Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sorry to hear that. Hope the calf clears up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

A Very Brief report
    Swim: Had what felt like a good strong swim until I exited the water and was disappointed to see 14.50 on the watch.
    Bike: Had a very strong bike, wore a heart rate monitor for the race and was shocked that the Heart rate for the whole bike was 185+. did the bike in 32.08mins - 6th fastest bike of the day- came into transition in around 15th but felt good.
    Run: took a gel towards the end of the bike and could feel it kicking in for the start of the run- 2 relay teams passed me straight away on the run but I didn't leave them get too far ahead and I kept 1 in sights until the first km until all of a sudden the bottom of the calf/top of the Achilles let out a scream- I immediately stopped in my tracks- I hoped it was just a strain, tried to run again but I knew I was doing damage and with the lost sheep the following weekend I unfortunately decided to call it a day, I walked the rest of the 4k back to the finish, it was funny to see peoples reaction and encouragement whilst I was walking, there is definitely a great group of people in triathlon.
    My 1k run/4k walk took me 47mins giving me a total of 1hr36mins for the race. lets just hope I get back in time for the lost sheep.

Well since I pulled the calf a week ago at worlds end I decided to do no training for the week and just concentrate on healing the calf... I figured I had enough long sessions done at this stage and the fitness was there or thereabouts :confused:...I spoke to a sports therapist on Sunday after Worlds end and she advised me to start taking a supplement called L-Glutamine to help with recovery so I started taking that twice a day and I started a rigorous 30 mins of foam rolling and stretching every evening for the full week, slowly but surely the calf started feeling better- I even managed an easy 20k cycle on the Thursday before the lost sheep with a few sprints thrown in and I started feeling a bit of confidence creeping back in, the last thing I did (again on the advice of the sports therapist on sunday) was I went to Paul Murray (one of if not the best sports and physical therapists in Limerick) on Friday before the race to get Kinesiology tape on the calf- I was a real sceptic of this but after a session with Paul I was brimming with confidence.
    So left for Kenmare on the Friday evening with the missus and arrived down for reg just before closing. got a nice bag and then just went for food and skipped the race brief, met the bro who was doing his first half and he was nervous as hell, shot the breeze for awhile and then just went to bed for 10.30pm, alarm went of on morning of race day at 5.45am, took a carbo loading drink straight away and some brown bread and jam and a mug of coffee, got my gear together and off I went with the wife to transition. My aim for this race last month would have been the sub 5hrs but after a bad 2 weeks training and the calf strain last week I would be happy to complete the race. shot the breeze with the bro and Mossym for a bit before the race then before I knew it it was time to enter the water...

Swim... I started my watch a few seconds before the hooter as I didn't want to be caught out like last year--- last year my watch time was 4hrs 59mins46seconds but official chip time was 5hrs00mins01seconds, I set off hard but then the realization came into the head that this was a 5hr race so I decided to pace myself a little and get the breathing under control, I felt good, the water was calm and I felt I was moving well, I really enjoyed the swim but after what felt like forever I was getting a bit anxious as I still had not come to the first buoy, I started looking around to see if I could see it but nothing! I was then starting to worry was I in a group that had missed the buoy and swam past it :o, eventually though it started to come into sight- after rounding it I glanced at my watch and it read 21mins WTF- I got concerned here that I wasn't swimming hard enough so tried to push harder on the return to shore, obviously the tide was with us on the way back as it felt a lot shorter, I still felt like I had a great swim but I was very disappointed when I looked at my watch on exiting the water and it read 40.XX mins- a whole5mins slower than last year... I had major time to catch up on the bike.
    swim: 40:46 mins 213/315 finishers 44th in agegroup

T1 I had a slow t1 as I put on socks for the bike and the run, learned my lesson after the first year...
    T1 2.59mins 121/315 finishers

Bike I mounted the bike well and went off like a bat out of hell straight away, last year I was off on the bike at 38mins and change, this year it was 44mins and change so already I had 6mins to make up on last year...I pushed hard over the first 10k as I knew this was a flat section before the climbs- I averaged 40+ for most of this and was passing loads, I was feeling good and strong and let the bad swim behind me, I was eating road!!- on the first climb I kept the pace high at 22kph+ and was still passing loads, on the descent off the first climb I checked my speedo and it was averaging 35kph- at this stage last year it was 33kph so I knew I was going really well,I was hoping to catch Mossy at some stage but unfortunately I never saw him through the whole bike leg, I hit the Healy pass and motored up this too, still spinning hard and keeping speed over 22kph on the climb, the descent off healy last year rocked me but this year I took it like a man possessed and was flying past people, I was also watching my nutrition the whole way taking squeezy gels religiously every 20mins- a mixture of caffeine/iso and tomato gels for the electrolytes whilst also drinking and eating, after the healy descent and around half way through the bike I looked at the speedo and it was still showing average of 34.5kph- I was happy with this, quick look at the HR and it was 165- happy with this too, got onto the long stretch between Healy and glengarrif where I was hoping to make up more time but unfortunately there was a stiff headwind here and I started to suffer big time, I tried to push hard into the headwind but the bike seemed to be going backwards and people started (for the first time) to pass me out, the average speed was dropping as I was looking down at 19kph on the speedo, once we got to glengarrif I turned for the Caha pass and tried to increase the cadence for the climb of Caha but the legs were dead and people started to regularly pass me out, 70k into the cycle and with only 20k left I had bonked!! I had gone too hard over the first 2 hills and had nothing left for Caha, I was totally pi$$ed off now and was struggling at 14kph up the caha pass with the wind blowing me all over the road, Once I got to the tunnel at the top of Caha I looked at my speedo again and it was reading 29.8kph average, so much for a sub 5hrs!! I had a 33kph average last year for the bike, I tried to make up time in the last few km's into Kenmare but this hurt and at times where I knew I should be well over 40kph I struggled to hit 35kph, I was hoping to be off the bike at the latest 3hrs15mins to be assured of a sub 5hrs,I was now looking down at 3hrs 30mins whilst dismounting off the bike, the wife was there cheering me on but I felt totally spent and dejected and facing into a half marathon that I was probably not going to be able to complete. I didn't realize then but the bike was torturous for everyone and I had one of the better bike splits of the day even beating the bro by over 2 mins. I finished the bike at an average speed of 30.8kph, way down on last years split, that with the slow swim time meant I could kiss any attempt at a sub 5hrs goodbye this year.

Bike 2hrs39mins16secs 38th/315 9th in agegroup

T2 Just to add insult to injury once I ran the long transition to rack my bike I bent down to put on my runners and got a massive cramp in my right Quad and I mean massive- I couldn't move, the quad was totally locked, I asked a guy racking alongside me to help and he just looked at me and ran off!!, I tried lying on the ground to stretch it but it was still locked, the wife ran over to see what was wrong and I told her I got a cramp and she roared at me to get a f**king move on, with that the cramp eventually subsided and a tried running on very sore , very tired legs but I had lost a ball of time lying on the ground for around 3 minutes.

T2 4.41mins 244/315

Run- Unfortunately the head dropped heading around on the run, in my mind I had nothing to run for, sub 5hrs was out the window and my body was in bits, I made a decision 1km into the run to run within myself and get the race finished, I was also wrecked and couldn't run much faster if I wanted to anyway, I went through 10k in 51mins (48mins last year) I tried to up the pace for the 2nd 10k to at least get a respectable half marathon time but the legs were gone to jelly, I saw the Bro coming towards me at around 8k gone and he looked good, few km's later Mossy ran past me and he looked like he was also moving well, I just kept the legs moving counting the km's down in my head, I walked through all the water stops and walked up the big hill at 17k, I just wanted to get this race over with now... the last 3k was torture and I fell across the line at 5hrs24mins09secs. and I was totally spent, the half marathon took me 1hr56mins.
    The wife came over to me afterwards expecting me to be really pi$$ed off but to be honest I wasn't, I dealt with a lot of demons in my head in the last 20k of the bike and for most of the run, many times I wanted to stop, a few times I even hoped for my calf to go so I had an excuse to stop but thankfully I won the battle in my head and persevered and got through the race, not the best time in the world but it was a slow days racing for everyone, the bro did 4hrs53mins- I expected him to easily go sub 4.40mins, looking on the bright side it was my third half ironman distance race completed....
    11953054_10203265329712527_2732095234196054484_n.jpg?oh=82155d529f3a2ca76b10a9d86f428c4c&oe=569C44C7

Lost Sheep Triathlon 2015 : 5hrs 24mins 09secs 115th/315 finishers 25th in agegroup
    After the race I shot the Breeze with Mossy and the brother - all 3 of us were of the same conclusion that the swim was long and the bike was very hard, the brother said he would never do another half ironman race again!!
    I myself will be taking 2 weeks deserved break from training before I start my new chapter of training for Challenge Galway.
    Looking back on the year briefly I had a disappointing last month of training with not completing my favourite sprint race in the Worlds End Triathlon and doing a slow Half ironman race but I did get my first sub 70min sprint race at lough derg tri so the season wasn't a disaster...
    I think that after 3.5years of writing this blog I may take a break from it for awhile, I might come back to it again or I might even start a new blog for my challenge Galway training, who knows!
    Thanks to everyone for your input and advice over the years.......Signing off for now Trig1

Ok After a few weeks off since the lost sheep( and a few pounds put back on) I have decided I might as well keep this log going rather than opening a new log as I often look back to check out my progression over the last few years.....
    So since the lost sheep I tore a little muscle at the back of my knee so have been doing no running whatsoever, I took the month of September mostly off expect for 2 bike sessions.... Nenagh CC were starting back into winter training on Sat 3rd oct so I decided to start back training on Friday 2nd oct...

I have only 1 key goal this year...Challenge Galway- I am publicly saying I would like a sub 12hrs but for myself I would like to do Sub 11hrs- I reckon with a lot of swim training I could go close to 1hr10mins for swim, hoping for sub 5hrs30mins for bike (this is hugely weather depending- could be 5hrs/could be 6hrs) I would love to be off running at under 7hrs and then target 4x 1hr 10k's which would hopefully give me around 11hrs.....My background.....
    Started tri's around 5years ago,have done loads of sprints and Olympic distance races- managing 69mins for my fastest sprint race and 2hrs23mins for my fastest Olympic, in the last 3years I have done 3 Half Iron distance races- (the lost sheep) doing 5hrs13mins(2013) 5hrs00mins1sec (2014) and 5hrs25mins(2015), I feel I have a good base now to go long, my main issue this year will be to try get through the year injury free, loads of stretching/foam rolling, core work and regular visits to a physical therapist should hopefully help me.... I wont be logging often, perhaps only once a week, but I am gonna use this blog as always just to keep track of my training, if anyone has any advice or thoughts on my weird training plan (or would like to give me some free coaching) then I would love to hear from you

Oct 2nd 2015..... back training, easy 40k on the TT bike to get reacquainted- 40k at 31.2kph 1hr17mins

Oct 3rd 2015... first spin back with Nenagh cc (these lads are training for the RAS this year so training with them will bring me on hopefully) found the going tough this morn with 2hrs of rolling over planned- I cut the spin short as the HR was pushing 170 so after 90k at avg 32.5kph I called it a day..did 90.2km in 2hrs46mins at 32.5kph- avg HR 150

Oct 4th 2015... took Sunday off as a family day as it was the daughters 7th Birthday,

Oct 5th 2015... Not back running yet so another long cycle today- 82kms spinning in the small cog- another tough day 2hrs54mins in total at 28.2kph on the road bike avg HR 145

Oct 6th 2015... An easier day today- 60k with a few small hills thrown in, a bit windy and felt I had a head wind for most of the day, 60k done at 27.8kph in 2hrs10mins, avg HR was 137

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Best of luck with your challenge training Trig, looking forward to following your progress and cheering on all of you on the big day :)

p.s. Happy belated birthday to your daughter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

welcome back

Oct 7th...........2k light swim, nice to get back in the pool, easy 46mins
    Oct 8th...........planned long 100k on tt bike but got puncture after 76k and broke pump trying to fix puncture so had to call other half to collect me, thankfully I wasn't to far from home at the time , enjoyable spin otherwise, 76k in 2hrs28mins at 30.5kph
    Oct 9th..........day off
    Oct 10th........100k with nenagh CC, 2hrs50mins in total at 34kph, nice tough spin.
    Oct 11th.......day off
    Oct 12th.......nice 60k on tt bike at 31.6kph- 1hr54mins in total
    Oct 13th.......turbo night wth Nenagh cc- big gear intervals- 2hrs30mins in total- sweating like a pig afterwards, foolishly rushed to aldi after session for the missus, took awhile before I got home and was freezing by time I had shower, woke up next morn with a cold...
    Oct 14th......sick
    Oct 15th......sick
    Oct 16th....... felt bit better- 52k on tt bike at 34.1kph- 1hr31mins in total
    Oct 17th.......An attempt to go back running and check out the back of the knee- did 6 pain free km's- nice and slow but delighted to be back running- 6k done at 5.26mins/km

Oct 18th.....90 mins spinning on turbo watching rugby match
    Oct 19th..... 8k run at 5.07mins/km
    Oct 20th..... Nenagh CC turbo night, 2hrs30mins turbo- heavy gear interval session, ~75km done in total
    Oct 21st..... day off- In Dublin (Mam back in Hospital unfortunately- time for her 4th battle with the Big C :()
    Oct 22nd....Still in Dublin
    Oct 23rd.....8k run- light run at around 5.25mins/km
    Oct 24th.....day off
    Oct 25th.....day off
    Oct 26th.....Long Turbo- 2hrs30mins going up and down through gears- changing every minute- long tough session. ~75km done
    Oct 27th.....Long run- 16.3km ran at avg 5.36mins/km, 1hr31mins in total, HR 155
    Oct 28th..... Day off
    Oct 29th..... Turbo-sufferfest Downward spiral interval session, avg HR 130, Max HR 170
    Oct 30th..... Long High cadence turbo - 2hrs15mins in total
    Oct 31st- Injured (hurt Hip helping out at Castleconnell Head of River)
    Nov 1st- Injured
    Nov 2nd- Injured
    Nov 3rd- Small fitness check and hip check anfter slight injury- 8k hard run at high tempo- last km was fastest and felt good- so happy enough with that for this time of year- 8k done in 37.30mins at 4.40mins/km
    Nov 4th- Small window for training but managed a quick swim - 3x500ms, nice to get back into the pool
    Nov 5th- light 6k run at 5.23mins/km followed by another trip to the pool for a swim lesson~ around 1000m with fins only- tough leg workout
    Nov 6th- day off
    Nov 7th- longest cycle yet!! 141km's cycled with Nenagh cc- long tough cycle in horrible conditions- 4hrs52mins at 28.7kph
    Nov 8th- 14k run- nice enjoyable run,expected legs to feel bad after cycle but felt surprisingly good- 14k done at 5.21mins /km with last 2km's being the fastest
    Nov 9th- Turbo -Sufferfest downward spiral intervals-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

sh1te Trig sorry to hear about your mother, tough lady.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

really sorry to hear that trig, my missus sends her wishes as well, having met your mom she's a lovely woman

• Advertisement

Truly sorry about the ma trig.

Wow nearly 2 months since an update....
    have still been training away but unfortunately not much running done since Birdhill half marathon early December- did a 1.49 half marathon but hip went at 15k and I stubbornly continued running, hips in bits since,
    Turbo has been my best friend for the month of December- trying to get a session done every 2nd day.

Roll on January.... 2 cycles on the road in the last week, 60k and 80k, and my first run in a month- slow 6k, run felt fine (with my new brooks ghost 8) but unfortunately hip was in bits again that evening, deep down I know the stress fracture is back in the hip and my challenge galway ironman race could be out the window....

So no running for the foreseeable future, cycling and swimming it is and we will see where we are in 2-3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sorry to hear that about the hip. :( More bike racing?

January figures......

more swimming than I think I've ever done in January...... 12.5k swimming
    and loads and loads of good quality turbo sessions, mostly interval work but good few long 2-3hr sessions too,
    only 1 80k road cycle but happy to get over 700k done on the bike during month of Jan - all be it on the turbo.

Running- 1 6k run, had x-rays on the hip but still waiting on mri , not looking good unfortunately...

For the time being it will be loads of swimmimg and cycling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Best of luck with it - I hope your year gets back on track quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Trig1 wrote: »
    Running- 1 6k run, had x-rays on the hip but still waiting on mri , not looking good unfortunately...

For the time being it will be loads of swimmimg and cycling!

Nothing to see here - it wouldn't be a Trig log without running injuries - you will come through like you always do!

the video that went out after Kona of one of the pro's doing the last 20 miles of the cycle one legged? that'll be nothing to trig doing the whole marathon on one leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ugh. I do hope it's not a fractured hip. !!! My fingers will be crossed for you!

Thanks Folks
    Only had mri last night, so hopefully Doc will get results in next few days...other than that loads of turbo and a good bit of swimming still being done!

wow I cant believe its that long since I've updated anything- needless to say it has been a disaster of a year- was doing a bit of A4 bike racing in feb/March when I had a bad fall towards the end of a race in Galway- basically tried to stop the bike with my face at 40kph-ended up having to get surgery in Galway hospital to put the face back together-60 stitches, serious lacerations, serious dental work(6 weeks of braces followed by numerous root canals) too say the least- a few months of rehab before I eventually got back training- (a few pics attached but be advised- they are not for the faint hearted) miraculously there was not a scratch on the bike- my new bike also!!, got back training in May with the intention of still completing challenge Galway at the end of june- however I did change from the full ironman to the half ironman. so cycling and running were coming god again after a few weeks when another disaster struck 3 weeks before the ironman- I fell and broke a bone in my hand- nasty break with the bone almost piercing the skin- to make matters worse- 2 weeks after the break I went back to get it assessed and they said it wasn't healing properly- another surgery- put to sleep- re-brake it and put pins into it!!! and another 8 weeks of wearing the cast! so my challenge galway was out the window!
    Roll on 3 months of absolutely no training and countless physio on the hand and the hand still is not right- tried a few cycles but after 30 mins the wrist is in bits, I cannot brake and cannot change gears.

December now and I've put on a full stone and half- I'm coaching full time in the local rowing club as the 2 kids are involved so that eats ups 4 days- Tuesday and Thursday evenings and every Saturday and sunday morning at 9.30 am- I've started back using the rowing machine to stall the weight gain- doing 3 good ergometer sessions a week- usually a 15,000m piece and 2 10,000m pieces with weights afterwards- I'm getting an ergometer off Santa for Christmas so no excuses now.... Oh forgot- the wife has said I'm never allowed bike race again and I cannot blame her- I frightened the life out of her- she thought I was dead!! although she doesn't mind me doing a few tri's, so with all the coaching full time training is out the window but the rowing championships are early july which means I could target a triathlon mid September for a comeback and as you all know...I don't do things by halves so I'm playing around with the idea of doing 3-4 sessions a week for next few months- mostly strength session and H.I.I.T sessions to try get the weight down then once I hit july I'm hoping to ramp up the training for a good 6-7 weeks to get in shape for ...of course...the Lost Sheep in mid sept!!! (although I've said nothing to the wife yet)..

Anyway heres to the start of my logging a bit of training again.. I'll start with todays session..

1hr ergo - weight loss session, splits 2:08.5mins/500m, 14000m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Holy sh**e, I had no idea. I'm so sorry about all you've been through :O

Delighted to see your log pop up again though and I look forward to following your progress :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

You really don't do things by halves Trig, injuries included! Great to see your back logging. I know it's expensive but I remember reading about some lad who done damage to his wrist in a bike crash, seemed to have similar problems to you after, uses DI2 now, says it was the only way he could keep cycling. An expensive solution but maybe an option down the line. He was a pro though and more than likely got it for free! Anyway hope the training is going well, and stick to the turbo for the next while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If you do make it to the Lost Sheep next year Trig I look forward to having a pint with you after.

Best of luck with the recovery and hope you have a really positive 2017.

Monday 12th Dec - 30mins ergo avg 2:08.5mins/500m 7150m followed by weights...
    Bench press 40kg x 30 reps x 3
    Bench pull 70kg x 30 reps x 3
    leg press 120kg x 30 reps x 3
    tricep curls 20kg x 30 reps x 3
    sit ups 30 reps x 3

welcome back, that was some crash and at least the bike was ok:), myself and PMaldini are talking about a run or two over the festive period if you fancy joining us (will be very very very slow)

BennyMul wrote: »
    welcome back, that was some crash and at least the bike was ok:), myself and PMaldini are talking about a run or two over the festive period if you fancy joining us (will be very very very slow)

if you fancy a very slow run early on xmas eve i usually run up the hill at two mile gate(where the old killaloe tri was on) every xmas eve morning at 8.30/9. very slow pace, first 45 to 50 minutes uphill, then you get to run back down. has snowed on me a couple of times up there which is a nice setup for xmas :)

welcome back trig, good to see you back

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

mossym wrote: »
    if you fancy a very slow run early on xmas eve i usually run up the hill at two mile gate(where the old killaloe tri was on) every xmas eve morning at 8.30/9. very slow pace, first 45 to 50 minutes uphill, then you get to run back down. has snowed on me a couple of times up there which is a nice setup for xmas :)

welcome back trig, good to see you back

i am working christmas eve but will be going up slieve felim next sunday 18th if anyone is interested, ill be doing the easier of the 9 mile routes unless ye really want to work the legs!!! there will also be a mini hangover to protect so it will be very easy pace:D

Advertisement