Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to 2hr40min Hell of west in 1year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

didnt think I would be putting up a new p.b. during the winter training months but obviously the long runs are paying off...plan today was a 15k run at pretty decent tempo of 4.45mins/km... after a couple of km's I of course did something stupid..i realised I was feeling great and my 10k pb from last March of 45mins12secs was in target so I just kept the pace and aimed to do a sub 45min 10k- not very fast for some people but fast for me... anyway I was delighted to hit 10k in 44mins40secs and knock 32seconds off my p.b., only problem was I was on my 15k route so finished the 10k in the middle of nowhere- jogged/walked last few kms home- really enjoyable and chuffed with myself- reckon sub 43min is definitely on in race scenario...

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/aotqhtkt03bhb7tu

session: 10k run 44mins40secs

Sunday 16th Dec
    Light run at lunchtime in work- no idea of distance just nice 55min run...

Monday 17th Dec
    100mins on turbo today... 50mins at steady state ~6-7/10 at 65rpm then 4X5mins nearly flat out (9/10) with 5mins rest between each- cadence was 90+ rpm for each piece, finished with 10min cool down- watched "haywire" during session- good flick.

Tuesday 18th Dec
    1 hr on turbo -75 rpm at around 7/10 intensity followed by 5k on treadmill at 11.5kph with a couple of 100 strides thrown in at 14.5kph...felt bit of tightness underneath my left glute so took it easy for last 2k- needs a bit of foam rolling I reckon... good sweaty session again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What is it with left glutes?? I'm having an issue with mine too - may need to get some deep needling as something is not right and it's rather annoying.

Fri 21st Dec
    Missed last 2 days due to working long 12hr nights and no energy, usually do a run at work on nights but decided to rest the hamstring/glute area..so today plan was an etra hard session on turbo-- plan was 30mins warm up then 4X10mins hard with 5mins rest between each and 30mins cool down- 2hrs- actual was..did 30mins warm up-sweating buckets as usual-cadence was 68-70 for warm up then into 1st 10mins-at 90 rpm cadence- really hurt for last few mins- 5mins light and into 2nd 10mins and was wrecked after 3mins and stopped after 4mins- gave it another 5mins light and tried again but stopped again this time after 2mins- felt absolutely wrecked- dedided to cut my losses and just keep a nice steady state as long as possible- managed a full 90mins on turbo- that was this morn- looking back on session now I realised I was working nights last night until 4am- came home had 4hrs sleep minded kids hopped on turbo at 1pm and had not eaten anything since I got up out of bed - my own fault really, at least I got 90mins done anyway

session 90mins turbo with 1 10min piece

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

No point flogging yourself when it does not feel right on the turbo, was the same on a session yesterday.

Well I,m back I suppose after doing nothing for over a week except drinking and eating.
    Did 1 hour on turbo on christmas eve but that was about it. Went for a run new years eve but only lasted 2k until I had to turn around as my glute/top of hamstring was really sore.
    So today I got my bike off the turbo and out onto the road for a lightish 50k cycle.. nice handy cycle... felt good for most of it, a little tired towards end but good to get session done. Will add link soon

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/7dpmi6cdav3st639

3/01/2013.. Nasty turbo session
    Well I was determined to keep the training on track, couldn't get to pool and didn't want to risk running so back onto turbo to hurt myself.... closed all windows again put on extra fleece top and did 2 downward spirals on turbo. 10mins warm up followed by 2 mins flat out at 100-105rpm then 2 mins light, 1min45secs flat out, 1min45secs light, 1min30secs flat out,1min30 light....... and so on.. down to 15secs flat out,15 secs light ... was in pieces after it and soaked in sweat, 10 mins light then same again.... from 2mins flat out all way down to 15secs light... faltered a little on the 1min15secs flat out (thought I was gonna puke) but got it finished with couple mins light to warm down..... 1hour in total....

session.. 1 hour turbo with 2 downward spirals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cannot beat a quality hour of work on the turbo.. best bang for buck in tri training IMO!

4/1/2013
    Home from work late this evening so just another hour on turbo... nice steady state hour at 76-78rpm in a heavy gear.. good solid session.. slow cycle in the morning with a mate.. looking forward to the company .

session 1hr steady on turbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

I like the sound of your turbo sessions and it sounds tough. Excuse the ignorance but what kind of gear and turbo setting would you do that in - or is that what a downward spiral refers to??

Edit: meant to say I hope the injury clears up soon.

Hi banner...I usually have turbo gear left at 2 and move up and down gears on the bike.. downward spiral is a sufferfest session.... the downward refers to decreasing time from 2mins to 1.45mins etc. I usually have bike gear set on second smallest rear cog for these and largest front cog. For steady pace session today I had 3rd smallest rear cog.. hope this makes sense... only got turbo few weeks ago myself. Not even sure what to call each gear on the bike :o .. I just like going hard on it ;)

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hi banner...I usually have turbo gear left at 2 and move up and down gears on the bike.. downward spiral is a sufferfest session.... the downward refers to decreasing time from 2mins to 1.45mins etc. I usually have bike gear set on second smallest rear cog for these and largest front cog. For steady pace session today I had 3rd smallest rear cog.. hope this makes sense... only got turbo few weeks ago myself. Not even sure what to call each gear on the bike :o .. I just like going hard on it ;)

Thanks Trig, know what mean and it makes more sense to me than 52x16 thingy or whatever that naming convention is :) Will give it a bash.

5/1/2013
    Just a nice light 50k on bike today with a mate starting off cycling, really enjoyed it, pushed up the hills myself but besides that it was nice handy chatty cycle, must try get out for more of these...

will add link later once I download it

session 51k cycle 25.6kph 1hr59mins

Link for cycle on 5/1/2013...
    http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DerekBowen/4hinbkeub12bqm6u

7/1/2013
    Missed the session yesterday due to mother in law visiting so long cycle planned tomorrow..nothing like the SBR challenge to get the motivation going again... got down to the pool today for a swim...100m warm up then 2x 750m steady with 1 minute rest between them then 100m cool down... I was surprised with the 2x750's as I havent been in the pool in a few weeks but I felt really good and strong , trying to over-exaggerate my reach and trying to keep rolling my hips- seems to be working, the 2x750s took 15mins45secs and 16mins20secs- I know this is probably slow for alot of people but it is quite good for me (unfortunately I cheated a bit and used a pull buoy for the whole session :o ) anyway it was a 50m pool ...I really enjoyed it and I'm determined to get alot more swimming done over next few months-- hopefully the SBR challenge will keep me motivated

session - swim 2x750m with 100m wu and 100m cd- 1700m

8/1/2013 turbo
    Planned long cycle today but had to stay at home in case I was needed as the missus was unwell so long turbo session instead. Longest turbo so far was 90 mins so I said I,d do 2 hours today. 2 full hours at 80 rpm in a pretty heavy gear. I was actually sweating after 10mins. After the 2 hours I nearly swam out of the training room :eek: but I got it done.a long hard sweaty session, was wrecked after it! Will try get out on road tomorrow and swim tomorrow evening
    session 2hours turbo

I knicked your downward spiral session yesterday. Toughie but a goodie -cheers for that.

Well done on the 2 hour turbo sweatfest :eek:

I knicked your downward spiral session yesterday. Toughie but a goodie -cheers for that.

Well done on the 2 hour turbo sweatfest :eek:

Well done banner,its a good session, even better if you download or buy the downward spiral
    Sufferfest video and watch that while doing session... I got it off catweazle..... its class

9/1/2013 more turbo
    It was freezing out this morning so decided to do turbo again... tough 80 mins on turbo... 15 mins warm up then 5 x 5mins hard 5mins light then 15 mins at end to cool down.. the 5x5mins hard were hard...heaviest gear on bike and gear setting 2 on turbo 92-96 rpm, legs were dead after first one but persevered and got all 5 done... felt really strong for last 2.. took my heart rate once I finished last 3 and it was 164/168/168 not sure if that's good or bad but legs were dead......after the 80mins did 20 mins of leg raise,half squat and power clean just to torture myself more... but really to test the glute... glute felt ok so hopped on treadmill just to do 1k, to see how glute is and to get rid of my duck egg on the sbr challenge, did the 1k with no runners and it felt totally weird.... made me realise how hard I'm slamming my heels when I'm running....tried getting up on balls of my feet for the 1k... felt good. Was only doing around 9.5kph but was good to get the 7 mins done.. calves killing me after the 1k :( but good long 2hour session done.:D

session 80mins turbo 5x5min pieces with leg weights and 1k jog

10/1/2013 turbo and treadmill
    Just a handy hour on turbo tonight to loosen out legs as very stiff after yesterdays session, hoped on treadmill for 20mins afterwards to see how glute was, just 3k nice and light. Could still feel a bit tight but better than last week ...... progress I suppose

session 60mins turbo and 3k treadmill

• Advertisement

11/1/2013
    Not much done today as I was back working nights tonight so spent few hours in bed then had tilers in house for a few hours... managed to squeeze 35mins on the treadmill in...nice and light - just building up the distance in the hamstring/glute area slowly- leg felt good- varied speed and incline in the 35 mins...did 6.1km.. was nice and relaxed..few more leg weights after that to build up the hammers... power cleans/half squats and hamstring curls...

session.. 6.1km on treadmill and few leg weights

12/1/2013 midnight run
    Just back from a lovely midnight run- missed these runs, havent done one in a while due to injury and shutdown in work over christmas, so headed out tonight on a lovely run around the industrial estate, pitch dark but loads of stars out, not a soul to be seen- earphones on listening to music and singing away to myself- loved it, could have stayed out there all night, knees started getting sore after half hour so did last half hour cross country (well on the grassy verge alongside the path), only things i saw were a few rabbits running around while I was running. really nice relaxed run and thankfully glute area seemed to be behaving itself.. checked watch after a while and realised I was out running for over an hour- must get back to work quick before anyone misses me!! did around 11.5k- nice easy relaxed run..

session : ~11.5k run 1hr3mins

13/1/2013
    Plan was to go for a swim on the way home from work this morning but I was shattered tired- felt I might actually have drowned if i went for a swim so just went home to bed instead- my miserable 1.7k on the SBR challenge will be staying there for few more days.
    14/1/2013- another midnight run
    did another run tonight- same route as saturday night, had 2 companions with me this time so pace was fine- nice chatty run, cold out there too but i was wrapped up well- other 2 had t-shirts and shorts :eek: mad people.. anyway they headed back to work after 40mins so i decided to do 1 more loop and just pick the pace up a bit- finished the run in 59mins- few mins faster than other night- was still nice handy pace and no sign of injury flaring up so very happy with roughly 23k road running in 3 nights with no injuries :)

session - 11.5k run 59mins

16/1/2013
    Took 15th off as I needed to get back into days mode after working nights- honestly I was just shattered and needed a day off....the 16th I was full of beans so decided on 2hr turbo session followed by 5k on treadmill...actual was 70mins steady on turbo (watched last episode of series1 of the wire) then the wife burst in the door and gave me the look!!!! and asked "how long more will you be" I knew if i told her...another Hour and half she'd kill me so..told her i have 20mins left- she smiled and said she needed a hand with the kids... (dont know about the rest of you but yes sometimes I am frightened of my wife :o {hope she never reads this} ) ...anyway I hopped off the turbo after 70mins and just hopped onto the treadmill for 3k light- started to take up the pace but worryingly i felt my glute acting up again so brought pace back down to around 10kph..just 3k nice and easy in around 18mins...
    headed into work tonight to cover but took a detour by u.l. pool (wife didnt know of course.. ha ha got my own back on her :D) my aim was simply to get a time for 1.9km swim ( my HIM swim distance).. Aimed just to do a nice long relaxed swim with no pull buoy....so got to the pool and it was packed- i squeezed into the fast lane (probably shouldnt have but it looked the quietest and there were people doing breast stoke in slow lane) anyway off I went with no pull buoy and i felt good- definitely felt my legs were up a bit more out of water from training with the pull buoy- just nice long relaxed strokes- looked at my watch at 750m and was shocked that i just set a p.b. for U.L 50m pool at 16.15mins- I know - very slow but I wasnt racing and my fastest pool race time last year was 16.23 in a 25m pool in nenagh so I'm chuffed with that for this time of year with very little swimming done.... between 750m and 1500m I got caught in alot of traffic and had to stop a few times to let 4-5 people in a row doing sets pass me out (I bet they were cursing me- I know shotgun would have been cursing me :D).. anyway my 1500m time came in at 33.46 and from looking at my logs I think that is my fastest 1500m pool split too (and that with stopping a couple of times) only 8 lengths to go - didnt really push it until the last length- just tried to keep my length...finished at 41mins 56secs.. would definitely have been closer to 40mins if the lane was empty... anyway its a marker... 1.9km- 42mins- now to get that as close to 30mins as possible by september :D...

session: day: 70mins turbo/3k treadmill, evening 1.9k pool swim 42mins

17/1/2013...turbo
    Plan today was just a solid steady 80min turbo..cadence 75-80, got a bit bored after 45 mins so threw in 10 x 1min flat out,1 min light, was hitting a cadence of 107 for the flat out pieces, took my heart rate after each one and it didn't go over 158... that's good,I think..... really enjoyed the quick bursts of pace... signed up for a 100k cycle in killaloe on the 10th feb so looking forward to that... anyway .. good solid 80 mins on turbo.

session 80 mins turbo with 10x1mins flat out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Trig1 wrote: »
    signed up for a 100k cycle in killaloe on the 10th feb so looking forward to that

Let me guess......you will go flat out on it :D

Next time I am up in office I will stick up another Sufferfest for you - you seem to be getting good mileage out of that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

catweazle wrote: »
    Next time I am up in office I will stick up another Sufferfest for you - you seem to be getting good mileage out of that one

tut tut tut,
    not sharing with the rest of us:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

BennyMul wrote: »
    tut tut tut,
    not sharing with the rest of us:(

I don't want the cyberspace guards after me ;)

catweazle wrote: »
    Let me guess......you will go flat out on it :D

...of course ..flat out for the first 20k then hold on and hope no one passes me for the next 80k :D:D. Yeah those sufferfest video's are great, defo stick up another one if you have it, really good sessions, cheers

• Advertisement

20/1/2013 -RUN
    Missed the last 2 days due to working long hours and a bit of laziness- planned a swim Fri morn before work- alarm went off at 6 - just snoozed the alarm 6 times to wake up at 7 instead- 1 missed session- got home from work at 9pm too tired to do anything except put the kids to bed and have dinner- plan for yesterday was run at lunch time- unfortunatley i forgot i had my God-daughters birthday so had to skip away from work for 3hrs instead so 2 missed sessions- again too tired by time i got home to do anything... So planned 2 sessions today even though I was working 12.15hrs planned to get up at 6 and do 1hr turbo then a good tempo run at lunch time in work...set up the turbo last night- got my gear ready last night- went to bed at 10.30- all i had to do was haul my fat ass out of bed- alarm went off at 6- I just reset the alarm to 7 and went back to sleep- lazy ass!!!:mad::mad:- 3 missed sessions, was rightly pissed off with myself once I had got up out of bed...lunch time today and i actually got out for that run- listening to the Munster match on radio ..GO ON MUNSTER!!!...took a few minutes to warm up then started increasing tempo-- same run as I did twice last weekend in 1hr3mins and 59mins...felt good so just kept a nice solid fast pace- not 10k pace but just a little off it- knee was still a bit sore but nothing major- did it in 53mins20secs for the 11.5km route..
    have worked 8 out of last 10 days- 12hr shifts and still working the next 4 shifts- some overtime but it is taking its toll on my training- working nights for next 4 nights so planning long cycle tomorrow,swim tomorrow night, long turbo tuesday, run wednesday night and hopefully swim thurs night and turbo friday- we'll see how all that goes...

session- 11.5km run- 53mins20secs

Advertisement