Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Mon 20th Apr Well after the highs of yesterday there had to be a low to bring me back down to earth- run planned today but only lasted 2.8k before the calf went again so it looks like there is gonna be no Greal Limerick run for me this year.

Tues 21st Apr wasnt gonna make limerick summer league this evening so just did a 50k spin on my own in the morn, nice 50k spin in 1hr30mins- 33.3kph
    https://www.strava.com/activities/289707955

Wed 22nd Apr Nice cycle with the Keeper cc- 64k done in total including warm up and cool down at average 32.5kph

Thurs 23rd Light 30k cycle into and out of town to get few groceries

Thurs 23rd Apr- Nenagh cc summer league race 3- perfect conditions for racing tonight and after my performance in visit nenagh I decided I'm going to go in the scratch group from now on in both Limerick and Nenagh leagues... this was a very very fast night and with perfect conditions new course record speeds were set, I felt good and held my own with the scratch group for the night- average speed for myself for the course was 44.8kph :eek::eek: very fast and absolutely wrecked after it.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/291231828
    64k rode in total including warm up and cool down.

Friday 24th Apr- Monday 27th Apr Sick all weekend with some stomach issues- have to get procedure done in hospital next week which i'm not looking forward to.

Tues 28th Apr Limerick summer league race 3 Still wasnt feeling well and probably shouldnt have trained but wanted to try get something done - horrible , cold, wet, windy weather but headed to Limerick league regardless- only around 30 out so groups were pretty small but with most opting for 1st nd 2nd groups it only left 5 of us in the scratch group- we all worked really hard and were all in bits by the time we reached the 2nd group- we had a tailwid for first half of race but once we turned around Nenagh roundabout it was just torture, massive headwind, driving rain, hail, and no one wanting to roll over, it was just horrible but we stuck to it and managed to reel in the first group before the line, probably finished in top 8 somewhere, it was very slow at 39.1kph due to conditions.
    with warm up and wet, cold cycle home around 64k cycled in total.

Wed 29th Apr Stomach still not feeling best and definitely should not have raced yesterday- just did a lightish turbo session today watching last 90k of this years paris-roubaix- 2hrs15mins cycled - around 65k.

Thurs 30th Apr-Nenagh summer league race 4- big groups out tonight and some very strong cyclists in the scratch group including likes of Conor Hennebry, Aaron O Brien and Shane Scully so I knew pace would be hectic but we had a good big group of around 15 in the scratch group so I was confident of doing well even if I was feeling a bit under the weather- I was going well until we passed birdhill roundabout- I usually sit at the back for the drag past this and then start working again but unfortunately a guy a few bike lengths ahead of me lost a wheel and before I knew it there was 6 of us dropped at the back of the group- I pushed past the 5 guys to try regain contact but just couldnt make it over- lesson learned- keep an eye on whats going on. In fairness the 6 of us who were dropped still worked really hard for the whole session and ended up having a really good spin- never regained contact though, and just to add insult to injury my chain came off with around 1.5k to go.- anyway managed to get around in around 40kph. with warm up and cool down cycled around 60k in total.

Will give an update of the last few weeks tomorrow but here is a race report from todays race...
    Bit of a race report from St.Finbarrs GP in cork today.
    Arrived around 11.30, registered and got the bike together, quick spin to check everything was running smooth and off I went to the start, wasnt expecting much out of the race as it was a pretty hilly course... 6 x 11k loop with a leg zapping drag at end of each loop (think Nenagh cc summer league finish but longer).
    I looked around for any other Nenagh cc lads but unfortunately I was on my own today.It was also a small enough field with only around 60 racing. After a rolling start the race started on a downhill stretch at a hectic pace, i tucked in well and started pushing hard, average speed for first few km's was 45kph+ but this was all a downhill section, once we got through the downhill the pace settled as we started into a pretty severe headwind, few km's in this then around 4kms uphill to the finish of lap 1, still sitting at the front of the bunch after the first hill but it did hurt the legs- only 5 more laps to go! i was trying to come up with a race plan now as I knew I was not going to be able to contest the uphill sprint finish, I couldnt breakaway on the downhill, and it was going to be extremely difficult to breakaway on the flat as the only flat part had a stiff headwind, and I could forget about breaking away going uphill!!! lap 2 went ok.. few people jettisoned out the back but I was feeling good on most of the lap except the last climb which was zapping my legs, at the end of lap 3 there was a preme (intermediate sprint) for first 6 across the line, stupidly I contested this and killed my legs (crossed line in around 8th), 3 laps to go and my legs were now in bits, i was still holding on with the bunch but I decided to just sit in on this lap and recover but still the climb at the end of the lap was taking its toll . Lap 5 and I decided I needed to try a break and hope someone came with me so I accelerated coming off the downhill section into the flat with headwind - I got around 75m up the road but on looking back I was on my own and the group were closing so I sat up, end of lap 5 again zapped the legs, 1 lap to go what to do?? 1 or 2 people had broke away on this lap so the next person to break I would try go with them, on the flat I saw a limerick cc lad shoot up on the outside, he got around 25m away and was still going so I accelerated to catch him, I caught up with him and looked behind and we had around 50m, we worked hard for a few minutes but it was just too difficult into the headwind, we looked behind and the group were almost on us again so we sat up, with around 6k to go there was a few people scattered breaking away but the peleton were mowing them down, there was 1 lad up the road and it looked like he was not going to get caught, into the last 4k climb now and the pace was picking up, there wasnt much left now in the peleton as the climb had taken its toll, with around 200m to go people started winding up for the finish, I tried to go but unfortunately the legs were empty, I pushed as hard as I could but around 15 riders were going away from me and they were going to contest the points, I rolled across the line around top 20 but I was completely spent and legs were in bits.. I think I will look for a flat race next time!!! average pace was 37.5kph

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you're going to have to start doing a dunbar trig. go off right at the start, and tt your way home

only suggest it as you're just strong enough and stubborn enough to make it work:)

Fri 1st May...90 mins high cadence turbo watching tour of Yorkshire stage 1 last 60k
    Sat 2nd may - Tues 5th May Sick with Severe stomach cramps all weekend-
    Tues 5th May- 80 Mins turbo- Tour of Yorkshire stage 2 last 60k
    Wed 6th May- Quick hard turbo- 50mins- last 30k of Tour of Yorkshire stage 3- cadence 100+
    Thurs 7th May- Due to stomach issues I had to get a "procedure" in hospital Friday which involved me being unable to work or train Thursday (involved drinking 3 litres of horrible stuff! say no more)
    Fri 8th May- Hospital for day
    Sat 9th May- Just light 20k cycle
    Sun 10th May/Mon 11th May- Still under the weather
    Tues 12th May- Steady run to get back into swing of things- 8k at 4.46mins/km
    Wed 13th May- Club Duathlon- 5k run 19k bike 2.5k run, felt fine for this- first run was about 21.40, bike around 31mins and 2nd run around 9.30mins...1hr3mins30secs- around 4th overall- not bad considering the lack of training in the previous 2 weeks.
    Thurs 14th May- Doms
    Fri 15th May- Another attempt at a sub 2hr 70k- I've been attempting this for a few years but haven't managed it yet- didn't think I would get next to near it today as it was very wet and very windy- Had headwind for first 10k, nice tailwind for next 25k, horrible headwind and rain for next 25k and again a nice tailwind for last 10k.. the 10k splits were...1st 10k 16.36mins- 36.1kph, 2nd 10k- 15.05mins- 39.8kph- 20k done in 31.41mins, 3rd 10k- 16.49mins- 35.7kph and 48.31mins for first 30k.
    Next came the headwind- 4th 10k in 17.27mins- 34.4kph, 5th 10k in 18.46mins- 32kph, 6th 10k in 19.09mins- 31.3kph... so 60k had taken me 1hr43mins54secs- I basically had under 16mins for last 10k- with a tailwind I busted a gut and did the last 10k in 15.52mins at 37.8kph... managed to do the 70k in 1hr59mins47secs- 35.1kph- thrilled but in bits.
    Sat 16th may- light 22k leg loosener before Sundays race
    Sun 17th May- Bike race- St Finbars in Cork- race report above, 80k in total including warm up
    Mon 18th May- Light 8k run to loosen legs at 5.11mins/km

can i ask, more out of curiosity than anything, but the wisdom of a long and what appears to be flat out effort 2 days before a race?

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    can i ask, more out of curiosity than anything, but the wisdom of a long and what appears to be flat out effort 2 days before a race?

Race Sunday wasn't really planned. Was a last minute decision really. Not a big race anyway so plan would always have been to train through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Trig1 wrote: »
    Race Sunday wasn't really planned. Was a last minute decision really. Not a big race anyway so plan would always have been to train through it.

I would be more surprised if Trig did not do a hard session before a race :p

Tues 19th May a good hard turbo session-sufferfest- downward spiral, keeping cadence at 100+ for the intervals. only 1hour but wrecked after it.

Wed 20th may- My first interval running session in I don't know how long (could be years) plan was 1km warm up then 4 X 1km hard 1km light. was aiming for as close to 4min flat splits for the kms...these were extremely tough max heart rate intervals but I was pleasantly surprised with the splits...
    first 1 was 4.01mins/km, felt really tough but I knew I could go faster, light km's between each interval took around 5.30mins/km.
    2nd km was 3.53mins/km - don't know if I ever ran a km that fast before :o, Was wrecked after it but still felt good, still wanted to go faster again in the next one so from the off I pushed as hard as I could- came in on 3.48mins/km- delighted with that one but was wrecked- didn't think I could go any faster for the next one and tied up seriously towards the end but still came in under the 4min mark at 3.57mins/km- delighted with these and can see more in the near future- wrecked after the session though...
    total ran- 9.2kms in 44mins

Thurs 21st May- Nenagh Summer league race 7
    Legs were in bits after last 2 nights but I was still determined to go in the scratch group tonight... even with the wind and the rain there was still nearly 40 cyclist at the start line which was great to see. The first group went off with a 6min head start over the 2nd group, the 2nd group were very strong with around 20 in it, they had 2.15mins head start over the scratch group- we had around 15 in ours, with a tailwind for the first half the pace was gonna be hectic, we set off very hard and my chain started clicking(banging) straight away, it was jumping every revolution but there was nothing I could do about it now, it was loud and off putting but I was still able to persevere- we pushed hard and by the time we came to the turnaround point we had reduced the 2nd groups deficit to around 40secs, once we came around the roundabout we had a vicious headwind, we still worked hard and caught the 2 leading groups within around 6k of the finish, there was a few breaks but in the downhill stretch before the finish they were all easily caught, the drag to the finish line killed me again and I couldn't contest the sprint finish. did 42.5kph average for the 36k loop- a great training session!! with an 8k warm up -did around 44k in total

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Good man Trig, some great bike work going on here! Your running seems to be benefitting from it too.

On the running intervals, I was told by a running coach before that when your doing intervals you do the intervals to distance so your always running the same distance and aiming for consistent times and you do the recoveries to time. That way your recoveries stay consistent too. I know I used to take each recovery easier and easier to try and hold the times across the intervals. Not saying you done this but something to keep in mind going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

That noise off your bike was something else. I didn't realise it was yours till I read the report. Serious speed from the scratch group last night. Well done!

• Advertisement

Fri 22nd May- Sun 24th May- no training all weekend due to numerous issues.
    Mon 25th May- Hard 13k run with first 6k uphill, next 5k downhill and last 2k uphill- kept a good tempo for the full run with first 6k uphill averaging around 5.05mins/km, next 5k downhill averaging 4.30mins/km and last 2k drag at 4.42mins/km, good tough run at 4.48mins.km average.

Tues 26th May- Limerick summer league- scratch group
    17k warm up then a really hard 36k race- never caught the 2nd group as they had over 3mins on a depleted scratch group in wet conditions, excellent work out again at average 42kph for the 36k, with a 9k cycle home 62k cycled in total

Wed 27th May- Nenagh tri club training tri Dromineer...
    So a full run a the nenagh sprint tri course in dromineer tonight... did not expect much as I haven't swam in literally months but with boruman tri only 2 weeks away I think its time I started, so arrived down to see white horses on the lake which wasn't a good sign!!!:eek:, anyway after much debate with a few lads we decided to give the 750m swim a go- 375m straight out into the waves and 375m back with the waves, I was quite nervous as I haven't been in the open water since The lost sheep last year but I had to start somewhere :o, so into the water and it was nice and warm, started the watch and off I went, started swimming and immediately my goggles started leaking, so stopped and quickly adjusted, off I went again and goggles still leaking so stop and adjust again, the 6 lads I started with were now pulling away, I pushed hard to try and catch them, went to take a breath and took in a mouthful of water and stopped again to catch my breath, wtf!!! I started again and after another 10-15 strokes I stopped again as I was completely out of breath and the waves were relentlessly smashing off my face, I was in all sorts of trouble but persevered- could only manage around 15 strokes each time before I had to stop and catch a breather. I soon saw the other lads turnaround the buoy and start back so once they passed me I turned around and followed them, I was probably 50m shy of the 375m, once I turned around and started with the waves I felt a little better and swam a little better, didn't have to stop on the way back- I got to the pier and looked at my watch and the time read an embarrassing 18:00 mins :o:o, I had a good solid bike after that doing the 19k in 30mins flat averaging around 38kph and passing a good few of the lads, run was tough but solid enough at 22mins for the 5k, with the miserable 18mins for not even a 750m swim I still completed the course in 72mins(incl transitions)- not bad I suppose for someone who cannot swim:o. (think I need to learn to swim before Kilkee)

Thurs 28th May: Nenagh summer league- scratch group
    Another 17k warm up, only around 35 out tonight due to the wind and rain- around 10 in first group and 12-13 in both the 2nd and 3rd group, there was only a 2min gap this week between the scratch and the 2nd group so again we shot out of the blocks extremely hard, heart was pounding and struggling to hold the wheel for the first few km's but like Tuesday night once I got my 2nd wind I was fine and I am starting to work more and more the whole way round and starting to feel stronger on the bike.
    Tonight once we got to the turnaround point the 2nd group only had less than 30secs on us and they also nearly had the first group and with a vicious headwind for the last 18k it wasn't long before all 3 groups merged, I was still feeling good and quite strong into the headwind when unfortunately I punctured so that was my night over. Managed 25k before the puncture at 42.2kph

Fri 29th may- back at work for 4x12hr nights, planned just a nice light progressive 10k run tonight, tweaked the calf a little at 9.2k so stopped straight away, averaged just 5.12mins/km

Sat 30th May- calf still tender so took another day off

Sun 31st may.. not much time (working nights) but got a good hard turbo session done...sufferfest revolver- 16 X 1min flat out 1min light- keeping cadence at 95+ for every interval

Mon 1st june- 4th 12hr night, unable to run, shattered, took day off,

Tues 2nd June- Limerick Summer league scratch group- 17k warm up- very windy and wet and only 17 turned up so 2 groups- 5 went in first group- were given 7mins on a 12 man 2nd group, good hard session with a brutal head wind for the 2nd half, stayed with the group the whole way to contest the sprint finish. speed around 40kph for the 36k
    https://www.strava.com/activities/316915928
    another 9k cycle home in the rain to cool down.

Wed 3rd June- 1500m open water swim in Worlds end castleconnell followed by 19k TT on the TT bike around the worlds end tri course- good session. did the 19k tt at 35.5kph- not an all out effort but felt good.

Thurs 4th June- Nenagh sumer league scratch group
    nice 18k warm up- 3 groups tonight with around 40 cyclists in total, few big names around tonight including Simon Ryan so I knew it was going to be fast- felt really good from the start and rolled over for 90% on the route- feel I'm getting stronger and stronger each night at these races and going in the scratch group each night is standing to me. did the race circuit 35.8k at a fast 43.2kph (50mins13secs) and felt great after it...https://www.strava.com/activities/318329531
    9k cycle home to cool down.

Fri 5th June- back at work for the weekend so planned a run at lunch time- unfortunately only managed 0.9k before the calf went again- with Boruman in a week I don't know what to do now! nothing done.
    Did loads of foam rolling Friday evening after work

Sat 6th June- another day off as calf was pretty sore after all the foam rolling

Sun 7th June- decided to bring my bike to work and got out on it at lunch time as I needed to keep training and I cannot run at the moment. So just did laps of the industrial estate- a very technical cycle with loads of twists and turns and speed bumps but actually enjoyed it- did 27k in 49mins at 33kph- happy enough with that and a decent workout.

Mon 8th june- Another 1500m O.W. swim in worlds end followed by a 30k TT on the Boruman course, did the 30k tt at 34.6kph- would have liked to go faster but had a headwind for a lot of it.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/321274119

Tues 9th June- Limerick Summer league-scratch group- beautiful evening for cycling and there was loads at the league race tonight, first group got 6mins on the 2nd group and the 2nd group got 3 and 1/2 mins on a very strong scratch group- I knew tonight I would get a real test to see how good I was cycling- a very strong scratch group containing likes of Shane Scully, Sean Yelverton, Simon Ryan, to name but a few- we set off at a hectic pace and it never really settled, after 5mins I was at my limit, I was at the stage where I thought I was going to puke but I kept rolling, there was around 15 in the group and everyone was rolling and I wasn't going to be the one to sit at the back so I rolled nearly every time- up the hard drags that I usually don't roll on, I pushed myself to my limit and was able to hang on, but not just hang on - I was pushing hard every time and going as hard as the A1/top Junior cyclists, we got to the turnaround and we has reduced the deficit to a large 2nd group to a mere 30secs- we kept rolling and driving after the turnaround and we caught the 2nd group very soon, after another few minutes of rolling we had caught the first group too. The race basically started now once everyone was caught so the rolling over stopped and the breaks started, there was a few breaks but all were caught by a strong fast moving peleton. I stayed out the front with a few lads rolling for the rest of the race (from my point of view I didn't care about winning the training race- I just wanted to get the best workout possible for my legs before Saturdays race)- I killed my legs in the last few kms driving at the front as hard as I could, when everyone passed me in the last few 100m's to contest the sprint finish I didn't care- my work was done and I was delighted with my effort- I still pushed up the last hill to the line but it was a slow ascent- still it was an extremely fast race and I did the race circuit in 48mins20secs at 44.4kph
    https://www.strava.com/activities/321924063/segments/7608396513

Just did a 9k warm up and straight into the car after the race to head to work for a 12hr shift.

Wed 10th June- 1 more leg buster and lung opener before I start winding down for Saturdays race so just a quick 21.6k tt on my hilly tt route, my p.b. for this route was set last year when I was in flying form training for the last sheep at 36.16mins- 35.6kph, aim was to try get as close to this as possible, I was flying the first few kms and feeling great, pumping the legs and the uphills, felt I was on target when I was coming into murroe and I noticed a big sign saying "fire Brigade ahead" - I turned the corner (flying on a downhill section) and say the appliance sideways on the road blocking the whole road- I immediately slammed on the brakes and came to standstill, there was a tractor /combine harvester ablaze at the side of the road- I got off the bike and slowly walked past- 2 more appliances were on the other dine of the tractor, I made my way around them and back on the bike and off I went again- my P.B. was obviously out the window now. kept pushing the rest of the circuit but I also had a headwind on the return section which made it a tough cycle- I was shattered by the time I got home- did it in a slow 33.2kph 39mins but that includes walking for a minute. Happy with a good workout, no training tomorrow and maybe a swim Friday before my race Saturday- hope the leg holds out for the run!

So after taking Thursday and Friday off I was fine and refreshed and ready to race Saturday.
    Plan was simple- get through the swim with minimal swim training, go as hard as I can on the bike and see how I got on in the run and pray the calf holds out.
    So, arrived in good time, registered, shot the breeze with MossyM and a few more, was hoping to beat Mossy after he beat me last year, was also secretly hoping for a top 10 until I saw the field, a lot of top triathletes around so anything around top 20 and I would be very happy. So after the long walk down to swim start off we went into the water and off the hooter went with no warm up whatsoever.

Swim: I started really hard in the swim, perhaps too hard, but still people were passing me everywhere, I started getting out of breath very fast and I felt a tightness in the chest, I was struggling to catch my breath and my stroke was all over the place, before I knew it I pulled up to catch my breath, after a second or 2 off I went again, I was getting annoyed with myself that my swim was so bad, I felt I was trailing the first wave and being dropped badly, I knew I was going under the bridges soon and the family were on the bridge watching me so I tried to push hard again, I got through the bridges and again I found myself stopped to catch my breath, what the F**k was going on!! I'm not usually this bad! off I went again feeling a little embarrassed- I was gonna be coming out of the water at around 16mins I reckoned, I tried pushing hard for the last 100 or so metres but again my breathing was all over the place and I stopped a third time to catch my breath, with the swim finish in sight I pushed one final time to get the the steps out of the water, worst swim ever!!! I also had no watch on me so I was dreading the eventual swim time result. Once results came out I was fairly shocked to see a time of 13.45mins- thought I was a lot slower than that.

Bike: I was relishing the bike and I knew I had loads to catch- I got out of transition and hopped on the bike and immediately went past MossyM wtf??? something must have happened him as I was expecting him to have at least 2mins on me after the swim, I though GREAT!!! I definitely have him today, I can put at least 2mins on him in the bike and he will never catch me then! so off I went hard, I was flying past people straight away, roads were lovely and no headwind, after around 6km I looked at my speedo and it was reading an average of 42.5kph, I was loving this, I took the turn for O'Briens Bridge and got held up a little here as it was a no overtaking zone, once through O'Briens Bridge I put the foot down again and still kept the average speed at 41+kph, still going well until we hit a few small hill, I pushed up these, now onto the old Dublin road heading back towards birdhill and we had a bit of a headwind so the speed started dropping, I was concentrating hard on pushing the legs when out of no where and totally unexpectedly MossyM comes flying past me roaring something at me :):) he frightened the life out of me!!! I was shocked to say the least- I thought he would be well back by now, probably the first time I've been passed on the bike in a triathlon in a long time (fair play to you MossyM- that Disc wheel must be really fast :p:p) anyway after I got over my initial shock I wasn't gonna let it be that easy for him. I kept a nice 10m+ pace line behind him for awhile then I pushed hard past him again at the birdhill roundabout, I knew I wasn't going to drop him at this stage so I just kept pushing as hard as I could to at least make him hurt if he wanted to stay with me, we passed each other once or twice more and the return few km's from Birdhill to Ballina, I pushed once more to get into transition ahead of him (and also to ensure I had a faster bike split:cool:)..we had a good battle and it kept the average speed on the bike high with the speedo reading 39.1kph once I hopped off the bike. Bike time was 37.36mins and the 5th fastest bike split of the day (think Mossy had the 6th fastest- well done again) only beaten by Dunne, Sexton, STL and 1 more.

Run
    I got into transition and quickly got the runners on and was hoping to get out with Mossy- Got on right on his shoulder but immediately his cadence was a lot higher than mine and I started falling back straight away, I was still feeling good and going well, ran past a lad and he shouted your coming 13th- took me by surprise- I didn't expect to be that far up, crossed the bridge and I got a big cheer from the family, still coming 13th at this stage but I could hear a few sets of feet behind me and Mossy was out of sight, got passed by 2 at this stage, once I got to clarisford the calf started giving me trouble and felt like it was about to go so I had to ease off a little more, I was passed by another 5 or so in the last km but I didn't mind too much as I knew there was nothing I could do about it at this stage, I was happy to get the race done and delighted to run into the finish line with the kids.
    Finished in a time of 1hr15minsXX - 21st overall (18th Male-nothing to be proud of-beaten by 3 women) and 5th in agegroup. Did the 5k run in 22.12mins

Overall- really need more swim practice before Kilkee but I am there for 2 weeks on hols from the 20th so I will have a full week of of bay swimming before race, biking is going well, need to get calf sorted for running..anyway was a good race and another one under the belt

10428016_10202852643235623_145073778072773022_n.jpg?oh=e14174a4628b1f11031b07c9bd5072d3&oe=55F89B57

can borrow the disc if you like. just pick a race i'm not doing..:)

will be in kilkee for the week after the race if you fancy a spin some day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

mossym wrote: »
    can borrow the disc if you like. just pick a race i'm not doing..:)

will be in kilkee for the week after the race if you fancy a spin some day

Fair play Trig, nice happy heads crossing the line there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

That's a beautiful happy pic Trig, one to treasure. Well done, great racing :)

Sun 14th may- recovery
    Mon 15th may- 4 12hr days in work so minimal training- got out at lunchtime for few laps of estate on tt bike. ..27k in 48mins at 33.6kph.
    Tues 16th may- got away from work early to get the Limerick summer league done- after 9k warm up went in scratch group again- extremely fast tonight and I struggled the whole way to hang on but I did hang on- with a bit of a tailwind we managed nearly 46kph for the first half of the race out to nenagh roundabout, on the way back we had a tough headwind to manage but pace was still high and we caught the second group just after the roundabout- race started here but I didn't care about the race, I just kept driving at the front as much as I could to get a good workout for Kilkee, still hung in for the sprint finish up the hill but I was well back, did the 35.7k at 43.5kph in 49mins19secs. and was absolutely wrecked after it, https://www.strava.com/activities/326790857
    Wed 17th May- not much time today but managed to get another few laps of the estate done again on the roadbike , 22k done at 30.4kph 42mins.

Will try log again before kilkee but heading down for 2 weeks on saturday- 1 week of training before HOTW and 1 week of drinking after HOTW ;)

Sun 14th may- recovery
    Mon 15th may- 4 12hr days in work so minimal training- got out at lunchtime for few laps of estate on tt bike. ..27k in 48mins at 33.6kph.
    Tues 16th may- got away from work early to get the Limerick summer league done- after 9k warm up went in scratch group again- extremely fast tonight and I struggled the whole way to hang on but I did hang on- with a bit of a tailwind we managed nearly 46kph for the first half of the race out to nenagh roundabout, on the way back we had a tough headwind to manage but pace was still high and we caught the second group just after the roundabout- race started here but I didn't care about the race, I just kept driving at the front as much as I could to get a good workout for Kilkee, still hung in for the sprint finish up the hill but I was well back, did the 35.7k at 43.5kph in 49mins19secs. and was absolutely wrecked after it, https://www.strava.com/activities/326790857
    Wed 17th May- not much time today but managed to get another few laps of the estate done again on the roadbike , 22k done at 30.4kph 42mins.

Will try log again before kilkee but heading down for 2 weeks on saturday- 1 week of training before HOTW and 1 week of drinking after HOTW ;)

these were obviously supposed to be June not May!!

Thurs 18th June.. Hill reps- bike/run brick 30k bike as 6X5k hill reps up and down drag from birdhill roundabout to the motorway followed by 6k hard run up and down the same hill- bike was 31kph, run was 4.40mins/km av.

Fri 19th June- involved packing house to head to kilkee on hols for 2 weeks- no time to get any session in,
    Sat 20th june- Up early to finish packing and head to kilkee, arrived down and unpacked, got settled with the kids and headed to the beach for a swim, could not swim due to the amount of jellyfish in the water, ridiculous amount!!! waves were pink!!!- no session done
    Sun 21st june- nice long bike- 83km with loads of working on hills, legs felt strong, 83k down in 2.45hrs
    Mon 22nd June- Nice 10k run on the HOTW 10k run route, hadn't planned on going hard, just nice and solid- brother gave me a 4min head start and I just pipped him over the finish line- did the 10k in 45.45mins- probably fastest I've ran a 10k in awhile- but never felt like flat out!
    Tues 23rd June- nice 30min swim in kilkee bay- around 1500m in total.
    Wed 24th june- nothing much just light 17k cycle with the young lad
    Thurs 25th june- light early morn jog- 6.5k at 5.40mins/km, afternoon swam around 1000m in very rough conditions.
    Fri 26th june- nothing really- 5min swim in the bay, registered for race...

Day before- typically I was messing on the beach with the kids on Friday and I tweaked(hurt) my hamstring/abductor at top of hamstring- loads of massaging and tiger balm that evening but it was worrying me- anyway- nothing new here- my aim for the race was to try get a better position than last year- 189th last year- top 150 would be nice this year, a better time would be very difficult due to perfect conditions last year.
    Swim: morning of the race- all the usual, shot the breeze with Bennymul and Pmaldini, waited for my wave- wave 5 to be called and off we went down the beach, it was a running beach start so once the hooter went I started running and immediately felt the abductor starting to give out so I eased off straight away, unfortunately with every kick in the water the abductor started to hurt more and more so I decided to kick as little as possible and use the arms as much as possible, besides that the swim was pretty uneventful- a bit swelly but manageable- I knew it was a slow swim and when I saw 28.XX on the watch when I exited the water I wasn't surprised- I started running up the beach and immediately the hamstring flared up again so I jogged slowly again- by the time I reached the transtiton area the time was 29.55 mins
    Swim- 29.55mins- 421/843 overall 75/165 in agegroup

Cycle: Thankfully I had no ill effects from the hamstring on the bike so I motored the bike the whole way around the course as I did not know whether I would be able to do the run, I was loving the bike keeping the avg speed at well over 40kph until the turnaround- pace dropped at the turnaround but I was still comfortably pushing 36-38kph and passing out a steady stream of cyclists from the very start to the very finish, I powered up the last 2 hills and felt really good, came back into town with 1:12 on the watch- after doing 1:11 last year in beautiful conditions I was very happy with that time especially considering the headwind for last 18k,
    I opened the shoes and dismounted at just before the dismount line and unfortunately the impact of the dismount did more damage to the abductor on the left leg and also the abductor on the right.

cycle.. 1:13:10 - 40th/843 overall 6th/165 in agegroup

Run: I tried to run with the bike into transition but the legs were in too much pain so I hobbled slowly again, racked the bike and tried to put on the shoes, eventually got the shoes on and tried to run out of transition but stopped immediately with a lot of pain at the top of hamstrings, stretched for a few secs and off I went again but legs were too sore so I stopped and walked for awhile contemplating what to do, looked at my watch and it was reading 1hr45mins- I knew I had a good bike split and I wanted to beat the bro on the bike so I said I'd walk/hobble the course just to get a finishing time, so off I went, had to stop again once or twice in the first 2kms to stretch the legs, in a lot of pain but started getting used to it, after 2k I started to up the pace- the pain didn't get any worse so I kept tipping away, at the turnaround I was still moving and starting to increase the pace, I knew I had nothing to lose at this stage so I just let myself go, the pain was still there in both legs but it was bearable now- I pushed hard in the last 2k as I knew I would break 2.35hrs if I did. Shocked that I actually broke 50mins for the run considering I walked/hobbled the first 2k
    Run: 48.45mins- 337/843 68th in agegroup

Overall- 2hrs34mins22secs 146th/843- 23rd in agegroup
    11692766_10202946162493546_9008944867880356721_n.jpg?oh=2a6daac3c07feb0e074a93873c312b7e&oe=5610408A

Considering not being able to swim properly or run properly I'm pretty happy with the result I suppose, very happy with the cycle time considering the conditions. anyway that's Kilkee done for another year.
    Might not be doing it next year as I have committed to going long by entering Challenge Galway :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Great time all things considered Trig. I don't know how anyone 'hobbles' to a 48min 10K though. Yuo must have been a juggernaut coming down from the turnaround.

Well took most of the next week off as I was on hols in Kilkee with the family.
    did 1 cycle with the bro on the course on the 29th june- 47k in total at a handy 28kph. Besides that it was mostly relaxing and having a few too many beers for the rest of the week.
    Once I arrived home it was knuckle down time for the lost sheep and I now also had a year to my first Ironman (or challenge) so time to get serious, training began for the lost sheep on Sunday 5th July which gives me exactly 2 months of hard training- aim for the lost sheep was 4hrs55mins. I will have 2 sprint tri's between now and then but I am aiming to train through these as much as possible- 1 is this weekend coming- lough derg sprint and the other is Worlds end sprint- weekend before lost sheep. So since 5th July.....

5th July- Light progressive run just to get back into swing of things. 8k averaging 4.59mins/km splits starting at 5.10mins/km and finishing at 4.40mins/km

6th July- just a light 6k jog at work just to get something done

7th July- Limerick League- a very wet race tonight with only 9 people braving the conditions and only 6 finishing- came 3rd woo hoo ;) . its nights like this that will stand to you in a long race (I hope)..anyway 64k donw in total at 33kph- including warm up and cool down. race was done at 38.4kph

https://www.strava.com/activities/341158123

8th July- practice triathlon at dromineer
    ok swim, decent bike, decent run- came 2nd on the night but the big hitters from the club were not around. The sprint tri course is 1.7k shy of 20k on the bike but it's my first time beating 70mins for a sprint tri- did the course in 68mins and change- will be hoping for around 66mins on the day!

9th July- Nenagh league- big turnout- went in scratch group again- fast night but felt good and was in contention (for awhile) on the hill finish- good hard session and did the course at 43.5kph- with a good long hard warm up and keeping tempo high for cool down I got a good 70k of hard cycling done.

https://www.strava.com/activities/342545741

10th July- After 3 hard nights in a row the body was tired so just did a light recovery run today- 8k ran in 41.38mins at 5.09mins/km

11th July- Not much of a window for anything today but trying to continue to get something done everyday- a quick spin done on the bike 29k at 31.5kph.

12th July long run planned at HIM pace- plan is to increase the distance by 1-2k each week for next few weeks- todays runs was to be 14k at sub 5min pace- the run felt really good, practicing taking gels also so took 1 gel at 45mins. Did the 14k in 1hr8mins33secs- at 4.53mins/km

https://www.strava.com/activities/344627726

13th July- swim/bike brick down to worlds end for a 2k swim- felt really good in the water today and did a nice handy 2k swim in 37.36mins- quick transition onto the bike and did 2 laps of the worlds end tri course with a few extra km's thrown in at the end- felt pretty tired for this cycle- did the 46k at 31.5kph in 1hr30mins- a good 2hrs session done in total.

14th July- planned to go out on the bike today but started watching stage 10 of the TDF and was glued to it so just set up the bike on the turbo and off I went (bad idea) did the last 60k of todays stage and planned to match froomes cadence and resistance- I fell off the turbo 1hr50mins later absolutely wrecked (this was the stage where Froome pulled 2mins + away from everyone). great stage to watch and a great session!

sub 70 sprint goal done and dusted. Well done.

15th July 2015- missed session- working nights and wrecked
    16th July - nice steady tempo 10k- plan was to keep pace around 4.45min/km... felt very comfortable during this run - km splits were 4.45/4.44/4.41/4.42/4.38/4.39/4.30/4.44/4.39/4.17 (picked it up sligthly for last km. did the 10k in 46.30 and felt great.
    17th July nothing really, just a lot of foam rolling and stretching before tomorrows race.

18th July- Lough Derg Sprint tri 2015 race report.

pre race-this was my club race so I was hoping to do good here, some of the big guns from the club not racing so I was hoping I would be first home for the club today, got down early, registered,racked,contemplated putting bike shoes on the bike but decided against it and left them longside bike as usual, shot the breeze with mossym for while then got on the wetsuit and proceeded to the start-All along I was not counting this race as a sub 70min sprint attempt as the bike was only 18.3km and had done the course in 68mins in training but with a last minute change to the bike course to bring it up to the full 20km the attempt at the sub 70mins was back on although it would be tough as it is a very tough run course.

Swim...
    Was hoping for a pretty decent swim as the little swimming I have been doing of late has felt good so with 1 wave we were all herded into the water and off we went, first buoy seemed miles away but eventually got to it, a lot of pushing and shoving going around the buoy but I settled into a nice rythym again straight away and felt like I was moving well, got on someones heels who was moving well so stayed there until we got around the 2nd buoy, once around the second buoy I started pushing harder for the shore, found another set of feet that was also moving well so stayed on these until it was time to get up and exit the water, stood up and did a good exit passing 4 or 5 on the swim exit, checked the watch on the exit and it was reading 13.09- :eek: think that was my fastest ever sprint swim- by the time I crossed over the timing mat the time was 13.29mins- chuffed with that and sets me up well for the sub 70.

Swim... 13.29mins- 58th/180 21st/62 in agegroup

T1- got wetsuit off- no bother- on with the cycling shoes/helmet/glasses, run out with bike- attempt to mount and slip:o, attempt to mount 2nd time slip again:o:o and nearly pole-axe myself, bring bike over to footpath, mount slowly- clip in, lose 10-15secs and off I go slightly embarrassed- new cycling shoes are a lot slippier underneath than old ones hence no grip when attempting to mount {note: next time attach cycling shoes to bike}
    T1 54secs- does not include my slipping up time as that was after the mount line.

Bike- After my messing around on the mount line I set off as hard as I could to regain lost time, pushed hard into the first km drag but the legs started immediately screaming at me that I was going too hard- had a headwind and a drag and I was killing myself- had to ease off a bit to get my breath back, was still passing loads and was hoping to catch Mossym soon who I assumed was up the road!! After coming to the new section I saw another rival up the road (passed him in Kilkee and he stuck with me for a long while and even passed me out for awhile) this time I was going to burn past him and give him no opportunity to stay with me so I pushed hard on this new 5k section still passing loads, once we got back onto the road I knew I controlled it again as there was still a stiff headwind but immediately I was passed by none other than Mossy- I was shocked and surprised again, Surprised that I must have done a faster swim split than him which would be a first and shocked that he passed me out a such a pace which gave me the kick in the arse I needed to push on, I pushed hard to stay within 10metres of him and stayed in his pace line for awhile , once we were coming to the roundabout he slowed down too much and took it very wide so I took the opportunity to get inside him and push on. was hoping for a tailwind for the return journey but unfortunately it was more crosswind than tailwind still we could drive on harder than the first 10k, with a quick count of people before I arrived to the roundabout I reckoned there was around 20 ahead of me at this stage so kept driving hard to pick off as many as possible, myself and Mossy swapped pace lines every now and then but we were conscious of not drafting and I can honestly say both of us kept our distance from each other unless we were passing eachother out, that is until a third person whom we both passed decided to join us for the last 5k, it was very hard not to draft with him in the mix so I just tried to stay ahead but he kept pushing past me, anyway coming into Dromineer I got the feet out fast and pushed ahead whilst the other 2 were fumbling with their shoes :p and I did a really good dismount without any hiccups.

Bike...32.10 4th/180 1st/62 in agegroup (very happy with bike split but annoyed with first 7k of bike as I felt I wasn't pushing hard enough- got into a comfort zone)(beat Mossy by 4secs but its only a matter of time before he is faster on the bike- reckon he lost the 4 secs in the last 100m)

T2...33secs a good fast t2 with no issues and had umpire screaming 46.30mins on entering transition so reckoned I had the sub 70mins in the bag.Got shoes on fast and exited transition before Mossy.

Run... On looking around in transition I reckoned I was around 10th or 11th at this stage so aim was to try stay ahead of mossy for as long as I can and run hard. Unfortunatley as soon as I started running the legs seemed to give up, they felt heavy and I felt a little drained, Mossy passed me within the first 200m, I tried to stay with him but could not, the hill in the first km killed me and I was passed out by 2 more on this hill alone, once I got over the hill I felt a little better and pushed on on the downhill section but I knew I wasn't running well and time was ticking by! by the time I got to the turnaround Mossy was well up the road and 3-4 more had passed me. I had around 12mins to get under the 70mins, also reckoned I was around 17th or 18th at this stage. with a long drag ahead of me I struggled majorly from 2.5kms-4kms and was passed by 2 more, I felt sick and had no energy, even felt like walking at one stage until I got to the top of the drag, I looked behind me and there was no one for nearly 100m so I was glad that no one else would pass me, all I had left now was just under 1km of downhill to the line so I just let myself go for the downhill and crossed the line in 69mins23secs.
    11745742_10203044438110375_8915658637787462469_n.jpg?oh=ba5869758fe4909af93e0dd1f1deff07&oe=560FFAB8
    11208640_10203044439030398_3286525430633938662_n.jpg?oh=2de470d98e324cac286eecc7cca4c133&oe=564B3650
    Run... A slow 22.16mins 52nd/180 overall and 22nd/62 in agegroup
    This was one of the hardest 5k runs I have done in a while, felt physically drained from it but was delighted to get my first ever sub 70min sprint.(and I didn't get chicked)
    Overall 20th/180 , 7th/62 in agegroup and first home from Nenagh tri club.
    After thoughts- had a great swim, A solid 4th overall on the bike even beating the eventual winner by 4secs but a dismal run- need to get some more running under my belt before the lost sheep. Long Distance training begins this week!!

19th/20th july- off
    21st july - light 6k run avg 5.12mins/km
    22nd july- (working 4 days)- another run- still lightish, checking out new HRM- 8k at 4.58mins/km avg HR 142
    23rd July- Turbo- last 45km of TDF stage 18, warm sweaty session- 80mins of high cadence at 130 avg HR
    24th July- family day- missed session
    25th July- Long Hilly Brick session- 75k hilly TT followed by 7k run- bike 2hrs29mins, 30.3kph avg, 1800 ft elevation, avg HR 139. Felt tired on bike but felt really good on the run. Weird! Run 7k avg 4.44mins/km with avg HR of 153. 3hrs+ of a good hard session.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/353548140

https://www.strava.com/activities/353570114
    26th July- 50k cycle on TT bike after spending 2hrs bent over in the bog this was not the best of ideas- very sore lower back after this session, also very tired, avg speed for 50k- 32kph

Gutted this morning- [EMAIL="B@$tards"]B@$tards[/EMAIL] robbed my Road bike with my tt wheels on it out of my car!!!!
    11047603_10203083345763042_3618184627212359478_n.jpg?oh=3ef8c8c7554e90a208f15d13bbbae94c&oe=5654636C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Gutted this morning- [EMAIL="B@$tards"]B@$tards[/EMAIL] robbed my Road bike with my tt wheels on it out of my car!!!!
    11047603_10203083345763042_3618184627212359478_n.jpg?oh=3ef8c8c7554e90a208f15d13bbbae94c&oe=5654636C

****e, sorry Trig, was it outside your house? The amount of bikes getting robbed is ridiculous, how is there demand for them? What kind of people are buying knocked off bikes.

Since last post I actually got my bike back, Thank God!! muppets posted it on facebook and done deal for sale!!! so where were we....

Mon 27th July.. Analog 50k cycle- 57k in total- nice and easy starting off but ended up being a good session 29.5kph for the 57k

Tues 28th July/Wed 29th july.. Achilles and hamstring on the left leg have been very sore over last few days and getting worse so took these 2 days off to let it rest.

Thurs 30th July.. morn: 1500m swim in worlds end- felt lovely,
    evening- Nenagh CC summer league- Hamstring and Achilles were still a bit tender so decided for the first time this summer to go in the 2nd group- few other strong lads opted for the 2nd group tonight so we went extremely well and with a 4minute cushion on the scratch group we were never caught and I ended up coming 2nd on the night, delighted with that and leg felt fine.

Fri 31st july...
    Long Bike/run brick with the brother in Shannon 70k bike followed by 10k run- nice hilly bike route with 2000 ft of climbing followed by a high tempo 10k run - did a yearly p.b. for the run in 44.18mins very happy with these 2 sessions.

Sat 1st Aug a nice easy recovery 50k cycle avg HR 126

Sun 2nd Aug- At nieces christening last night so just a hungocer cycle today into town to collect my car- 23k at 32.5kph

Mon 3rd Aug- day off
    Tues 4th Aug another unscheduled day off
    Wed 5th Aug- made up for the missed days today with a long tri brick- 1500m o.w. swim followed by hard hilly 77k tt with 2500ft of climbing- avg HR 146, followed by tough 7k run in pi$$ing rain at 4.33mins/km and HR 163- 3hrs40mins in total including transitions.

Thurs 6th Aug- Nenagh league scratch group- felt good tonight and worked the whole way around - got into a break that was caught with only a few km's to go- legs dead for the last 1km climb but another great session. did a long 30k warm up for this 36k race and 10k cool down- 76km's in total- race was done at 42.2kph

Fri 7th Aug- long tough 16k run at 5.01mins/km avg HR 148.

Sat 8th Aug - long miserable 112km cycle in 4hrs averaging around 27kph- soaking wet and rained on for 2 full hours, not a nice cycle, avg HR 124

Sun 9th Aug: light 9k run at 5.10mins/km avg HR 138
    Mon 10th Aug: working 12hr nights at moment-so just another run - hard progressive run this time to see how running is going and glad to say I'm going well- started off at a decent tempo and kept increasing the speed until I was at max for the last km.- very happy with this test- first km was 4.40mins/km, 2. 4.35mins/km 3. 4.31mins/km 4. 4.29mins/km (starting to bite but still felt good and HR was still ok), 5. 4.24mins/km 6. 4.23mins/km 7. (uphill and hurting) 4.31mins/km 8. went for home on the last km. 4.01mins/km - again very happy with these splits and did the 8k in sub 35mins.
    Tues 11th Aug our 14th wedding anniversary- took the day off to spend with the missus
    Wed 12 Aug 65k cycle- went for a nice spin with Keeper cc, 65k in 1hr56mins at 33.3kph
    Thurs 13th Aug- Nenagh summer league scratch group- last Nenagh league of the summer and scratch group again, 3 groups, juniors went first with 9 mins over 2nd group, they in turn had 3 mins over the scratch group, being the last race of the season everyone wanted to do well so the pace was hectic from the start, I held in well and rolled over the whole way, we caught the 2nd group before the roundabout and caught the first group straight after the roundabout- the race really began now- with all groups together the pace slowed a little waiting for breaks- 1 break went up the road but unfortunately I was too far back in the group to see who was in the break- if I had known who was in it I would definitely have tried to break with them- Tri junior Kieran Jackson, Aichlinn O'Reilly and Shane scully- got a good 30secs on the group, I pushed hard at the front of the group with another 3-4 lads but we never caught them, I was spent by the time we got to the final climb but it was a great workout and great tri training for the summer- avg speed for the race was 43kph, 45k cycled in total including warm up.

Fri 14th Aug- had planned a run during lunchtime in work today but was way too busy, got no session done and was too wrecked by the time I got home to do anything.

Sat 15th Aug- nice long tempo run as part of my lost sheep training plan- 10miles (16.2k) at avg 4.50mins.km- did the 10miles in a p.b. of 1hr17.30mins

Sun 16th Aug- was expecting to feel stiff today after the run yesterday but the squeezy protein recovery shakes are doing wonders- got out for a spin during lunchtime in work but unfortunately the heavens opened and I was in the wrong gear- I was also doing laps of a very technical course around the industrial estate so I deciced to call it a day after only 6k

• Advertisement

Mon 17th Aug... long solo TT and another sub 2hr 70k, 83k in total at 34.4kph- 2hrs25mins, avg HR 143

Tues 18th Aug- day off

Wed 19th Aug - 40k solo TT at 36kph 1hr 7 mins in total, then a 9k light cycle home

Thurs-Sat- Kids were away for the weekend so a lot of training missed (not good 2 weeks out from the lost SHeep)

Sun 23rd Aug- last long session before The Lost Sheep- 4hr brick session planned 70k hilly TT- avg Hr 138, elevation 720m, speed 30.5kph- 2hrs 20mins, slowish transition then out for a long 17k run - done in 1hr27mins at avg speed 5.06mins/km and avg HR 151. Just under 4hrs in total and felt good after it

Mon 24th Aug- recovery, didn't feel the best and came home from work sick so took day off.

Tues 25th Aug- Knew I needed to get something done with the lost sheep around the corner so still feeling a little under the weather I decided to do a hilly 50k cycle, bad idea, - had no energy whatsoever for this and could barely move the pedals for half of it, did the 50k at 26.8kph- avg HR129

Wed 26th Aug- planned an 8k run but 2k into the run I felt the calf tweak so stopped straight away and walked home- Worlds End triathlon this weekend and the lost sheep next weekend- things are not looking good!!!

Advertisement