Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

My winter training is gonna be all about losing another stone (or more) before tri season starts next year.. currently 13 and 3/4 stone,, would like to be at a racing weight of sub 13stone next year...so its gonna be all about the l.s.d. (long slow distance)sessions from here on for next few months....did my longest ever cycle today...100km in 3hrs29mins...and i'm absolutely wrecked after it,, pace was around 31kph for first 2hrs..thought I was going easy enough as I was in a lighter gear than I usually cycle in but suffered majorly for next 1.5hrs at around 26.5kph...obviously set off a bit too hard but total avg was 28.7kph so not too bad...something to work on anyway..

session 100k cycle 3hrs29mins...28.7kph

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/14v9ls5v7k4kkic5

slow cycle to work tonight...felt Tired..

session 25k cycle to work...50mins

very wet cycle home from work this morning- soaked to the skin by the time i got home...strong wind and rain but for some reason i enjoyed it...

session...cycle home from work..26k 53mins

light midnight ~8k jog on lunch break in work...41mins15secs..tried to keep speed down around 5min30sec/km but found it pretty hard... most km's were comingin between 5.05-5.15, felt nice and comfortable..

session ~8k jog...41mins15secs

took 2 days off as my body was telling me to-just felt tired and fatigued...
    did another light 8k jog at lunchtime in work today, trying to keep pace low but knee getting sore- not sure if this is due to slow pace/bad running style or need new runners- its sore and tender just below the knee- can really feel it when walking upstairs- any thoughts anyone??...anyway the jog was very comfortable again- probably still too fast but felt fine- 8k -40mins55secs..
    session 8k jog 40mins55secs

• Advertisement

cycle to work this morning...took longer than usual as 3k into cycle i realised i forgot to put the bins out :eek:. turned around to try get home before bin man came ....got around 2k home and passed the binman going the opposite direction- he had already been to the house and was heading back towards Limerick...Balls... turned around to try catch him but to no avail-- i must have looked like a lunatic in the thick fog and all lit up sprinting to catch a bin truck..waving and shouting at the top of my voice...oh well..wife's gonna kill me :eek:... anyway took 1hr3mins to get to work..could not see speedo and forgot to reset it after last cycle but did around 29k in 1hr2mins

session..cycle to work-29k 1hr2mins

cycle home from work yesterday- alot of traffic as I left work at 6pm.. nice cycle home though...51mins ~30kph including alot of stops

session: cycle home from work:26k 51mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

How is the knee trig? I really hope it's ok. Is the pain to the side of the knee cap? Or just underneath? I wont try to guess what it is but hope its not your itb!

I had to lol at the image of you cycling after the binmen :D

Hey, Knee not too bad..took the weekend off to help it mend and to go out drinking :D..did the dog on it last night...hadn't been out in ages so enjoyed it- dancing in Costelloes woo hoo :D... paying the price now as my knee and Hip are pretty sore...I feel like a 70yr old gerriatric... oh well- plan is a 90k cycle tomorrow depending on how the body is

8/oct/2012-
    plan today was a 90k cycle and try get the avg km/h up a bit as my last few cycles were all around 30kph...headed off and my sports tracker didn't kick in for over a minute so my first km was clocked at 3mins+.. will take a minute off my overall time for this..First 20k I had what I thought was a slight tailwind- went good and strong and did it in 34.3kph..this took me from home to finnegans roundabout , through roundabout to castletroy roundabout and back to daly's cross..next 25k I really struggled on the wat to nenagh- felt I had no energy, head was playing tricks with me and I was wondering what was going on with my legs- they were dead- doing some km's struggling at 20kph i knew i had a bit of a headwind but I didnt feel like it was much..decided to turnaround and head home at 45k as I was wrecked and my legs were dead..turned around and then I only realised how much of a headwind I was heading into for the last 25k- did the next 20k in 32mins30sec 37kph... even did a 5k stint in 7mins flat...43kph...felt good again as i realised my legs were good and it was just the wind affecting me..went back into the headwind for the last 10k home for an overall average speed taking off the first minute at 30.6kph- same as last few spins...oh well

session: 75k cycle..2hrs28mins..30.6kph

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/87oudderk8pgsrgg

09/0ct/2012
    nice handy 10k on treadmill today...didnt want to go out on the road as i was still worried about the knee..just did a handy pace throughout 10x5.30min km's for a 10k of 55mins- felt nice good and relaxed throughout- knee was pretty ok too..

session: 10k on treadmill... 55mins

• Advertisement

Havent put a cycle p.b. on this thread for awhile as I have been doing alot of LSD cycles but needed to re-assure myself after a few ok cycles that my legs still had it in them so pushed a hard 25.1k cycle into work tonight..(with my gear bag full on my back)..started off ok legs were a little sore after run yesterday but kept a constant speed of around 34kph-also tried staying away from the heaviest gear and kept the legs spinning a bit more- started feeling really good so tried to push the legs hard- i have to say the long distances seem to be paying off as the legs felt pretty good- this is a difficult course to work anyway with a few hills and drags thrown in- newport to parkway roundabout- left at roundabout out childers road- straight through roundabouts past tesco and up towards punches cross lidl- left at those traffic lights straight past cresent onto raheen and left into the industrial estate- alot of traffic lights and it was pretty dark but thankfully it was a night where nearly all the traffic lights were with me..I was motoring and got into work and stopped the watch..looked down to see 44mins05secs- 30secs off my p.b. from 11sept- also re-assured me that I still have the fitness- felt really good and could prob have gone harder for first few km's...

session 25.1k cycle to work..44mins05secs...34.2kph pb

CYCLE HOME FROM WORK 11OCT..
    nothing major , just a long slow wet cycle..soaked by the time i got home
    cycle home from work...58mins

11 oct run...
    Did another handy midnight run at break time in work tonight, nice handy pace with a mate...did the usual loop- around 8k... cannot seem to get a signal for my sports-tracker in the Industrial estate but i reckon its around 7.5-8k.. anyway took 39mins- never looked at watch until I stopped, just enjoyed the cold night run and chat...alot of stars out..

session:8k run 39mins

well haven't logged any sessions in over a week so here goes...
    Decided to take a full week off training to let my knee and hip recover- plauged with little niggles at the moment, it was very difficult not to do anything for a full week but my body definitely needed it....took the 12th to the 19th off...back out for a long relaxed cycle on friday..did 84k in 2hrs46mins...around 30.3kph....went a bit hard for first 20k, took it a bit easier for the rest- just felt a bit tired throughout...

19th oct..84k bike, 2hrs46mins, 30.3kph

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/83rg826qhi9rs5e7

20oct...
    Plan today was 12-13k run with a mate that is winding down for marathon next week..set off at a nice pace of around 4.40mins/km and tried to maintain that pace for run- felt very good for first 7-8km, struggled a little after this but unfortunately had to stop at 10k as my calf now was coming at me- something that hasn't happened in months...my own fault though as I have been lazy and have done no foam rolling in over a week..kms were good and solid though...km's as follows..4.37, 4.45, 4.46, 4.39, 4.19(downhill), 4.40, 4.41, 5.00(uphill), 4.50, 5.18 (slowed down here as calf started getting sore)...10k in 47.42mins- happy with that.. need to keep up the foam rolling in the evenings though!! 2 more days off now with alot of foam rolling to help calf recover- another cycle planned for tomorrow- if leg is ok I might do something different for a change..

20oct..10k run 47mins42secs

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/e15pe4139dfe2eee

23rd Oct 2012
    Lovely 70k cycle yesterday... went on a totally different route for a change...very hilly route but scenery was beautiful and really enjoyed it..went from Newport to Rearcross and onto Upperchurch- basically it was climbing for first 35k and downhill for next 35k... unfortunately my sports tracker app decided to die just after the turnaround so only have info for 95% of the return journey.the journey to Upperchurch took 1hr16mins..around 27.6kph.. journey home was really enjoyable and had a few km's in a row at 50+kph..

session 70k hilly cycle 2hrs18mins...total avg speed~30.4kph

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/1u5kuflkslfood97

24th oct
    plan today was nice slow 12-13k run trying to stay at 5.30 per km...actual..
    did a really nice comfortable 14k at avg 5.03mins per km....really tried to keep pace low but found it very difficult..avg was probably a bit higher more like 5.10mins per km as my sports tracker (not very reliable) went on the fritz again during km3 giving me a 4min19sec km which should definitely have been probably 5mins19secs as it was a slight incline...very happy with run overall though and its longest run i've done probably since keeper hill challenge last March..brought the pace up for last 2 km's just to see if I could-felt great :D

kms...4.49,5.17,4.52,4.19(5.19), 5.27,5.13,5.09,5.02,4.57,5.32,5.37(climbing for these 2k)5.21,4.40,4.15....

session..14k run 1hr11min15sec..avg pace 5.03mins/km

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/a9pst8ppnms6h5g9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good sessions there. You planning on a return to the keeper challenge ight it is run again? Bumped into Mike Mc who is back on the ego, Stu is training like mad and saw Daithi out running all this evening. No keeping us lot down!

Well Mike..
    I suppose I feel obliged to do keeper hill as it is on my doorstep..great race too even if i'm not looking forward to the run..the lads -mike mac and stu have been dabbling in a few adventure races during the year- think they both did killarney.. Daithi is a fitness fanatic now...big into the running...suppose for the lot of us its been bred into us since we were 12years of age ...thats why you see so many retired oarsmen taking up tri's.. Brian O'Shaughnessy, Mike Lane, The bro, Sean Carter, yourself, myself to name but a few..I'm delighted to have discovered tri's and cannot wait until next season..once I lose the extra few pounds that is..saw from your log you wont be doing many tri's next year..will you do Keeper hill.. how about trying to retain your title in the headless horseman..I'm hoping to do that next year too if it falls nicely for my shift.

25th oct 2012
    Long 80k wet hilly cycle today 40k out and 40k back, 604m accent, 590m descent..pretty tough, really felt it in the legs, horrible drizzly conditions, pretty low average speed but pretty hilly and was solid 2hrs45mins at 28.5kph

session 80k cycle 2hrs45mins 28.5kph

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/4ujb9d7n3pcf3bci

26 oct 2012
    missed a few weeks swimming so decided to get back to the pool this morning and boy was it needed- I was wrecked after the session...easily knowing its my weakest discipline,, its the area I need to spend more time at and what do I do..avoid it like a plague..
    swim consisted of 100m warm up...splattering, spluttering, drinking vast volumes, coughing, choking, gasping....wondering where my technique had gone...then 750m with pull buoy-- not pretty until the last few lengths then muscle memory and my breathing kicked in..
    then 200m without pull buoy- a struggle... then another few 100's without pull buoy really trying to concentrate on length and keeping legs up... finished with a few 50's with and without pull buoy...
    Will need to get into water more if i'm to build on my swimming from last year...

session - around 1500-1750m swimming

27 oct 2012
    Got up early this morning to go for cycle but it was bloody freezing out!! was gonna go for a run instead but pussied out of that too.. instead I chose the warmth of the exercise room watching soccer a.m. ....just did nice long steady 13k at 5mins30secs per km... 71mins30secs in total ...good sweaty session..plan to cycle to templemore tomorrow morn to the inlaws ..around 70k so should be handy weather permitting.

session 13k on treadmill at 5mins30secs per km...71mins30secs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Tut Tut!! It was a beautiful morning for a cycle yesterday!!

• Advertisement

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Tut Tut!! It was a beautiful morning for a cycle yesterday!!

I know, it turned into a beautiful morning, was looking out at it on the treadmill and was sorry I didnt go out on the bike... made up for it yesterday...

29th oct 2012 cycle
    Lovely cycle from Newport to templemore yesterday in the rain of course but really enjoyed it.. not much wind so had a very enjoyable spin..averaged just under 33kph for 62.7k

session 62.7k 32.8kph 1hr54mins52secs

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/7eg4m1p0qv9ifevg

30 oct 2012
    Nice long run today..my longest run since Keeper challenge 18k run last march but really enjoyed it and kept it very solid throughout whilst also doing negative splits for last 3k (last 3k were my fastest 3k) plan was to do 14k at 5mins per km but just kept going to 17k...average for run was 4mins58secs per km....

session 17k run in 1hr24mins12secs avg 4mins58secs per km

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/5si6qiq6k4aeqe9c

Friday 2nd NovHandy 8K midnight run around the industrial estate- nice and peaceful, no traffic, no noise- reckon if anyone saw me they would think I was quite mad but anyway enjoyed it...Session... around 8k in 38mins26secs..

3RD NOV-cycle to work
    cycle to work last night in the pitch dark..got a new front torch and this was my first night really trying it out..backroads from newport to Finnegans roundabout have no lights whatsoever and I realized pretty fast that the front torch was not bright enough- could barely see where I was going on the 2k stretch from my house into Newport- was about to turn around home but decided I'd stop into centra and get new batteries to see if they would make a difference...thankfully they did..The torch was still not as bright as I would have liked but it just about did the job...anyway it was a slow careful cycle to work...also got absolutely drowned in a big shower on the way to work so i also had to figure out how to dry my gear for the cycle home.

session: 25k cycle to work, 56.35mins, 26.4km/h

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/5ca0h45547pp7hut

4th Nov Cycle home from work

Just a very slow, very wet, very tired cycle home- got my clothes half dry for the cycle home so instead of putting on soaking wet gear I was putting on warmish damp gear for cycle home... just had no energy in the legs for cycle home so just clicked down into a light gear and spun my way home...

session: 25.4k cycle home, 25.3km/h, 1hr0mins6secs

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/79bq6rml497k0ms5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Do you live near Newport? County Mayo? My grandpa was born/raised on Achill. Newport is a lovely little town. :)

6th Nov 2012...midnight run
    I'm loving these midnight runs- kinda feel really free, also a bit spooky- gets the mind going,, anyway my head was all over the place with a bit of bad news on the homefront so hit the road hard tonight.. I'm not a fast runner but have been improving slightly in the last year...set a 10k p.b. on 22nd april at the Plassey 10k of 45.14mins.. havent raced a 10k since so planning on doing shannon 10k on 17th nov just to see where i stand and also to try beat this p.b.... my midnight run loop is I think a little shy of 8k- can never get sattelite feed for my sports-tracker app in the industrial estate but had it working for most of the route one day for 6.5km and the route is 7minutes longer so ~8k in total.fastest I've done this 2lap loop was friday night in 38mins26secs but never really attacked it. Started off as normal tonight (4 tops, warm hat, leggings and calf supports) was expecting it to be freezing but it was warm out which meant I was sweating after 5mins.. anyway after a few mins running i started upping the pace and started going pretty hard (for my standards) {still carrying probably 1stone of gut:D}..got my first loop done in 17mins58secs didnt feel too bad - kept trying to up the intensity- heart pounding in my chest, breathing heavy and sweating hard- loving it- pushed to my limit for last few 100 metres- felt I was gonna puke when i stopped but recovered fast..did the course in 35mins12secs- over 3mins faster than fastest time for this course- also has given me confidence that i can beat my 10k p.b. in 2 weeks time...only downside is I've been getting a soreness in my left achilles over last 2-3 weeks and its getting gradually worse- very sore after running- sore for first few minutes of run and goes away once i'm warmed up- getting worried that it might be something bad. will prob go to physio next week if there's no sign of it going away..

session: 8k run 35mins12secs..avg 4mins24secs per km

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Do you live near Newport? County Mayo? My grandpa was born/raised on Achill. Newport is a lovely little town. :)

Hi Dory... No I dont sorry.. there are 2 newports in Ireland, 1 in County Mayo, the other in County Tipperary.. I'm in county Tipperary (unfortunately ;))

7th Nov 2012
    Morning...50k wet cycle today- felt like the whole cycle was into headwind....very slow and Leg zapping.. not a nice cycle..

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/8maquq02icij8rn2

Evening...went to pool this evening for swim...
    2k straight swim....concentrating on length and breathing..just trying to get my stroke right again..then 500m with pull buoy again concentrating on length.

total swim..2500m in 59mins..slow but at least I got some distance done..

sessions..50k bike 1hr40mins/ 2500m swim 59mins

8th Nov 2012..
    5k on treadmill warmup...26mins followed by weights session and plank work
    10mins of planking ...30secs straight plank, 15secs left side ,15secs right side, then 15 pressups then x6. sweating lik a m.f. after it.. also bench press and leg raise- fast session but good sweaty session

session..5k treadmill and weights and core work

11nov2012
    Just a slow run today at lunch time in work, nice and slow...achilles still bit sore...53mins run prob around 10k...thats about it, have to get tt bike out tomorrow as I was cleaning my bike the other day and noticed a large crack in front fork, when I took wheel off to check it the fork fell away in my hand..so new fork ordered from the state but will take 2 weeks to get delivered...

session 53min run ~ 10k

• Advertisement

Monday 12th Nov..
    Another slow wet and windy cycle today- really draining and soul destroying but plugged away- soaked to the skin again when i got home..birthday in 2 weeks and have been hinting for a turbo trainer so fingers crossed...58k done in 1hr56mins speed 30kph..

session:58k wet,windy cycle in 1hr56mins- 30kph

Tuesday 13th Nov..
    Another wet day today so decided to do a run on treadmill instead...
    14k on treadmill at 5mins30sec per km... 77mins in total- nice relaxed sweaty session.

session 14k on treadmill 77mins

Advertisement