Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Friday 16th Nov
    plan was 15k on treadmill today, not doing any road running until achilles is fine again, doesn't hurt on treadmill for some reason, anyway only got 40mins into session when treadmill broke(typical), so only 7.5k done and few weights after that.

session 40min treadmill and weights

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Fair play for all the treadmill. I hate the thing.

Did half hour ergo yesterday... feel beaten today. Its mad how many hours we put into that machine back in the day!

19th Nov 2012
    Not getting as much training done as I would like to at the moment as I'm very busy with work and have a few family problems (Mam pretty sick in hospital) with all this I'm not getting time to do much training but had a few hrs to myself yesterday so headed off on long light run to clear my head.. had to stop as I got phonecall during end of km 11 and start of km 12...that aside- the run was nice and comfortable...18k at avg 5min15secs per km..would probably have been 5mins10secs per km if I didnt stop and walk for few minutes whilst on the phone...anyway nice run..

session: 18k run- 1hr34mins39secs- 5min15sec per km

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/8iun5eurklolabe7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

I wish your mum a speedy recovery. Nothing like a run to clear the head.

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    I wish your mum a speedy recovery. Nothing like a run to clear the head.

+1 support is everything. Also wishing a speedy recovery. Forget about numbers for your sessions for a while. They will serve to release some of that stress and thats enough purpose in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sending you the very best wishes for your mom. And I agree with the lads, keep the training low key, but let it be your stress reliever when you can steal the moments.

Thanks lads..it means alot, no motivation at the moment but will try keep tipping away doing some sessions until we get through this...hopefully she is coming out of hospital tomorrow but a long road to recovery ahead of her... she's a fighter though so were hoping she'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Good news and all the best to ye, hope all goes smoothly.

Friday 23rd Nov
    Well after 4 hard days of work last week and not much training done I headed out on Friday in the rain, hailstones and wind to try get a 70k cycle done, was still using my new tt bike as the road bike is still out of action, headed off from home out the newport road to Finnegans roundabout -averaging around 33kph for the first 10k- soaked already but enjoying being out, went around finnegans roundabout and onto the old dublin road and with a tailwind behind me the next 25k towards Nenagh was good- average around 35kph..turned around after 35k -knew I was gonna be facing a tough headwind for the next 25k but was looking forward to it, slow and hard going- probably averaging around 28kph until disaster hit - you can see it at km57.9 on sports-tracker app- it was lashing rain so I decided that instead of doing my usual bunny hop over the train tracks on the dublin road I decided to just take it easy going over them-unfortunately that was the wrong choice- straight away the front wheel just went from under me- I went straight down on my right knee and hip- very very sore- stood up and thanked god I didnt break anything but knee was in bits- gave my bike a once over and it seemed ok- thank god again-was half expecting to see the carbon frame broken in half- tried getting back on and cycle again- did a few very sore km's and then gave up and rang the wife to collect me- forgot to turn off my sports tracker app so ye can ignore my last few km's at 70+kph- I was sitting in the car nursing my knee and hip at that stage..very bruised and sore until today so missed another few sessions but it could have been worse!!!

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/659vct0utdc3jq2d

session 57.9k cycle

Monday 26th Nov
    So roll on today and the knee was feeling alot better so decided to do a long slow treadmill session- plan was 15k at 7mph (11.3kph) (5.18mins/km)..started off well -body felt good after the few days rest, knee felt good and I felt really relaxed and strong- had a few extra layers on so I'd sweat alot- did the job- I was sweating buckets after 10mins- did 5k in around 27mins- was just heading towards 10k in around 55mins when again more disaster- my calf just went!!- this was my own fault as I forgot to put on my calf supports and I neglected to do my foam rolling over last week- so again lesson learned- always wear my compression socks-
    outdoors and on treadmill!!! and make sure I keep up my 20mins foam rolling every night, sitting here now writing this with an ice pack on my calf- looking back at the last few weeks and it hasn't been pretty- at least were not in race season- on a brighter note- my Ma is out of hospital and at home doing very well thank God... and its my birthday tomorrow and the wife bought me a turbo trainer- hope its a good one and hoping I can get one of these ftp's off it..heres the link to the one she bought me

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=89087

session 10k treadmill in 55mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Trig1 wrote: »
    on a brighter note- my Ma is out of hospital and at home doing very well thank God... and its my birthday tomorrow and the wife bought me a turbo trainer- hope its a good one and hoping I can get one of these ftp's off it..heres the link to the one she bought me

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=89087

session 10k treadmill in 55mins

Don't think you will be getting FTP off that, you don't need it anyways you usually go hard as you can on most of your bike sessions anyways

Good to hear the mother is on the mend!

Have you a dropbox account pm me if you do and I will give you a video

• Advertisement

Some run of bad luck your having at the moment. Your mum is doing well and thats all that matters. Your bike isn't bad and your injuries will heal. As was said to me already if your going to pick up the knocks and bangs now is the time to be doing it.

Have a happy birthday tomorrow and maybe take the rest of the week off and totally relax and recoop. Keep chin up and have a good one tomorrow !! Lots of time for training

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Good to hear your mam is on the mend Trig.

On the turbo, I have a similar turbo to yourself and have been using trainer road. It works off virtual power and a you choose your trainer when you install it and you will need a garmin cadence sensor. Costs around 8 euro a month but you can use it as much as you want during the month. I've done a FTP test on it and while I don't think it is my actual FTP all the workouts are then based around this level. There is a good choice of workouts too, definitely feel like you have had a workout when you are done. Only downside to the thing is the cost, but €8 a month isn't too bad.

Good to hear the ma is doing well D.

Those tracks are lethal on a wet day as they are at just the right angle to the road to catch you. So many people have fallen there, myself included. Its dangerous too if you fall out of the hard shoulder. If it happens to be anyway icy out there I'd recommend slowing to a virtual stop to roll over them.

I think in general you are pushing too hard on the bike. The speeds you are getting are very solid and given these are commutes, all the more impressive. Maybe drop the intensity on the commutes and focus some specific intensity on the turbo. Foam roller every night is overkill too. Your calves need to recover from the rolling!!

Foam roller every night is overkill too. Your calves need to recover from the rolling!!

cheers Mike, but do you really think foam rolling every night is overkill.... I have bad calves and they used to tear alot when I ran-- if I foam roll for 10mins each night and wear compression socks running then the calves are fine but if I forget to foam roll for few nights then run the calf will go again... I find the best thing for it is the foam rolling...

Light foam rolling for 10 mins is not much and grand. Proper lengthier foam roller use almost hurts like a deep tissue rub. You are breaking out the knots in the muscle fibre and they need time to recover and heal. Perhaps I'm wrong here :confused::o Maybe worth a discussion in the forum...

Well I have a few minutes to myself in work and unfortunately not logging any training as my calf (from treadmill) and my knee(from fall off bike) are still not mended yet so ....
    I was looking at next years calender- unfortunately i work 2 weekends out of 5 and it looks like alot of races I want to do next year are on weekends i'm working so after a bit of shuffling I think this will be my race calender for next season...
    Duathlon/adv race::
    17feb: Limerick Duathlon 5krun20kbike5krun (goal:do sub 21mins for both runs and strong bike)
    9mar: Keeper hill challenge: 39kbike/18k hill run (goal: finish higher than last year)
    7Apr: Boru Duathlon (not sure of distance, goal: finish)

pool based triathlon:
    20Apr: North tipp sprint 750mswim20kbike5krun (goal:1hr15mins)
    28apr: Joey Hannon sprint 750mswim20kbike5krun (goal:finish in top 15)
    (top 15 finish should be achievable as most people will out to do the NS olympic distance same day)

Triathlon:
    26may:Loch Cultra Middle distance 800mswim40kbike8krun (not sure about this race yet-just looking for something to fill the void in May and a good warm up towards Hell of west
    29june: Hell of west (1 of my 3 main races of year) 1500mswim44kbike10krun (goal: missed out on my 2hrs40mins last year by 6mins- so will keep the same goal this year and hopefully smash it so goal -beat 2hrs40mins
    21july: beast of east 1500mswim38kbike10krun, again this is one i'm not sure of yet-just trying to fill the july void..
    24Aug: Worldsend sprint 750mswim20kbike5krun (no.2 of my 3 main races of year) this is my home race and i finished top 20 last year with 1hr11minxxs- Aim this year will be to go for top 15- possibly top 10 and sub 1hr9mins
    31Aug: Brian boru olympic distance- 1500mswim40kbike10krun.. dissapointed that this is not on the National series this year but I will be doing it none the less as its another race on my doorstep.. will be looking at this race as a build up to my 3rd main race of season..
    14sept: The lost sheep middle distance tri..1900mswim83kbike21krun possibly my "A" race this year outside Hell of west and no.3 of my 3 main races of year.. stepping into the unknown..goal: would like to think i could do this in 5hrs30mins..40min swim, 2hrs45 bike (hilly) 2hrs run and transitions (think i could probably go faster but for time being these are goals as i have no Idea how flat or hilly bike and run course are)...

So thats it..
    In all.. 2 duathlons/1 long distance adventure race (around 3hrs)
    3 sprint tri's/1 mid distance (lough cutra)
    3 olympic distance tri's
    and 1 half ironman distance
    11 races in total..Roll on next Feb (hope my body holds up)

29thNov 2012
    SWIM>>> Ya ..actually got a swim in this morning- I have been neglecting this big time as its my weakest discipline (stupid of course) but anyway got 1500m done this morning..
    500m with pull buoy concentrating on length and hip rotation..
    500m without pull buoy trying to concentrate on keeping legs up and length and rotation..
    50m kick only with board- was moving for first 25m then came to a full stop so had to do a few strokes to keep going
    5 x 50m fast off 70secs, 1st was without pull buoy and came in on 55secs
    next 4 with pull buoy ..52s,53s,53s,52s... just looked back at my last set of 50's in september and it looks like my 50s are around 6seconds faster today??? couldnt be right... I was reading alot on total immersion swimming yesterday and tried to apply it to my swim today- length/touching hands infront/head looking straight down/ rotate the body not the head to breathe- maybe i took some of it in and getting faster??
    - mental note- DO MORE SWIMMING!!!
    200m warm down after

session: 1500m swim with drills- 40mins

30th Nov
    Turbo trainer arrived so got my first session done on it Friday...never sweat so much in a session in my life... was literally a pool of sweat under me when I finished... did sufferfest video "downward spiral"- thanks to Catweazle..
    10min warm up then 2mins flat out/2mins light...1min45s flat out 1min45light...1min30s flat out 1min30s light.... and so on to 15s flat out 15s light.. then 5mins wind down and then same again... was wrecked after it but was only 1hour so had a bit more time so just jumped on treadmill for 3k at 6mins/km to wind down...felt great after session.

session 1hr-turbo trainer followed by 3k treadmill

Monday 3rd Dec
    Well was away all weekend drinking at a mates stag so decided to make myself pay for it today... plan was turbo trainer- downward spiral folled by 5k fast on treadmill...actual... did full 1hr downward spiral on turbo...~10mins warm up followed by 2mins flat out/ 2 mins recovery, 1.45mins flat out/1.45mins recovery, 1.30mins flat out 1.30mins recovery.........all way down to 15secs flat out 15secs recovery then 5mins wind down then same again..actually nearly puked on the last 15secs flat out... few minutes wind down then onto treadmill..started at 4.45mins per km and brought it down over 4k to 4mins/km.. was absolutely wrecked after 4k so decided to call it a day- enough punishment for 1 day..

session 1hr turbo followed by 20 mins treadmill

tuesday 4th dec
    had loads on today so didnt get a chance to train

wed 5th dec
    Another hard turbo trainer session today- stuck on a movie and did steady state (prob 7/10 - 10 being flat out) on turbo for duration of movie- 90 minutes later and a pool of sweat below the trainer... popped off turbo and on with the runners and onto the treadmill for 30mins... did nice light 5k in 28mins then warm down... solid 2 hrs training and felt great after it

session 1hr30mins treadmill followed by 30mins treadmill

Thursday 6th dec
    Plan today was long run...problem was it was lashing rain out all day... anyway on with the hat and jacket and out for run in the rain...had planned to try do 20k..this would be again my longest run ever.. run went well for first 15k- was soaked to skin but enjoying it, knees really felt the last 5k and are in absolute bits as i type but delighted to get a 20k run done at 5.08mins/km...1hr42mins54secs

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/evbheqqlpleqelj3

session 20k run 1hr42mins54secs 5.08mins/km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done on the long run trig. Some going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I agree with Solobally8, nice run!! Congrats on the distance. And those trainer to treadmill sessions are great practice for the real bike to run transition. The legs always feel so wobbly when you first start to run.

Yeah good work all round Boney :-). Well done on the long run. Was that Sam's stag? I was speaking to Stu on wed after he fought the water for a few lengths and he said MikeMcD was getting feisty! Sounded like a great night! How's the Bro getting on? Given the progress you are making he will have his work cut out for him !

Yeah good work all round Boney :-). Well done on the long run. Was that Sam's stag? I was speaking to Stu on wed after he fought the water for a few lengths and he said MikeMcD was getting feisty! Sounded like a great night! How's the Bro getting on? Given the progress you are making he will have his work cut out for him !

yeah Mike it was sam's stag, good laugh, bit boring though! were not all young twenty something year olds anymore... Ger is training very well, he's doing way more than me getting 11 sessions done a week- I'll never challenge him unless I can get faster with the swimming and the running but we'll wait and see, hopefully santa will get me some swimming lessons :)

Sat 8th dec
    hard sweaty session on turbo..4X20mins just under race pace with 3 mins recovery between each...didnt go straight flat out into the 20's but wound them up to flat out for last 5mins-- absolute sweatfest but starting to love these turbo sessions,, for what its worth- dont know if it means anything I'm doing the 20mins in gear 2 on turbo and 3rd heaviest gear on my bike at back and big cog on front- timed my cadence a few times during the pieces and its coming in at 88-90 rpm

session 4x20mins on turbo

Monday 10th dec
    80mins steady state on turbo at around 7/10 (10 being flat out) I'm a bit of a sadist - this was actually self harm!!! but I loved it, closed all the windows in the room, turned on the heating and put on an extra top--- sweat was pouring out of me after 10 minutes so you can imagine what it was like after 80minutes- went through 2 litres of water during session- onto treadmill after for 10minutes wind down at 6mins/km ... weight should start falling off soon if i keep these sessions up.

session 80mins turbo 10mins treadmill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sounds like someone is having fun on their turbo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Trig1 wrote: »
    80mins steady state on turbo at around 7/10 (10 being flat out) I'm a bit of a sadist - this was actually self harm!!! but I loved it, closed all the windows in the room, turned on the heating and put on an extra top--- sweat was pouring out of me after 10 minutes so you can imagine what it was like after 80minutes- went through 2 litres of water during session- onto treadmill after for 10minutes wind down at 6mins/km ... weight should start falling off soon if i keep these sessions up.

a sadist is right, you training for really warm climates;)
    dont forget to cover the handlebars and top tube, and wipe them down with some water after the turbo, as the salt from the sweat will eat it away, learned the hard way, had an old bikr for the turbo and the sweat actually eat through the handlebars, only noticed when i went to change the tape, there were holes and it was held together by the bar tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

BennyMul wrote: »
    a sadist is right, you training for really warm climates;)
    dont forget to cover the handlebars and top tube, and wipe them down with some water after the turbo, as the salt from the sweat will eat it away, learned the hard way, had an old bikr for the turbo and the sweat actually eat through the handlebars, only noticed when i went to change the tape, there were holes and it was held together by the bar tape.

:eek: Seriously - that's gas, had no idea that could happen. I put a towel over my handle bars, comes in handy as a remote control holder. Never thought about protecting the top tube. Although I dont tend to use my turbo as much as ye mad yokes and also as I'm a lady I obviously dont sweat, I just perspire :D

Sorry for hijacking your tread Trig:)

Solobally8 wrote: »
    :eek: Seriously - that's gas, had no idea that could happen. I put a towel over my handle bars, comes in handy as a remote control holder. Never thought about protecting the top tube. Although I dont tend to use my turbo as much as ye mad yokes and also as I'm a lady I obviously dont sweat, I just perspire :D

Sorry for hijacking your tread Trig:)

Ha ha, no bother Solobally, i'm sure you only glow anyway ;)

Tuesday 11th

Plan today was 1hr turbo at steady state with 3x5mins flat out followed by 50min 10k on treadmill...actual was 1hr turbo with at cadence 80 rpm with 3 X5mins flat out at 98-100 rpm and 5mins rest between each...got off turbo and straight onto treadmill for 10k-- started 10k at 5.18mins/km and intention was to increase speed throughout 10k, unfortunately got the "nudge" from the wife after 2k to get off treadmill and help her clean the house... the cons of training at home and not out on the road...planning 15k road run for tomorrow...weather permitting..

Session 1hr turbo with 3x5mins flat out and 2k treadmill

• Advertisement

Throw in some speed hoovering on top of the 2k and it would have been a good session :-)

Advertisement