have to have been using special brake blocks as heat and fully carbon wheels is a known issue.

wheels can be replaced, i;d make sure i get those ribs sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

mossym wrote: »
    first, that sucks on the ribs. LS will be a long day, i;d at least be getting them checked before i decided to race. not worth serious damage for one day out.

on the wheels, were they full carbon wheels or did they have a aluminium braking strip? if they were fully carbon, i.e. the braking surface was carbon you may have to have been using special brake blocks as heat and fully carbon wheels is a known issue.

wheels can be replaced, i;d make sure i get those ribs sorted

Sitting in docs waiting room at moment.
    On the wheels... Carbon rims but used the provided braking pads.. Suppose that's what I get for buying chinese imports

Trig1 wrote: »
    On the wheels... Carbon rims but used the provided braking pads.. Suppose that's what I get for buying chinese imports

i presume you've already been on to the supplier, not sure what joy you'll have but hopefully something

i;ve a set of mavic kysriums you're welcome to borrow for LS f you are stuck for a set of wheels. just let me know. can't give you the deep rims i'm afraid, they're in use. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

One of the first horror stories I have come across with the Chinese stuff. I had to drop out of Dublin myself a few years back with the ribs, its a real niggly injury, going uphill was a killer with them and theres not much respite for you in Kenmare. Still if they are only bruised they might be ok by next weekend - and you wont be losing or gaining any fitness at this stage by doing nothing.

You should be able to borrow a set of deep sections off someone from the club down there hopefully

i presume you've already been on to the supplier, not sure what joy you'll have but hopefully something

i;ve a set of mavic kysriums you're welcome to borrow for LS f you are stuck for a set of wheels. just let me know. can't give you the deep rims i'm afraid, they're in use. :)

Thanks but rear wheel is still ok and I have a pretty decent mavic cosmic elite front wheel so looks like I will be using that. Just out of docs... Bruised ribs, inflamed cartilidge and muscles... On anti inflammatorys diazepam (muscle relaxant???) and a difene gel. Still gonna race tomorrow ( yes i am a muppet) should be bit better for next weekend . Are you racing tomorrow mossym?

• Advertisement

Thanks but rear wheel is still ok and I have a pretty decent mavic cosmic elite front wheel so looks like I will be using that. Just out of docs... Bruised ribs, inflamed cartilidge and muscles... On anti inflammatorys diazepam (muscle relaxant???) and a difene gel. Still gonna race tomorrow ( yes i am a muppet) should be bit better for next weekend . Are you racing tomorrow mossym?

no offence trig, but are you seriously going to trust that back wheel after what happened the front? healy and caha? really? what happens if that one blows as well in the middle of the caha descent?

not racing tomorrow. not impressed by the money they were charging for a small sprint race, and deciced to vote with my feet, or lack of them being there more correctly. all 4 of the guys i did it was last year all took the same approach.

the fact that they reopend the early bird pricing this week for a flash sale was both going to piss off those that had already paid, and suggests their numbers are low. it's a good race, but i've no intention of supporting what i reckon is approaching a real rip off at this stage

no offence trig, but are you seriously going to trust that back wheel after what happened the front? healy and caha? really? what happens if that one blows as well in the middle of the caha descent?

Sh1t I never really thought of that. Dilemma!!! I will see how bike goes tomorrow. Won't be braking much in kenmare and decents are more winding . Yesterday was a long 3k straight decent with me slammed on brakes for full 3k. Will use front brakes more next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Sorry about the wheel and ribs (just catching up now) how did today go

I have a set off carbon brake blocks I have used with no problems if you want to borrow them.

Fri 22nd Aug Still extremely sore this morn and really undecided as to whether I was gonna race tomorrow or not, got my bike out and checked and cleaned it thoroughly (especially checking the back wheel) all looked ok so went down to worlds end to do a swim bike brick basically to see would I be able to race, just a 750m swim and a 20k bike on the course- swim felt ok but slow ~ 17mins for swim, bike was a bit uncomfortable but got it done- nice and light at around 29kph, after the bike I went over to registration to register for the race even though I was still 50/50 about racing

Got up the morn of the race and struggled to get out of the bed- ribs still extremely sore- am I being stupid racing today I was thinking to myself but I was still confident that if there was a tailwind on the course today that I could do my first sub 70mins sprint tri so went downstairs packed my gear popped a few anti inflammatorys and off I went... 2 years ago I did 71:21mins and came 19th, last year I did 70:47mins and came 23rd... was quietly hoping for top 15 today which would be my best ever sprint tri result- if I was able to run! it was a beautiful morning and race wasn't starting until 1pm so had loads of time to setup in the 2 different transition areas- took my time, relaxed, no nerves whatsoever today, if i had to pull out i would pull out in the run as the lost sheep is my main target and this is only a training session, on with my Nenagh tri club tri suit, on with the wetsuit and we were called into the flat calm water- I put the pain in my ribs out of my mind and off we went....

Swim there was 2 waves this year for the swim thankfully so not as many people in my way, I positioned myself well with not many people in front, the hooter went and off we went, I felt comfortable straight away in the swim and jumped from feet to feet, I knew from swimming here over the last few months that the flow was against us for first 375m and with us for last 375m so plan was simple- nice and controlled for first 375m and leather it for 2nd 375m but I was actually passing out loads in first 375m which was surprising, came around the buoy and while everyone else were staying huddled together near the line of buoys I went right out into the middle of the river into the flow and got into a lovely strong rythym- I really enjoyed this swim and forgot all about the pain in the ribs, I thought the swim was a bit long and with the fastest swim of the day being 11mins it was probably over 800m's.... exited the water in 14.25mins- happy enough with that, was even happier when I saw that I exited the water ahead of 2 lads that would usually be ahead of me at this stage so I knew I was going well

Swim 14.25mins 39/177 overall

T1 went smooth until I got a hopper when trying to mount my bike, a line of people at the mount line trying to mount so I ran passed them doing a flying mount but slipped and I was doing it and slapped off the ground- landed on both knees thankfully so didn't bang the ribs, got up straight away and off I went

Cycle Started passing people out straight away on the bike- got to the turn at daly's cross praying for a tailwind (anyone that knows this road knows there is a tailwind 95% of the time) unfortunately got on the road and we had a bloody headwind- looked like sub 70 was out the door again this year, anyway- pushed hard and passed loads- 1 guy passed me and went up the road a bit but I kept him in my sights and was determined to pass him again. turned at birdhill and had a bit of tailwind here so motored up the hill passing out more still, once I got over the hills coming towards montpelier I passed the west clare tri guy that passed me earlier- had a bit of a skid and wobble at the sharp turn at montpelier but held it and pushed hard for the last 8k, strangely I could see no one ahead of me anymore on this section (i thought to myself maybe I was leading :D as if ) got back into transition and was very very :eek::eek::eek: shocked to see probably 7 bikes at transition- I was definitely coming in the top 10 at this stage but heading into the unknown on the run...
    My bike split in 2012 with a tailwind was 32.47
    bike split last year with tailwind was 32.01
    bike split this year with a stupid headwind was 33.16

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordon_thomson/14834003718/in/set-72157646800792762/

Bike 33.16 4th/177 (3rd overall if you dont count relay team that came 3rd overall)

Run I knew going off on the run I was coming 7th or 8th so I just put the head down ignored the pain in the ribs and kept going... usually I get passed out by a steady stream of runners but not today, I pushed hard and actually started closing down the guy ahead of me... passed him out after around 1.5kms but west clare guy was closing me down fast, I kept pushing knowing the last half of the run is a nice downhill slope, west clare guy passed me but i tried to stay on his heels for as long as I could, once he passed me I reckoned I was coming 8th overall, another guy ahead was coming back towards me slowly but I was running out of ground , with 1 km to go I was feeling really good and running fast but 1 more guy passed me out which was putting me 9th I reckoned, I was still gaining on the guy ahead but with 500m to go I knew I wasn't going to catch him, I looked over my shoulder and I had a guy around 20m behind me closing fast, no way was I letting him pass me- I wanted this top 10 really badly- pushed as hard as I could for the line and nearly puked crossing it.. delighted when I saw my run split as its my first time ever beating 20mins for a 5k and it is a full 5k. delighted more with the fact that only 2 people passed me in the run :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordon_thomson/14834054598/in/set-72157646800792762

Run 19.48mins 27th/177 overall

I thought I definitely did top 10 but it then dawned on me that there was 2 waves :eek: what if some people in the 2nd wave were faster... I had a nervous wait for the results and when they came out I was over the moon...
    I knew I didnt break 70mins but I did the full tri in 70.56mins

Worlds end tri- 70.56mins 9th/177 (actually gonna say I was 8th individual home as a relay team came 3rd) Forgot all about the pain in the ribs during race, delighted to have raced it and delighted with my first ever sprint top 10, also thrilled to eventually go sub 20mins for a 5k run...hopefully sets me up well for The Lost Sheep next weekend....

Some more misfortune out on a spin the following day but thats another story :o

• Advertisement

nice one trig, great race given the week before. i sailed through castleconnell on sat morning, came back to nenagh on the n7 and noticed the head wind, knew it would have a big affect on the race. great effort there. the run has come on a long way since killaloe/hotw, not sure i could go sub 20 for a 5k.

Congrats Trig great result and savage run. Looks like you are buying the coffee Saturday :)

BennyMul wrote: »
    Congrats Trig great result and savage run. Looks like you are buying the coffee Saturday :)

Hhmmm we'll see about that until my next post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

Interesting to see the race from a slightly different view, I was the guy you were closing in on towards the end!

As I was on the way out of the housing estate, there was a group of around three or four on the way in (about 150m behind) and I could feel each one of you mentally painting a target on my back, so I dug deep and pushed as hard as I could to try and hold ye off. Ialso tried to stay with the west Clare guy but with 2k to go I could never hold that pace from that far out.

I ended up finishing just ahead at 8th overall (7th if you exclude the relay).

Interesting to see the race from a slightly different view, I was the guy you were closing in on towards the end!

As I was on the way out of the housing estate, there was a group of around three or four on the way in (about 150m behind) and I could feel each one of you mentally painting a target on my back, so I dug deep and pushed as hard as I could to try and hold ye off. Ialso tried to stay with the west Clare guy but with 2k to go I could never hold that pace from that far out.

I ended up finishing just ahead at 8th overall (7th if you exclude the relay).
    Ha ha. Fair play to you. I thought I would catch you but just ran out of road.... Go tri guy with the lovely pics with the daughter at the finish???

That was me, I printed out that picture and I'm going to hang it up just above the Turbo for inspiration. I'll never forget her little face as she came running out to me, it was one of the happiest moments of my life and to have a picture to capture that moment is just priceless.

That was me, I printed out that picture and I'm going to hang it up just above the Turbo for inspiration. I'll never forget her little face as she came running out to me, it was one of the happiest moments of my life and to have a picture to capture that moment is just priceless.

Had lunch with the guy who took the pics, i work with him .

Thanks Mossym, if you meet him again you can let him know how much I appreciate it. My wife was already in contact with him and he was pretty pleased with it himself. Trig1, apologies for hijacking your log.

Thanks Mossym, if you meet him again you can let him know how much I appreciate it. My wife was already in contact with him and he was pretty pleased with it himself. Trig1, apologies for hijacking your log.

it's alright, trig works with him too...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

Great thread lads ............. few Naas Tri Guys will be at the Lost Sheep Saturday ................... weather looking ok at this stage !

• Advertisement

Excellent ... It's a class photo and a great result! Well done again

I'm afraid the lost sheep might be a no go.. Had a fall off the bike on Sunday and fell right down on the handlebars with my chest. A lot of pain. Was hoping it would be ok but tried swimming tonight and it was extremely painful and slow. Did a bit of bike after that and chest was in bits after swim. Not sure what to do at moment. Ribs are ok now though :)

I'm afraid the lost sheep might be a no go.. Had a fall off the bike on Sunday and fell right down on the handlebars with my chest. A lot of pain. Was hoping it would be ok but tried swimming tonight and it was extremely painful and slow. Did a bit of bike after that and chest was in bits after swim. Not sure what to do at moment. Ribs are ok now though :)

that sucks. lots of races though, only one body. are you going to travel down anyway?

that sucks. lots of races though, only one body. are you going to travel down anyway?

Will travel and register anyway as it's a weekend away for myself and missus . Will probably do the race but swimming hurts a lot!!! So will swim easy bike easy and will probably not be able to do run. Pretty fed up at moment. Something torn I reckon

Will travel and register anyway as it's a weekend away for myself and missus . Will probably do the race but swimming hurts a lot!!! So will swim easy bike easy and will probably not be able to do run. Pretty fed up at moment. Something torn I reckon

i'm amazed at what you have put your body through...

just to avoid buying myself and bennymul a coffee..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You remind me of the Terminator, all messed up but still coming!

Sunday 24th Aug Day after worlds end sprint, ribs still pretty sore but feeling good and wanted to get another few hilly bikes in especially in this weather- wet and windy- planned an 80k cycle, went on the road bike today for a change- cycle was going ok, not too hard just getting the miles when I lost concentration for a split second at birdhill, went too tight around a bend with gravel on the ground and slap I was on the floor- felt an unmerciful pain in my chest straight away- just sat on the ground for 2 mins with a group of people staring at me but no one coming over to help, got up gingerly and checked the bike, brakes bent but all else looked ok, got back on and tried to cycle, (thankfully I fell on the opposite side to the sore ribs) elbow knee and hip on l.h.s. ached but chest was in agony, managed to cycle for 1-2more km's before I had to call in a day and ring the wife to collect me. 60k cycled

http://www.strava.com/activities/184705314

Mon 25th Aug no training- chest in bits

Tues 26th Aug Needed to see how bad chest actually was so went for a 70k cycle taking in my last Limerick cc race of the season... onl went in 2nd group as I didnt want to work too much... cycle didnt feel to bad as I was pretty stationary on the bike and race went well with me right up there at the finish contsting the sprint finish, did the 36k race at 41.6kph, did the 70k spin at 32.6kph - a little bit of renewed confidence that maybe I can race on saturday

http://www.strava.com/activities/185719709

Wed 27th Aug My last session before the lost sheep- chest very sore after last nights race but had to see was I able to swim and what was bike like afterwards so planned to go down to worlds end for a 2k swim and be back on time to meet the keeper cc group for their 50k cycle and do another cat and mouse game giving them 5mins with me on my tt bike.. started swimming and straight away I knew I was in trouble, I couldnt push my left arm through the water- it was complete agony- gave it another few min to see would it loosen out or would the pain subside, only got worse- turned around after around 500m and swam back to shore- the 1000m swim took me 23mins :(:(:( met up with the keeper lads and there was only 4 out tonight due to the rain and wind so I said I would give them a full 5 mins- the minute I went off I felt sore - it hurt to change the gears and hurt to breathe heavy.. still being the stupid ass I am (hindsight is great) I kept going to get the session done and to try catch them, anyway long story short- I never caught them and pain got worse and it was a miserable cycle- when I looked at stats afterwards they actually finished more than 5mins ahead of me- they averaged 31.6 and I averaged a miserable 30.7kph for the 51k.. at this stage I know I cannot race at weekend or if I do any aspirations on doing 5hrs or doing anywhere near last years times are out the window.... oh tried to run around 100m too and it was agony..

Thurs 28th Aug Went back to docs this morn- said I have badly bruised ribs again around my chest- She assumed I wasnt gonna race but I said I wanted to - she advised against it but as she has a husband that races she knew I was gonna race regardless- more diazepam (muscle relaxant) and difene prescribed and rest and heat between now and the race.

Fri 29th Aug Sitting here at moment typing thinking I was feeling a bit better (fooling myself) until I sneezed and I felt like someone just stuck a dagger in my chest, hurts to take a deep breath- Wife gone dropping children to inlaws , bike ready, gear ready, everything ready but myself- want so badly to race this race and my whole year has built up to it but I really dont think I will be able!! :( going to register and try race but I can see the swim being agony and me crawling out of the water 5mins slower than last year, the rest we'll just have to wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

All the best with it Trig - hopefully you make it around in one piece.

Either way, I'll be behind you:)

see you tonight sir, and dont think this "sore chest" is getting you out of buying coffee :)

• Advertisement

BennyMul wrote: »
    see you tonight sir, and dont think this "sore chest" is getting you out of buying coffee :)

yeah i'll be telling him exactly what i think of his sore ribs when he flys past me on the bike

Advertisement