Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent allowance entitlements

• 14-05-2012 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I have searched this site and the citizensinformation.ie website, but can't find an answer to my question. I am wondering if I would qualify for rent allowance/supplement in the following case:

I am 26, almost finished my degree (Dublin), and am moving back to my hometown. I worked before college but didn't qualify for mature student grants so my parents lent me the money for college and rent. I have been in private accommodation for most of the past four years, and my current lease has lasted 8 months.

As my home town is cheaper to live in I am moving back while I look for work. I have been and will continue to apply for jobs but am applying for JB/JA in the interim. My parents have always paid their taxes and have given me enough help so I don't want to burden them any more, so I want to move straight from my current rented accommodation to a rented house in my hometown rather than moving into my parent's house. I want to know if I would be eligible for RA/RS under these circumstances.

Any insight on this would be really helpful as I want to know what my options are before I decide on a course of action. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If your accommodation was being funded by parents, then it is likely that you will need a housing assessment from your local authority before being eligible to apply for rent supplement.

The only circumstances that this is not required is you have been in private rented accommodation for 6 months, and could reasonably afford the rent when you started the tenancy. This means from your own funds, not from social welfare payment or from funds from family members.

When doing the housing assessment, the first question that the local authority will ask you is why you can't move in with your parents. If you can't give them a good enough answer, they will likely refuse your assessment, and you won't be able to get rent supplement. If you can point to some issue, for example overcrowding, then you may be able to get the assessment. Also, some local authorities are stricter than others, so you won't know if you will be assessed until you apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

http://www.welfare.ie/en/schemes/supplementarywelfareallowance/pages/rentsupplement.aspx

read the link above

if you havent been renting privately for 6mths and can prove it then you will be assessed for your housing needs, I presume you are also applying for jsa or jsb as if your not on either of them then its highly unlikely that you will qualify for ra

Advertisement